Chapter 10: Showcase is near...

THE HEART NEVER LIES [ON HIATUS]

Chapter 10: Showcase is here...

Amusement park...

JaeMin (Pov)

It was getting late. Not knowing where the rest went, I was walking all alone looking for food stalls to feed my hungry tummy. I found an empty table not too far from the fountain. I noticed a lot of people were gathered by the fountain, cheering and clapping. I was curious. So, I walked towards the fountain carrying my hot dog on my right hand and my drink at the other. I managed to squeeze through the crowd.

I saw two people were standing in the middle of the fountain hugging. 'Are they crazy?' I said to myself. I couldn't recognize their faces because of the water fountain. I wasn't sure what were the crowd clapping about, I just stood there not knowing what these couple just did. I started asking around.

Me: "What just happened here? What are those 2 crazy people doing there?"

Stranger: "The guy started dancing in the middle of the fountain, I think he was cheering the girl up."

Me: "The guy was dancing?"

Stranger: "Yeah! His dance moves are pretty wacky. But he made the girl laugh. Then he gave her a hug."

Me: "What a bunch of weirdos. They're gonna get sick if they continue to stand there."

The couple finally break apart from their hugging marathon. The guy took the girl's hand and brought her out of the founta....! It's Dujun and Miyong?! I was covering my mouth, holding in my scream, rubbing my eyes a couple of times, just to make sure. The guy that I talked to earlier on was looking at me weirdly.

I couldn't believe it! Miyong was actually smiling. That's something I've haven't seen in a long time. I was watching them from afar, not sure if I should interrupt them or just let them be. But curiosity was building inside of me, I wanted to know so badly what was going on between them and how on earth did Mr. Yoon Dujun managed to make Miyong laughed?

Dujun took out his towel from his backpack and helped Miyong to dry off. I could see that she was shivering. Dujun went to the nearest souvenir stall to get new t-shirts for both of them. He took the towel from her hand and helped dry off her hair. Watching them from a distance, made me realized that these two look good together. Dujun is a sweet and caring guy, whom I think likes Miyong a lot. Now, it's only up to Miyong to slowly open her heart to him. But I think Dujun made a big leap today with her. I was happy for my cousin, I was happy that she was laughing and smiling again.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and saw it was Yoseop.

"Where have you been? I've been looking all over for you" His face looked worried.

"Look over there." I pointed into Dujun and Miyong's direction.

"Is that Dujun and Miyong shi? Is she smiling at Dujun hyung?" He asked

"Yup. Some guy just told me that Dujun was dancing to cheer Miyong up. Then he hugged her." I said.

"YA! Jjinja daebak!" Yoseop said. "C'mon, let's not disturb their happy moment." He said.

He brought me to a table far away from Dujun and Miyong. He bought himself a hot dog, a drink and sat in front of me.

"Where did you go?" I asked.

"I went to the washroom and then Junhyung shi asked me to join him for a while. Mianhae, you must have waited a long time." He apologized.

"I was getting hungry while waiting, so I wandered off. Sorry, you have to look around for me." I apologized back.

"So we're even?" He asked

"Even." I answered.

I noticed that his hair was a little messy, I reached out and fixed his hair. I didn't pay attention that he was staring at me, while I was fixing it.

"JaeMin ah, is there something on my hair?" He asked

I immediately froze. Finally realizing that I was touching his hair, I quickly pulled back and sat down.

"Aniya, I was just fixing it. Mianhae, that's was embarrassing." I said.

"No worries. Thanks for fixing it. I feel like a good running car now" He joked. "Hey, there's something that I want to show you." He said.

"Jjinja? Mwoyeyo?" I asked curiously

"It's a place where I find peace. It's only beautiful at night." He explained

"Am I the first to know where this is?" I asked

"No. But you're the first girl." He said

"Why do you want to share it with me?" I asked him again.

"Because when you like something so much, you just have to share it" He said it with a smile.

All I could reply to that was a smile. He took my empty paper cup and threw it in the rubbish bin. Yoseop picked up my backpack and took my hand and lead the way. I was shocked when he took my hand but yet I didn't refuse it. I actually liked it. Yoseop's hands were warm. It made me feel comfortable. It reminded me of someone.

When I was younger, every time when I was sad or angry, my dad would hold my hand and hugged me. My dad was my place of comfort. Since he passed 7 years ago, I didn't have anyone that I find comfort in. Although, I have my best friends but it's never the same. But when Yoseop held my hand, all the warm and fuzzy feeling came back. It made me wanted to lean on him.


Yoseop (POV)

I unconsciously held her hand, and bring her to a place I call my peaceful getaway. I was surprised that she didn't rejected me holding her hand, instead she was smiling at me. My heart was beating like crazy. I can't tell if she liked it or she was just shy about it or she thinks I'm crazy. I didn't want to let go of her hand, it felt right, it felt like my hand was meant to be there. But I had to let go, we were just friends, friends are not suppose to hold hands like couples do and she already found someone she likes.

I let go of her hand and continue walking in front of her. I turned around to see if she was walking behind me. But she didn't. She stood there and looked at me.

"Neol gwaenchana?" I asked

"Why did you suddenly let go?" she asked. Her expression was different from before.

"I wasn't suppose to hold it at the first place, sorry about that." I replied. "We're not a couple and you've already had a crush on Chansung sunbae. As a friend, I should respect that." I continued

She just kept quiet.

"C'mon. It's a long way up, stay close to me." I said to her.

She didn't answer. On our way up, she was in silence. 'Did she hated that I let go? or Did I say something wrong?' I thought to myself. It was making me insane not knowing what she was thinking.

A few minutes later, we'd arrived. 

"Close your eyes." I told her

I put my hands on her shoulder and brought her closer to the edge of the hill.

"Okay, you can open now." I said to her.

"Wah! Neomu yeppeoda, Seobbie ah." She said.

"This is the night view of the amusement park. It's breathtaking isn't it?" I asked her

"You come here every night?" She asked

"Only when something is bothering me." I answered

"Is something bothering you now?" She asked again

"Maybe..." I replied. "Just now, when I let go of your hand, were you mad at me?" I asked boldly

"Museun soliya? I was just surprised that's all." she replied

"You seem upset about it." I said

"It felt nice when you did that." She said

"Wait, what? You liked it?" I asked curiously

"Don't get me wrong. It just reminded me of my dad. I know it sounds weird but like this place, this is where you go to feel better. My dad was where I go to feel better. He was my remedy. No one ever made me feel like that ever since. But you, holding my hand tonight, gave me that same feeling when my dad was alive." She explained

"I can be your remedy if you want to. If you need someone to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or both if you want to, I'm here for you, arattji?" I told her

"Why are you so nice to me?" She asked.

"You're my partner and my friend." I replied. "You never pretend to be somebody else. You're honest about who you are. I can actually talk to you comfortably without being awkward. You put everyone else's needs first, before yours. It drive me crazy sometimes, watching you from behind." He continued.

"Gomasumida." Tears were filling up her eyes.

I wiped it off with my thumb and I gave her a hug. Our first hug, I thought to myself. As usual, my heartbeat was beating at an abnormal speed again. I didn't want this moment to end. 

"Cheonmannaeyo, pabo iya. Uljima." I said.

Even though, she had a crush on Chansung sunbae, she needed me by her side. Which was difficult for me, every little thing that she does, her smile, her laughter, the way she looks at me, made my heart run wild. I wanted to spend every minute that I have with her. I fell for her since the day I met her. Silly, I know. But it just happened, I can't control my feelings for her. Although, her heart wasn't mine, at least I could be her place of comfort. It was enough for me. Seeing her happy makes me happy.

We spent a while sitting on the hill looking out at the park. I peeked a glance at her every now and then. She turned and looked at me, I quickly looked to the front hoping she didn't notice that I was looking at her. She lightly hit my head.

"(chuckled) pabo." She said

"You noticed that?" I asked

"What about? You staring at me?" She said

I smiled at her. I saw her blushing, her cheeks went red. I wanted to be here with her as long as possible. But It was late, we decided to head back to the amusement park. I saw Chansung was sitting on the bench outside of the main entrance.

"There's your knight in shining armor." I said. "He must be waiting for you." I told her.

"I don't think so." She said.

Seeing Chansung made me uneasy. I wanted to give her a ride home, but I guess JaeMin will be happier to go with him instead.

 


JaeMin (POV)

I received a text from Miyong.

"Ya! JaeMin ah, eodineun geoni? Ulineun geogjeong haesseoyo!" Miyong texted

"Mianhae, Miyong ah! I'm with Yoseop shi. Are you heading home now?" I texted back

"Ye, Nichkhun shi took AeRa home. Dujun shi is giving me a ride back. Don't head home late. Showcase is tomorrow night! Khalkke!" Miyong replied.

"Arasseo. See you tomorrow." I texted.

As soon as I kept my handphone, Chansung stood up and walked towards my direction.

"You're not home yet?" He asked

"oh, deh. We were taking a walk." I replied.

"You need a ride home?" He asked again

"Ani, gwaenchana. Yoseop shi will send me home." I said hesitantly.

"It's okay, you can go with him. I'll see you tomorrow." Yoseop winked and gave back her backpack. "Goodnight." He said.

"Ga ja!" Chansung said.

Walking towards the car...

Walking with Chansung was different from Yoseop. Yoseop has so much warmth, he made me feel easy. Chansung on the other hand, made me feel awkward and nervous. I couldn't explained my feelings for Chansung, I thought I had a crush on him, but why was I feeling guilty for leaving Yoseop behind? Why did I feel that I must go back?

I grabbed Chansung's arm to stopped him from walking.

"Sunbae, joesonghabnida. I need to go back." I apologized.

"Waeyo?" He asked

"Thanks for the offer. But I'll just follow Yoseop shi tonight. Goodnight Sunbae. I'll see you tomorrow." I said

"Arasseo. Goodnight." He said and went in his car.

After Chansung left, I ran back to the park looking for Yoseop. I saw that he was walking towards his car. 

"FIRECRACKER!" I called out

He turned around to look for me. I waved at him and walked towards him.

"Wae eere?" He asked

"Can you please take me home, firecracker?" I asked

"What happened to your knight in shining armor?" He asked curiously

"I wanted to go back with my partner instead." I smiled at him.

He smiled back. A different kind of smile. He was happy to see me. He rubbed my head lightly and open the door to his car for me.

"Get in pabo" He said.

"Gomapda." I said and went in his car.

Was I falling for Yoseop? or was I feeling sorry for leaving him alone? All this feelings were new to me. All I know was that, it felt right to be sitting in his car, right next to him. No awkwardness, no nervousness. Just me being me, no pretending.

 


The next day...

All of them were gathering up at the auditorium for to check out the performance list. AeRa and Gikwang, JaeYoung and Minji, Hyunseung and his partner are performing their duet on the first day. Junhyung and Dujun's dance group will be performing on the second day. Miyong and Dujun, JaeMin and Yoseop, Dongwoon and his partner will be performing their duet on the last day. First day performance was tonight, AeRa, Gikwang, JaeYoung and Minji were preparing for rehearsals. While the other students sat back to watch other performances, and some still doing last minute practice. Every students had their game face on. 

2PM sunbaenim went up to practice their duets. All their juniors were paying close attention to their seniors, some were amazed, some were worried and some has confident written all over their faces. After that was AeRa and Gikwang's duet.

 


Gikwang (POV)

My palms started to sweat,  AeRa looked comfortable sitting on the piano preparing to play our song. After watching 2PM's rehearsal, made me a little nervous. I set up the microphone stand in front of me and I looked at AeRa, she smiled at me and It clamed me down a bit. I could see my members sitting in front of us, and 2PM were at the side of the stage watching our performance. 

AeRa gave me the signal to start the first verse. I felt that the auditorium was quiet, seniors were watching the first freshman to rehearse. I glanced at AeRa, she was cool as ever, there wasn't any sign of nervousness. I started singing, I mute my surrounding, only focusing on stage. Even though it was just a rehearsal, it was still nerve racking.

 We stopped at 'till the mid way of the song. AeRa stood up and ran straight to Nichkhun's embrace. I was disappointed that my partner didn't even looked at me after the rehearsal. I saw my members were giving me a standing ovation, I went down the stage and thanked them.

"Ya, gomawoyo" I said to the members

"Gikwang ah, it sounded good!" Dujun said

"Neol wae eere? You were good!" Dongwoon asked

"Mianhae, I don't feel so good." I replied

"YA! Gwaenchana?!" Yoseob asked

I wasn't in the mood to be in there anymore. I couldn't understand why was I feeling this way, but I wanted to be alone. I heard running footsteps following me, I turn around to see who it was. It was AeRa. I wanted to give her a piece of my mind, but she was in her usual bubbly self as if nothing went wrong. 

"Gikwang ah! Where are you going?" She asked

"You don't need to know." I kept walking

"YA! LEE GIKWANG! Why are you ignoring me?" AeRa's voice in the distant.

I just kept walking until I couldn't hear her voice anymore. I stood in front of the academy's entrance, it was cloudy with a slight drizzle. I put my cap on, just as I was about to step out, someone pulled my backpack.

"Gikwang goon, I'm not gonna let you go until I get an explanation. Why are you ignoring me?" She asked

Her expression was worried. Her bubbliness was not there anymore.

"Why are you here? Nichkhun must be looking for you..." I said

"Can't you answer my question?" She asked again. "I don't understand what's wrong." She said

"Of course, you didn't notice your duet partner rehearsing with you, and you running straight to your boyfriend, without even a smile for your partner." I blurted out.

"Mwo? Aigoo, mianhae Gikwang ah. I was just so happy that the rehearsal went well, and Nichkhun was cheering for me so I just automatically ran towards him. Joesonghabnida." She explained

"I just wanted a little thumbs up, smile or whatever from you, a little hint that rehearsal went well, but you just left me there. You know what, it's not your fault anyway, just forget about it. Good job by the way." I saw Nichkhun walking towards us. "You better go, prince charming is calling." I walked away

"Jamkkanman!" She pulled my hand "It was a great rehearsal, jalhaesso. Don't think for a second that I've forgotten about my partner. Arattji?" She said.

"Agi ah!" Nichkhun called her.

"Gidaryeo! I'll meet you inside." She told Nichkhun. Nichkhun went in back to the auditorium

"You should go." I told her

"Jebal gajima. Come back in. JaeYoung oppa is up soon. Please stay." She gave me that puppy eyes of hers. 

I didn't say anything. She just pulled my hand and dragged me in.

 


 

Inside the auditorium, it was another duet rehearsal by the juniors. Gikwang sat next to Dujun, who was concentrating watching whoever was rehearsing on stage. Yoseob was sitting next to Junhyung who was busy with his phone. Dongwoon and Hyunseung were talking amongst themselves. JaeYoung and Minji were preparing beside the stage. JaeYoung was nervous. His hands were on his chest trying to calm himself down. Minji on the other was calm and ready. 

They went up on stage after the last couple. Everyone in the auditorium were paying full attention to them. B2ST members even moved to the front row to watch closer. JaeMin, Miyong and AeRa followed them too. All of them were nervous for JaeYoung. JaeYoung looked down at where his best friends were sitting, JaeMin, Miyong and AeRa mouthed out the words 'Oppa, hwaiting!' to him.

He put on his head mic and take his position, then came the music. JaeYoung and Minji both dance to the intro of the song, the first verse was sung by JaeYoung. When he started to sing, B2ST members were surprised. They never knew that he could sing. JaeYoung was full of charisma, it was like he owns the stage. After the chorus, was Minji's turn. Minji did acrobatic moves and sang at the same time. They were synchronized. Almost like gravity. Wherever Minji is, JaeYoung is focused on her, only moving together with her. They looked like they've been practicing for ages.

After the second chorus, they ended their rehearsal. As soon as the music stop, everyone in the auditorium were clapping and cheering for them. B2ST members were standing on the chair shouting out JaeYoung and Minji's name. Both of them were surprised by their reaction. They didn't expect for any reaction because they had a limited time to practice compare to the others. They both went down from the stage.

JaeMin, Miyong and AeRa ran towards their direction and hugged the both of them.

"YA! You guys were great!" said AeRa. Who was jumping up and down hugging both of them.

"Oppa, jjinja daebak!" JaeMin said "Minji ah, you were daebak too!" She continued.

"We should've recorded your first rehearsal debut, oppa.You didn't look nervous at all" Miyong told JaeYoung.

"Are you kidding me?! My heart was pumping like crazy!" JaeYoung said

"JaeYoung ah, neol jjinja, you fooled us!...I was standing on my feet the whole time. I can't wait to watch to whole performance tonight! . Jalhaesseo!" Patted JaeYoung and Minji's back.

"Gomawoyo." Minji said. "We both didn't expected this. Jeongmal kamsahabnida" she added.

"Minji shi, you're definitely the one the watch." Hyunseung said

"Gomasumida sunbaenim." Minji said.

"Minji shi, people are going to talk about your performance. It's still replaying in my head." JaeMin told Minji. Who was wiping the sweat off her forehead.

"Chughae!" Yoseob said

"Ya! What are you congratulating about? That was just rehearsal" Junhyung asked Yoseob

"Ara ara, but it was a hell of a rehearsal. Jjinja moshiseoyo!" Yoseob said. "Good luck to both of you tonight!" He wishes them.

"Gomapda, uri chinguya!" JaeYoung said. "AeRa ah, you and Gikwang sounded great. It sounded like a totally different song. Only better." He continued

"Jjinja?...Kamsahabnida." AeRa said.

After the rehearsals, they went home early to prepare for the showcase tonight. JaeYoung and Minji stayed back to prepare for the showcase. They had their costume ready backstage. AeRa insisted that Gikwang to follow her home to practice before the real performance, which was tonight.

 


AeRa (POV)

Gikwang was pretty mad at me, for abandoning him on stage earlier on. During the short rehearsal, all I saw was Nichkhun. He was standing right in front of the stage, I couldn't help but to look at him. He was smiling the whole time when I was singing. After the rehearsal, I quickly ran down the stage to give him a hug. 

I insisted that Gikwang to come home with me. I wanted to practice with him. We were in silence on the ride home, he didn't even wanted to look at me. I started to feel uncomfortable. I took off his headphones.

"Gikwang goon, jeongmal joesonghabnida. How long are you going to be like this?" I apologized again.

He took the headphones from my hand and plugged back in to his ear. I stubbornly took it off again, although I know that he will probably scream at me but it's better than him not talking to me.

"YA!! NEOL JJINJA WAE EERE?!" I yelled

I was the one screaming instead of him. He just looked at me. I couldn't read his expression. He seem pissed but curious at the same time. I was getting frustrated. Just as I was about to pull out his headphones...

"I'm fine okay. Gwaenchanhayo. I just want to listen to my song. So, jebal don't pull it out again." He said

"Jjinjayo? You're not mad at me anymore?" I asked him

" Just don't do that again. Arattji?" He asked

"Ye, arasseoyo! Yaksogkhae." I smiled at him.

He didn't smile back, but his expression looked relaxed. I was relieved. I couldn't stand another minute of my partner being grumpy. I hugged him. He didn't resist it, I look up to see his face and he smiled a little.

"Gikwang ah, mianhae." I whispered in his ear.

He lightly rubbed my head.

"Arasseo." He said

My stomach started grumbling loudly. All of a sudden a loud laughter filled the car. It was Gikwang laughing at me. 'Nice, here I am dying of embarrassment, here he is laughing his out.' I thought to myself.

"Aigoo, jjinja baegopayo! Ya! Stop laughing!" I hit his arm

"You're too funny!" He continued to laugh

"Finally, you laughed. I was so frustrated with your sour face." I said

"Hey, let's stop here to eat. I'm getting hungry too. My treat" He said

"Jeongmallyo? Wah, gomawo uri partner." I thanked him

I told the driver to stop. It was a small noodle shop at the side of the road, I've passed by this place many times, but never once tried it. The shop was full of customers. Gikwang found a small table, just enough to fit the both of us.

"The noodles here are awesome! I'll order for you." He said

He ordered for the both of us. Not too long, the noodles came. It was fast. I ate it straight away. It was the tastiest noodles I've ever eaten. I was too hungry, I finished my noodles before Gikwang finished his. 

"Wow, you must be really hungry. Didn't you have any breakfast? He asked

"Ani, I woke up late this morning and totally forgotten about breakfast." I explained. "Can I have another bowl please?" I asked

"Arasseo. Gidaryeo.". He went off to order another bowl of noodles.

Spending time with Gikwang was totally different. It was nice, seating here in a crowded noodle shop with Gikwang, where people literally don't look where they walked and elbowed your head or kicked your chair. I didn't have to put on make up or dress up pretty. He didn't mind that I'm wearing my sweat suit with my glasses on. It felt normal. Nichkhun on the other hand, wouldn't come to places like this, I always have to make myself look as good as him. He was too good looking. Perfect smile and perfect build. 

Gikwang came with a bigger bowl of noodles. Which made me laughed. The customers at the next table was staring at me.

"There you go. Eat well." He placed the noodles in front of me.

"Ige mwoya?" I asked him

"I was afraid that I wouldn't be enough, so I ordered a bigger bowl." He said

"Gomawoyo. Jal mwogosumida!" I said

I continued to eat. I noticed that Gikwang was looking at me.

"Waeyo?" I asked

"Don't skip breakfast again, arattji?" He said.

"Arasseoyo." I continued to eat my noodles. I finished it until the bowl was empty.

Gikwang just sat there and smiled at me. 

"Ahhhhhh...Neomu mashiseoyo!" Rubbing my full stomach.

"You're full?" He asked

"Ye, kamsahabnida." I said

He went to pay for the noodles, and we went straight home to get ready for the showcase. During the ride to my home, thoughts were running through my head. Those thoughts were all about Gikwang. I shouldn't be thinking about another guy, when I'm already dating Nichkhun. But I couldn't help it. I hated that Gikwang was mad at me, I hated myself for making him angry, I hated that he ignored me and I definitely hated that girls were flirting with him. Am I being selfish? Am I being greedy? I knocked my head a couple of times, to stop myself from thinking about him. What if Nichkhun found out? I can't do this to him.

All I need to do is to focused on putting an awesome performance tonight. "AeRa ya, Hwaiting!!" I said to myself. 

 


 

How was chapter 10? Sorry that It took so long...I was gathering up some ideas. Anyways, please give me a comment about the chapter.

Thanks!