Krishan

One Shots Galore

“We need one of those.” Luhan sighed, his expression wistful.

Kris looked down the path at Tao who was busy unclipping the car seat from the back seat of his car as Joonmyun watched on and then back at his husband. “If you’re talking about a baby then I’m pretty sure we already have one. He’s upstairs taking a nap. And if you’re talking about a girl, well then we have one of those too. I dropped her off at her dance class twenty minutes ago.” They didn’t only have a one year old son and an eight year old daughter, they had two other sons as well, ages nine and four respectively meaning they had the kid thing well and truly covered. So there was no way Luhan could be talking about what Kris thought he was talking about. With Xunjian’s smart mouth, Lingju’s over dramatic tendencies, Wenjin’s habit of pretending he was a tiger and refusing to use actual words in conversation and Changsu throwing a tantrum every ten minutes despite the fact he wasn’t even two yet, well it was enough to put most sane people off having children for life.

“Changsu isn’t a baby.” Luhan argued. “He’s over a year old.” And Kris suddenly remembered that Luhan was in no way sane so there was every chance that he was talking about what he thought he was.

“We’re not having another baby.” He told him. It was something he’d said to him before on more than one occasion. When they’d first talked about children they’d agreed on two and as luck would have it, it hadn’t taken long after Xunjian for Lingju to come along, giving them a girl as well as a boy. There’d been no reason for them to have any more kids after that, not when they had one of each, that’s what Kris had thought and Luhan had seemed to agree. But then Lingju had hit three and things had changed. Luhan had started not so subtly hinting that he wouldn’t mind having more children. The house wasn’t the same without a baby in it, it was much too quiet apparently. Kris thought differently, he did not miss having a baby in the house and definitely did not think things were too quiet. And he’d told Luhan so. ‘We’re not having any more kids.’ He’d added for good measure. Luhan hadn’t stopped hinting though and a week later he’d given in. Three months after that they’d found out they were expecting Wenjin. And Wenjin had only just made it to two before Luhan started talking about how fast he was growing up. Kris had lasted a fortnight this time before telling him that yes, they could have another baby if that was what he wanted and again it had only taken three months until Luhan had a positive pregnancy test in his hand. This time though Kris wouldn’t be giving in so easily, Changsu was still a baby, the number of children they had was already double what he’d agreed to in the first place, they didn’t need any more kids.

And as expected it looked like Luhan wasn’t going to back off just because he’d said no. “But just look at her.” He said. “She’s so cute.” Tao and Joonmyun were making their way towards the door now, Tao carrying the car seat but all Kris could see was a bundle of pink blankets topped off with a pink hat. How Luhan could say she was cute when they couldn’t even see her face he didn’t know. “Wouldn’t it be nice, to have another girl?” Luhan asked when he failed to answer him. “Lingju would love it. She’s always talking about what she’d do if she had a little sister.”

Yes she was, being the only girl in a house full of boys meant she was incredibly envious of those kids at school who had sisters to talk to and play with but they were not basing the decision on whether or not to have kids on the whim of their eight year old daughter. “No.” Kris said flatly. “No, we’re not doing it.”

“I’m not saying we should start trying or anything.” Luhan told him.

“Good.” Kris said. He’d been pretty sure that was what Luhan had been saying but if it wasn’t then that was fine by him.

“I’m just saying we should think about it.”

And there it was. “I’ve already thought about it…” Kris started to say but before he could get any further their guests were in front of them and Luhan was stepping forward to pull Joonmyun into a hug.

“Congratulations.” He was saying now as he pulled back, “How’s it been, having her home?”

“Not as hard as we thought it would be.” Joonmyun replied as Luhan put a hand on his arm and started guiding him into the house. “She’s such an easy baby.”

“You’re lucky.” Kris said to Tao as they entered the house behind them and closed the door. He didn’t think he and Luhan had had even one easy baby, all four of theirs had been what you might call demanding.

“Yeah, we really are.” Tao agreed his gaze going to the car seat and the baby sleeping in it. “I still can’t quite believe she’s here, we tried for so long you know, we were this close to giving up.” He said with a shake of his head, holding his hand up and showing Kris just how far with his thumb and forefinger. “I’m so glad we didn’t.”

And all Kris could do was nod. Conceiving wasn’t something he and Luhan had ever had a problem with and he supposed it was something he should be grateful for. “She really is beautiful.” He still couldn’t see much of her and it seemed like the right thing to say to bring the mood back up

And yeah, Tao was smiling at him now obviously pleased by the compliment. He should have known that would do it Kris thought to himself, flattery worked on him nine times out of ten after all.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Beautiful had been absolutely the right word to use because Yunwei was gorgeous, there was no denying it. At first glance she was the absolute double of her mother, from the shape of her nose to her skin tone to set of it was like looking at a miniature Joonmyun. And then she’d opened her eyes and Kris had found himself opening his mouth to say “She has…” but Joonmyun had beat him to it.

“Tao’s eyes, I know.” He’d said smiling fondly at his daughter.

It was unfortunate really, the fact she was so pretty because now Luhan had every excuse to keep talking about her. It had been two days now since Tao and Joonmyun’s visit and he had yet to shut about how tiny and perfect Yunwei was. “Did you see how small her hands were though?” he was saying now as he cut the fruit for the kids’ lunch boxes.

“Yes.” Kris said flatly. He had seen how small her hands were. He’d also seen how much hair she had and how bright her eyes were. He’d noticed all those things without Luhan’s help and he didn’t need reminding of them. Nor did he need reminding of the fact that their own children had been just as cute if not cuter, he’d been there when they were growing up too but that wasn’t stopping Luhan.

“Xunjian was just as tiny though.” He mused, smiling at the memory. “So tiny. You wouldn’t pick him up at first, you just stood there staring at him. You said you didn’t want to break him, remember? Can you believe he’s nine now? It doesn’t feel like it was that long ago.”

Xunjian had been pretty small, he’d weighed only six pounds when he was born. And considering the fact that he hadn’t had much experience handling new-born babies before Kris had thought his fear had been perfectly justified, or at least he had at the time. Four kids later and he knew better. You didn’t have to worry too much about hurting a new-born, not letting their head flop back was common sense after all and they didn’t move around enough for dropping them to be a worry either. And by the time they were moving around enough to make dropping them a possibility they were pretty hard to break. When Lingju had been a baby she’d thrown herself out of peoples’ arms more times than Kris could count and she was still alive to tell the tale. “Can we not talk about how stupid that was please?” He said and he handed Changsu another piece of toast and tried to think of a way to change the subject. Changsu might be a year old and capable of feeding himself but he also seemed to think that if he didn’t stuff all the food you put in front of him into his mouth at once then someone was going take it away from him. Handing him his food bit by bit was just safer, it made for less of a choking hazard.

“It wasn’t stupid, it was adorable.” Luhan corrected him. “When I first handed him over you looked like you were scared he was going to explode or something. I wish I’d taken a picture.”

“Yeah, well, babies sometimes do.” Kris reminded him. There was no shame in being scared of exploding children. Pick up a baby after it’s just been fed and there was every chance that it might.

Luhan looked like he was about to argue with him but before he could their four year old was wandering into the room. He was rubbing at his eyes with one hand as he fought back a yawn and if that wasn’t proof enough that he was still half-asleep then the state of his school uniform surely was. His left trouser leg was tucked into his sock and his school sweatshirt was on inside out. It looked like he’d gotten dressed in the dark.

“Wenjin…” Luhan said slowly, taking in the state of his clothes. “… I thought your brother was supposed to be helping you get dressed?”

Wenjin just shrugged and shuffled over to the breakfast table. “Is there jam?” he asked Kris hopefully, he’d spotted the toast on the table and sounded a little more awake now that he had.

“Yes.” Kris told him. “But before you eat I need to fix your sweatshirt. Come here.”

With a world-weary sigh Wenjin tore his eyes away from the food on the table and came to stand in front of him.

“But really…” Kris said as he pulled the sweatshirt up and over Wenjin’s head and tugged it off, “… Xunjian was supposed to be helping you.” Wenjin took far longer to wake up in the morning than the rest of his siblings, he took after him that way, so they usually asked Xunjian to make sure he was presentable before letting him downstairs for breakfast.

“He’s busy.” Wenjin told him, ducking his head forward so his father could pull his now right way round sweatshirt back over his head.

“Busy doing what?” Luhan asked.

“Playing a game.” Wenjin said, and arms back in sleeves he took a step back and headed for his chair at the breakfast table.

“On the DS?” Luhan asked next. It was a logical guess, he’d gotten one for Christmas and was now obsessed with the thing. “I thought we confiscated that.”

“That was last week.” Kris reminded him as he spread jam on Wenjin’s toast for him, it’s was probably best not to let him do that job himself if they wanted his uniform to stay clean. “He got it back Saturday.” That particular confiscation had occurred after Xunjian had informed his sister that she was too tall and too ugly to ever be a ballerina. Lingju had come running to them in tears and while she could be overdramatic at times and was just as fond of teasing her brother as he was of teasing her, Wenjin, the worst liar in the universe, had backed her story up. So as much as Xunjian had protested that she was twisting his words they’d had to punish him.

“Well it looks like he’s going to be losing it again.” Luhan said with a huff, dropping his knife into the sink and taking a step back from the counter. “He knows he isn’t supposed to play on it before school.”

“Want me to go talk to him?” Kris asked. Luhan still wasn’t finished with the kids’ lunch boxes and he hated to be interrupted when he was middle of something.

“No, I’ll do it. You just finish feeding Changsu.” Luhan told him and then he was gone.

Kris shook his head and turned to Wenjin. “You see, this is what happens.” He told him. “Babies grow up. They grow up into smart-mouthed children that need their games consoles confiscated.” Why Luhan wanted more of those in their house he really didn’t know.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

 

And it seemed Luhan really did want another smart-mouthed kid in the house because a week and a half later he was still talking about how adorable their kids had been when they were small. “Lingju never really crawled did she?” he mused as he watched Changsu crawling across the floor towards the ball he’d just rolled.

Kris, who was sitting on the couch, Wenjin curled up beside him as he watched cartoons, looked down at Changsu who was now throwing himself on top of the ball as if he was afraid someone was going to snatch it from him. Kris didn’t blame him, that was what Luhan had just done he supposed, taken it away from him. Changsu wasn’t quite old enough to grasp the idea of passing a ball back and forth. “No, I guess she didn’t.” he said, thinking back to when their daughter had been Changsu’s age. She’d gone straight from rolling to pulling herself to her feet. She’d been walking by the time she was ten months old. Changsu on the other hand was content with crawling around on the floor.  He could stand unsupported, he could walk the distance from the couch and the armchair if food was offered as an incentive, but since crawling got him where he wanted to go faster he seemed happy to stick with that.

“It was cute, when she first started walking. She was so little.” Luhan continued, sounding wistful again. “Do you remember when we started letting her walk outside? Xunjian used to hold her hand and people used to stop us in the street and tell us how adorable they were.”

“You know that really isn’t a reason to have another kid.” Kris told him. “If you want people to stop us in the street and tell us how adorable something is we could just get a puppy.”

“That’s not what I meant.” Luhan said at the same time as Wenjin piped up with “Are we getting a puppy Dad?”

“No.” Kris said to his son. “We’re not getting a puppy.” Changsu was now chewing on the ball Luhan had been rolling to him, getting drool all over it, they didn’t need a puppy. Then he was turning back to Luhan. He looked more than a little hurt Kris realised. He really needed to start thinking before he spoke. “I know.” He assured him. “I know. I just don’t understand why you do want another kid that’s all.”

“I don’t know…” Luhan told him, following his gaze to Changsu who was still doing his best impression of a puppy, “…the kids we have, well they’re great, aren’t they? You wouldn’t be without them, would you?”

“No.” Kris agreed.  “I wouldn’t be without them. And that’s what I don’t get. Our kids are great, why do we need another baby?”

“I’m not saying we need one… I just… I don’t know…” with a sigh he lifted his head and looked back at up at Kris. The expression on his face was almost imploring, as if he was begging him to understand. “… I never realised how much I’d love being a parent until I was one. Whenever I see them do something for the first time, whenever I see them accomplish something, it feels amazing. And maybe it’s selfish of me to want to go through all that again with another kid, especially when the children we already have are still learning new things all the time but I can’t help it.”

Kris didn’t know what to say to that. He was used to Luhan’s constant talk of how adorable their children were but he hadn’t given much thought to the reasons why he was so dead set on having more of them. And now he’d opened up and told him he was at a loss. Because he got where he was coming from, seeing your children grow up happy and knowing that you were part of the reason why, well it was an incredible feeling. But he still didn’t see why Luhan thought trying for a baby when Changsu was still a baby himself was a good idea. “It’s not selfish, I just think we should let Changsu grow up a little first before we talk about more kids. That’s all.” He said at last.

Luhan frowned. “Kris, what age did I turn last month?” he asked.

“Twenty one.” Wenjin answered for him, reminding them both that he was still there.

“Not quite.” Luhan told him with a hint of a smile.

“But that’s what you said,” Wenjin protested, confused, “I asked you and you said twenty one.”

“I may have lied, a tiny bit.”

“You lied?” Wenjin repeated, more than a little horrified by his mother’s confession.

“I’m sorry.” Luhan assured him, still smiling. “I won’t do it again.” And then he was turning back to Kris and the frown was back. “I’m thirty five now.” He told him. “If we leave it another year or two to talk about it we might not be able to have any more kids.”

“Aren’t you being a little overdramatic?” Luhan was definitely the one Lingju had inherited her tendency to exaggerate from Kris thought to himself. “People these days are having kids well into their forties.”

“I’m not being overdramatic. It’s not easy to get pregnant after thirty five.” Luhan told him, undeterred. “Most of those people having babies in their forties have had help.”

And again Wenjin decided to remind them he was listening in. “How do you help someone to have a baby?” he asked, his brow furrowed. “You just wish really hard when you want one and then it grows in your belly. That’s what Dad said.”

“It is?” Luhan asked, eyebrow raised.

“Yes it is because that is exactly what happens.” Kris said, voice firm. Wenjin looked like he was about to ask another question and he was pretty sure it would be one he didn’t want to answer. The sooner he changed the subject the better. “Do you want to come with me to pick Lingju up from her dance class?” he asked him. “Maybe Mum will let us pick up pizza for dinner if we ask nicely.”

And as Kris had expected the mere mention of food was enough to distract his son. “Pizza?” he echoed, eyes lighting up. “Mum! Can we have pizza? Dad said we can have pizza!”

“Actually, I wouldn’t mind pizza for dinner.” Luhan said, his expression turning brighter too. Kris had thought he’d try and brush the question off, steer the subject back to babies but he seemed just as excited at the thought of an unhealthy dinner as Wenjin did. “So yes, if you’re good in the car then sure, we can have pizza.”

“Awesome!” Wenjin exclaimed, jumping up from the couch. “Come on Dad!” he all but shouted and he took Kris’ hand in both of his and tugged. “Mum said we can have pizza, let’s go!”

“Calm down.” Kris said, letting Wenjin pull him to his feet. “There’s no rush.”

Wenjin however obviously thought otherwise because he was now pulling him across the room.

“You’re really strong for a four year old, do you know that?” The grip Wenjin had on his wrist was vicelike.

“Yes,” Wenjin told him. “I know that. Now come on!”

“Get a box of mozzarella sticks too!” Luhan called after him. “And cookies, get some cookies.”

And Kris barely got out an “I’ll try and remember,” before Wenjin had him out the door.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

 

Kris had remembered the mozzarella sticks and the cookies and Luhan and the kids had polished off those and the pizza in no time at all. Then it had been bath time for the kids followed by a story and then bed for the younger two. Lingju and Xunjian had gone up to bed not long after that and now that they were asleep everything was blissfully quiet.

The TV was on, some rerun of a drama playing, but neither of them were paying much attention. Luhan had ducked under his arm as soon as he’d sat down on the couch and was tucked into his side, using his chest as a pillow. He was playing with one of the buttons of his shirt now, his eyes trained on that rather than the TV screen. He’d been quiet all night, lost in thought almost and it didn’t take a genius to work out what it was he was thinking about.

“Look, I’m sorry. I didn’t know you felt that way.” Kris told him, a hand going to trace circles on the small of his back. “I mean I knew you wanted another baby, I just didn’t realise why you wanted one so much. Or why it had to be now.”

Luhan, obviously not expecting such an admission from him looked a little bemused. “You don’t have to apologise.” He said, tilting his head back to look up at him. “I was being silly. You’re right, we don’t need any more kids.”

“No, I guess we don’t.” Kris said quietly and Luhan hummed and went back to playing with his shirt buttons. “But like you said, our kids are amazing. I can’t blame you for wanting another one.”

“They are amazing.” Luhan mumbled. “We’re lucky to have them. I should focus on that, be thankful for what we’ve got and stop talking about another baby.”

“No.” Kris said, his voice still quiet. He’d been thinking about what Luhan had said all evening, about how much he loved being a parent and the look on his face when he’d said it. He’d meant every word that much had been obvious. And now that Luhan was slowly accepting the fact that he might not get the baby he wanted so badly he just sounded so resigned, so sad and that was kind of heart-breaking. “No you shouldn’t stop talking about it, not if that’s what you want.”

And again it obviously hadn’t been what Luhan had been expecting to hear because it took him a good thirty seconds to respond to what his husband had just said to him. “But it’s not what you want.” He said at last, looking up at Kris, confusion written all over his face.

“What I want most…” Kris said slowly, what he was about to say was going to be embarrassingly cheesy and he didn’t want Luhan to mishear and ask him to repeat it “…is for you to be happy.”

It didn’t take quite as long for Luhan to reply this time but it took long enough for the embarrassment to set in and for Kris’ cheeks to flush red. “Even if that means us having another baby?” Was what Luhan said at last. “Isn’t that a little extreme?”

Kris didn’t think so. “Really, what’s the difference between four kids and five? And you know as well as I do that when we find out you’re pregnant I’ll want the baby as much as I wanted the others. I won’t be able to help it.”

Luhan still wasn’t quite believing what he was hearing. “So… this is you saying what? Saying yes, we can have another kid? Because that’s what it sounds like. If it’s not then…”

“It is.” Kris said quickly. “It’s exactly what I’m saying. If you want another baby so badly then we should start trying for one.”

“You’re serious?”

It was kind of cute, the way Luhan was looking up at him all wide-eyed, asking for confirmation. “I’m serious.” He told him, unable to help a smile.

And within seconds Luhan was in his lap, his mouth on his.

“Happy?” Kris managed to mumble as Luhan abandoned attacking his mouth in favour of a strip down his neck and nipping at his collar bone as he simultaneously started working on the buttons of his shirt. He could multi-task, Kris could give him that.

“Mmmhmm.” Luhan hummed against his neck. And once again he was moving before Kris had a chance to process what was going on, this time hopping to his feet and grabbing Kris’ hand.

“Come on,” he said, tugging at his arm. “The couch is no good for this, let’s go upstairs.”

“What…. Now?” Kris asked, a little thrown by how rapidly this was all going. “You want to start trying now?”

“Why shouldn’t we start trying now?” Luhan asked.

Kris realised he didn’t really have an answer for that. The kids were asleep, there was no reason to think they were going to wake up any time soon. It was a rare occurence to be honest.

And his lack of argument had Luhan grinning as he took as hand and started pulling him towards the stairs.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

 

Two days later and Kris was expecting Luhan to be pretty happy. They were working on getting him the baby he wanted so badly after all, he should have been pleased. He should not have been acting short tempered and moody, snapping at every little thing. But he was and Kris was a little confused by it.

“You’re not coming down with something are you?” he asked. He’d just watched Luhan drop a bowl he’d been rinsing into the sink which hadn’t been such a big deal Kris had thought. It hadn’t broken, it had just meant Luhan had had to pick it up and rinse it again but Luhan it seemed had thought differently. It had set him off swearing, under his breath since the kids were in the other room but still, in Kris’ opinion his reaction had been a little extreme.

“No.” Luhan said shortly. “I’m not getting a cold. People can be annoyed about things without being ill you know.” He added, levelling a glare at his husband.

“Sorry.” Was all Kris could think of to say to that, the way Luhan was looking at him was a little disconcerting.

“You should be.” Luhan told him. “If I’d gotten enough sleep last night I wouldn’t be dropping things everywhere. This is all down to you, you and your snoring.”

“I don’t snore.” Kris protested, the response automatic and Luhan just scoffed and shook his head before turning back to the sink.

And things went quiet between them as Luhan continued rinsing the breakfast dishes and Kris listened to the muffled voices coming from the living room. Changsu was in his playpen waiting for Luhan to finish up and take him to nursery and he older kids had been sent out to fetch coats and school bags so Kris could take them to school. And if he was going to do that, take them to school and get them there on time he should probably get moving Kris supposed, if he didn’t leave soon they’d hit traffic but he was still trying to get his head around the fact that Luhan was in such a foul mood. Okay so he’d said he hadn’t slept well but out of the two of them Luhan was definitely more of a morning person. It just wasn’t like him to be so short tempered, in the mornings or otherwise. Unless his hormones were getting in the way of course, Luhan's temper tended to flare more often when he was pregnant Kris had noticed. But he wasn’t pregnant, not yet so that couldn't be it.

Unless he was Kris found himself thinking as Luhan started putting things none too gently into the dishwasher. But no, he was being ridiculous. People could be moody without it being down to hormones. Only Luhan not being able to sleep was niggling at him too. When Luhan had been pregnant with their other kids he’d had trouble sleeping, right from the get go. But that was still only two things. Just because he wasn’t sleeping well and was being a little moody that didn’t mean he was pregnant. It’s not like there’d been any other signs. Unless you counted food Kris thought as he watched Luhan turn on the dishwasher and grab an apple from the fruit bowl. All he’d done the last week or so it seemed was eat, or talk about what he was going to eat next. Kris hadn’t thought much of it but now, well now he couldn’t help thinking of what Luhan had been like when he’d been pregnant with Wenjin. With their other three kids Luhan had had morning sickness to contend with in his first trimester but with Wenjin that hadn’t bothered him at all. And because he hadn’t felt queasy or sick his appetite had increased instead.

“You’re pregnant.” Kris found himself saying. It all added up, the mood swings, the not being able to sleep, the eating anything and everything...

And Luhan froze, apple halfway to his mouth. “What... I’m… no I’m not.” He managed to stutter out as he lowered his arm. “I can’t be. We only just... we haven’t… it’s been two days.”

“You’ve been pregnant ever since you started talking about having another baby.” Kris continued, realisation dawning. “That’s why you wouldn’t let up, it’s why you kept hinting. You wanted me to think it was my idea so I wouldn’t get mad.”

“No.” Luhan said, shaking his head. “No, that’s not right. It’s not right because I’m not pregnant.”

“I don’t know why you didn’t just tell me.” Kris continued, ignoring Luhan’s continued denials. “Accidents happen, I’d have understood.” Unless… but no. Luhan wouldn’t, would he? “Please don’t tell me you planned this.” He said, “Please don’t tell me you did this on purpose. You wanted another baby and you knew I’d say no so you got pregnant without telling me. All the hinting and asking was to throw me off track.”

“No I didn’t. I wouldn’t lie to you about something like that.” Luhan exclaimed, his face paling and Kris immediately felt bad for suggesting it because Luhan looked horrified at the very suggestion. “I’m not pregnant, okay? So just stop. Shut up. Shut up and take the kids to school before I…” He didn’t finish the sentence, he just shook his head and turned around, opened a cupboard and started moving some boxes around.

“I’m sorry….” Kris told him. He could tell he’d really upset him and he wanted to fix it but Luhan was having none of it.

“I said shut up.” He snapped, not bothering to turn around and Kris did as he was told, without another word he headed for the living room to round up the kids.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

 

Luhan was still refusing to talk to him when he got home and it had made dinner very stilted and awkward. Every time he tried to start a conversation all he’d get out of Luhan would be a one word answer and the kids had picked up on that and it had made them quiet too. And they’d stayed quiet all evening. There’d been no shouting or screaming or arguing, Kris had found it all very weird.

And now they were in bed, all four of them fast asleep and Kris was trying to work up the nerve to go into the kitchen and apologise to Luhan. He’d as good as called him a liar earlier and with no actual proof, an apology was the least he deserved. So preparing to be yelled at he pushed open the door and stepped inside.

Luhan either hadn’t heard the door open or was pretending he hadn’t because rather than look up he kept his gaze fixed on the kettle on the counter in front of him until Kris cleared his throat and even then it took him a few seconds to shift his attention from the almost boiling kettle to his husband.

“Hey.” Kris said, trying to gauge Luhan’s mood before jumping into his apology. How he approached this depended entirely on how mad he still was at him. If the answer was ‘furious’ he might even be better backing off and trying again later.

But Luhan didn’t look all that mad Kris realised, taking note of the way he’d averted his gaze after mumbling a ‘hey’ of his own in return. If anything he looked kind of nervous. Embarrassed even. It didn’t make sense. “About earlier…” Kris started to say, if he wasn’t mad then he should be okay to start on his apology he thought but Luhan immediately cut him off.

“I wasn’t lying.” He told him, still not quite meeting Kris' eye. “I didn’t plan it. I don’t know why you’d think I’d do that, trick you like that, I thought you trusted me.”

“I do trust you.” Kris said, the assurance immediate and automatic. Luhan sounded hurt and hurting him had been the last thing he’d wanted to do. “What I said earlier, it was stupid.” He continued. “It was me being paranoid, you know what I’m like. Of course I don’t think you would…” And then Kris realised what it was that Luhan had just said. Or more accurately what he hadn’t said. Unlike earlier Luhan hadn’t denied it. There’d been no ‘I’m not pregnant’, just an ‘I didn’t plan it.’ “Wait… you are, aren’t you? You’re pregnant!”

“Maybe.” Luhan said with a shrug, finally deigning to look him in the eye. He still looked pretty nervous though, as if he was scared Kris was going to start throwing accusations at him again.

And while Kris knew he should probably do or say something to prove Luhan wrong and put his mind at rest all he could manage was a croaked “Maybe?”

“Okay, not maybe.” Luhan amended, a blush working its way across his cheeks. “Yes. Yes I am. But I didn’t know, not until this afternoon. I promise. After what you said this morning it got me thinking, about why you would think that and I thought it wouldn’t hurt to buy a test, you know? Looking back I guess I’ve been feeling a little weird, for the last week or so maybe I don’t know. A bit up and down, I hadn’t really noticed until you got all weird with me this morning, but yeah. Yeah… I bought one on my lunch break and I took it at work and I thought it would read negative and that I was just being paranoid because you were being paranoid, because you're right, you're really bad with the paranoia thing but it didn’t read negative, it was positive and I’m sorry. But I don’t know why I’m sorry because you said you wanted another baby, only maybe you don’t really want another baby, maybe that’s why you got mad when you thought I was pregnant because you were hoping it would take a while for it to happen and I'd give up or something, I don’t know, I just… whatever you might think I really didn’t plan it…”

“Stop.” Kris told him, his brain finally catching up and telling him to stop gaping like an idiot and fix things. The more Luhan tried to explain himself the more the words were starting to run into each other then less he was stopping for breath. He should probably interrupt before he ended up hyperventilating. “That’s not what I think, I know you wouldn’t do that. I know it wasn’t planned.”

“Oh.” Luhan said. He seemed a little thrown as if he hadn’t thought Kris was going to say anything at all let alone try to reassure him. “Oh. Well. That’s good then. Because it wasn’t.”

“I know.” Kris assured him again. “And you’re right. You don’t need to be sorry. This is a good thing. I mean you wanted another baby didn’t you?”

“Well yes…” Luhan admitted. “But you don’t do you? Not really. You only said we could start trying to shut me up. I know that, I’m not stupid.”

Luhan still didn’t look much happier, that wasn't right. He was getting the baby he’d been hinting and asking for, he should be happy. “I told you already, when we talked about it the other day I said that as soon as I found out you were pregnant I’d be excited about the baby, that I’d love them as much as I love our other children. Didn’t you believe me?”

Luhan gave another shrug. “I don’t know… I didn’t really think about it. I was more focussed on the 'yeah we can try' part.”

Kris took that to mean he hadn’t really been listening to anything else but it wasn’t as if he could be mad at him. Because he hadn’t been lying, the thought of maybe having a baby was far different from the realisation that you were actually going to be getting one and just because this was the fifth time Luhan had told him he was pregnant with his child that didn’t make the feelings that conjured up any less overwhelming. “Our baby is in there.” Kris told him, a hand going to Luhan’s waist as he brushed the fabric of his shirt with his thumb. “Another little person who’s half me and half you. And yeah, it’s going to be hard work having another kid in the house but that doesn’t make it any less amazing.”

“So you’re happy?” Luhan pressed, still unsure.

“Yes.” Why wasn’t he getting this? Luhan probably thought he was giving in to avoid another argument he realised. It was something he did quite a lot to be fair so it was a reasonable assumption on his part. “Of course I’m happy.” He said, trying one last time to get Luhan to believe him. “I love you, I love our kids, I love our family, more than anything and that includes our new son or daughter.”

And there it was, Luhan was smiling now. “I don’t know why I was so worried.” He said with a shake of his head. “I should have known you’d turn all sentimental on me when you found out. You always do.”

“Maybe.” Kris admitted. He looked so adorable, smiling widely like that, all Kris wanted to do was hug him so that’s exactly what he did, he pulled Luhan into a hug and kissed the top his head. “You love it though, don’t pretend that you don’t.” he said as Luhan slipped his arms around his waist and hugged him back.

“I don’t know about that, but I do kind of like you so....” Luhan mumbled and Kris decided not to push it, he’d take what he could get.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Krishan for Doyoureallynotseeme.
So this took a long long time and for that I'm sorry. But I hope you like it anyway... yeah.

Chankai for VanillaHeaven
Chanxing for soft-kitty
Krisbaek for Rosasaur
Baekchen for kitten83
Krisho for suddon
Xiuhun for XxAngieexX
ing for jang-yehheung
Hanho for resurrection
Xiukris for weepywillow
Baektao for parkbyun
Chenyeol for tini1kero
Sesoo for hanadylaila
Lukai for AuthorJ
Kairis for mrmissM
Sutao for kkaebsong
Krischen for cutedi
Chenxing for VIPemma98
Sulay for Haruus
Layhan for damthemboys

Xiubaek for jantih
Xiukai for jantih
Xiulay for minminbaozi

Chantao for virogal
Chentao for virogal
Xiutao for MrMissM
Chanhun for Kaebsong
Lubaek for damethemboys