Chapter 4

How to Use Chopsticks

 

Beep~, Beep~, Beep~

I pushed my alarm hard on the floor without opening my eyes but sadly it was still ringing, I can ignore it I told myself. A few minutes later I heard the door being opened “come on Vanessa first day of school. Get up.” She said saying the last bit a little too harshly.  “You know umma, you know you can come in with breakfast in bed and I would wake up straight away right?” I told her watching her move around in my room with one eye open.

“Breakfast in bed? I didn’t even do that for your father and he didn’t complain” she said opening my window curtains. I groaned at the light and said “what do you mean he didn’t complain he complains about everything” I said giggling.

It’s nice talking about my dad at times. Instead of forgetting about him or avoiding talking about him just to push away the pain. Me and my umma can’t stop talking about him, thinking about the good times instead.

It took me awhile to get myself out of bed but when I did I got ready and I grabbed my school bag and walked downstairs to the kitchen where my breakfast was already placed on the table. I sat down putting my bag on the chair next to me and started digging in.

My umma sat in front of me with her coffee and stared at me with a smile on her face. I looked up at her “what?” I asked with my mouth full of food.

Her smile slowly faded “I was going to tell you how cute you look in your new school uniform but now….never mind.” she said handing me a tissue, I shrugged at her “still wish you got a bigger blazer” I told her “you and your baggy clothes. One day you will come back home seeing no jumpers in your closet” she said sipping her coffee.

“Pshh you wouldn’t do that to this lovely girl” I said putting a peace sign up and smiling.

“Come on we’ll be late for school” she said getting her briefcase and walked towards the front door.

“Wait for me” I said running after her but stopped to grab my bag and the last piece of my waffle and got outside towards my umma’s car.

We arrived at the school and everyone was already inside                             

“Are we late?” I asked.

“You can say that we came at this time so I can introduce you to your homeroom properly” she said.

Awesome.

We walked in the empty hallway and stopped at a closed door; my umma knocked on the door and walked in telling me to wait outside.

I heard her calling me and I walked in the class, everyone soon started whispering as I stood next to her in front of the classroom.

“I guess you’ll take it from here” she told the teacher and left before giving me a light squeeze on my shoulder.

“How about you introduce yourself” the teacher told me I nodded and bowed, “annyeonghaseyo je ireum Vanessaimnida” I said trying to look less nervous “okay Vanessa-shi you can sit next to Luna, Luna please raise your hand” the teacher said. A girl with blond hair raised her hand; I smiled and walked towards the seat.

While walking there I noticed the boy from yesterday. He goes to my school as well?

I smiled; good I can make friends easily now I thought. I sat on my seat and I smiled to the Luna girl “hello” I said she smiled and looked the other way.

The bell rang and everyone gathered their stuff, I turned around and looked over at the guy. “Hey neighbour I didn’t know you went to this school. Oh! and what’s your name I don’t think I can keep calling you neighbour it would sound weird don’t you think” I said in one go.

“Do you ever breathe when you talk” he said

I shrugged

He scoffed “whatever and I am not telling you my name and I'm not your friend” he said while getting up from his seat and walked out of the classroom, rude much. I turned back round and saw two girls standing in front of me.

Where the heck did they come from?!

“So you’re the new kid?” said the girl on the left. I just nodded, I have a feeling I won’t like them.

“I think we need to give her some rules as she is new her right unnie?” said one of the girls on the right, “yes you are Krystal” she patted the girl’s head that was named Krystal.

“What rules?” I dared to ask.

“Rule number one we are the Queenka’s of this school, rule tw-“

“The what? What’s a Queenka? And that’s not even a rule” I cut her off

“Rule number two! Don’t cut me off like that!!” she shouted the girls next to her started fanning her; I raised one of my eyebrows up. Seriously they have these kinda of stereotypes here?

“Rule three” she said regaining her composure “don’t talk to my man” she said glaring at me. I gave her a questionable look, “Lee Jongsuk! I'm talking about Lee Jongsuk! Aigoo Krystal take over for me this thing really is useless” said the girl on the left

Thing? Thanks I never knew I was an object.

“Ne~ what Victoria unnie is trying to say is stay. Away. From. LEE. JONGSUK.” She said the last bit a little slow.

“I know and I got that but who is Lee. Jongsuk” I said imitating the girl, “YAH! Are you stupid! The guy you were talking to just then!!” Victoria burst out at me. Then realization hit me “oh so his name is Jongsuk” I said to myself, “aish I warned you okay!” she said before strutting off with her friend following her.

“Geez temper” I said to myself

“You can say that again” I heard a voice.

I looked I looked towards my left and I saw the girl that sat next to me, “hi I'm Luna do you want me to show you around the place?”  She asked with a smile, I smiled back instantly and nodded.