Chapter 4

Shadows of Love

Charmaine came out from behind the long L-counter and walked to where Tavia and Jessica sat. Putting down two cups of coffee, she took a seat beside them. “You guys are early today. We have another hour before closing time.”

“That’s because we have a reason to be,” Tavia said excitedly with an overly bright smile.

“What is that reason?” Charmaine asked already knowing that the reason would involve a bar or a club. Mentally she began tossing excuses around on not to go to wherever they have in mind. She was too beat for an evening out and wanted to go home, take a nice hot bath and relax in front of the TV.

Jessica leaned in and whispered, “Tavia’s co-worker told her of a bar that she swears is loaded with rich and handsome men. She wants to go check it out tonight. Who knows? One of us may get lucky.”

The prospect of that did not appeal to Charmaine at all. She would usually go along to appease her friends but tonight she was definitely too tired. Shaking her head she said, “Why don’t you two go without me and have fun. I’ll join you guys another time.”

Tavia pouted and grabbed her hand, “Come on. You know it has always been the three of us. Without you there’s no fun.” She then turned to Jessica for help, “Isn’t that right?”

Jessica took a hold of Charmaine’s other hand, “I promise we’ll only stay for an hour. Let’s just go in and have a peep around. No harm in that.”

“Are you ladies trying to corrupt Charmaine?” a masculine male voice asked from behind. The three turned to look at Joe as he grabbed a vacant chair from another table and sat down next to Charmaine, stopping to give her a peck on the cheek.

“We were not!” Tavia exclaimed, “We were trying to convince her to come and have some fun with us.”

Joe looked at Charmaine and saw the fatigued in her eyes. In a gentle voice, he asked, “Couldn’t sleep last night?”

Charmaine smiled in response. “I had a nightmare,” she lied. Truth be told, she hasn’t gotten a good night’s sleep since the night she caught Raymond with another woman, but she couldn’t tell him that. Seeing the curiosity on Joe’s face, she added, “I watched a horror flick right before going to bed.”

Tavia giggled and lifted an eye at Joe but her question was aimed at Charmaine, “Why didn’t you call Joe to come over and watch it with you? I’m sure you’ll be less frightened with his presence.”

Charmaine flushed and said sternly, “Tavia, stop talking nonsense!”

Joe turned and looked at Charmaine intently. In a low voice meant for her ears only, he said, “You know I’ll always be available for you. All you have to do is call and I’ll be there.”

Charmaine lifted her eyes to his and was uncomfortable under the force of his gaze. At times she felt as if Joe could read her mind. Her relationship with Joe was still something new to her and she didn’t know where it will lead. Right now, she is content with having dinners with him a few nights out of the week, walks along the parks and even an occasional movie. But Joe wanted more, he made that clear. He wanted some sort of commitment from her, which Charmaine was hesitant about giving. Not knowing how to respond to his comment, she stood up hastily and avoided his eyes. “I better start cleaning up in the back if we want to close on time,” she stammered then left the table.

“I’ll help you,” Jessica said and got up to follow Charmaine.

When they were out of sight, Tavia turned and smiled mirthlessly at Joe, “You’re very persistent did you know that?”

“Only when it comes to Charmaine,” Joe answered quietly as he retrieved an envelope from his pocket and extended it to Tavia. “These are for you and Jessica.”

Tavia took the envelope and looked in, “Tickets to the Councilman’s ball?”

“I’m planning to take Charmaine and was thinking maybe you and Jessica would like to join us.”

Tavia smiled gleefully, “Of course we would! Thanks!” She stuffed the envelope into her bag just as Charmane and Jessica returned to the table. “Joe gave us tickets to a ball next week.”

Charmaine looked at Joe questioningly, “What ball?”

Joe stood up and placed an arm around her shoulders, “It’s a ball for charity. I’m one of the sponsors and would be delighted if you can attend with me. But if you don’t want to I’ll understand.”

Charmaine looked up and saw the hope in Joe’s eyes. With a tender smile, she said, “I would love to.”