Chapter 5

Pure

Sehun's instincts didn't even allow time for him to verify if it really was Luhan screaming.
The young boy stumbled on his landing and half crawled over to Luhan's bed.
Luhan was still screaming in his sleep, and the noise was hurting Sehun's ears, chest, lungs, heart, everything.

"Luhan, Luhan!" Sehun threw his arms around Luhan's bony shoulders and shook him with just enough force so that the latter would stop the loud cries.
It died down, but was replaced by violent sobbing and almost incoherent cries.

"I'm sorry... I'm, I'm sorry! ... Please don't go..."
It pained Sehun so much to hear Luhan strain his lovely voice and those words, oh how it made Sehun want to take the wailing boy into his arms.
Sehun couldn't possibly leave Luhan's side when he was such a train wreck.
He gently took Luhan's hands, which were clutching tightly onto his blanket, into his own.
They were shaky and damp with sweat, but the bony fingers were ice cold.

"I'm here." Sehun whispered into Luhan's ear as he tightened his grasp around Luhan's hand.
He repeated them again and again, until Luhan wheezed out no more than a few whimpers.
The poor boy was still shaking, so Sehun started the back of his hands with the pads of his thumbs in slow circular motions.
Feeling a tiny bit relieved, Sehun sat on the edge of Luhan's bed, holding their hands close to his chest.
It was definitely a really bad nightmare. The question is, whether it was once reality or not.

 

The next morning, Sehun opened his eyes to find himself half lying on the edge of Luhan's bed, his fleece blanket draped lightly over his body.
Luhan wasn't there.
Sehun fought away the drowsiness and sat up, searching the room for Luhan.
He hated how Luhan always left him with a million unanswered questions.
Did he know he was screaming like a wounded animal?
Did he know I was trying to comfort him?
Did I scare him away?

Then all of his questions flew away when Luhan stepped into the room.
He had changed into a white oversized jumper and worn out jeans.
His eyes landed on Sehun.
They flickered just a little before Luhan softened his gaze and turned around.
Sehun got the answers to his questions.
Luhan knew.

 

Class wasn't going by as quickly as Sehun would have liked it to.
He was a bright kid, and he pretty much could go straight to college if it wasn't for his "peronsality disorder".
He didn't bother listening to the teachers, and his neighbors weren't all that focused either.
Tao was looking into his pocket mirror and fixing his hair, while D.O helped Kai with English on his little whiteboard.
Sehun eyed the clock in annoyance.
Still another twenty minutes till lunch.
He had been trying hard not to look at the one person on his mind, and sometimes he tried distracting himself by talking to Tao.
But in the end he kept finding himself in a daze, looking at Luhan.
Luhan didn't seem to notice Sehun looking though.
He kept his eyes on the teachers the whole time, except for when he had to write notes down, and then his dark brown hair would reveal his pale nape and his bangs would brush against his eyes, making Sehun feel butterflies in his stomach.
He looks so tired. 
Does he scream every night? 
Is that why he always looks so tired?

Sehun frowned at the sight of Luhan trying hard not to fall asleep, propping his head up on his elbow.
He wondered if anyone knew about the screams.
Chen and Xiumin are next door.
Sehun's eyes landed on Chen, who was sitting diagonally from him in front.


Did you hear Luhan scream last night?


Sehun quickly scrawled on a page in his notebook, read it to make sure it was legible, then tore it out.
He crumpled the sheet into a paperball and tossed it at Chen.
He watched anxiously as Chen glanced back at him for a second, then opened up the note.
Sehun didn't know what answer he was supposed to anticipate when Chen wrote what seemed to be an essay, before finally throwing the note back at Sehun in the same form it left him.
Sehun fumbled with it a little and cursed his shaky hands until he managed to open it up.


Yes. I was surprised it only lasted a while though. What did you do? Luhan screams every night. Minseok hyung and I just listen to music through headphones when we sleep to block out the screams. I wasn't sure what was happening on my first night, I thought Luhan was being attacked so I ran into Luhan's room and he was swinging his arms, and I got a black eye. Did you not get hurt? Lucky you. How did you stop him screaming anyway? I'm gonna do that if you're ever taken away.


Sehun looked up and met Chen's eyes.
He sure as hell wasn't going to let the careless boy touch Luhan, so he shrugged at him.
He couldn't deny though, he felt a little possessive.
He wasn't going to let anyone touch Luhan.

 

Luhan wasn't in his room after lunch.
Sehun returned to their room, only to find Luhan's plate outside the door.
He carefully stepped over the plate and entered the room, and it was empty.
Luhan wasn't at his desk reading.

"Oh? He's out already?"
Sehun turned around, and there was D.O and Kai at the door, the latter picking up Luhan's plate.

"What do you mean?"


He goes out after lunch sometimes and doesn't come back till dinner. We don't know where though.


With that, D.O tugged at Kai's sleeve and they left, presumably to do washing up.
Sehun stood in place, puzzled as he pondered through all the possible options.
He then realized he still didn't know the school grounds very well, and he would never be able to figure out where Luhan was until he knew every crack and crevice there.
He decided to go search for Luhan and maybe on the way familiarize himself with the school grounds.
Killing two birds with one stone.
He shoved his hands in his jeans pocket and left the dorm, letting his feet carry him to wherever they felt like it.
He passed by a few kids who were playing rugby in the field on the way to the running track, and they all eyed him suspiciously.
Sehun didn't care though, all he wanted to do was find Luhan.
He saw what looked like the teacher's dormitory building, which looked nothing compared to his dirty old grey building with paint peeling off the walls.
He scoffed at it before moving on, deciding Luhan would have no business near there anyway.
He saw other dormitory buildings as well as a building with steel exteriors and a triple bolted door.
It gave Sehun chills down his spine so he picked up his pace and walked away from it.
He approached the running tracks, and his heart almost jumped out of his ribcage in joy when he saw the familiar head of sun kissed hazel brown hair.
He knew Luhan saw him from the way his eyes widened and locked his gaze on him.
Luhan made no effort to leave, and he hadn't blinked at all until Sehun reached him.
He looked up at Sehun with curious and uncertain eyes.
Sehun simply sat down next to Luhan on the bench with a two feet gap in between them.
The sun had begun tinting the skies red, and Senun's feet ached from all the walking so he was glad to finally have found Luhan.
He turned his head, expecting for no reason for Luhan to be looking at skies, and he was surprised to find that the pale boy was indeed staring at the golden sun in the distance.
Sehun felt like he knew so much about Luhan it's uncanny, yet in reality he'd only just met him for a day.
Feeling closer to the boy than ever, Sehun couldn't contain his feelings and quoted from The Little Prince again.

"'You know-- one loves the sunset, when one is so sad...'"
Luhan craned his neck and his eyes connected with Sehun's.
Sehun liked how there was a golden and red tinge to Luhan's dark colored eyes, reflecting the sunset and looking more sparkly than usual.
He liked how he could see what Luhan was feeling through his eyes, even though he was so quiet, and he wondered how no one knew anything about Luhan when his eyes were so expressive and beautiful.

"'Were you so sad, then?'"
Sehun wasn't expecting Luhan to reply, so it caught him by surprise when Luhan's angelic voice rang beside him.
Luhan was looking at Sehun with so much anticipation in his eyes, that Sehun felt obliged to say something.

"Do you love the sunset?" Sehun knew the Little Prince never replied to that question in the book, so he didn't either and asked instead.
Luhan's pursed his lips a little, then he relaxed again and blinked at Sehun.

"Yes."

 

 

Author's Note:

Sorry for the crapy chapter.

I am so sleep deprived aaaaaargh letmedieinaholekkaebsong