Chapter 2

How to Use Chopsticks

 

Joongki’s POV

“Excuse me can you please move out the way!” I said trying to get past the people on the street.

I just got out of detention and I really didn’t want to be late for work. Stupid teacher I didn’t even do anything, the guy next to me just kept pissing me off. I ran in the restaurant passing my boss, “your late.” he said I walked in the staff room ignoring him and got my uniform on.

“OPPA!!” I signed ‘oh no’.

“Oppa why are you late did you get in trouble again?” Sulli asked with her squeaky voice, I just ignored her while walking in the kitchen with her following me behind. “Joongki-shi can you take this to table 2 please” the cook asked while placing the food on a tray.

I got the tray of food and walked up to the table. I stopped when I saw who was on the table….a foreigner? I looked behind me seeing all the staff eyeing me from the open kitchen; they know I can’t speak English so why— seeing my boss smirk at me evilly answered my question

 Punishment for being late… aish it wasn’t even my fault!

I shrugged it off and walked up to her; she was on her phone probably playing something. I could tell by her frustrated face. I cleared my throat to get her attention; she looked at me and then the food, I put the food and the chopsticks in front of her.

“Ah...Um” how do you say hope you have a nice meal in English?

“Thank you” she said…in Korean, “oh you speak Korean?!” I was kinda shocked normally they have a translator or something. She nodded at me “hope you have a good meal” I said with a smile on my face before walking away.

“Ya! Minwoo hyung, why did you make me serve her?”  I asked.

“It’s your fault for being late” he said patting my back before going in the kitchen, I followed behind him.

“Hyung that wasn’t my f-“

“YA! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING HERE IN THE KITCHEN WHEN YOU SHOULD BE WORKING?!” he said, well mostly shouted.  Everyone one seems to be looking at something.

“I swear no one listens to me” he said to himself before walking away.

“What are you guys looking at?” I asked. I followed their gaze and saw that they were looking at the foreigner who seems to be struggling with her chopsticks.

“Oppa look at her, can’t she just get a fork” Sulli said while chuckling.

I looked at the girl again; I guess I should help her. I walked up to her with a fork in my hands, “here it seems like you need it” I told her with a smile on my face and holding the fork in front of her.

“No thanks I'm good” she replied going back to her food.

I chuckled “are you sure you seem to be struggling with that”

“Well I want to learn using chopstick so would you mind?” she said starting to get annoyed. I raised my eyebrow at her response and walked back to the kitchen, “Oppa why did you do that?”

“Ya! Stop asking stupid questions, do you know where those kiddie’ chopsticks went?” I asked her ignoring her question. Why was I helping that girl anyways, maybe because she looks so helpless?

I felt someone taping my shoulders “oppa here they are” sulli handed me the chopsticks and I walked up to that girl and put it on her table. She looked at it then me, “baby chopsticks they are like trainees or something keep using it and then you’ll be able to use chopsticks” I told her giving her a smile.

She is a customer anyways.

“Wait I can keep this?”  I nodded. She stood up, bowed and said “gamsahabnida” and went back to eating.

 

Vanessa’s POV

The guy chuckled again before he left.

A few minutes later I finished eating and paid for my food before leaving. I walked to my bus stop and waited for it. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket; I picked it up without looking at the ID.

 “Hello?”

“Vanessa where are you?” it was my umma.

“Oh I went out for dinner, I wasn’t bothered to cook”

“Out? But there’s no restaurant around the neighbourhood” she said sounding confused.

“I know that’s why I took the bus to the city”

“What bus did you take?” she said sounding wary, “6 why?” I heard her sigh on the other line.

 

Jongsuk’s POV

~Nunul gamado uril bichudon
Bichi ajikto gudaero isso
Sojung haetton shigandul nan gipi ganjik hagesso~

I stood next to the bus stop and lowered my headphones a bit down.

“What do you mean that bus isn’t going to come back? How am I supposed to get back then?!”

I looked beside me seeing a foreigner talking on her phone. I was quite impressed at how fluent her Korean is.

I looked away trying to ignore her but she was a bit too loud “umma~ can’t you just pick me up then”

I looked at her again.

“Just give me the address so I can ask someone” she sighed after putting her phone away. She messed up her hair in frustration but stopped when she saw me.

I looked away; I don’t want her to think I was listening to her conversation. “Umm excuse me do you know what bus I have to take to bring me here” she ask me showing the address that was written on her phone.

She lives near me? I haven’t seen her around. “So do you?” she asked.

“Yeah its bus 23 it will be here in 10 minutes” I told her.

“Gamsahabnida” she smiled at me and looked the way the bus would be coming.

I put my headphones back on and turned it back up while waiting for the bus.

 

Vanessa’s POV

I smiled as I saw the bus coming. I paid the driver and looked for a seat, and it wasn’t really that hard as there weren’t so many people inside. I sat in the middle and saw the guy that helped me sit in a seat behind me.

Oh he takes this bus as well?