Chapter 26

Shadows of Love

“Listen, I’m sorry!” Ron said as he hurried after Tavia.

Tavia ignored him and continued walking. She was about to step off the curb when Ron jumped onto the street in front of her.

“Can you at least hear me out?” Ron pleaded desperately.

“I can’t believe you kept this from me,” Tavia said as she stepped around Ron, “When I asked you the last time what was wrong with Raymond you lied. I thought we could be open with each other.”

Ron followed close at her heels and said, “I didn’t think Raymond would keep at it. I figured once he realizes that Charmaine wants to be with Joe, he’ll leave it alone.”

Tavia stopped walking then and turned to face him, “That’s beside the point. I’m mad because he was the guy that broke her heart and you didn’t even tell me. I know he’s your buddy and everything but to me and Charmaine, he’s a heartless bastard. And you keeping the truth from me is just as bad.”

“I’m sorry but please don’t say that about Raymond,” Ron said quietly.

Tavia glowered at him, “Why not? It’s the truth isn’t it? Charmaine caught him making out with another woman. If she had arrived five minutes later, kissing wouldn’t be all that she would have seen.”

Ron closed his eyes for a brief moment to collect his thoughts. “Again, I’m sorry but can we not get involved with it. It’s their business and it shouldn’t affect our relationship.”

“Our relationship?” Tavia asked sarcastically. “How could I be with someone who is protecting the man that almost cost the life of one of my best friend?”

Ron grabbed Tavia’s hand and when she struggled to pull free, he held it tight, “I have something to tell you that I’ve never told anyone before. What Charmaine saw that night was a set up. Raymond was just as much a victim as she was.”

Tavia looked searching at Ron, “Set up? What are you talking about?”

Ron stared at Tavia and said, “That night, someone slipped a drug into Raymond’s drink that caused him to act that way. Then a text message was sent to Charmaine telling her where to find him. And you know the rest.”

Tavia was astounded by what she was hearing, “Why would anyone want to do that?” she asked but then knew who it was. She looked at the guilt on Ron’s face and said, “It was you, wasn’t it?” Seeing the slight dip of his head, she asked, “Why? Why did you break them up?”

Ron flushed at the hard look Tavia was giving him, “I-I wanted Raymond to concentrate on work. He was spending too much time with Charmaine. I was afraid that she would drag him down. I was selfish in my reasons.”

Tavia looked at Ron with incredulity, “I can’t believe you would do something like that. Did you even think about the consequences?”

“No I didn’t. At that moment all I cared about was making money and getting a rank in the association.”

Tavia gave one last look of horror at Ron then turned to leave.

Ron grabbed her arm, “Where are you going?”

“Anywhere that is away from you,” Tavia said tersely.

Ron kept his hold on her and asked weakly, “Are you going to tell Charmaine and Raymond?”

Tavia met his eyes briefly and muttered, “I don’t know.” She pushed Ron’s hand away and fled.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raymond walked into Michael’s office and sat down on one of the guest chairs. “Can you find me a replacement? I want to go away for a while.”

Michael knew what he was thinking and said, “Running away is not going to take the heartache away.”

“I need a break from everyone and I can’t work with Joe any more,” Raymond stated flatly.

“I see,” Michael said as he got up from his chair and walked towards Raymond. “I know all about you and Charmaine.”

Surprised, Raymond looked at him and said, “Ron? He told you everything?”

“No, you did a while ago. Only I didn’t know the identity of the woman till recently.”

“Then you should understand why I have to leave,” Raymond said.

Michael patted Raymond’s shoulder, “I do understand but that doesn’t mean I agree with it.” He sat down in the chair next to Raymond, “If you and Charmaine are meant to be together, you will be. But for you to put a halt to all that you have accomplished isn’t the right thing to do.”

“I’m sorry Michael,” Raymond said as he got up. “My mind is made up.”

Michael knew better than to argue, “When do you plan to leave?”

Raymond sadly said, “The sooner the better. Maybe next week if you can find a replacement for me.”

“I’ll do my best,” Michael offered then said, “I’ll plan a farewell dinner for you. How about Saturday? I’m sure you would want to say goodbye to your friends here in the association.”

Raymond wasn’t in the mood but gave in. He wouldn’t be seeing these people any more and he wanted to leave on friendly terms, “Sure.”