Chapter 7: Checking out the competition

THE HEART NEVER LIES [ON HIATUS]

Chapter 7: Checking out the competition

Today was the day that the vocal students give a preview of their duet to Ms.Shim. Most of the students were already in the class practicing. Some were eavesdropping the other group, wondering what song are they singing, some were memorizing lyrics and some just sat and talk with their friends. B2ST members arrived early too, they already started practicing. JaeMin and Miyong came with AeRa, as soon as they reach the class, they quickly took out their lyrics and sat with their partners.

"I'm so nervous!" JaeMin said, putting her hand on her chest.

"JaeMin ah, If it helps, just look at anyone in the classroom that makes you comfortable." Yoseop said.

"You can look at me." Dujun joked

"Or me!" AeRa hitting Dujun's arm.

The girls and B2ST members are all comfortable with each other. Which made Hyun Ae jealous. She was sitting beside Junhyung, memorizing the music to their song. Junhyung didn't even once talked to her, he ignored her the whole time. 

"Ya! YONG JUNHYUNG SHI!  Are you just goin to sit there and ignore me?" Hyun Ae asked Junhyung

"Yes." Junhyung said bluntly.

"Why?! We're suppose to duet together" She said

"I'll duet with you, but it doesn't mean we have to be all buddy-buddy." Junhyung said to her coldly.

"Hyung, be nice to her!" Dongwoon said to Junhyung

"Why should I? She was screaming at the whole time yesterday." Junhyung said.

Hyun Ae overheard and said "Whatever, you better don't spoil my performance, or you're dead!"

"I'm not the one you should worry about." Junhyung said to her.

But Junhyung knew that Hyun Ae was a good singer. He wasn't worried at all. He was just annoyed at her attitude. Gikwang and AeRa were sitting together practicing, and Miyong helped Dujun with his rap part of the song while JaeMin and Yoseop were memorizing their parts. 

"JaeMin ah, museowo?" Yoseop asked worried about JaeMin.

"A little bit." JaeMin said.

"If you're scared, just looked at me okay...Ignore everything around you. It's just me and you singing."Yoseop told her.

"Arasseo" JaeMin replied.

Ms.Shim walked in the class. The class greeted her and sat down.

"I hope you guys are prepared for the preview. Before that, I want to introduced to you a new freshmen. Her name is Gong Minji. She will seat this preview performance out, until I can find her a partner. Since we have a lot of couples coming up to sing, let wait no further. First duet, Miyong and Dujun shi!" She called out their names.

They handed their iPod to Junhyung who was sitting beside the speaker to plugged in. Once the song was on. Miyong started singing. The room was quiet. After the first verse come Dujun's rap. They only did the first half of the song, since it's only a preview. 

"Kamsahamnida" They both thanked the class for the applause.

"You both compliment each other well. Miyong shi, your emotions were good. Good job. Dujun shi, you need to practice more on the rapping, arratji? Ms.Shim adviced Dujun

"Arasseo, Ms.Shim. Kamsahamnida" Dujun and Miyong returned back to their seats.

"That's a good start. Next, Junhyung and Hyun Ae shi. Please come up." Ms.Shim said.

Junhyung immediately plugged in his iPod and fast forward the song to the mid part. Hyun Ae started singing and then Junhyung joined her. They were good. Even they didn't get to practice yesterday, but both of them catched the melody fast. The class were enjoying their performance and applauded them.

"Hyun Ae and Junhyung shi, that sounded amazing. Try to be more in sync with each other. I still see some awkwardness between the both of you."Ms.Shim complimented them and called the next couple. Which is AeRa and Gikwang.

AeRa was playing the piano while Gikwang stood beside her and sing. They sang the first half of the song. Gikwang was watching AeRa the whole time when they were performing. But AeRa didn't noticed it. The class applauded them.

"AeRa shi, you can play the piano well. The both of you need to sing a little louder, it was a little soft, but other than that, it was beautiful" Ms.Shim gave them her critics.

"Kamsahamnida, Shim seonsaengnim." They both bowed at Ms.Shim and went back to their seats.

JaeMin was getting more and more nervous after watching her friends performed. Ms.Shim called out the other couples one by one up. Dongwoon and EunHee played the piano and sang, which impressed Ms.Shim a lot. Hyunseung and Junior Chae YuNi did a ballad. Some of the students need more vocal practice and some need to learn the melody correctly.

"I'm impressed by some of you today, although it was a short time, but you performed well. Okay, we have one more couple. Please come up." Ms.Shim was referring to JaeMin and Yoseop.

Yoseop walked to the back of the class. JaeMin was surprised and didn't know what to do. Then Yoseop mouthed the word to JaeMin and said "Namanbarabwa". JaeMin nodded

"No music?" Ms.Shim asked.

"Just acapella, Ms.Shim" Yoseop answered her.

Yoseop started singing and all eyes were on him. He sang the last bridge of the song. He was walking towards JaeMin. And then it was JaeMin's part, Yoseop was standing in front of her this time, JaeMin wasn't as nervous as she thought she would be. Yoseop hold her hand and they sang the chorus together. It was like Yoseop planned this whole thing a long time ago. They look like a real couple. The last verse ended by JaeMin. The class applauded them.
"Did you guys known each other for a long time already?" Ms.Shim asked curiously.
 
"No." JaeMin answered.
 
"Is something going on between you guys?" She asked again
 
"Ani!" They both answered the same time. Which made Ms.Shim and the class laughed.
 
"You both were entertaining. I like that you've thought about your performance. Keep up the good work." Ms. Shim complimented them.
JaeMin and Yoseop returned back to their seats.
"Thank you." JaeMin said to Yoseop
 
"For what?" he asked
 
"For helping me not get too nervous." she said.
 
"No problem." He replied.
Ms.Shim told the students to practice on their own, while she calls up each couple to help them with their vocals. 
 
Right after the last couple was done, the bells ring. 
 
"Practice hard everyone. You have any questions about the showcase, please come find me at the office. Thank You." Ms.Shim walked out of the class.
 
The students started packing their backpack to go for lunch. Some stayed at the class, reviewing all the performances they just saw. B2ST member were already out of the classrooms, leaving the girls behind.
 
Miyong was waiting for them at the entrance of the class. JaeYoung oppa meet up with her. Minji walked up to Miyong.
"Miyong shi, I like your preview." Minji said to her
 
"Kamsahamnida, Minji shi" Miyong replied.
 

JaeYoung's POV

It was the locker girl again. She was talking to Miyong outside of vocal class.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Minji shi you remember me?" I asked her

"Annyeonghaseyo, I've met you, but I can't remember your name. Mianhae" She said.

"Yoon JaeYoung ibnida." I told her

"Right! You're the one that helped me with my locker!" Now she remembers me.

JaeMin and AeRa came out of the class.

"Minji shi, you want to join us at the cafeteria?" I asked her

"Sure, why not." She agreed

"Ga ja" I said to the girls.

She was ahead of me walking beside Miyong shi.

"Ya oppa! What's with the look? I've never seen you look at a girl like that before." JaeMin noticed that I was staring at her.

"What look?" I asked.

"Like you like her look" AeRa said

"No, I don't" I didn't know how did I feel about her, I don't even know her yet. "I just find her interesting, you know, I talked to her yesterday, she wasn't even looking at me." I said

"So, what's so interesting about that?" JaeMin asked

"You want me to ask her, why was she not looking at you?" AeRa butted in

"No thanks.It's just that everytime I talked to girls they would look at me. You know, like they're acknowledging my presence. If you get what I mean." I explained

"I get it, I get it, you were always popular with the girls even before you came to SMA, but now Minji here has no interest in you, you feel different about it...Right?" AeRa asked.

"Wow, you guys know me well!" I put my armed on AeRa's shoulder.

"Maybe because you stinked" JaeMin

"Yeah right! I smell fine, thank you." I assured her.

"Or maybe she only likes girls." AeRa joked

"You know what, you both are not helping at all. I'll figure it out." I pushed them away. They were laughing behind me as I walked towards the cafeteria.

I saw B2ST members were already sitting at the table with their food. The boys came early this morning and had to skipped breakfast to practice for the preview performance.

 


 

While the girls were taking their food, Nichkhun came and stood beside AeRa.

"Annyeong AeRa shi" Nichkhun said

"Gamjagia!"She almost dropped her tray.

"Gwaenchana? Mianhae." Nichkhun appologized to her.

"It's ok, you came out of no where." Straighten herself back

"I like your performance just now." Nichkhun said.

"You were good too!" AeRa complimented him

"I was so so. Did you heard what Ms.Shim said?" He asked. The he started quoting "Nichkhun shi, you're a senior now, push harder on your vocals or the freshmens will take over"

"(chuckled). You weren't that bad." AeRa said.

"Do you have any plans after school?" He asked

"Errrmmm...I'm not sure, I think I have practice later. Waeyo?" AeRa asked curiously.

"The boys and I are going for a movie, so I was wondering if you would like join us?" He invited AeRa to a movie

"You're kidding? Me? Like on a date? Why?" AeRa was surprised. Here she was standing in the middle of the cafeteria and this perfectly good looking guy is asking her out.

"Because you're cute, plus It doesn't have to be a date. It could be just a movie night with friends." He said

"O-ok-okay." She stuttered.

"Cool. I'll pick you up." He exchanged number with AeRa

"But can I bring my friends too?" AeRa asked

"Sure! The more merrier! See ya!" He waved at her and went back to his table.

 


 

"What just happened?" Miyong asked

"Ni-Nichkhun shi just invited us for a movie." AeRa said. Not believing what just happened.

"When?" JaeMin asked.

"Tonight, after the group meeting." AeRa was walking towards to where JaeYoung oppa was seating. "Please come with me" AeRa begged.

"I can't tonight, I have to work. I need the extra money" Miyong said.

"Me too...Eottheoke?" JaeMin said.

"I can't go with them alone" AeRa was worried. Even though she liked Nichkhun shi, but she was scared to go out with a bunch of guys.

"Arasseo, I'll take a leave today. I'll go with you." JaeMin said.

JaeMin was worried letting AeRa go out with people she hardly recognized, she had to come along with her.

"Jjinja?! Kamsahamnida!" AeRa hugged JaeMin tightly

"Maybe we should ask JaeYoung oppa to come with us" JaeMin suggested.

AeRa asked JaeYoung to come with them to the movies. He agreed. 

"Hey, where is my group members?" Dujun suddenly asked.

B2ST members raised their hands.

"Not you guys! I meant my dancing team" He explained. "All of you here? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,- Who else?" Dujun asked

"EunHee shi" AeRa said.

"Ah matta! We'll have a group meeting later, and maybe we can practice a little. Arattji?" He said

"Deh, arasseo!" His group members replied.

"Same goes to my group too" Junhyung yelled out.

"Don't copy me!" Dujun said.

"Mwo? You already said it. I don't have to waste my time to explained again." Junhyund replied. "Kamsahamnida, Hyung!" He patted on Dujun's back.

"Aigoo, jjinja.." Dujun said to Junhyung.

"Minji shi!" JaeMin suddenly called out.

"Waeyo?" Minji replied.

"You're in dancing class too right?" JaeMin asked

Minji nodded "Deh..."

"Why don't you join our group? It would save time for Ms.Hwang to find a group for you." JaeMin offered

"Yeah, ok!" Minji agreed.

After lunch, they each separated into their dancing group. Dujun's group already picked 3 songs for their group dance. They found an empty dancing studio and immediately started warming up. While Junhyung's group went back to the auditorium.

 


 

At the dancing studio...

Dujun put on one of the song they've picked out, which is Beautiful Monster. All of them started warming up. JaeYoung was already into the music. He started dancing around the dance floor.

JaeYoung is known for his dancing and break dancing skills. His dancing is the main reason he got accepted to SMA. JaeYoung was closing his eyes while listening to the music, and started creating moves for the dance. AeRa and the other members had already seen him dance before except for EunHee, who was sitting down looking at JaeYoung dancing.

"His like a different person when he dance." EunHee said to AeRa.

"Yeah, this is the cool side of him." AeRa replied

"No wonder girl falls head over heels over him. Jjinja moda." EunHee said.

"The four of us used to be in a group, JaeMin, Miyong, JaeYoung oppa and me. We used to compete. JaeYoung oppa and Miyong are the ones that comes up with the choreography." AeRa explained

"Jeongmal? I'm just a standard dancer." EunHee told her.

"Nah, no worries. Practice makes perfect." AeRa said. She stood up and started stretching her arms.

Dujun was already goofing off dancing crazily making everyone in the studio laughed at him.

"Ya! Mwoya?!" JaeYoung hitting Dujun on the head. JaeYoung was still laughing at him. "Leader ah, ppali juseyo!"

"Arasseo, arasseo" Stood back up. "I just wanted to make you guys loosen up a little. Alright, let's get back to business."

They started discussing about their performance. From entering the stage, which is the solo parts for each members and the big ending.

"We have to dance perfectly. If one of us lost count, the whole dance will look a mess." JaeYoung said

"It has to be synchronized too. You know how Mr.Hwang is, we call him 'The Hawk', the eye of an eagle, he can spot mistakes or flaws from a mile a way." Dujun told s.

"Wah jjinja?! Even if it's just a showcase?" AeRa asking in disbelief

"Just a showcase? Every performance means a lot to any performer. Everything has to go exactly right." Gikwang explained.

"A showcase is where you are showing your competitors how good or bad you are for the first time. If you're good, it will leave a mark on them and if you're bad, it'll leave a mark on yourself. Make it or break it" Dongwoon said.

AeRa and EunHee were the only freshmen in the group. So listening to their sophomores speaking from experience scares them a little. They didn't know what was coming at them.

EunHee was overwhelmed by informations that the sophomores were saying. She was better at singing and playing the guitar. Dancing always comes third place for her.

"EunHee shi, gwaechanayo? You're a little quiet" Dujun asked

"I'm just a little overwhelmed." She confessed

"Hey, don't worry, we're a team. We have to help one and another." Dujun assured her.

"Thanks." She replied.

 


At the auditorium...

Junhyung's group has already started discussing.They finally made up their minds and picked Break Down, Knock out and Wedding dress.

All of them went up on stage to warm up. Minji was new to the group and felt awkward around them. Each and everyone in the group already met each other the first day and already gotten comfortable with one another.

"I think each of us should have solo parts. But I don't think we should go all at once. I think it should be in between songs." JaeMin suggested.

"I agree." Hyunseung said. "I think our leader should start first, what do you guys think?" he asked.

"As much as I want to be the first who gets the spotlight, I think the freshmens should go first." Junhyung said. "We shall pick the best dancer to be the opening solo act." Junhyung added

"I like the idea. We'll have Ms.Hwang help us with the moves, and whoever dance it the best will be the first solo act." said Yoseop who was playing with his shoe laces.

They went on and on about their performance. JaeMin took her iPod and started playing one of the song that they've selected which is Break Down.

"Let's just get the feel of the song first. There's no point just talking about it. We need to listen to the song and then start visualizing how our performance should be." JaeMin suggested.

"She's right team. C'mon! Everyone stand up, and start visualizing." Junhyung directed to the whole team.

"Junhyung shi, while you guys were discussing, I came up with some moves for our routine. Do you mind if I show it to them?" Minji asking Junhyung boldly.

"Jjinja? Of course!" Junhyung gave her the thumbs up.

Minji started to dance. She was all around the stage, as if she's practiced the dance a few times before. She totally ignored that her team mates were on the stage too. All eyes were on her.

"She's awesome!" Yoseop whispered to both Junhyung and JaeMin

"I think so too." Junhyung replied.

She ended her dance with a bow to her team mates who were all cheering for her.

"Minji shi! Jjinja jalhasseo!! I can say on behalf of the rest of the members, you deserved the opening solo." Junhyung told her.

"I've never seen a girl who can danced with that much power." Miyong said to Minji.

"Jeongmallyo? Kamsahamida. I will do my best!" Minji thanked her team mates.

 


After practice, JaeYoung and AeRa stayed back at the music class while waiting for JaeMin and Miyong to come out from practice. AeRa went to the washroom leaving him alone in the classroom.

JaeYoung sat at the piano and started playing one of his favorite song 'If I ain't got you by Alicia Keys'. He started singing along to it. Little that he knows that Ms.Shim was standing at the entrance looking at him singing. Ms.Shim was impressed by JaeYoung's vocal ability. After JaeYoung finished singing, Ms.Shim walked in the room.

"GAMJAGIA!!" JaeYoung was shocked seeing Ms.Shim. "Ms.Shim, i didn't know you were there."

"DAEBAK!" Ms.Shim she complimented JaeYoung

"Mianhae Ms.Shim, but what are you referring to?" He asked.

"You. You sang that song beautifully!" She said

"Jjinja? I was just playing around with the piano." Him asking in disbelief

"You must join the vocal class. Come and see me tomorrow, arratji?" Ms.Shim wanted JaeYoung to join her class.

"Jamkkamanyo! Joining the vocal class? Waeyo?" JaeYoung wasn't sure what was Ms.Shim talking about. "I don't think I'm good enough" he told Ms.Shim

"NONSENSE! You sang pretty well. You're better than half of the students in my class. There's a few pitch problem but we can work on that. Don't waste such talent. Drop by my office tomorrow and I'll give you the schedule. There will be a duet for the showcase that you need to prepare for and the remaining student that will duet with you is Gong Minji shi. Think of a song to sing and give me a short preview the day after tomorrow. Arattji?" Ms.Shim insisted

"(speechless)... Ms.Shim, you seriously want me to join the vocal class? JaeYoung making sure that Ms.Shim wasn't playing around with him.

"I don't look serious to you? I'm saying this for the last time 'YES!'. See you tomorrow JaeYoung shi." Ms.Shim confirming him and them walked out of the class.

AeRa came back from the washroom and saw JaeYoung was sitting at the piano mouth wide open.

"Ya oppa! What's wrong with you? I just saw Ms.Shim walked out of here. Waeyo?" AeRa asked curiously.

"Ms.Shim just asked me to join the vocal class. My duet partner is Minji shi." JaeYoung speaking in monotone.

"Vocal class?! Waeyo waeyo?" AeRa asking anxiously.

"I was just fooling aorund the piano and singing along to the song and I didn't even notice that she was standing by the door watching." JaeYoung explained.

"Ya jjinja?! You can sing? I've known you for so long and I never knew that you could sing." AeRa said.

"...and now I'm the same class as you guys!" JaeYoung replied.

"Chughahae, you lucky pabo!" AeRa congratulated him.

 


JaeMin and Miyong heard JaeYoung and Miyong's voice from afar.

"What are you guys congratulating about?" JaeMin asked.

JaeYoung and AeRa started telling them the whole story. JaeMin and Miyong were both surprised by the sudden news but they congratulated him anyway.

JaeYoung gave them a ride home and AeRa reminded everyone about movie night with 2pm tonight and told them to come over to her house and wait for Nichkhun.

 

Movie time...

Nichkhun came and picked them up and headed straight to the movies.

"Are you guys into action or thriller? I'm into thriller" Nichkhun asked.

"Whooo! ACTION!" AeRa yelled out.

"Thriller for me." JaeMin said

"I like action though" JaeYoung's choice.

"It's a tie. Wooyoung just texted me, he said he wants to watch action. Okay, Rise of the planet apes then." Nichkhun said.

2pm members already arrived at the cinema. They were chatting amongst themselves.

 


 

AeRa (POV)

I felt awkward hanging out with 2PM members. It wasn't as comfortable as B2ST members. I thought that 2pm members were serious kind of people, but they were the total opposites. Teacyeon was a total goof ball, they call him the giant. Junsu was always in his own head, his nickname is the grandfather in the group, because he nags a lot. Junho, Chansung and Wooyoung are like the hyperactive kids. Nichkhun was a more quiet one in the group. But he looks the cutest among all of them. He had his beret on, reminding me of someone playing golf but he looks good in them.

Nichkhun treated everyone. He paid for the movies and the snacks. We went in the cinema. Now its the hard part. Who's gonna sit with who? 

Junsu, Taecyeon, Wooyoung went in first. Nichkhun went in followed by me, Jaeyoung oppa and JaeMin. Last was Chansung and Junho. All of us were quiet, all as in JaeYoung oppa, JaeMin and me. But I notice that Chansung was making conversation with JaeMin. 

"I feel so awkward here." JaeYoung oppa said to me.

"I know, JaeMin and Chansung are already talking together." AeRa looking at JaeMin

I felt a tap on my shoulder.I turned around and it was Nichkhun.

"Are you comfortable?" He asked all of a sudden

"Ya, i'm fine." I replied

"Sorry about the boys, they're a bit big size and rough." he explained

"Its ok. I find them funny." I said to him. It was silence after that. 

The movie started. I was urging to ask him a question.

"Nichkhun shi...Can I ask you something?" I asked

"Yeah sure." Nichkhun replied

"Why did you want to ask me out?" I ask curiously

"You're interesting and cute."Nichkhun answered.

I was quiet. I didn't know what to reply to that. I didn't know anything interesting about me except for my singing and dancing.

"How about you? Why did you agree going out with me? Do you like me?" Nichkhun asking bluntly

"Yeah, I do." I covered my face after I said that.

Nichkhun, took my hand down, and smiled at me.

Every other minute, I will peek a look at Nichkhun and he would winked at me. That made my heart skipped a beat. We shared a popcorn together and every now and then our hands would touch. JaeYoung and JaeMin were really into the movie. They didn't nudge to go to the washroom.

After the movie, Nichkhun sent us back to my house. I thanked him for treating me and my friends. We said our goodnights and he left.

It was already late, JaeYoung oppa gave JaeMin a ride home. I was back in the lonely house again. I was sitting at the piano, playing my duet song with Gikwang. Brenda heard me came in and joined me by the piano.

"How was your movie night?" she asked

"It was fun! Brenda, he is dreamy. But it wasn't like a date. His friends came along with him." AeRa told Brenda

"Hey, he must've like you. That's why he asked you out to the movies." Brenda said. 

I was too happy to say anything. I said goodnight to Brenda and went to bed with sweet thoughts of my movie night with Nichkhun.

 


How did chapter 7 go? Was it good, lame, exciting or boring? Please give me advice or comment so that I can improve to write better fanfic.

Thank you!