Chapter 18

Addiction, Affliction, Affection

Siwon's P.O.V

Changmin came to my house in his car to pick me up. Then both of us drove off to Kyuhyun's house. On our way, Changmin said "I have told Kyu's housekeepers and butlers that he was staying over with me for a month and that I was taking care of him as his dad said in the hospital when he called earlier. So I advice you to keep it that way and not bluff out some nonsense"

 

"Yes sir, Sgt.Shim sir!"I said and mock saluted him.

 

"You brat! How dare you make fun of me?" he said. Likewise both of us had loads of fun pulling each others legs. By the time we reached Kyu's house it was 8 p.m. At the door step we were greeted by his butler.

 

"Good evening Master Changmin and...?" he drawled.

 

"I am sorry but I dont think we have been properly introduced. My name is Choi Siwon. I brought Kyuhyun home a few days ago remember?" I said to him.

 

"Oh yes I remember. Pleased to meet you Master Siwon. May I know the purpose of your visit?" he asked us.

 

"Yes. Actually Kyuhyun said he needed a few things from home so we thought we would bring them over to him."Changmin said.

 

"Oh yes! Master Kyuhyun is staying over at your place after all. What does he need exactly?" his butler asked.

 

"Um! He needed a few more clothes and some other stuff. We will get those ourselves from his room!" Changmin said.

 

"Of course. As you wish Master Changmin" he said and we both headed upstairs to his room. Just when we made sure that the coast was clear, Changmin said "Alright! We will get whatever we possibly can get our hands on from his dad's study, grab a few clothes from Kyu's room just not to arouse suspicion and get outta here!"

 

"Right! Sgt..."just when I was about to again he said "Call me that again and I will bury you alive!"

 

On that note, we walked past Kyu's room and reached his dad's room but much to our misfortune it was locked.

 

"Damn! Its locked! Now what?" I asked Changmin. We both looked around cluelessly for a while and suddenly I thought that it was the right time to ask Kyu for help. And so I dialled his number.

 

"What are you doing? Who are you calling?" Changmin asked.

 

"Kyuhyun, who else better than him to help us in this situation." I said and a few seconds later Kyu picked up.

 

Siwon! Whats up? Kyu asked me.

 

"Hey Kyu! How are you doing sweetheart?" I asked him.

 

Siwon are you crazy? You just spoke to me an hour ago! he said. What a snarky, unromantic boyfriend I've got!

 

"But Kyu! You know how I miss you right? But you dont seem to miss..." I said and noticed Changmin's reaction from the corner of my eye. He was facepalming out of annoyance and said "You....are....useless...Choi Siwon! Gimme that!" and snatched my phone from my grasp.

 

Changmin's P.O.V

 

"Kyuhyun! I swear I am gonna kill that brainless boyfriend of yours someday. Anyway we are standing cluelessly in front of your dad's locked room. And here I thought that we would be able to find some substantial evidence against him!" I said to Kyu.

 

Ha ha ha! Oh! You guys are there? Dont worry Chwang, the spare keys to his room are hanging on the wall beside his big portrait. You wouldnt be able to miss it! he said to me.

 

I looked around for a big portrait of his father and noticed the keys hanging on the wall beside it. I grabbed them and said "Ya got them! Thanks a lot Kyu"

 

Alright! And Chwang, spare my boyfriend's life for my sake please! he said to me in his trademark cute tone.

 

"You dirty sweet-talker! Fine I'll spare him...FOR YOU! Take care alright. I am hanging up. Bye!" I said and hung up. I threw Siwon's phone over to him and he caught it and asked "So, did Kyuhyun say that he missed me?"

 

I threw him a dirty look and said sarcastically "No! He said to go and screw yourself. Ugh! You're so annoying! Can we pay attention to the task at hand please?"

 

"Alright alright! No need to be so uptight!" he told me.

 

We unlocked the door to his dad's room and I asked Siwon to keep a close watch outside and give me a heads up if anyone was heading our way.

 

I went closer to his desk that looked like it was ransacked and the papers were strewn around everywhere. Amidst the mess, I d for whatever that I could get my hands on and started taking pictures. Siwon kept signalling me that it was safe from time to time.

 

I reached up to the top of his shelf and found a few papers that seemed like business tenders and proposals. Keeping them aside, I searched for more and finally found something interesting. It was about the land acquisition for the new college of which the construction was about to go on floors 3 months from now. Supposedly it seemed as if he was trying to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with a Korean MNC directed by a lady by the name of Kim Yeon Hee. And as per the document, if everything went well and the MoU was signed the MNC which has its roots in Taiwan could probably open up a horde of job opportunities for the students of his University. But something didnt click right to me and somehow all these seemed like only the tip of the iceberg. As far as I know, real estate property in the heart of the city cannot be acquired that easily! It might take atleast a year to negotiate with the government officials to get it sanctioned. But according to the document, it took only 2 months. How is that even possible? And why is he in a hurry to get it built? Did he bribe anyone? Could he be planning something sinister? Oh god this is crazy!!! Anyway I took photos of these documents as evidence to show them to Kyu when we go and visit him tomorrow.

 

Suddenly Siwon signalled me from outside that someone was coming our way. I bolted out of his dad's study, locked it and hung the keys beside his portrait. Before Kyu's butler made it, we scurried inside Kyu's room and began packing up some of his clothes to fool him.

 

"Is everything ok here? I brought you two tea!" he said and offered us two cups of tea. Sighing out of relief Siwon said "Yes, ugh, everything is fine. As matter of fact, we are done here! We will be on our way. Right Changmin?"

 

"Uh! Oh ya. We have everything that Kyu needed. We were just leaving. Thanks for the tea anyway" I said and headed downstairs.

 

We thanked him once again and made our way outside towards my car. Holding onto our so called evidences we both rode off from his house immediately.

 

On the way Siwon asked "So, Were you able to find anything?"

 

"Ya! Although it might be a little obscure, I think we have a possible lead that might help in nabbing Kyu's dad!" I said.

 

"What did you find then?" he asked me.

 

"Its about the land that was supposedly acquired illegally to build the new state of the art University. You know the one for which we are hosting the fund raiser in a month! I am pretty sure that he would have bribed to get it sanctioned this quickly. Although we still dont have enough evidence now, we can definitely find something if we can get our hands on his emails. Unfortunately though, the only expert hacker that I know is Kyu and he is in rehab now!" I said.

 

"Um! You are looking at one right now!" Siwon said and raised his collar a bit.

 

"What? You? You are hacker?" I asked him incredulously.

 

"Oh come on! Is it so hard to believe? I'll prove it to you tomorrow at school how much of an expert hacker I am!" he said.

 

"Why cant you show it to me now? We can hack his account from your house!" I said to him.

 

"Oh Sgt. Shim! Please use your brains for once! If I hack his account from my personal computer, I would get caught if my IP address gets tracked in future. We will have to do it from a certain place where the public gains access to it everyday. And that is the school's computer lab. Of course, even if it gets tracked no one will be able to point fingers at one specific student since the same system gets used by hundreds of other students. You get what I am saying?" he asked me.

 

"Alright fine. But we will have to do it discreetly. No one should have even an atom of suspicion at us" I told him.

 

"Of course. And dont you think that you are forgetting something?" he asked raising an eyebrow.

 

"Forgetting something? No nothing that I know of" I said to him.

 

"Liiikeee....Telling me that I am not as brainless as you had thought out to be....you know you should give me some credit!" he dragged on.

 

"Seeing is believing Siwon. Just hack his account successfully tomorrow and I promise that I will never call you brainless ever again" I said while he laughed in response. The way we talked to each other seemed like we were best buddies since forever and I was happy that we had become comfortable around each other so quickly! Soon we reached Siwon's house and I dropped him off.

 

He got off the car and said "So, See 'ya tomorrow Sgt.Shim. Be prepared to be amazed by my expertise in hacking tomorrow. You wont be disappointed!"

 

"Huh! Whatever dude! Anyway, see you at school. Good night!" I said and noticed him plugging onto the earphones for listening to another one of Kyu's songs and disappearing into his apartment building.

 

"What a love-sick bastard!"I said to myself while chuckling and drove off to my house.

 

Siwon's P.O.V

 

I wonder what Kyu would be doing now! I noticed the time and it was 10p.m. I cant possibly call him now, he probably might be resting or sleeping. As I made my way upstairs, I noticed that the door to my house was unlocked. But I was positive that I had locked it before heading out with Changmin. I stealthily went inside my house without making any noise fearing the presence of burglars. As I made my way into the kitchen I noticed that it was my dad. He was apparently cooking dinner. He heard me coming in and turned around.

 

"Ah! Siwon. Where had you been? I came to see you but you werent in the house!" he said.

 

"But dad I thought that you would visit during weekends! And I had to go meet up with a friend of mine too." I said.

 

"Alright fine. Now go wash up. I made kimchi stew and rice" he chirped and disappeared into the kitchen again.

 

I changed into my house-wear and helped him prepare the table for dinner. We both sat down and started eating.

 

"So, how is Kyuhyun doing in rehab?"he asked me. I smiled inwardly after realising how much my dad had started to like Kyu.

 

"Ya! He said that he was just tired due to the withdrawal symptoms. He is fine nevertheless!" I told him.

 

"Really! Thats excellent news! It might be hard in the beginning but he will come around quickly!" he said while I just huffed taking in a spoonful of rice with the stew.

 

"You are behaving like a love-sick puppy now! How cute!" my dad said and pinched my cheeks. Wiping my cheeks furiously I said "Ah dad! Of course I miss him, what did you expect? And by the way he gave me a little present so that I wouldnt miss him that much"

 

"Oh how romantic! What did he give?" he asked curiously and I showed him the little MP3 player with his songs. Grabbing it from my hand, my dad plugged the earphones in and listened to one of his songs completely ignoring his dinner. It seemed like he too was completely blown away by Kyu's voice. Tapping my foot impatiently, I reached forward for the earphones and yanked it out of his ear.

 

"You insecure brat! I am not gonna steal your boyfriend away from you. Jeez!" he yelled at me.

 

"Anyway, how was it? His voice I mean" I asked as I blushed.

 

"Beautiful and divine! I couldnt have asked for a better life-partner for my son than him. He is undoubtedly a bundle of talent!" he praised Kyu. Feeling proud of my far-off boyfriend I asked "By the way dad, how come you dropped by so suddenly?"

 

"I had come for a meeting nearby. And it concerns the fund raiser that your school has decided to host in a month."he said.

 

"Really! Thats wonderful. So our company is providing funds?" I asked.

 

"Of course. Thats what was decided in the meeting with Kyuhyun's dad, Mr.Cho today and I decided to pay you a visit since I was in the neighbourhood" he said.

 

I literally choked on my food when he mentioned Mr.Cho. But wasnt he supposed to be in Taiwan for a month?? Something isnt right!

 

"Whats gotten into you suddenly?" he asked me when he noticed me gagging on my food.

 

Gulping down a glass of water I asked him "Did you just say Mr.Cho as in Kyuhyun's dad?"

 

"Of course I did! What? You think I should be calling him your father-in-law? Ha ha ha ha!" my dad broke into a fit of laughter afterwards.

 

"Ha Ha! Very funny. So what did Mr.Cho tell you about the fund raiser?"I asked him curiously.

 

"Nothing much. We just discussed about the usual procedures and I issued him a cheque of 1 million won as I am one of the official funders for your school. And there was a beautiful woman beside him as well." he told me.

 

"Who was it dad? Was she his current wife?" I asked.

 

"I am not sure if she is his current wife but she did seem like she was quite close to him. And her name was Kim Yeon Hee I guess" he said.

 

"Dad what does she look like? Do you have any of her photos?" I asked him.

 

"I wish but no! You can visit her company's website. I am sure they've got photos of her in there" he said to me. After dinner, I visited the website of her company and my dad was right. The name of her company was Kim Corps. And the company specialises in almost everything from constructions, power sector, health care, hotel business to manufacturing. There were loads of pictures of her and she seemed to be in her early fifties according to me. But what surprised me the most was that Kyu's dad was here, when he supposedly said that he was in Taiwan. Why did he have to lie? I must tell this to Changmin and Kyuhyun tomorrow at any cost.

 

On that note, I made my way to my bed and thought of catching some sleep.

 

Next day at school.....

 

I rushed to my classroom and looked around for Changmin. He was with Zhoumi and Yonghwa in the council room planning the events for the fund raiser. Zhoumi was busy penning down the lyrics for the song that they would be performing for in the opening concert. Yonghwa was updating the official blog of our school with the names of the sponsors who had come forward with funds. Scooting closer to Changmin I whispered "Um! I need to talk to you. Its urgent!"

 

"Alright! Meet you outside in two!" he said. Afterwards Changmin excused himself from Yonghwa and Zhoumi and asked "What is it?"

 

"Kyu's dad is here. He has not gone to Taiwan" I said.

 

"What? What do you mean by he is here? Who told you this?" he asked in a bewildered state.

 

"My dad met up with Kyu's dad yesterday to discuss about the fund raiser. And he said that Kim Yeon Hee was with him too" I told him.

 

"This doesnt make any sense! Why did he lie to Kyu that he was out of town? He must be up to something, but what?" he asked me frustratedly.

 

"Thats what I dont know yet! But I did some research on Kim Yeon Hee though. She is the director of Kim Corps, a huge Korean MNC based in Taiwan and various other Asian countries. It was supposedly started 10 years ago and has a large stake at the stock market. And about her, she is a widow but she has a son who is a first year high school student." I told him.

 

"Alright! We will investigate on it after school. Till then just lay low. Did you tell Kyu that his dad was still in town?" he asked me.

 

"Oops! Forgot about it. I'll tell him right away"I said. Afterwards I texted Kyuhyun saying that his dad was still in town. He called me almost immediately and started asking details about it. We talked for a few more minutes and hung up as the classes were starting.

 

However the council members were exempted from classes in view of preparations for the fund raiser. While Yonghwa and Zhoumi said that they had to put up fliers around the campus, Changmin and I decided to get our plan into action making use of this opportunity. We both hurried over to the computer lab in the third floor of the high school block. Lots of students were busy with their own systems and that provided us the perfect alibi. At the farthest corner of the lab, we spotted a computer that was free. Changmin and I made use of it to hack into the account of Kyu's dad.

 

"Are you sure you can do this?" Changmin asked me.

 

"It wouldnt hurt for you to trust me just this once Changmin!" I said and worked my magic. After a tiring 20 minutes, I finally managed to hack into his account. After flashing a victorious smile to Changmin, I opened his mail box and started reading his mails one by one. There were some regarding the tax dues, some mails that were about the purchase of the land and finally something that caught my attention. Changmin was also keeping a close watch beside me on the contents. I clicked on a particular link and opened it and found many private pictures of Kyu's dad standing along with Kim Yeon Hee holding hands with a young boy. The date on the photograph suggested that it was taken 10 years ago.

 

"What the hell are these? And who is this woman and this kid?" Changmin asked me.

 

"She is Kim Yeon Hee and the kid is probably her son. And did you notice the ring around her finger? If she really was a widow, whats this ring doing around her finger and why does it look like Kyu's dad and her are closer than they seem to be?" I asked in a puzzled tone.

 

"This might even be possible! Her first husband might have died years ago and she might have remarried to Kyu's dad afterwards secretly just to avoid speculation. So that must mean that he was in touch with her even before Jino was born. That conniving jerk!"Changmin added.

 

"That might be so. I better take this to Kyu while we visit him in the evening"I told him.

 

We scrolled down for further clues and found sent messages to a property dealer bribing him with scores of money to get the registration of the piece of land done within 2 months time. We were stumped after realising the fact that Mr.Cho has himself in deeper . And we both promised each other to help Kyuhyun out of this and never let him get harmed. A few more minutes from then on, Changmin and I switched the system off and exited the lab holding tight to the evidences that we had unraveled about his dad's escapades.

 

Thats it for this chapter guys. So many things getting revealed about Kyuhyun's dad in this chapter, so I thought to keep their visit to Kyuhyun in the next chapter. Hope you guys can forgive me for not including any legit interaction with Kyuhyun in this one. The next one will be promising...Stay tuned and connected my readers......