Chapter 8: A new scene

THE HEART NEVER LIES [ON HIATUS]

Chapter 8: A new scene

Kang JaeMin (POV)

I was in JaeYoung oppa's car with Miyong. Miyong was listening to her iPod and JaeYoung oppa was quiet. I was replaying my movie time with 2PM last night.

Chansung sat beside me. I don't why, but I felt extra nervous about him sitting beside me. He was asking me a bunch of question like "How did you know AeRa?", "What kind of movies do you like?", "Are you cold?", and some other questions that i can't recall. He was really caring and attentive. He made sure that I was comfortable and he made sure that his long legs wasn't bothering me. He even lend me his jacket, just in case I was cold. I like the attention he was giving me, no one ever made me feel that way. But I knew that a good looking guy like him wouldn't like a simple girl like me. 

We arrived at the academy and headed straight to our lockers. Today its was Ms.Hwang's class. Ms.Hwang wanted to know the songs that we've picked for the showcase. We were on our way to dancing class, we as in the four of us, Jaeyoung oppa, Miyong, AeRa and me. I saw 2PM sunbaenim walked into the class together with Hyun Ae shi, who was clinging arms with Taecyeon sunbae. Then I saw Chansung sunbae at the back, he was talking to Wooyoung. He was good looking as ever. My heart was beating at an abnormal speed again. He noticed me and smiled at me. I smiled back nervously. I didn't know why I was so nervous. But he made me nervous. I couldn't explain it. 

We stepped in the class and I saw B2ST members were chatting amongst themselves. Yoseop was waving at me and calling me to sit beside him. He looked good today, he had his hair up in a tousled hairdo, usually he just lets his hair down, which made him look babyish and cute, there's nothing wrong with that either.

I remembered the first time I met Yoseop I didn't have that nervous feeling about him, in fact I was comfortable and relaxed around him. I liked to be around him. It was like a moth to a light. I was the moth and he was the light. We quickly put down our backpacks and sat down beside them. 

"Good morning. Did you sleep well last night?" Yoseop asked

"I did. You?" I asked back. I was admiring the way he looked today.

"I slept well too. I'm excited about today." He answered. He noticed that I was staring. "Is there something on my face?" He asked.

"No, I like your hair today, you look good. It's new to me" I complimented him.

He smiled at me. His face was turning red. "Gomawo." he said.


Ms.Hwang walked in the studio looking cool as ever. She was wearing a snow cap, loose t-shirt and liquid leggings which shows off her lean legs. As soon as she settle down, she called group by group to get their song choice. There were a total of 3 teams. First group to called up was Dujun's group, they sat in a circle together with Ms.Hwang, while the other groups were just watching them. Ms.Hwang the radio, it was 2NE1's I am Best playing.

"Guys, please chat amongst yourselves. When I'm done with this group, I'll call the next group. Be prepared." Ms.Hwang 

After Dujun's group was sophomore HaeRin's group. Ms.Hwang talked to each of the members in the group. Trying to get an opinion from them on which song they like best and which song she thinks fits them. 

"Are they any good?" JaeMin asked Junhyung

"I've never seen them perform in a group before, but I know that they're really good." Junhyung replied.

"You meant all of them are good or just some of them?" Miyong asked

"All of them. But I think HaeRin is a good freestyle dancer." Yoseop said.

"You  might see her all smiley right now, but when she dances, she's a whole other person." Hyunseung replied.

Minji was quiet the whole time. It was her first dance class. She was watching all of the students, getting to know their faces.

"Minji shi, why are you so quiet?" JaeMin asked

"Oh, I was just surveying everybody. For my own future reference." Minji answered.

"Anybody caught your attention?" Junhyung asked

"I think that guy, with the red shirt look kinda intimidating" Minji replied.

"JinRyu?He's half Japanese. He's a good pop and locker." Hyunseung said.

Last group to be called up was Junhyung's group. Minji introduced herself to Ms.Hwang and sat down. Junhyung was explaining what they have discussed before to Ms.Hwang. They were talking about their solo parts, the intros and the big ending.

After Junhyung's group, Ms.Hwang stood up and switched off the radio.

"Alright class, that was nice talking to each and everyone of you. It's important to get to know your members and who are you working with. You need to know your member's strength and weaknesses. I'm excited to choreograph to these songs that you guys picked." Ms.Hwang said. "For Dujun's group, I have picked Beautiful Monster by Ne-Yo. HaeRin's group, I've picked a new song called Neverland by U-Kiss and the last group's music will be Wedding dress by TaeYang. Each group have a different types of beats and rhythm. I will choreograph for you, but I need you to give me ideas, creativity and be innovative." She continued.

Ms.Hwang scheduled each group for dance lesson. 

"The time for each lesson is the same time like today, in the morning. Please do not be late. If I think that some group needs more practice, you will have to stay back after class. No complaints." Ms.Hwang told the class. "Last but not least, before you guys go, I know that each group will have solo parts for each member, but I want you, yourself to pick your solo parts. Which part of the music that you want to make a statement for yourself. Think of your whole performance, how will you want to start your the dance, when do you start. Timing is very important. I know this is just a showcase, but I want each of you shine through. As a group and as an individual. Arattji?" Ms.Hwang added.

"Arasseo Hwang seonsaengnim." the class replied.

 


Miyong (POV)

After dance class, we headed to the cafeteria. We sat at our usual table with usual suspect. I was getting comfortable around SMA. My old friends and my new friends had made it easier to fit in. Only the first week in SMA, I'm already overwhelmed with preparing for showcase, working after school and today was our extra curricular activities day. I had signed up for volleyball, not sure what to expect from it.

JaeMin and AeRa already headed to their extra curricular activities. Yoseop was accompanying JaeMin to the swimming pool, Nichkhun was walking with AeRa, all smiley and giggling. There goes the new lovebirds, I thought to myself. JaeYoung oppa and Junhyung shi already headed to the soccer field. Everyone seem to have their own agenda going on. Dujun left behind to accompany me to the volleyball court.

He was nice enough to hang around me. I never once smiled at him, and the amounts of sentences that I talked to him was easily counted. But he never complaint. Yesterday he even came with me to work.  He fell asleep on one of the couches at the cafe until my shift ended and drove me home. Now, he is carrying my new volleyball team uniform. Even though I hesitated, but he insisted on carrying it for me. As if it weights a ton.

He took off his blazer and walked ahead of me. He was whistling to our duet song. Cute, I said to myself. He was peeking at me while whistling and quickly turned around after he noticed I was watching him too. He broke into a laugh.

"Waeyo?" I asked him

"Aniyeyo." He answered me with a smile

"What is it?" I asked him again.

"I didn't know that you were watching me from the back." He said.

"Oh. I was listening to you whistling to our duet song." I said

"I see..." Dujun was walking backwards looking at me. "So, why volleyball?" He asked out of a sudden

"I'm good at it." I replied. "How about you? Why soccer?" I asked curiously

"It's my passion besides performing. Soccer is the only thing that I'm truly confident about. It's the one thing that makes me happy." He said proudly

I didn't have a reply for that. He was passionate about soccer and I could see it in his eyes that he meant every words he said to me.

"Dujun shi..." I called him

"Deh?" He replied.

"Why do you hang around with me? I'm such a bore, I don't talk much and I don't even crack a smile. Why?" I asked anxiously

"You're not a bore. I just like hanging out with you. Waeyo? Do I seem like a stalker to you?" He asked

"Ani. Usually people avoid me. Except JaeMin, AeRa and JaeYoung oppa." I said to him

"I'm one of the exception too." He smiled again. "Why are you so quiet though? If you don't mind me asking. I mean is it like a genetic thing or some incident made you this way?" He asked bluntly.

There he goes with that question. I'm not sure if I should tell him or am I even ready to tell him, I didn't know him well enough to spitted out everything. I was never like this, I used to be a cheerful person. Smiled at everyone that I meet, sociable and approachable person. Because of that one incident that happened 3 years ago, it had overshadowed me and it keeps replaying in my head whenever it's time. Since then, I became me now. A total opposite of whom I was.

"Sorry, I shouldn't asked that much. You don't have to tell me. It's ok, I was being a busy body." He looked at me as if he understood that I wasn't ready to tell him.

 


Dujun (POV)

She hesitated a little when I asked her that question. I could see that she wasn't comfortable talking about it. I wanted to get to know her so badly. I wanted to erased all her bad memories but I held myself back, I didn't want to push her away. I have to be patient, she will eventually open up to me, I said to myself.

I didn't know why was I attracted to her. There's no doubt that she's pretty, she's  fair skinned, long black hair and fit dancer body.  Maybe it was her secretive side that attracted me, all her deep dark secrets that makes me filled with curiosity all the time or maybe It was the way she looked at me, like she wanted to get to know me too, I think, I hope. 

The first time she sat in my truck, I started to have interest on her. I guess that's why B2ST members called me 'The most likely to fall in love at first sight'.

We arrived at the volleyball court. I handed her the uniform.

"Thanks." She said

"No problem. Call me when you finish here, I can give you a ride to work. If I don't answer my phone, I'm probably still playing soccer, so just come by the soccer field. AeRa, Jaeyoung, Yoseop, Junhyung and Gikwang will be there too." I said

"You don't have to give me a ride every time. It's so troublesome for you, It's not even the same way going back to your house." she said.

"I can't exactly let you go alone to work either. I bet Yoseop will be sending JaeMin to work." sounding a little paranoid. "Don't worry about it. Just give me a call or drop by the field after you're done here, okay?" I asked

"Ok. See you later." she answered and went in to the girls locker room.

 


Yoseop (POV)

I was walking behind JaeMin. She had her copper blonde hair down today and clipped up her fringe. She looked extra cute today than her usual ponytail hair.

JaeMin and I had been closer day by day. She seems to be used of having me by her side. It's like an automatic reaction for us to be together. But I still couldn't tell what she felt about me. There are sudden time where she would put her arms on my shoulder or patted my head or even said that I was adorable, that made my heart skipped and did somersaults. But then I told myself not to get overboard with it, maybe it's a normal thing for her. 

I was excited to get to track field. I wanted to ask AeRa about JaeMin, do a little interrogation for myself. 

"What are you thinking about?" She asked. I didn't even noticed that she'd stop walking.

"I was doing my daydreaming thing again." I answered 

"What about?" she was curious

"Nothing special." I told her a white lie. I can't exactly tell her that I was thinking about her and I had the intention to do a little interrogation.

"liar" She turned around and continued walking towards the indoor swimming pool. "There must be something special, since I called your name for like over 3 times and you didn't even noticed." she continued.

"You did? Mianhae, this daydreaming thing is getting out of control" I replied her.

"You should get it checked. It  might be contagious. I was affected by it not too long ago." She joked. This time I caught up on her she was walking beside me.She was almost the same height as me. But I wished I was a tad taller.

"I'll make an appointment. Make sure you come along too, maybe you need to have it checked before it reaches my stage." I joked along.

She  laughed. Her face lit up when she laugh and I was happy to hear her laughing. I put both of my hands on her shoulder and walked her in.

"Can I come to see you practice after my swimming?" She asked.

"Yeah, of course." I said.

"See you later daydreamer." She smiled at me and walked away.

This girl is gonna make me start taking heart medicine, I said to myself.

 


 

At the indoor swimming pool...

JaeMin went in the locker room to get changed. She was looking around the girls, none that she recognized. After she'd changed, she went out. JaeMin was zipping up her backpack and bumped into Chansung, who were walking towards the boys locker room with Nichkhun.

"Mianhae!" JaeMin apologized. She looked up and saw that it was Chansung. "Oh! Chansung sunbaenim, Nichkhun sunbaenim! Clumsy me. Jeongmal mianhae." She apologized again.

"Gwaenchana, don't worry about it. You're in the swimming team too?" He asked

"Yes." She answered.

"Cool! I'll see you later, I gotta change." Chansung went in to the boys locker room. Nichkhun followed him at the back.

JaeMin was surprised that Chansung is in the swimming team. She didn't know how to act around him. JaeMin was starting to get nervous again. She lay her bag on the bench by the pool. She noticed a girl was already warming up in the pool. She couldn't see her face because she was using a goggles. The girl was good. She took off her goggles, JaeMin went nearer to see who's the girl. It was Hyun Ae. 

Hyun Ae turned around and noticed that JaeMin was looking at her.

"Oh, annyeong!" Hyun Ae greeted her. "You're joining the swimming team too?" she asked

"Yes." That was all JaeMin can answer.

"You're JaeMin right? Where's your follower? Your duet partner."Hyun Ae asked

"You mean Yoseop shi? He's not my follower, he's a friend." JaeMin replied

"He seems to like you a lot, he keeps following you around like a puppy."Hyun Ae said

"We're just good friends." JaeMin said

"Well, I know with the way he looked at you in class, he likes you." Hyun Ae told her. She came out from the pool and sat on the bench.

Hyun Ae's face lit up when Chansung and Nichkhun came out from the locker room. Half , only wearing their swimming shorts. Chansung sat beside JaeMin while Hyun Ae was already enjoying her time with Nichkhun by the pool side.

"Nice to see you here." Chansung said to JaeMin

"Really?" JaeMin asked in disbelief

"JaeMin right?" He asked

"Yup. I didn't know you joined the swimming team" JaeMin replied.

"For almost 4 years now, this will be my last year here in the academy." Chansung said.

"So, who's the coach?" JaeMin asked.

"It's Coach Peterson. He's an Australian coach." Chansung said while looking at JaeMin. "So, are you any good?" he asked

"I used to compete. I've always love swimming that's why I decided to join." she told him.

"Maybe we should have a little competition of our own, a friendly match. Me and you. See who's the fastest." He suggested.

"Sure, what are we competing for?" She asked confidently

"If I win, you treat me and if you win, I treat you." He said.

JaeMin wasn't even sure if she was good enough to compete with him. But just the thought of it makes her excited. It was just a friendly match.

"Deal" She handshake with Chansung. Chansung winked at her. "What's up with Hyun Ae hanging around you guys all the time?"

"I can't stand her, she's trying too hard. At best I avoid her." Chansung replied

"Does she like Nichkhun?" JaeMin looking at them by the pool

"I'm not sure. But I think Nichkhun shi likes that friend of yours, ermmm....What's her name? The bubbly one" He asked.

"AeRa?" JaeMin asked curiously

"Yup that's her. After the movie, he kept talking about her. But I have to warned you, since I've known Nichkhun for so long, he's not they type to keep girls around for long." Chansung said

"You're kidding?" JaeMin was surprised.

"I don't want to interfere. I mean this is between the two of them. Maybe AeRa can change him, who knows." Chansung told her.

"I'm gonna keep an eye on him from now on." JaeMin said. "How about you? Aren't you dating anyone?" JaeMin asked bluntly.

"Not right now. I have to focus on my senior year." He replied

That made JaeMin happy. Knowing that Chansung doesn't date anyone at the moment. She liked him, he was charming, tall and he's a caring guy.

At the track field...

Gikwang was warming up with Yoseop. AeRa was standing beside Gikwang stretching. Minji came and join them later. Everyone was surprised that Minji joined the track team too. AeRa was so happy that another girl was joining and she hugged Minji. Out in the field, was Junhyung, Dujun and JaeYoung warming up together.

 


JaeYoung (POV)

I miss the soccer field. Dujun was already excited about practice while Junhyung was siting on the grass, waiting to fall asleep. He was never a sport person. Since SMA required every students to join any extra curricular activities, he was forced to. 

"Aigoo, jjinja. I so do not need to be here!" JunHyung already complaining.

"Junhyungie, why did you even pick soccer? You're not even good at it." Dujun asked

"Well, since you guys are here, why not?" he answered.

"Dujun ah, what's up with you and Miyong? You two seem to hang out a lot." I asked.

"She's my partner for the duet." he answered

"But you hang out with her after class too." I asked again.

"You want me to say it out loud don't you?" Dujun answered me. "Okay, I like her. Don't ask me why, even I can't figure it out myself." He continued.

"This is new, I've known you for so long, I've never seen you fall for a girl like her." Junhyung said.

"Well I can't help how I feel about a person. It just happened." Dujun replied.

"Just take a good care of her. She's like a sister to me. I mean if you break her, I'll break you." I warned him

"Don't worry about it, she's not interested in me. I can't even get her to smile. Even just a little one. But whatever it is, I'll take a good care of her." Dujun said.

"Kamsahamnida. I 'preciate it." I thanked him. "I just don't want to see her break down again." I told him

I was worried that Dujun will be another person that will make her cry. Not that I don't trust him, but I can't control people's feelings. I had to make sure that Miyong doesn't go through another dark phase. It was tough on all of us to see her like that. I was like a protective brother to all of my best friends. Making sure that no one hurt them. All I want is for her to be happy, I just hope someone could bring the old Miyong back that we missed.

Dujun was really interested in her, I could tell. But I know that Miyong haven't told him about what happened to her. The only people that knows what happened was JaeMin, AeRa, her parents and me. She told us not tell anybody about the incident unless she was ready to tell them. So we were the only ones that understands why was she acting this way.

I got back into warm up. I was sitting on the grass beside Junhyung, who was enjoying the sun with his sunglasses on with two hand behind his head. I saw Minji was warming up too. I ran over to the track field to say hi.

"Minji shi!" I waved at her.

She turned around. "JaeYoung sunbae, annyeonghaseyo." She greeted.

"You're a runner too?" I asked

"Deh." She answered.

"Impressive." I said.

"You haven't even seen me run yet." She said

"Well, I think girls who joined the track team is impressive." I told her

"You're in the soccer team?" She asked

"Yeah, I'm a defender." I was trying to read her expression.

"Impressive" She was quoting me back. 

"(Chuckled)...Wait 'till you watch me play." I said. "Hey let's get together after all this, we need to discuss about our duet." I suggested

"Sure, no problem." She said.

I could hear Dujun was calling me from a distance. 

"See ya!" I said to her.

I was excited about hanging out with her. Not sure what to expect but I wanna get to know her anyway.

 


 

How did chapter 8 go? Good, lame, boring or exciting? Please give me advice or comments  so that I can improve to write better fanfics.!

Thank You!