Epilogue

Pure

Lay dreaded the day.
The day when he would be allowed to go back to China, and the day when Suho would insist on coming with him to the airport.
Lay never liked goodbyes.
So he was glad when he wasn't given the opportunity to say goodbye to his parents before he was sent to the school all those years ago.
But right then, he knew Suho was trying to take care of him like he always did.
He didn't need it; he didn't want it.
Why did it have to be this way?
Why didn't Baekhyun and Chanyeol or Kai and Kyungsoo have to say goodbye?
Heck, Kris and Tao or Sehun and Luhan weren't even born in the same country, yet they didn't have to say goodbye.
Why did it have to be us?
We could have stayed, or go home, or even fly to a different country and start a new life.
Maybe we do in another universe.
In this one, we don't.

"Xiumin called. He said he got home safe and his sister's almost as tall as he is now." Suho laughed lightly as he walked alongside Lay towards the restricted area.

"That's nice... I'm guessing we say goodbye here." Lay shifted his feet around, tugging on the shoulder strap of his duffel bag with his thumb.

"Yeah..." Suho gave Lay a small smile and opened his arms.
Lay took a deep breath to steady himself, before taking the smaller man into his arms.
He tried to ignore the way Suho nuzzled into his collarbone, the way his eyelashes batted against his neck, or the way his hot hands grip onto the back of his hoodie.
He tried to pull away after a few seconds, but Suho didn't seem to have any intention of letting him go yet.
Lay panicked.
He knew he had to let go, or he'd end up not wanting to, ever.
Before he knew it, he was pulling Suho's body closer against his own.
Don't leave me.
Lay was dying to say those words.
But Suho interrupted his unspoken thoughts.

"Do you love me?"
It was like a wake up call to Lay.
No, you can't.
This is a point of no return.
Heartache is the only possible outcome, do not prolong it.

"Of course I do... You're the best brother I've ever had."
Oh, how it hurt for Lay to force those words past his lips.
He slowly released Suho from his arms and smiles as brightly as he could while holding Suho by his shoulders.
The hurt was evident in Suho's eyes; the tears did a terrible job at masking them.
Lay's smile wavered a little, and he was starting to wonder if he made the right choice.
He decided he had though, when Suho spoke again.

"I-... You're the best brother I've ever had too. Listen... Chen asked me out yesterday."
Pure agony.
That's what it was for Lay.
He thought he'd grown numb after all those years of suppressing his love, but Suho's words stung him bad, reminding him of how painful love was.
The sooner he forgot how to love, the better.

"That's wonderful... I always knew you'd be with him."

"Really... How?"

"'You learn to love the people you take care of.' You said that yourself, did you not?"

Lay looked tenderly at Suho.
He was frowning slightly and his eyes were focused on his feet, seemingly deep in thought.
Lay told himself it was the perfect time to slip away unnoticed.

"Call me..."
Lay heard Suho's trembling voice as he turned to walk away from him.

"I will."
I won't.

 

 

Author's Note:

Here is the epilogue, as promised.

I apologize for the short chapter, the feels are pretty concentrated (wat)

I hope you liked it, and please don't kill me if you wanted a happy ending ;__;

I almost cried too.

Anyways, please stay tuned for my newest story <3 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/766432/hearts-and-brains-exo-hunhan-taoris-kaisoo-xiuchen-flangst