Chapter 1

How to Use Chopsticks

 

*Past*

 

Hello I'm Vanessa and I'm 12 years old, I live with my dad and stepmom. My mom passed away when she gave birth to me I felt bad that she lost her live because of me but my dad told me before she passed away she said she had no regret.

My stepmom is my mother’s best friend since childhood so she isn’t those bad stepmoms that you hear in stories. Actually I and she are close that I can call her umma. Umma means mom in Korean. As she’s born in Korea and moved to the US she taught me Korean, She and my dad got together when I turned 8 and got married.

My dad works in the army, he told me he would come back home for Christmas which is today so I'm so excited. I can’t wait till he comes; I better go clean up my room. While I was cleaning up my room the door bell rang, a huge smile spread on my face and I dropped what I was holding and ran downstairs to open the door but my umma beat me to it. She opened it and I thought it would be my dad at the other side of the door but instead there were two big guys. I looked at them wondering what they are doing here.

I saw their mouths moving but I couldn’t really hear what they was saying but it seemed to be something serious cause my umma’s reaction wasn’t really what I expected. She fell on her knees, I ran to her and saw a tear run down her face I looked up at those guys and they looked sad aswell.

“Vanessa your father passed away” she said I looked at her in disbelieve and then everything went black.

 

 

*5 Years later*

‘We have arrived in Seoul, Incheon airport. Right now its 6:15 am we hope you had a nice flight’

I walked out the plane right before I grabbed my bag and entered the busy airport. I signed I feel really out of place right now I thought but let it pass. I walked out to the exit and saw my stepmom waving at me; I smiled at her and gave her a hug.

“How was your flight?” she asked while taking one of my bags “alright I guess. I still don’t think there was a need to bring me in the first class section” I said, I don’t really like wasting money and all sorts. “Well it’s too late now” she said while putting the last bag in her car boot. We got in the car and she started it.

“So when will I start that school of yours?” I asked. My umma owns a school only for kids with a high status. She told me I would be attending there.

“Wait isn’t it Monday?” I asked she nodded not taking her eyes of the road, “shouldn’t you be at the school?”  I asked.

“Yes but I got a day off so I could pick you up and show you the place. Oh! And keep a look out we will be passing the school soon.” she said with a smile on her face.

5 minutes later I saw kids wearing two different school uniforms.

 I saw a school ahead where all the kids with blue uniforms walked in to “is that the school?” I asked, my umma looked up “nope that’s just a school that causes too much trouble” she said.

“They might not be the one who starts it” I said while looking away from the school. She really likes to judge people before knowing them. But really she’s not a bad person!

“There it is!” she said.

I looked out the window and saw a building that looked twice as big as the previous one. “That is a school?!” I blurted out.

“This is the school you own?! Why is it so big? I mean it’s not like you have the whole country as your student’s right?” I asked, my umma sighed. “I knew you would be like that. Always asking why things have to be big and such sort, can’t you just say well done for building up this school I can’t wait to enter bla, bla, bla” she complained, I just giggled at her comment.

We finally got home and she showed me around till she had to go back to the school right after it finished. I was getting bored just sitting in the house and decided to do something. So I went to my room, grab my blue hoodie and my big specs. I walked back downstairs and put on my converse and left the house.

I got in a buss remembering myself the buss number so it can take me back home. When I soon arrived in a crowed place I got out the buss. I walked on the busy street of Seoul looking for a place to eat as I wasn’t bothered to cook.

I walked in a small restaurant and sat down. I noticed that the workers were looked at me strangely. A waiter walked up to me “what you order?”  He asked in a strong English accent “I would like some tteokbokki please” I said in Korean, he looked at me in shocked while I stared back pushing my glasses up because it was slipping off.

“It will be out in a few” he said and walked away.