Sekai

One Shots Galore

Sehun was looking forward to finding out the of their baby, he really was. How could he not be? He just wasn’t quite as excited as Jongin was.

“Will you sit still?” He asked. His boyfriend was currently drumming his fingers on the arm of the waiting room chair and the noise was driving him to distraction.

“Sorry,” Jongin said giving him a sheepish smile and then he was moving his hand to his knee and scratching at the denim of his jeans instead, still all nerves.

Sehun didn’t think that was much better, in fact he found the noise of fingernails scratching denim to be even more annoying but Jongin was still wearing that stupid smile and when he looked that happy he couldn’t bring himself to tell him off and risk ruining his good mood. “You know,” he said instead, not wanting him to be too disappointed if things didn’t go how he thought they would “if the baby’s lying in the wrong position they might not be able to tell us either way.”

“I know.” Jongin said, his smile not slipping, “And if they can’t tell us that’s fine. We’ll still be seeing her today, up on the screen and I can’t wait.”

“I really wish you’d stop calling the baby a her.” Sehun said with a sigh. “If it turns not to be a him then that’s going to be a really hard habit to break.” Sehun knew it was a little too late to be telling him that, they were only minutes away from finding out if he was right or wrong and he’d been referring to the baby as a girl for weeks now but the response was automatic. Every time Jongin said ‘she’ or ‘her’ the words lodged themselves in his head too and now he was having a hard time himself not referring to their baby as female which was going to make things kind of awkward if they were actually having a boy.

“Sorry,” Jongin said not sounding very sorry. “I’m just ninety-nine per cent sure there’s a baby girl in there.” A hand going to Sehun's bump just in case he was too stupid to know what he'd meant by 'in there'.

And Sehun just shook his head because Jongin would take any excuse to put a hand on his bump lately. “Will you stop it?” he asked as Jongin started rubbing circles on his belly. “People are looking at us.”

“So what?” was Jongin’s incredibly mature response but he pulled his hand away anyway, dropping it back to his knees. “I mean does it matter? I was only saying hi to our baby, am I not allowed to do that now?”

“Of course you’re allowed.” Sehun said, Jongin being excited about the baby was definitely a good thing, he'd much that than have him be completely apathetic about it. “And you can touch and talk to my bump as much as you want when we’re at home, I’d just rather not have you do it in public. People have enough reason to stare at me as it is without you giving them something else to look at.” The more noticeably pregnant he became the more often he caught people staring at his stomach and it was starting to freak him out.

“Okay,” Jongin said, still not looking overly happy about being chastised. “I’ll try to keep my hands to myself when we’re outside.” And as unhappy about it as he sounded that was good enough for Sehun.

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

“There she is.” Jongin said, gripping his hand that bit tighter. He was standing by the bed his eyes glued to the monitor in front of them.

Sehun couldn’t tear his eyes away from the image on the screen either. He didn’t know what he’d been expecting exactly, to be looking at grainy black and white and needing to squint to make out the features the doctor was trying to point out to him maybe, that’s what it had been like at his first ultrasound anyway. And yes this time the image was still black and white and it had taken him a while to make out what the doctor was showing him but once he had there was no unseeing it, the way the baby was lying meant they were looking at a perfect side profile, he could see her little button nose and the way was slightly parted. And her hand, she had her hand by her face and he could clearly see each finger. And he was referring to her as a girl now too he belatedly realised and then he decided that it didn’t really matter, boy or girl their baby was perfect.

“That’s our baby.” Jongin said next, a slight hitch in his voice.

And he didn’t know if his boyfriend was looking for a response or not but Sehun gave him one anyway, looking away from the screen long enough to glance up at him and say the words, “Yes it is.” Jongin looked more than a little awestruck he noticed before turning his attention back to their baby on the screen. He wondered if he’d been wearing the same expression, he felt pretty overwhelmed himself.

“So it’s a girl you want.” The doctor noted, obviously picking up on Jongin’s choice of personal pronoun.

Sehun nodded. Personally he’d never given much thought to which he would prefer, a son first or a daughter first but Jongin had wanted a daughter from day one. When Sehun had asked him why Jongin had said it was because his sisters already had three kids between them so he’d missed out on giving his parents their first grandchild, but since all three of them were boys he could still give them their first granddaughter and first granddaughter was just as much of a big deal. And Sehun was sure that was part of the reason but he couldn’t help thinking he mostly wanted someone to dress up in pretty clothes and spoil rotten.

“And I’m assuming you want to find out if that’s what you’re getting today, if you can?” She asked next and Sehun nodded again.

“Yeah, yeah if you could tell us that would be great.”  A few of his friends had asked him why he didn’t want to keep it a surprise but he’d never really enjoyed surprises, he didn't have the patience for them. He was one of those people who would open their Christmas presents as soon as they were put under the tree if he could get away with it, he had no willpower whatsoever.

“Well let’s seen then.” The doctor said with a smile and she shifted the probe to the other side of his stomach. It took a couple of minutes of pushing and pressing while she studied the screen before she was turning back to them, still smiling and Sehun hoped that was a good sign. He was sure Jongin was going to the love the baby just the same if it was a boy but that didn't mean he wasn't going to be disappointed about not getting the little girl he'd been wishing for since they'd found out they were expecting.

“And?” Jongin asked when she failed to tell them the news fast enough.

“Well it looks like you’re getting that daughter you wanted.” She replied, glossing over Jongin’s lack of manners. She was obviously used to dealing with impatient parents.

“It’s a girl?” Jongin asked quietly which was kind of a pointless question if you asked Sehun, unless daughter now meant something else entirely then that was exactly what the doctor had just told them. But then he had repeated the words ‘You’re pregnant?’ at least half a dozen times after Sehun had given him that news so it didn’t really come as a surprise.

“Yes, it’s a girl.” The doctor said gently, a touch of amusement in her voice.

“Are you sure?” Jongin asked next, his voice a little hoarse and Sehun looked up and realised there were actual tears in his eyes. And that did come as a surprise because Jongin wasn’t really one for showing emotion in public. At home then yes, he’d openly share how he felt but in front of strangers he was usually too busy putting on a front, acting over confident to mask how out of his comfort zone he felt so to see him get so emotional in front of someone they'd only met a handful of times was a little surreal.

“I’m pretty sure.” The doctor told him, the look on her face making it clear that she thought he was the most adorable thing ever. “I’m not going to say one hundred per cent in case it turns out I’m wrong but I am going to say that I’m fairly confident that I’m right. Now I just need to take a few more measurements then I’ll be done.” And with that she turned back to the screen.

“Did you hear that?” Jongin said turning to Sehun and asking his second pointless question in the space of two minutes.

“Yes I did.” Sehun assured him, of course he’d heard. He’d wanted to know the of the baby as much Jongin had, as if he’d have zoned out of the conversation before hearing what the doctor had to say. “You were right, we’re getting a baby girl.”

And eyes still looking watery Jongin just shook his head as if he still didn’t quite believe it.

“Please don’t tell me you’re about to start crying.” Sehun said, “You’re so embarrassing.”

“I’m not.” Jongin argued but the crack in his voice let him down. As much as he was trying not to cry Sehun could tell he was fighting a losing battle.

And despite what he’d said Sehun found that incredibly endearing. “Yes you are, I can tell.”

Jongin shook his head again and sniffed, wiping away a stray tear with his thumb.

“You’re embarrassing but you’re cute.” Sehun told him, smiling widely now.

Then the doctor was standing back and telling them that everything looked normal. Their daughter seemed perfectly healthy and there was nothing to worry about. Then she was passing Sehun a handful of paper towels so he could wipe off the ultrasound gel before turning back to print them their pictures giving Jongin some time to pull himself together before they left the room.

“I can’t believe you cried.” Sehun said once they’d thanked the doctor and closed the door behind them, ultrasound picture in hand. “I thought people only did that on tv.”

“I didn’t cry.” Jongin maintained.

Sehun snorted. “So what? I imagined the tears then?” He asked, looping is arm through his boyfriends as they made their way down the hall.

“They weren’t tears. My eyes were watering a little that was all.” Jongin said.

“Ah, of course. It was allergies.” Why Jongin was trying so hard to convince him he hadn’t been crying when they both knew he’d never believe he didn’t know. “I guess the pollen count must be high today, what with it being the middle of winter and all.”

“Yes, it was allergies.” Jongin agreed ignoring the sarcasm entirely and Sehun just smiled and tightened his grip on his arm. He really was too cute for words.

Continued here

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

AN: Sekai for xhigoodbye. It's not as long as some of my other one shots but I think it works well as it is so I didn't want to add to it just for the sake of the word count. I hope you like it though, I really did enjoy writing it.

And I really am grateful to everyone who's subscribed and commented so far, to everyone who's read this really. I still can't believe people like it to be honest.

But anyway, enough of that, here's the list

Suchan for kookiehs
Krisyeol for Alluma
Suchen for Justanotherfic
Taohun for ILuvSkyDragon
Krishan for Doyoureallynotseeme
Chankai for VanillaHeaven
Chanxing for soft-kitty
Krisbaek for Rosasaur
Baekchen for kitten83
Krisho for suddon
Xiuhun for XxAngieexX
ing for jang-yehheung
Hanho for resurrection
Xiukris for weepywillow
Baektao for parkbyun
Chenyeol for tini1kero