Chapter 34

Shadows of Love

Jessica walked up the street of her block and stopped a few feet from the entrance of her building when she recognized a car with its engine idling parked in front. The man behind the wheel had his eyes closed and seemed to be asleep. She walked to the driver’s side and tapped on the window, “Joe, what are you doing here?”

Joe smile and got out of the car. “I was waiting for you.”

“Why?” Jessica asked puzzled.

Joe flushed and dipped his hands into the back pockets of his jeans, “I was around the area and rang your bell. The doorman said you weren’t home so I thought I just wait till you get back.”

Jessica didn’t know why Joe would come seek her out. She looked at him cautiously. It wasn’t as if they were the best of friends. She barely knew him and from what she knew of him he seemed to be a decent okay guy. Otherwise, Charmaine wouldn’t have gone out with him. Perhaps her mind was over thinking things and he just needed someone to talk to. He was probably still trying to cope with the breakup. Jessica had always had a soft heart, “Are you interested in going out with me for a drink?” she asked.

“Sure,” Joe said with a grin. “Only if you will let me treat.”

Jessica laughed, “I won’t argue with that!” She walked to the passenger side of the car and got in. On the seat was a small gift wrapped box. She picked it up and handed it to Joe, “Here, you left this on the seat.”

Joe didn’t take it and swerved the car onto the road. “It’s for you.”

“For me?” Jessica asked in surprise. “What for?”

Joe turned and gave her a smile, “For being there when I was at my lowest point.”

Jessica suddenly felt shy and said, “I didn’t do anything that night besides letting you watch me eat like a pig!”

Joe laughed, “That was all I needed. It was nice just having a relaxing dinner.” He swung his eyes from the road and gave her another glance. “The gift is yours and I’m not taking it back.”

“Alright,” Jessica sighed with exaggeration. “I hate arguing with someone who has my life in his hands.”

Joe lifted an eyebrow at her, “Huh?”

Jessica laughed aloud at the sheer bafflement on his face, “Because I’m sitting in your car and you’re driving!”

Joe chuckled, “Makes sense.” He stopped at a light, “You still haven’t told me where we’re going.”

Jessica giggled, “Make a right turn here and go down two blocks. My friend owns a bar there and the atmosphere there is really cool. You’ll like it there. Plus, I haven’t visited my friend in a while.”

“Sounds good to me,” Joe said as he drove passed the light. He glanced at Jessica out of the corner of his eyes and saw that she was looking down at the gift in her hand with a smile of pleasure. Joe also smiled thinking this was easier than he expected.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The four of them walked into the bar. Charmaine and Tavia left the men to get them a table while they went to say hello to the owner, who also happened to be a very good friend of their’s. When the ladies returned, they found the men sitting at a table near the bar.

“I told Derek that we’re here so that we can get a discount,” Tavia said with a twinkle in her eyes.

Ron chuckled as he signaled the waiter over, “Can you bring us a bucket of beer?” The waiter nodded and left. When the waiter returned minutes later with the bucket, he also placed a frothy pink drink with a cocktail umbrella in front of Charmaine and said, “Compliments from Derek.”

Charmaine smiled, “Tell Derek I said thanks.” The waiter nodded again and walked away.

Raymond was annoyed and it showed on his face. Sulkily, he said, “Why would he give you a free drink and not Tavia since both of you are his friends?”

Tavia giggled as she looked at Raymond with a bemused smile, “That’s because Derek has had a crush on Charmaine for the longest time.”

“No, he doesn’t!” Charmaine blurted out giving Tavia a hard look. She then turn to look at Raymond, who’s expression has now turned sour. “Don’t listen to Tavia. She’s talking nonsense.”

Raymond didn’t say a word but his look said it all. He believed Tavia and didn’t like it one bit. He gave Charmaine a smile of assurance that didn’t quite reach his eyes.

Charmaine guessed right away where his thoughts were leading to. She leaned towards him and whispered, “You’re the only one for me.” Raymond gave her a pleased smile and kissed the tip of her nose.

Ron took it upon himself to entertain them and suggested, “Let’s play a guessing game. I’ll describe characteristics of an object or a person and you try to guess what or who it is. The catch is that the description can only be one word and you’re allowed up to five words total.”

“I’m in,” Tavia said then turned to Raymond and Charmaine, “Are you guys in?”

Charmaine looked expectedly at Raymond and when he saw the humorous glow on her face, said, “Sure, why not?”

Before they had the chance to begin the first round, Joe and Jessica approached them. He looked at each of them fleetingly but his eyes rested on Charmaine a bit longer than necessary which irked Raymond. “Mind if we join you?” Joe asked smoothly, eyes now fixed challengingly on Raymond.

Raymond smiled haughtily in return and rested a possessive arm around Charmaine’s shoulders, “Of course we don’t mind. Why would we?”

Joe didn’t answer and pulled a chair out for Jessica. Before he sat down in his own chair, his gaze shot over to Charmaine once more. Raymond caught it and saw the yearning on Joe’s face. He felt himself automatically tightening his arms around her. Joe witnessed the slight movement and lifted his gaze to Raymond’s. He gave Raymond a sardonic smile before turning his attention to Jessica.