Chapter 14

Shadows of Love

Charmaine did not go home as she told Tavia. Instead she found herself wandering the park where she used to go with Raymond. She didn’t want to think of him and yet no matter how hard she tries to banish him from her mind, he is always there. She thought she would never see him again. After all this time, when she has finally put the past behind her and accepted another man into her life, he re-appears. Seeing him again renewed the feelings she thought she didn’t have for him any more. If she was honest with herself, those feelings were always there, hidden in the depths of her heart. Although Joe was a good man and wins over Raymond on all the characteristics wanted in an ideal husband, Charmaine did not have the same intense feeling of love she did when she was with Raymond.

Looking up at the darkening sky, she hurried her steps. It looked about to pour any second and there was no shelter to shield her from the impending rain in this open park, except for a telephone booth a quarter of a mile away. The same telephone booth where she and Raymond once ran into for cover under the same circumstances. Charmaine felt drops on her face and looked up to see a bolt of lightning flash across the now black sky. She would not be able to make it out of the park in time. Covering her head with her hands, she dashed towards the telephone booth as the rain began to pound steadily.

Raymond didn’t know why he was in the park. He just went wherever his feet took him to. When he left the restaurant he didn't have a destination in mind. All he wanted was to get away from them and especially from Tavia's words. Hearing that Charmaine thought of Joe as everything she ever wanted in a man stung him severely. He had always thought that he, himself, was that man. He admitted that from the start their relationship had been unbalanced. Charmaine had already declared her love and placed him before anyone and everything else. However, at that time, he was not in the same place as her. At least he didn't think he was. True, he had always been attracted to her, even at first sight. None of his girlfriends lasted more than two weeks. With Charmaine, he felt comfortable with her and enjoyed her company and that was the reason he stayed with her. He can't deny that he had feelings for her but never realized how deep those feelings were until it was too late. Only when she had left, did he recognize those feelings of longing and need as love. By then he couldn't salvage what was left of their broken relationship because she had vanished over night.

Raymond did not feel the rain as it cascaded down all around him and soaked him thoroughly as he strolled the empty park. From a distance, he saw the telephone booth where he and Charmaine had retreated to years ago. As he drew near, he could make out a figure inside, apparently waiting for the rain to lighten up. Walking closer, the profile of the woman seemed familiar and he felt the quickening of his pulse. When he was less than ten feet away, he let out a gasp of surprise. She had not seen him yet for she was facing straight ahead. Raymond walked with determination towards the booth and stood at its doorway blocking Charmaine from leaving.

Charmaine was shocked to see Raymond standing before her, drenched to the skin with eyes bearing down on her. She took a step forward to move past him, but he refused to budge. She glared at him and hissed, “Get out of my way!”

Raymond stood his ground and smiled at her, “I’m taking cover from the rain, just like you.”

Charmaine stepped backwards, as far away from him as she could in that tiny three by three cell, and sharply said, “There isn’t enough room for the two of us in here. So either you leave or I will.”

Raymond was unfazed by her words and took a step towards her bringing him directly in front of her. In a soft voice, he said, “Do you remember us being stuck here once because of the rain?”

Turning away from him, she lied, “No, I don’t remember it.”

Raymond looked at her hard-set face and knew she was flaring with anger. He opened his arms and placed his hands flat against the glass pane on either side of him as he stared down at her. “Well I do and I will never forget that incident or the person who made it special for me.”

Charmaine kept her eyes from him and said forcefully, “And neither will I forget the person who had hurt me in the worse possible way.”

Raymond flinched at her words and with pleading eyes said softly, “If I could turn back time, I would never have done what I did.”

Charmaine looked at him then and said firmly, “Well you can’t so there is no point in rehashing the past.”

Raymond stretched his arms towards her, wanting to hug her, but when he saw her cowering back, he dropped his arms. “Can’t you forgive me this one time?” he asked weakly.

“No,” Charmaine said with finality and turned her face away.

That one word tore at his heart and his eyes has lost its brilliance as he continued to stare down at her. In a stronger voice, he vowed, “I want you to know that no matter what happens I’m not going to give up on us. I lost you once and I’m not going to lose you again.”

Charmaine felt a tear slip down her cheek and Raymond caught sight of it. Slowly, he brought his hand to her face and with his thumb gently wiped away the tear.

The touch of his finger on her face made her look up at him. In a whisper she said, “Don’t.”

Raymond did not remove his hand and instead cradled her face. Without taking his eyes off her, he lowered his head and kissed her. Charmaine knew that she should push him away but she couldn’t. The feel of his lips on hers made her knees weak and her heart beat fast. She opened slightly and Raymond deepened the kiss. When she started to respond, he encircled her waist with his arms pulling her closer. Charmaine felt the pressure of his hands on her back and it was like a wake up call. She broke away from the kiss and pushed him away, quickly side-stepping him into the heavy rain. She turned to give him one last look and then left.