Chapter 8

How to Use Chopsticks

 

“Wow I never knew a girl like you would eat like this”Amber said looking quite amused. It was lunch and I was busy stuffing my face with food, I was seriously hungry.

“Why? How does a girl like me normally eat?”I said stuffing more food in my mouth. I'm a girl that likes to eat anything and sometimes forgets about my lady-like side….if I have one.

Amber shrugged “maybe like that girl over there” she said pointing at a girl on a table next to ours. The way she placed a tissue paper on the table and carefully placing her bread and apple on it made it look like she’s some princess. And that is defiantly not me.

I pushed my glasses up as it was falling off again and looked back at her. “That’s how you think I would eat?! Wow you really don’t know me”

“Well sorry I kind of just met you a few hours ago”Amber said laughing.

I looked over ambers plate and saw that she still had some kimchi. I heard her chuckle “oh my, gosh have it!” she said pushing the plate towards me. I looked at her “Vanessa the way you are eyeing it is like a hungry bear, just take it” she said shaking her head.

I took some of her kimchi and put it in my mouth“waah~ this is good!” I said taking another piece.

“Hey where did you get those chopsticks from? I just noticed they are the one kids use” she asked pointing at it. “Oh someone gave it me” she only nodded. I continued eating my food until I heard someone sitting next to Amber and started talking to her.

“Ya, did you hear we have a new student in our school?” the person asked. I was too busy with my food to look up even if it was about me. But I did notice it was a guy by the sound of his voice.

“De, what about her?” I guess Amber is playing along.

“I wonder if she’s cute” the guy said.

“Well you can stop wondering and find out now.” she said and pointed at me.

“Bwo?!”

“Vanessa I want you to meet someone”Amber said. I cleaned my mouth from any piece of food that didn’t land in my mouth and looked up and the guy.

“ITS YOU!” we both said.

“Yup it’s the guy who harassed you” Amber mumbled glaring at…..Joongki? I think.

“Aish jeongmallo I’ve met her before and I told you she nearly got hit with a ball I basically saved her life!” he said looking frustrated and then turned to me giving me a desperate look. I think he wants me to help him out so I just nodded at what he said.

“See I’m- oh! You’re still using the chopsticks?” he said pointing at it and smiling. I looked at it and nodded at him.

“Pabo! You actually think she understands you?” Amber sighed.

“What do you mean she can’t understand? In the restaurant she knew what I was saying and even spoke Korean to me” he argued back “always picking on me” he mumbled.

“You speak Korean? Wait what restaurant? The place you work?” after asking so many questions she put her head on the table, exhausted from all the information she pushed in her head.

“I did try and tell you but—“she raised her hand up signalling me to shut up. I guess I went a bit over board…

“OPPA!!”

“And here come another headache” Amber mumbled, “Joongki leave before—“Amber got cut off by the girl that was eating like a princess.

“Oppa come sit next to me” she said while pouting.

“Sulli for the last time I'm fine where I am” Joongki said to Sulli and looked back at me.

“I’m actually touched that you still have that though” he said

I shrugged “why? Do you want it back? I mean I don’t see anything touching about it” I said.

“I like you even more” Amber said high fiving me.

“This girl is a bad influence stop hanging out with her and stay with me” he said I just shook my head. No thanks I rather stay with a girl that might be a bad influence to me.

“Oppa! How come you never ask me to hang out with you?” Sulli asked and glared at me.

What did I do?!

“Vanessa lets go” Amber said while standing up and picking up her stuff, I followed behind her. “I’ve had enough of that voice” she said when we walked out the cafeteria.

“Whose? Sulli’s?” I asked.

“Yup, oh and I’m going to get my revenge on you for acting like you could speak or understand Korean.” She said. “B-but I tried telling you~!!”

 

It was end of class and I was walking down the hall heading towards the exit.

“Vanessa wait!”

I turned around and saw Joongki and smiled at him “what’s wrong?” I asked.

“Nothing just wondering if you are going to the restaurant again? I’m heading there” he asked.

“No sorry not today, I'm so tired I just want to go home” I said walking again. “Oh I guess that’s a good reason.” We both got out of the school; I looked up the sky it looks like it’s going to rain soon I thought. And I didn’t bring my umbrella! I signed and looked across the road to see Jongsuk there.  I gasped and hid behind Joongki before he could see me.

“What are you doing?”

“Just stand still” and I felt him stiffen. I rolled my eyes “not to still gosh” I said.

I took a daring peak and saw Jongsuk looking at us. Oh no!

 

Jongsuk’s POV

“Sir Do you know the reason why Vanessa is not around on those days” Luna asked the teacher when class ended.

“She is getting tutored to improve on her Korean and such” the teacher said. Luna nodded and thanked the teacher before leaving the room.

That scene keeps replaying in my head something doesn’t seem right. I looked up the sky and noticed the clouds are starting to look dark “lucky I brought my umbrella” I said and continued walking to the bus stop.

I don’t understand though her Korean is perfect, I just signed and rubbed my neck. I looked across the street and saw a glimpse of a girl when she hid behind a guy. Was that Vanessa?

I stopped and looked again and then the school I just shook the thought out of my head and continued walking.

 

Vanessa shook her head “now why the hell would I follow you, for your information I am going somewhere” she said, “where?” I asked raising my eyebrow up. She pointed to the school behind me “now if you’ll excuse me I'm busy, goodbye!” she said while crossing the street.

 

I stopped and looked over that guy again and the girl behind him again…..it couldn’t be right?