Kaisoo

One Shots Galore

It had been a really busy night, Saturday nights in Accident and Emergency always were. But he only had a couple of hours left of his shift so as tired as he was he was sure that with the help of one more cup of coffee he could get through it without falling asleep on his feet. The coffee machine in the staff room however was broken and had been for a week so Jongin was heading to reception for his caffeine fix. And he had the coins in his hand and was just about to slot them in the machine when he heard a voice behind him that sounded awfully familiar. A voice that he shouldn’t be hearing because the person it belonged should have been at home in bed.

“Tell me again, what are we doing here?” The voice was saying.

And then an equally familiar voice replied with “I didn’t know what else to do.” and Jongin felt his stomach drop because that sounded like his brother talking and if it was then the first voice definitely belonged to who he thought it did.

“I told you what to do!” the first voice shouted and Jongin, dreading what he was about to see turned around to find that yes, the first voice he’d heard did indeed to belong to Kyungsoo, his heavily pregnant husband who should be at home and asleep not standing in the middle of a hospital waiting area yelling at a harried looking Sehun. “I told you to drop Luhan off at my parents and then take me to the maternity ward!” He continued, clearly unaware of Jongin’s presence. “This is Accident and Emergency and since I haven’t had an accident and this isn’t an emergency then there’s no reason for me to be here.”

“I thought you’d want Jongin.” Sehun mumbled taking a backwards step and it was only then that Jongin noticed Luhan. He was still clad in his pyjamas and was clutching his uncle’s hand in a vice like grip as he stared at his mother in obvious confusion. A truly angry Kyungsoo wasn’t something he was used to seeing and he was obviously having trouble taking it in.

It was no wonder though that Kyungsoo was mad Jongin thought, taking a step forward and trying to think of a way to calm the situation. Bringing him here instead of straight to the maternity unit was in a way forgivable, Jongin wouldn’t be thinking straight either if someone had called him up at three in the morning and asked him to drive them to the hospital because they were in labour. He hadn’t heard either of them say that was why they were there but it didn’t take a genius to work out that was what had happened. Luhan’s presence though meant that Sehun obviously hadn’t listened to a single word Kyungsoo had said. Luhan was three years old, he should be tucked up in bed right now not standing in the middle of a busy A&E department looking petrified. Why Sehun couldn’t have just dropped him off at Kyungsoo’s parents like he’d apparently been asked to Jongin didn’t know but he’d definitely be having words with him later.

And it was Luhan who spotted him first, wrenching his hand out of Sehun’s and darting across the linoleum floor. “Daddy!” He exclaimed, skidding to a halt, his arms pin wheeling as he fought to keep his balance. “Daddy!” He repeated breathlessly once he’d successfully managed to stay upright. “Mummy woke me up and he said Uncle Sehun was going to take me to grandma’s but he didn’t cause we’re here and Mummy keeps shouting at him cause he was making the car go fast and I think Mummy’s hurting cause he’s really grumpy and he keeps making a face and I think it’s cause of the baby cause he keeps holding his tummy and I…”

“Okay, okay, just slow down.” Jongin said, forcing Luhan to stop for breath before he ended up passing out due to lack of oxygen. And to think that when he was a baby they were worried he’d never start talking. He’d been so quiet, not speaking his first proper words until well after his first birthday but once he had started talking he just hadn’t stopped. It was almost impossible now to shut him up, the only time he wasn’t chattering away ten to the dozen was when he was asleep.

“But I don’t like it Daddy.” Luhan told him, his lower lip beginning to tremble. “I kissed it better like Mummy does when I fall down and hurt my knees but it didn’t work, the baby just keeps hurting him”

And Jongin lifted him up from the floor and hugged him tightly because that was just too cute. He was such a good boy, worrying about his mother and trying to make him feel better. “It’s okay baby,” he said as Luhan wrapped one arm around his neck with a sniff before resting his head on his shoulder and sticking his thumb in his mouth, something he only did when he was upset or tired and Jongin was guessing that right now he was both. “Mummy’s going to be fine.” It was his uncle he should be worrying about he thought as he closed the gap between himself and his husband. Kyungsoo looked like he was about to strangle him.

“Just look at him!” he was saying to a bewildered Sehun. “He’s almost in tears and he wouldn’t be if you’d just dropped him off at my parents like I asked you to.”

“I thought it would take too long.” Sehun explained, desperately trying to defend himself. “I mean you told me your contractions were getting stronger so…”

“It would have taken fifteen minutes!” Kyungsoo exclaimed, his voice getting steadily louder. Then he was turning an accusatory glare onto Jongin. “Your brother is a moron.” He informed him bluntly. “I can’t believe I let you talk me into calling him in as back-up if you were at work when my contractions started.”

“He lives on our street.” Jongin reminded him. “It made sense.”

Kyungsoo opened his mouth, obviously intending to argue with him some more but he only got as far as “Yes but…” then he was trailing off, a grimace on his face as he grabbed blindly at Jongin’s arm to steady himself. And then Jongin was the one grimacing because Kyungsoo’s hand had made it to his shoulder and he was digging his nails in hard enough to leave marks.

“You okay?” he asked once Kyungsoo had relaxed his grip. It was a stupid question really, Kyungsoo obviously wasn’t okay. He was still holding onto his shoulder for support, his other arm cradling his stomach he tried to steady his breathing. But it was the only thing Jongin could think of to say.

“That… that one hurt.” Kyungsoo panted, his face pale.

“Okay…” Jongin said, trying to pull himself together. He could feel himself starting to panic and that just wouldn’t do, not when he had Luhan looking up at him like that, the wide eyed look on his face begging him to do something. And not when he was at work, not only were the patients watching but he could see the girl at the reception desk muttering something to a nurse, both of them far too engrossed in what was going on to be professional. And the last thing he needed was for his colleagues to see him fall apart, he’d never live it down. He was supposed to be a doctor. Doctors were meant to be able to handle any crisis that might present itself in a cool and collected manner. “Sehun, can you grab a wheelchair?” he asked, trying to sound as if he was at least a little bit in control of the situation. “I think Kyungsoo needs to sit down.”

“Yes, yes I do.” Kyungsoo agreed as Sehun did as he was asked and made his way over to get one.

Luhan pulled his thumb from his mouth with a pop and patted his mother gently on the head. “Daddy will fix it.” He said, trying to comfort him. And to some extent it worked because Kyungsoo rewarded him with a faint smile.

Then Sehun had returned with the wheelchair and was helping him sit down. “Thank you.” Kyungsoo said reluctantly.

Sehun just nodded and took a step back as if he was afraid Kyungsoo was trying to lull him into a false sense of security by being polite and was going to hit him if he stayed too close.

And then it wasn’t just Luhan who was looking at Jongin expectantly, Kyungsoo and Sehun were too. “Um…” he said, not quite sure what to do next. He still had the rest of his shift to get through, he couldn’t leave everyone in the lurch. But on the other hand he couldn’t abandon Kyungsoo either. He knew Kyungsoo would tell him not to be stupid, tell him he’d be fine on his own until he could come upstairs and join him but he looked so pale and drawn and scared that Jongin didn’t think he could go back to work even if he wanted to. “Right… well… Sehun, if you could take Luhan home that would be great.” That would be a good start he thought, fishing his keys out of his pocket and handing them over. With Luhan out of the way that would be one less thing to worry about.

“But I don’t want to go home!” Luhan whined, his lip beginning to tremble again and tears forming in his eyes. “I want to stay with Mummy!”

Kyungsoo reached up and rubbed at Luhan’s bare ankle, trying to calm him down. It was the only place he could reach from where he was sitting. “I know you don’t sweetie.” He said, “But you need to go to sleep. And hey, if you’re good then Uncle Sehun might make you pancakes for breakfast.”

Luhan gave his mother's words some serious consideration before turning his gaze onto his uncle. “Can I have banana ones?” He asked.

“I don’t know how to make pancakes.” Sehun said, his tone apologetic and Luhan gave another sniff, his eyes automatically began to water again.

“Then just buy him some.” Jongin said, not bothering to keep the exasperation from his voice. Kyungsoo was right, his brother really was a moron.

“Yeah, I guess I could do that.” Sehun agreed having the grace to look slightly embarrassed and then he was turning his attention back to Luhan. “When you wake up tomorrow we’ll go out and buy some banana pancakes then, how does that sound?” He asked softly.

And Luhan, suddenly a lot happier murmured a quiet ‘okay’ and held his arms out to his uncle. Jongin dutifully handed him over.

“Okay,” Sehun said as a satisfied Luhan buried his face into the crook of his neck and popped his thumb back in his mouth, “well since that’s all sorted I guess we should get going.”

“Yeah, I’ll call you when I know what’s happening.” Jongin nodded, “And thanks, for agreeing to watch him, we appreciate it.” As dense as Sehun could be at times Jongin knew how much he adored his nephew and Luhan adored him just as much. To be honest there wasn’t anyone else he’d be half as comfortable leaving him with, not even their parents so he really did appreciate the fact Sehun had agreed take him.

“You’re welcome.” Sehun said with a smile and without waiting for a reply he was making his way towards the main doors, mumbling reassuring words in Luhan’s ear as he went.

Which left Jongin alone with Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo who had completely zoned out from the conversation, his eyes tightly closed as he bit down hard on his lip.

 “Another contraction?” Jongin asked, his brow furrowing in concern.

Kyungsoo blinked his eyes open and slowly shook his head. “No, no it’s my back.” he told him, leaning forward slightly as he tried to ease the pressure. “If it was another contraction you’d know about it. The last one nearly made me pass out. I know they’re supposed to hurt but that was… it was just ridiculous.”

“You’ll be asking for pain relief when we get up to the labour ward then.” Jongin guessed. Kyungsoo had been on the fence about whether or not he wanted a natural birth. Last time the decision had been taken completely out of his hands, Luhan had been breech and they hadn’t been able to get him to turn meaning Kyungsoo had had a planned caesarean so Kyungsoo with no idea what to expect when it came to a natural labour and he hadn’t been sure if he should opt for pain relief or not. The way things were going though Jongin was fairly confident that he'd be asking for the medication.

“Yes, anything they want to give me I will take.” Kyungsoo confirmed without hesitation. “Now can we go? I’m not sure but I think they’re getting closer together.”

Jongin still hadn’t decided what to do about the rest of his shift and he was debating whether or not call a porter over and have them take Kyungsoo up the maternity unit for him when his husband groaned, his face draining completely of colour. “ting ing hell.” He breathed, his knuckles turning white as he gripped the padded arms of the wheelchair.

Jongin blinked bemusedly at him for a second because Kyungsoo and swearing weren’t two things that normally went together then his brain kicked into gear and was spinning the chair around and wheeling it towards the lift. “Hey… you…” he shouted to the nurse who was still watching the show from her spot by the reception desk, “… yeah you,” He said as her eyes widened in surprise, “… Joon Chohee…that’s your name isn’t it?” Of course it was, it was on her nametag, why had he just spent twenty seconds trying to remember what it was? Oh because his husband was in labour and he was approaching a panic attack that was why. Increased stupidity when under pressure was obviously a trait he shared with his little brother he thought resisiting the urge to hit his head against the nearest wall.

Chohee just nodded. She looked nervous, as if she was afraid she was about to be told off for loitering around gossiping when she should be working but Jongin really didn’t have time to stop and scold her. “Tell Doctor Choi that I had to leave early and that I’ll be up on the maternity ward if he needs me.”

Chohee nodded a second time and scampered off before Jongin could change his mind and decide to start yelling at her.

“Please remind me why we decided to have another baby.” Kyungsoo gasped. “Because right now I’m having a really hard time thinking up a reason.”

“So am I to be honest.” Jongin told him as he hit the button for the lift. He was fast coming to the realisation that seeing Kyungsoo in pain wasn’t something he was adequately equipped to deal with. Unfortunately though it was a little too late for him to do anything about it.

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Eight hours later and Jongin had his new-born son in his arms and he remembered exactly why they’d decided to have another baby. That feeling of awe and amazement he’d felt when he’d held Luhan for the first time was back and it wasn’t in any way diluted, everything was just as overwhelming as it had been the first time around because Yonghwan was just as beautiful, just as perfect as his brother. He looked a lot like Luhan actually Jongin noted as he studied him more closely, he was a little smaller than Luhan had been, his eyes a little rounder although you couldn’t really tell now they were closed but other than that Yonghwan was the spitting image of his older brother.

“He’s like a miniature version of Luhan, isn’t he?” Kyungsoo observed as if reading his thoughts and Jongin looked up at his husband and nodded. Dragging his eyes away from the perfect little person in his arms was kind of hard but it wasn’t as if Yonghwan was the only person in the room who deserved his love and admiration. It had taken an hour and a half of pushing before Yonghwan had made his arrival and Kyungsoo deserved a lot more than just his attention, he deserved a medal.

“Yeah he is.” Jongin said quietly, taking in the damp hair still plastered to his husband’s forehead and the bags under his eyes. He was smiling though, despite how exhausted he looked and Jongin found himself smiling back. “You have no idea how much I love you.” He heard himself say and as cheesy and sentimental as the words were he couldn’t bring himself to be embarrassed, not when they’d just caused Kyungsoo’s smile to widen and his cheeks to visibly colour.

“I love you too.” Kyungsoo told him, turning redder still. Then he was quickly changing the subject. “You must be tired.” He said. “You’ve been up all night, you should go home and get some sleep.”

You must be tired... he must be hearing things Jongin thought, shaking his head in disbelief. “You’ve just gone through eight hours of labour and you’re worrying about how tired I might be?”

“Well the last time you got any sleep was yesterday afternoon.” Kyungsoo reasoned, “So you must be exhausted right now.”

“And how long is it since you last slept?” he asked. “And I mean properly, anything less than two hours doesn’t count.” He added before Kyungsoo could tell him it was last night. There was no way he’d slept more than a couple of hours the night before, looking back on it Jongin now knew the Braxton Hicks he’d been having since lunchtime hadn’t been Braxton Hicks at all so here was no way he’d have been able to get comfortable enough to get to sleep.

“The night before last.” Kyungsoo admitted with a sigh. “But you really should go home, as much as Luhan loves being with Sehun he’ll be missing us. And he’ll want to see his baby brother too so go back to the house for a bit. You can ask Sehun to stick around a little longer so you can take a nap and then bring Luhan back with you.”

Kyungsoo, as always, was right. “Luhan was pretty upset last night.” Jongin said, shifting Yonghwan slightly in his arms before continuing. As tiny as he was he was still heavy enough that Jongin was starting to get pins and needles from holding him in one place for so long. “He sounded a lot happier on the phone when I called but that probably had a lot to do with what he was eating.” Sehun had taken him out for breakfast so he’d gotten the banana pancakes he’d been promised. “So he could probably still do with a bit of reassurance.”

“Exactly. He’s only a baby, he had no idea what was going on last night and that must have been terrifying. So give him a hug from me then get some rest. I’ll see you when you get back.”

“Okay.” Jongin agreed, getting to his feet and reluctantly handing Yonghwan over to his mother. “But promise me you’ll get some rest too. If you need any help then just ask for it. No one’s going to mind.”

“That isn’t something you have to worry about.” Kyungsoo told him as he absently Yonghwan’s cheek with his thumb. He was stirring slightly, his hands curling and uncurling. He was probably hungry Jongin thought and Kyungsoo immediately echoed that thought out loud, “He’ll need fed soon but as soon as that’s done I’m planning to sleep for a week.”

“Are you sure you don’t want me to stick around to help you make his bottle up?” Jongin asked. It was the least he could do after everything Kyungsoo had been through.

“I’m sure.” Kyungsoo said firmly. “Now go on, Luhan will be wondering where you are.”

“Fine, I’m going.” Jongin told him, and he started backing his way out of the room. “But remember, if you need…”

“If I need any help then I’ll ask for it.” Kyungsoo assured him with a roll of his eyes.

“Okay, good,” He mumbled. He was in the doorway now but he still wasn’t ready to leave.

“Seriously Jongin…” Kyungsoo said, his eyes narrowing and with a sigh Jongin tore his eyes away from the baby in his arms and headed for the lift before he had a chance to change his mind.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

AN: Some Kaisoo for xNurulx.

I seriously loved writing this even if it did get a little cheesy at the end there.

Thanks again everyone for still being interested in what I write and for all the comments and... yeah just thanks for everything. And here's my to do list

Hunhan for anncherry
Sekai for xhigoodbye
Suchan for kookiehs
Krisyeol for Alluma
Suchen for Justanotherfic
Taohun for ILuvSkyDragon
Krishan for Doyoureallynotseeme
Chankai for VanillaHeaven
Chanxing for soft-kitty
Krisbaek for Rosasaur
Baekchen for kitten83
Krisho for suddon
Xiuhun for XxAngieexX
ing for jang-yehheung
Hanho for resurrection
Xiukris for weepywillow
Baektao for parkbyun
Chenyeol for tini1kero