Chapter 3: The first assignment

THE HEART NEVER LIES [ON HIATUS]

The first assignment

After listening to Ms.Shim, the freshmens started to get worried, except for Park Hyun Ae shi, who was busy flirting with the seniors.

"2pm boys! Will you guys come up here and and sing for us? It could be a welcoming gifts to the freshmens." The boys one by one came to front. "Why don't you guys introduce yourself first?" Ms.Shim continued.

2pm started to introduced themselves, Junsu, Taecyeon, Nichkhun, Junho, Wooyoung and Chansung. The class gave them a round of a applause after their introduction. The boys went up on a small stage in the classroom, just enough to fit all 6 of them. It was a small stage since its the vocal class and not a dancing studio.

"We'll be singing a song that we've been praticing for a while, it's a song written and created by Park JinYoung shi from JYP Entertainment." Taecyeon said. "He wants to sign us to his record label, so he created a song for us to practice and perform for the mid-term exams, it's called i'll be back." He added.

The classroom were amazed that 2pm already has a record label interested in them. 2pm are known for their aecrobatic and dancing skills. Junsu gave the CD to Ms.Shim and took their spots on stage.

 


MiYong (POV)

Watching 2pm perform gave me goosebumps. It was really entertaining to see them perform. They did a shuffling move on the chorus part of the song, everyone was so synchronize and the timing was perfect. The class was quiet and you can see their faces was saying "WOW!" Even B2ST members were amazed. I told myself "I want to be like that, I want to dance like them, I want to perform  like that and I want to give audience that reaction when I perform."

AeRa pulled me to one side and said "They're so cool! Nichkhun is hot! I think I have a crush on him! Look at the way he smiles!" JaeMin overheard what she said.

"AeRa ah, they're our seniors, I don't think they will like us freshmen" JaeMin trying to convinvce AeRa. Totally trying to burst AeRa's bubble.

JaeMin is older than us by a few months, so she always been like a big sister to us and looking after us, AeRa is the youngest. JaeMin makes sure that we don't get hurt and behave properly . As my cousin, JaeMin has always been doing things on a safer side, taking precaution and following the rules. She makes sure that we don't overdo things that will ended up embarassing ourselves. She's the only person that I can truly trust.

"It doesn't mean that they have to like me back, I can have fan crush" AeRa replied back.

Knowing AeRa, she doesn't just have crushes on people. She actually falls for them and get hurt by them. Her choices in guys sometimes needs some major help. But what do I know, I only fell in love once and that was a long time ago. 

 


AeRa (POV)

I thought Nichkhun looks the coolest. Sparkly eyes, fair skin, tall and cute smile. I was almost out of breath when I saw him perform, and his biceps was a showstopper. Maybe I'm over exaggerating a little but what can I say? The guy is hot!

JaeMin told me that the seniors might not have any interest on us freshmen, but can't I be a fan? After 2pm perform , the class went crazy. It was a standing ovation from the whole class. Ms.Shim looks impressed too. They went back to their seats. 

I was seating at the side of the walkway, when Nichkhun passed he suddenly said "Annyeonghaseyo, Lee AeRa shi" and went back to his seat.

At that moment, I could hear the other girls in the class were gasping, they can't believe what just happened. But I couldn't care less, I thought I was going to get a heartattack, I lightly slapped myself to check if I was dreaming or not. But I wasn't. Nichkhun just said "Annyeonghaseyo" to me. He even remembered my name!

Miyong and Jaemin was looking at me. Miyong then said "AeRa ah, breathe, we don't want you to faint. Inhale, exhale". I didn't even pay any attention to what she said.

"Aigoo, uri dongsaeng ah, I think her mind left her body, she's not responding to what you just said" JaeMin waving her hand in front of my eyes.

Then Miyong hit my arm and said "YA! Come back! Hello?! Inhale, exhale, breathe".

I followed Miyong's instruction, and started inhaling and exhaling. I peeked a glance at Nichkhun shi, and I saw that he was looking at me too! I immediately compose myself, I don't want to embarass myself in front of everyone on my first day in SMA and smiled back at him. Not sure if it was a smile or a smirk, because I was too nervous, i did it so fast and turn to the front to pay attention to Ms.Shim.

I said to myself "Aigoo, the first day of class in SMA and I didn't pay any attention to it". If this goes on like this, I might get kicked out of SMA faster than any student.

 


JaeYoung (POV)

 

I was in musical instrument class, sitting at the back of the class practicing. Mr. Han has given me a piece to practice for the assignment. I've always enjoyed playing piano, I find it peaceful. I can read music notes and listen to new songs and play it on the piano. 

A girl came up to me, "Oppa, you play the piano so well. Can you please tutor me?". I looked up at her, I've never seen her before. Must be new I thought to myself.

I asked "What's your name?"

The girl said "Kim ShinNa Ibnida, I'm a new sophomore here. I just transfered here today".

"ShinNa, I'm sorry I don't have time to tutor you, I need to practice on my own" He replied

"Can't you spare some time to tutor me? Please JaeYoung oppa?" She asked. The girl was sounding desperate. Not in a "I really need your help with my piece of music" but in a "I just want to spent some time with you" kinda way.

I just do not like desperate girls. They seem pathetic and helpless to me.

"So sorry, but I overheard you practice the whole piece, and i thought you were not bad. I don't think you need any help from me" I rejected her. Her face turned sour after being rejected. She turned around and went back to her seat.

I didn't like girls to hang out with me just because they want to go on a date with me. I think it's a waste of time since I have no interest in any girls in this academy so far.

The atmosphere of the class was quiet, except the sounds of the instruments. Everyone seem to be really focused on the piece that Mr.Han hand picked out for us for the up coming showcase.

Only the music instruments class was separated by freshmen, sophomore, junior and senior. So I didn't know anybody that I'm close to in the class. Ocassionally, I will talk to the other students, but it's not same like talking to my best friends or with B2ST members. I couldn't wait until it was recess time because I want to hang out with them and asked them about their first class.

 


 

In Ms.Shim's vocal class...

 

 Ms.Shim was teaching the basics of voice control, breathing, stamina, emotion. The students were all paying 100 percent focus on her. In the class, groups were automaticly form. The freshmens which was only 5 of us, sophomore was the B2ST members, juniors were 7 girls and seniors were 2pm. Easy as that.

Ms.Shim gave us an assignment. It was a duet assignment. She wants the freshmens to work with the sophomore and the juniors to work with the seniors. They can pick any song, but it must show their vocal ability. It will be a showcase for the vocal freshmen students and a welcoming performance by the other students.

Earlier on, Ms.Shim already paired up each students according to their ability and how both voice can compliments each other. But a junior will have to pair up with one of the sophomore because there are not enough freshmen to pair up with.

Ms.Shim took out her list and call out their names.

Song Eun Hee and Son DongWoon

Park Hyun Ae and Yong JunHyung

Kang JaeMIn and Yang Yoseop

Hua MiYong and Yoon Dujun

Lee AeRa and Lee Gi Kwang

Chae YuNi and Jang HyunSeung

"Those are the first group of duet. Now I will call out the second group." Ms.Shim said to the class

Han HyeYong and Kim Junsu

Yang LiNa and Nichkun Horvejkul

Soo MinHee and Ok TaecYeon

Kang SuYun and Jang Wooyoung

Kwon SolMi and Lee JunHo

Lee YoonJi and Hwang Chansung

"You guys have 2  weeks to prepare for this, you will soon get other assignment from other classes for the showcase, so I suggest you to pick out a song fast!." Ms.Shim said. "It will be a 3 day showcase, from Friday to Sunday, not necessarily all of you perform in one day, we will have to mix it up with the dancing class and the musical instruments class too. Please invite your family to come. Each student are allowed to bring 2 guest. More than that they have to get tickets." She added.

"Any question? Before you guys go for recess?" Ms.Shim asked. "Park Hyun Ae shi, what do you want to ask?" pointing at Hyun Ae, who was rainsing her hand..

"Ms.Shim, are we allowed to change partners for the showcase?" Hyun Ae asked. Clearly not happy with her partner that Ms.Shim picked out for her.

"No. You worked with the partner that I've assign to you." Ms.Shim replied her. "Anybody else? Nobody? Okay good! So I will give each pairs a total of 3 days including today to pick out your song, make sure you have a few in mind, so that I can help picked out which song suit your voices best, arratji class?" she added.

"Deh, arasseo Ms.Shim" The class answered.

"Joha, you guys can now go for recess, I suggest that the pairs start to get to know each other, chemistry is important for a duet!" Ms.Shim suggested to the class. "Thank you for today, nice to meet the freshmens and I will see you all tomorrow" Ms.Shim ended the class.

"Kamsahamnida Ms.Shim" The class thank her and left the room.

Some of the students already started to get to know each other and some went and talk to Ms.Shim. JaeMin, Miyong and AeRa all headed to the cafeteria. B2ST members followed them too.

 


On their way to the cafeteria...

 

"Ya jjinja mwoya?! Why do I have to be stuck with that brat?! Maldo andwae!" JunHyung started to voice out. B2ST members started laughing. "Hyung, it's not funny! You guys get all the good ones" He said.

"(still laughing)...Junhyung ah, didn't you hear what Ms.Shim said, she matched you both up because of how your voice compliments each other..." Gikwang said while patted Junhyung's shoulder.

JaeMin, Miyong and AeRa was walking in front of them and overheard their conversation.

"I don't really like her too...She kinda gives a bad vibe" JaeMin told them while walking.

"See?! Even the girls doesn't like her!" Junhyung covered his face with his hands.

"Gwaenchana, we will help you, you'll be fine." Hyunseung put his arms over Junhyung's shoulder.

"If she start ing over you, just give her hell, we're still older than her, she should respect us." Dujun said to Dongwoon.

Yoseop went up front to catch up with JaeMin, his partner for the showcase.

 


JaeMin (POV)

Yoseop catched up with me and started walking beside me.

"Annyeong partner!" He smiled and waved at me.

"Annyeong to you too! I greeted him and waved back.

"I'm glad we're partners, I like the way you sang this morning" He complimented me.

"(blushed) Me too. I was glad that Ms.Shim put us together." I added.

"So, how should we do this? Picking out the songs, and then practicing?" Yoseop asked. Then his stomach starts to rumble. Yoseop's face when red, one hand covered his face and the other on his stomach. "Mianhae, jjinja baegopa (Sorry, I'm really hungry)". He apologized to me.

"(laughing).. It's ok, I'm really hungry too!" I replied him. I thought Yoseop was cute. He made me laugh. It immediately erased all the awkwardness we had earlier on. I felt comfortable around him. Which was a good thing since we have to duet together for the showcase. But Yoseop had yet to know my fear for the stage, I have to tell him that before we start practicing. Maybe he can help me out.

We arrived at the cafeteria. A lot of students were lining up to get food, and some were already hanging out at the tables. I saw JaeYoung oppa waving at us from far, I waved back and went straight to his table.

 


 

With B2ST members leading the way, the girls followed them and took their food, then went straight to the table where JaeYoung oppa is sitting.

"Jjinja baegopa! Eat well everyone!" Yoseop said to the whole table.

"JAMKKAN MANYO! Don't eat first!" JaeYoung putting his hand up over is head to stop everyone from eating. "We should at least have a welcome toast to JaeMin, Miyong and AeRa. Welcome girls!" holding up his apple juice to cheers.

Everyone hold up their drinks for the toast.

"A toast to all of us for meeting new friends!" Yoseop said

"And also a toast to all these boys, for being nice to my best friends, I hope that you guys can continue to look out for  these girls for me too. They're practically my family." JaeYoung's request to B2ST.

"Jaeyoung goon, geogjeonghaji maseyo(Don't worry), your friends is our friends too." said Dongwoon.

"Jeongmal gamsahabnida! CHEERS!" JaeYoung cheered. "Okay now let's eat!" He added.

Their table was the loudest. 10 of them siting together, getiing to know each other, talking, joking and laughing. Students at the cafeteria were all looking at them. Female students were paying a lot of attention to JaeMin, Miyong and AeRa. They're jealous that they get to hang out with B2ST. Park Hyun Ae came and suddenly interupt them.

"Annyeonghaseyo everyone. I guess you all recognize me, I'll be partnering with Junhyung shi for the showcase" Hyun Ae said. 

"Annyeonghaseyo". Everyone replied. Then it was all awkward, everyone was quiet and Hyun Ae continued standing there looking at all of them. Junhyung on the other hand was enjoying his food. 

"Junhyung shi, we should get together sometime to discuss about the showcase. Guide me well" She said to Junhyung.

Junhyung looked at her. "Arasseo." He said coldly to her. Junhyung hates to be ordered around, especially by girls like Park Hyun Ae.

"Maybe after school, at my place?" she asked

Everyone at the table were looking at both of them conversing.

"Can we please talk about this later Hyun Ae shi? Can't you see I'm eating? You're gonna make me loose my appetite." He answered her.

"Mianhae, but please tell me when can we practice, I don't want to look bad just because you're not interested performing with me" She lashed back at Junhyung and left the table.

"Hyun Ae shi, cockiness never gets you anywhere." Junhyung replied her. She stopped and looked back at Junhyung. She was mad and she hated that Junhyung was mean to her. She turned around and walk away.

There was silence around the table. Everyone was looking at Junhyung.

He looked up and said "Waeyo?"

"That girl is no joke. She's gonna be a pain in the ." Dujun said to Junhyung.

"We haven't even started, she's already giving me headache" Junhyung rubbing his forehead.

"Junhyung shi, you want me to slap her? I can give a good slap, I'll slap her 'till her mom can't recognize her." AeRa joked. Everyone at the table laughed.

"Pfffft....Yeah right!" JaeMin being sarcastic towards AeRa's offer to Junhyung.

"(laughing) Thanks AeRa shi, I think I can handle her." He answered.

They continued to eat their food. Dujun who was sitting beside Miyong, started to make conversations with her.


DUJUN (POV)

"Miyong shi, are you okay of me being your partner?" I asked her.

"Yes." Miyong replied him

In my head I was thinking "Is that all you can say?". I wanted to get to know her, so we can give a good peformance later at the showcase. 

"How was vocal class just now? Was it good?" I asked again.

"Not bad, 2PM sunbaenim(seniors) were cool." She answered.

"Yeah, they're awesome!... I thought you were gonna give me another single syllable" I said to her.

"Sorry, I'm just not the type to talk a lot."  Miyong replied

"Is there a reason for that?" I asked. Looking at her, curious of why Miyong shi is so different than her other friends. She was just too quiet. I noticed that she hardly smiles at anyone. Not even the respectable Ms.Shim.

"No, no reason. I'm just like that." Miyong answered me with a straight face. Obviously, she's not opening up to me.

"Okay,  I guess your not telling me, that's cool." I stood up, changed my seats and sat in front of her. "Miyong shi, I think you are like the dark horse here, the one who is gonna blow our minds off" I said.

She was looking at me with that "Are you nuts?" kinda expression. "You haven't even see me perform yet." She finally said to me. "Why do you assume that I'm gonna blow your mind off?" She said coldly.

"I just know. There's always a reason, why Ms.Shim offered you the sholarship herself. Besides, I have confident on my partner." I winked at her. A friendly wink.

 


 

 

Tell me how did chapter 3 went. Was it good, lame, fun, exciting? Please comment on it or give me advice so that I can improve better. Thanks!