Chapter 30

Shadows of Love

Michael looked at the four of them. Raymond was on the ground with a hand to his bruised cheek. Charmaine was kneeling by his side. Joe stood a few feet away, his hands fisted at his sides while Ron stood between them in a combative stance. Michael closed the door behind him and said, “We can hear all the commotion from the other room!” He eyed Joe and Raymond, “I want to speak to the both of you alone.” The others quickly filed out of the room but Charmaine remained in place. Michael looked at her inquiringly then thought better of it and let her remain.

Michael grabbed a chair and placed it in front of them. With ease he sat down and crossed his legs, “Joe, you first. I want to hear your explanation on what the hell just happened here.”

Joe looked at Michael and smiled, “Nothing that we can’t handle on our own. Isn’t that right Raymond?”

Raymond finally stood up and glared at Joe, “Everything has been settled,” he agreed. He took Charmaine’s hand and turned to Michael, “We’re leaving now and thanks for the dinner but it won’t be necessary. I’m not going anywhere for the time being.” He turned and gave Joe a cold look, “As a matter of fact, I’ve decided to stay and take care of the other thing that needs to be taken care of,” he said as he continued to glare meaningfully at Joe.

The only response Joe gave to Raymond’s comment was smirk. His eyes leveled on Charmaine as he said softly, “I want you know that I did what I did because I love you. I only wanted to keep you with me.”

Charmaine met his eyes and said truthfully, “I’m not mad at you because I’ve been lying to you myself. I don’t love you, at least not in the same way as you do. I’m sorry.”

Joe darted a glance at Raymond, “Is it because of him?”

Charmaine didn’t say a word but simply nodded her answer. Raymond squeezed her hand and said, “Let’s go now.”

Joe didn’t pay any heed to Raymond and smiled tenderly at Charmaine, “I hope we can still be friends.”

Charmaine smiled brightly in return, “Definitely,” then allowed Raymond to lead her out.

Michael stood up from his chair, “I’m glad you guys were able to work things out on your own. I hate getting myself involved in your personal affairs.” He too then left.

Alone in the room Joe was simmering with rage. He stared with hatred at the door where his targets of hatred have just left. A vision of Charmaine and Raymond flashed before him and he felt his fury burst. He picked up a glass from the nearby table and flung it across the room, shattering it into pieces. He muttered a stream of curses and when his anger was spent he muttered, “I’m going to get you all.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Back at Charmaine’s apartment, Raymond made himself comfortable on her couch while Charmaine heated up some leftovers. She brought the meal out to him in a tray and announced, “Dinner is ready!”

Raymond looked eagerly at the food and despite the steaming hotness, unceremoniously dumped a steak filet into his mouth. “Yum” he said but then his expression turned serious. “What was that about?” When Charmaine looked up at him with brows drawn, he said, “You’re not thinking about remaining friends with Joe are you?”

“Why not?” Charmaine asked. “Even though I won’t be marrying him, he is still a friend.”

“I know Joe pretty well and after tonight he won’t be viewing you as a friend.”

Charmaine perched on the couch as she dugged into the food, “You can’t be sure of that. Joe isn’t the big evil man you make him out to be.”

Raymond pulled Charmaine back to lean against him and said, “I don’t want to see him hurt you in any way. Promise me that you’ll stay away from him.”

Charmaine saw the grim expression on his face and rolled her eyes at his overly protectiveness. With a giggle she said, “Alright. But you also have to promise me that history will not repeat itself.”

Raymond knew what she was insinuating and pulled her closer to him. “I promise and to prove it, I won’t drink again. That way my mind will always be sober and therefore won’t do anything foolish.”

Charmaine was delighted with his answer and slid her arms around his neck for a hug. Raymond caught her wrists and held them before him. He turned them so that he could see the scar of his past mistake on her delicate skin. Gently he traced the faded white line with a forefinger as he lifted his head to look at her. In his eyes, Charmaine saw the pain and regret and despite the happiness of them being reunited, she was unsettled by the raw emotions emanating from them. “What’s wrong?” she asked quietly as his eyes roamed over her face.

Raymond took her hands and locking his eyes with hers murmured, “I can’t believe I almost lost you for good. It’s all my fault. I would rather take my own life than have you hurt in any way.”

Touched by his words, Charmaine said achingly, “You didn’t lose me. I’m here and we’re going to be together from now on.”

Raymond saw the love reflected in her eyes and pulled her towards him. When she was nestled in the cocoon of his arms, he whispered, “Together forever.”