Chapter 5: Discovering

THE HEART NEVER LIES [ON HIATUS]

Discovering

AeRa's POV

Today was second day at SMA, I came to Academy early this morning. I was walking the main hallway of SMA, where the students lockers were located. My locker was next to the bulletin board. I saw a notice directed to all freshmen, the academy required each students to join a sport. I've always been a good runner, I used to compete back in Junior High. I immediately signed up for the track team. I was also curious of what sport will JaeMin and Miyong shi will choose.

The atmosphere around was quiet. I was the only one in the academy, except for the janitors who were moping the floors. I've always prefer to practice on my own, even though I have my own dancing studio back at home, but it doesn't feel the same. I put on my earphones and clipped my iPod to my sweat pants and started free styling to Ne-Yo's Beautiful Monster. While I was dancing, someone came in the studio. I couldn't tell who it was the cap was covering the face, but I knew it was a guy. I took out my earphones.

"Annyeonghaseyo, may I know who are you?" I asked the guy.

"You're using my favorite dance studio." the guy said. Still not showing his face. What a weirdo, I thought to myself.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you were going to use it." I apologized to him.

He then lifted up his head and took off his cap. It was Nichkhun shi from 2PM. I was so surprised that I just stood there, speechless.

"AeRa shi, nice to meet you again. What are you doing here early in the morning?" Nichkhun asked

"........ermmmm....I....errr.....was...." I stuttered. Nice, that was embarrassing.

"Are you practicing too?" He asked again.

I nodded. I couldn't speak. I might embarrassed myself even more if I do so.

"That's cool, since you're cute, I don't mind sharing the dance studio with you."  He said to me.

"I'll find another place to practice." I grabbed my backpack.

"No! Gwaenchana. You were here first today. Let's forget practice and chat for a bit." He suggested.

"You want to chat with me?" I asked. "Pabo! There's no one around but you!" I said to myself. "I mean, sure, let's chat." I continued.

I put down my backpack and so does Nichkhun shi. He sat in front of me. I didn't know how to react around him. He was smiling at me. He seems to be comfortable around me, but I clearly wasn't. Here I am, sitting down next to a gorgeous guy from 2PM, sparkling eyes and the brightest smile I've ever seen. Plus he wants to hang out with me this morning.

I couldn't even looked him straight in the eye, I was shy. I am a bubbly person, but Nichkhun shi managed tame me down effortlessly.

"Are you okay? You look a little pale" He asked

"Yeah" That's all I can managed to say out. How can I not be pale, when there's a good looking guy talking to me?!

"I always come in the morning to practice too, it's quiet and peaceful. Are you excited for the upcoming showcase?" He asked me.

"I'm nervous about it." I replied.

"Once you've get used to the stage, it's nothing to be nervous about." He told me.

Suddenly my phone started ringing, what a great timing. I took it out from my backpack, it was JaeMin shi.

 


 

AeRa took her phone and went outside of the studio to answer it.

AeRa: Yeoboseyo? JaeMin ah?

JaeMin: Ya! Where are you?

AeRa: I'm at the academy. Waeyo?

JaeMin: Ani, Miyong and I went to your house, but your housekeeper said you lefted early. Are you practicing on your own again?

AeRa: Ye. Where are you guys now?

JaeMin: JaeYoung oppa came and fetch us today. We're almost there.

AeRa: Oh Arasseo. I'll wait for you guys at the front gates.

JaeMin: Geurae. See you.

AeRa kept her phone in her pocket and went back in the studio to take her backpack.

"I'm sorry, I have to go meet my friends, see you around!" AeRa said to Nichkhun and left the studio.

AeRa quickly ran out and headed straight to the front gates. 

"Yaaaa...AeRa ah, jjinja pabo ya! How could you just leave like that?! Aigoo" AeRa said to herself while walking. "If you keep doing that,  he might think you're avoiding him!" she said to herself. The janitors were looking at her and thought that she was crazy. "Can't you just act a little natural? Geez! What is wrong with you?!" She continued talking to herself until she reached the front gates.

AeRa found a bench and sat on it. Thoughts were going through her mind as she waited for her friends to arrive. She saw Gikwang came in.

"Good Morning Gikwang shi." She greeted him

"Good Morning" He greeted back and went straight in.

"Do you have to be so obvious about disliking me?" She said to herself.

 


Miyong's POV

JaeYoung oppa offered us a ride to the academy since it's on the way. JaeYoung oppa was driving his Navy Blue BMW X6 that he'd gotten as a birthday present from his parents last year.

"Oppa, you car is a year old and it still smells new." I said to him.

"Of course! This is my baby!" He replied.

"I wonder how long will that last" I .

"Probably another 2 more months" JaeMin finally stopped playing her game.

"Wae? You guys don't believe me?I'm scared to drive it sometimes." Defending himself.

"You can always give it to me." JaeMin said.

"You wish!" He yelled. "Change of subject, what's with you and Yoseop shi by the way? I've known the guy for a year now, and I've never seen him acted that way with any girl" He asked

"Me? museun soliya (what are you talking about)?" JaeMin was blushing.

"He seems to like you" I said to her.

"What?! ANIYA! I just think he is nice, plus he is my partner for the dance and the duet. Ms.Shim said chemistry is important." JaeMin said shyly.

"Right, there more than chemistry going on." JaeYoung .

JaeMin didn't reply JaeYoung oppa, but I could see that she was shy. JaeMin never fell for anyone, a mild crush here and there but never dated anybody, never had a real relationship like JaeYoung oppa. Maybe this was another mild crush of hers or not. I didn't want to be a busybody, unless she wants to tell me.

I suddenly thought about my duet with Dujun shi. I already had a song in mind, but I'm not sure what my partner would think about the song. I wanted to give a good performance, since I haven't even seen Dujun shi perform before I was a bit nervous. But I guess they aren't B2ST if they're not good.

We've reached the front gate of SMA. I saw AeRa was sitting at the bench talking to herself like a crazy person. There must be something bothering her, I wonder to myself. I grabbed my backpack and meet up with her.

 


     

"Ya! Why are you talking to yourself?" Miyong asked AeRa, who's still hasn't snap out of what had happened earlier on.

"YA! Dongsaeng! Waeyo?!" JaeYoung lightly pushed her.

"You won't believe what just happened to me this morning."AeRa finally said something.

"What about?" JaeMin asked.

AeRa explained the whole situation about her and Nichkhun at the dancing studio.

"JJINJA?! NICHKHUN SUNBAE?!" JaeYoung shouted.

"Shhhhhhhh! You don't have to yell!" JaeMin hit JaeYoung's arm.

"Aigoo! Mianhae. AeRa ah, Nichkhun shi talked to you? Why?" JaeYoung asked

"I don't know, you go ask him." She replied. 

"He doesn't talk to girls that he don't like. Maybe he is hitting on you." JaeYoung explained to AeRa

"AeRa ah, he did say hi to you in the class yesterday" JaeMin said.

"Better watch yourself, he is a player, you might get hurt." JaeYoung adviced AeRa about Nichkhun.

"Really? He doesn't seem like a player..." AeRa said. 

"Let's just go to our lockers and keep our stuff first. It's getting cold out here, It might rain." Miyong stood up and walked towards the SMA hallway.

The weather all of a sudden were gloomy and windy. True enough, it started to rain. Heavily. All of the students ran as fast as they can inside the academy. 

JaeMin, JaeYoung, Miyong and AeRa made it in the academy just in the nick of time. B2ST members were behind them except Gikwang, who came earlier than them. They were all wet because of the rain, they quickly wipe themselves of.

"How did you know it was going to rain?" AeRa asked Miyong.

"I just guessed it.I didn't know that it was going to rain now." Miyong replied.

"Phew, thank God we didn't get wet." JaeMin said.

"CHINGUYA!!!!" 

All of them turned around and saw that it was Yoseop. JaeYoung, JaeMin and AeRa waved back. Yoseop was panting when he catched up on us.

"Huuuuu! Good morning guys!" panting Yoseop greeted everyone.

"Good morning, are you okay, yoseop shi? JaeMin asked

"I'm fine, got a little wet because of the rain." Yoseop said

 

 


 

Yoseop's POV

Today was the second day I met her again. My duet partner. She stood in front of me, asking me if I was okay. "Why did I have to run?" I thought to myself.  I don't know why that we keep ended up together as a group. The Gods must be watching us, I wondered. Everytime I see JaeMin shi, my heart beats a little faster than usual. I couldn't explain why was I feeling this way. I never felt this way before.

I haven't thought about what song was I going to sing with her. I was going to let her picked it out. She's smiling at me now, the kind of smile that I like. The smile that I saw yesterday, when we first met at the dancing studio. A sweet smile.

"You're all wet" She said to me.

"I know, who knew it would rain that hard.You didn't get wet?" I said while wiping myself of.

"I'm fine, we came in just in time." She answered. "You want to meet up after class today? Since we only have vocal class today. We can talk about our duet" She asked.

"Yeah sure. No problem. The other member wants to meet up with their duet partner today too." I replied her.

"Mianhae, JaeMin shi, did you asked your manager about your work schedule?" Junhyung interrupted us.

"I did, he said he can allow Saturday and Sunday off for both of us." She said to Junhyung.

"Asa! Okay, we will talk about the schedule tomorrow. Because today is duet discussion day." Junhyung told her. "Yay for me" Junhyung said sarcastically. He didn't like his partner, Hyun Ae shi very much.

"(chuckled) Arasseo leader." She replied to him.

I was staring at her again. While she was talking to Junhyung. Her face just lits up everytime she smiles. She always tied up her hair in a ponytail. I wonder if she ever let her hair down. My heart was doing a somersault again after she asked me to meet up later. I was so excited than I can't even think straight.

"Yoseop shi?" She called. Snapping her fingers in front of my face.

"Huh? Yeah?" Snapping out from my thoughts

"(laughed) Were you daydreaming?" She asked

"(l laughed back) Something like that." I said to her. I couldn't look at her in the eye. I was too shy to do so, so did she.

"Gyeowo." She said softly. "Did I just said that out loud?" Embarrassed about her comment. Her face when red. She covered her face with her hand.

"(chuckled) I'll pretend I didn't hear that" I answered. Does she like me? I can't really tell. Just because a girl said that you were cute doesn't mean that she likes you, I said to myself.

"The freshmens are getting their uniforms today." I told her.

"(she made a sad face)...Bye bye casual clothes." JaeMin was waving at the clothes she was wearing.

She's so cute, I thought to myself. "Now you can blend in the crowd. Let's get to class, Ms.Shim hates it if were late." I said while walking to the vocal class.

 


 

They all went to class together. Most of the students were already there. 2PM members were talking at the back, Hyun Ae was joining them too. She was seating beside Taecyeon. 2PM seem to be fine with her being there. They found some seat by the window, and sat down right away. B2ST members started talking among themselves. AeRa spotted EunHee was sitting by herself.

"EunHee shi! Come and sit with us!" AeRa called her.

EunHee shi stood up and sat beside AeRa.

"Good Morning" AeRa greeted her.

"Good Morning, It was awkward sitting there by myself." She said to AeRa

"You can always join us too, we're in the same dance group anyway." AeRa smiled at her.

"Kamsahabnida AeRa shi." She thanked her.

Ms.Shim came in the class, she greeted the class. She conitnued teaching the class basic notes and asked everyone to identify the note that she plays on the piano. She then plays a note and requested that each student to sing that note with proper breathing techniques. Each student came up and stood next to the piano. Some students did good, some students needs more practice. 

As time went by, It was almost the end of the class, Ms.Shim reminded the class about the showcase. 

"Don't forget about the duet for the showcase, please pick a song that compliments both you and your partner's voice. Understand your partner's strength and weaknesses will help you out on the duet. Please pick your song well and let me know by tomorrow. That's all for today, thank you". She said left the classroom

 


"Have you guys seen the notice on the bulletin board just now?" AeRa asked

"No. Why?" Miyong asked.

"It said that, freshmens are required to join a sport. I've already signed up for the track team." AeRa said

"I might go for swimming or volley ball." JaeMin said. "Did it say when is the last day?" JaeMin asked

"Today" AeRa busy checking herself on the mirror.

"JaeMin ah, I'll join the volleyball team with you." Miyong said.

"I'm not sure which on to pick." JaeMin replied.

"It's ok, I'll just join the volleyball team. You can decide later." Miyong said 

"I love both sports." JaeMin said

"But I think you're swimming is better." AeRa said.

"Okay then, I'll just join the swimming team." JaeMin replied.

"Yay! At least all of us have different sports, its easier to cheer for. If you and Miyong are in the same sport, I don't know who to cheer for." AeRa stood up, grab her bag. "Let's go eat, baegopa" Rubbing her tummy.

"Before that, we need to go get our uniforms first." Miyong said.

All of them went out of the class and looked for JaeYoung oppa. JaeYoung was already at the lockers waiting for them. 

 


JaeYoung(POV)

Nothing special happened in musical class today. Except for ShinNa shi, who still asking me to tutor her, after I've already refused her the hundreth time. I was leaning my back against the locker, while waiting for my friends to come out. A girl was standing at the locker beside mine, trying to open her locker. She had a bob hairdo. Ashy brown hair. I've never seen her around.

"You need help with that?" I asked her.

"Why is this not opening?" This is the key for this locker" She said ignoring me completely.

"Here, let me do it. There a way to it." I gave the locker a couple of bang and unlocked it for her. "Here you go" I gave her back her keys.

"Thanks" She thanked me.

"I've never seen you around before...You're new here?" I was curious

"Yeah, I couldn't make it yesterday, I just arrived last night from America. My flight got delayed" She replied him.

"I see. What's your major?" I asked her

"Dancing ang singing." She answered.

"Vocal class already ended today." I told her

"I know, I just came here to get my schedule." She said. Totally have no interest in me.

"I'm Yoon JaeYoung by the way, i'm a sophomore. Majoring in dancing and musical instrument." I introduced myself

"Annyeonghaseyo sunbae, Gong minji ibnida." She introduced herself to me.

"You want to join my friends and I for lunch at the cafeteria?" I asked.

"Not today, I have to get home and unpacked again. But thanks for asking, maybe tomorrow." She was keeping her books in the locker. "I gotta go, see you around sunbae!" Carrying her uniform with her and walked away.

I find her interesting. I was talking to her the whole time but she didn't even looked up at me, only when she introduced herself just now. She seems different from the rest of the girls in SMA.

I saw JaeMin and Miyong from a distance coming my way.

 


 

"Oppa, who were you talking to?" AeRa asked

"A new freshmen." JaeYoung answered.

"Never seen her before." AeRa said while keeping her things in the locker.

"Me neither, her name is Gong Minji." JaeYoung replied.

While AeRa was taking out her note books from her backpack, it slipped from her fingers causing all her books fell on the floor. 

"Clumsy me!" Bend down and picked up her note books.

Someone bended down beside her, helping her. She could see it was a guy's hand. She looked up and saw that it was Gikwang. She was surprised, because she thought Gikwang didn't like her, but here he was helping her picking up all her books from the floor. JaeMin, Miyong and JaeYoung were looking from afar, didn't want to interrupt them.

"Thanks Gikwang shi. Thanks for helping." AeRa thanked him

"So, are we meeting up later?" Gikwang asked.

"For what?" AeRa was clueless.

"The Duet, almighty princess." Gikwang answered. AeRa was stunned listening to Gikwang calling her an almighty princess.

"Ahhh..duet. Okay. Where?" AeRa still surprised that Gikwang was talking to her nicely. Not that she's complaining but it was different.

"We can't do it at the academy. I want it to be a closed practice." Gikwang told her.

"You want to practice at my place?" AeRa was nervous asking him. Not sure why.

Gikwang didn't like the idea of practicing at AeRa's place, but he had no choice. He couldn't practice in the academy, because there bound to be interrupted by other groups. 

"Yeah, whatever." Gikwang said.

"Cool. My driver will come at picked me up later and then you come along." AeRa offered him a ride.

"Ok. I'm heading to the cafeteria." He turned around and walked away

"Alright, see you there." AeRa yelled.

AeRa locked up her locker and meet up with Jaemin, Miyong and JaeYoung.

"Ya! What was that all about?" JaeMin asked

"I'm still not sure." AeRa was still replaying the conversation she had with Gikwang.

"Did you dropped your books on purpose?" JaeYoung nudging her with his elbow.

"As if I enjoy dropping my books on the floor. Can we just go to the cafeteria? I'm so hungry, I can eat a whole chicken." AeRa said.

 


Gikwang's Pov

I didn't like the idea of going to AeRa's house. But for the sake of the showcase, I'll have to endure it. I know that she knows that I can't stand people like her, I'm sure JaeYoung shi told her since they're so close. At least she wasn't rude like some other rich kid. She was the opposite.

I was walking to the cafeteria with the rest of B2ST member. Yoseop and I were walking ahead of the rest. I noticed Yoseop was smiling on his own.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked him. 

"She said I was cute." He smiled.

"Who?" I asked. I was curious, obviously it was a girl. I never seen him acted this way. But who talked to him today?I didn't see him talking to any girl during class just now, I thought to myself. Then I remembered seeing him talking to JaeMin this morning before class. "It's JaeMin shi wasn't it?"

He immediately stop walking and looked at me.

"How did you know?" Yoseop asking curiously

"She was the only girl that spoke to you today. Not even Miyong and AeRa shi talked to you." I said.

"It could be a guy that said it." Yoseop not admitting to my question.

"So, you're saying that, you're happy that some guy said you were cute? i didn't know you had interest in men." I . He didn't want to tell me. But I already knew that it was JaeMin shi. He was never the one to express his feelings unless he was sure about it.

"I'm not telling." He started walking ahead of me and went in the cafeteria.

They all arrived at the same time. They lined up to get their food from the counter and sat at B2ST usual table. It was like an automatic reaction when they were seating down at the table.  It was the same seating position the first day they met. From left to right, Junhyung, Yoseop, Jaemin, Miyong and Dujun. The opposite site was. Dongwoon, Gikwang, Hyunseung, JaeYoung and AeRa. Everyone was busy talking about where to practice for the duet.

 


JaeMin's POV

I like the fact that I have friends to hang out with in SMA. I have 10 of them at the cafeteria table. We were the loudest. B2ST members were friendly to us. I was assuming that JaeYoung oppa would be our only friend, like we did before, just the four of us.

Yoseop was seating beside me as usual, he was laughing along to Hyunseung's jokes. I was really comfortable around Yoseop compared to the others. He was the one that talked to me the most.

I was excited about singing a duet with him. I fell in love with his voice when I first heard it yesterday. It has a soft and tender tone to his voice. Almost like a lullaby. But his range was better than mine, I was getting nervous at the thought of it. My insecurities were bothering me again. What if I couldn't get up on the stage to sing with him? What if I wasn't good enough? All of these thought ran through my head. I didn't even noticed that Yoseop was nudging me.

 

"JaeMin shi!" Yoseop was patting my shoulder calling out my name probably for the third time. I was finally back in my zone.

" Y-yeah? Sorry, I was daydreaming this time." I smiled at him.

"See, daydreaming is addictive." He said

"(chuckled) What did you wanted to talk about?" I asked

"Oh, its about our duet. Where should we practice? I heard that Miyong and Dujun were thinking of practicing at your work place." He stood up and changed his seating position, now he is facing me. He rested his head on his plam. "Ahhh...This is more comfortable" He continued.

"We can practice at the academy and then after that we can also go to my workplace, if you don't mind" I suggested.

"I don't mind. I'm just excited for this duet." He squinted his eyes and smile at me. He was cute, child-like cute, I wanted to pinch him but I restraint myself. 

"Me too. But I think you're gonna be better than me." I said 

"Nah,  geogjeonghaji maseyo. We will helped each other." He assured me.

"Kamsahamnida, Sunbaenim." I thanked him.

"Sunbaenim? Me? Aigoo, cheonmaneyo." He did a little bow.

"I have to signed up for the swimming team later." I told him

"Jjinjaro? Youre good at swimming?" He asked

"I used to compete." I answered.

"Wah daebak! I'm in the track team with Gikwangie." He told to me.

"Wooo, moda Yoseop shi! I'll come cheer for you." I said.

"Jeongmallyo? ASA!" He smiled 


 

Yoseop and JaeMin were in their own little bubble of conversation the whole time. They didn't even care who was around them.

After the meal, they were separated for practice. Miyong and Dujun headed straight to Miyong's workplace to discussed and practice. AeRa and Gikwang left with her driver to discussed at her house. JaeYoung went to his musical instrument class. Yoseop and JaeMin headed to find an empty classroom.

Dujun offered Miyong a ride. He was driving a black truck. Miyong put her backpack on her lap. 

 

 

 


 

 

Tell me how chapter 5 went. Was it good, lame, fun or exciting. Please give me a comment or advice to help me improve to wirte better fanfics.

Thanks For Reading!