Chapter 6

Shadows of Love

Raymond and Ron followed behind Michael as they walked into the Grand Hyatt ballroom, located on the 2nd floor of the infamous hotel. Entering the room, they recognized a few familiar faces, faces that were members of their association. A waiter hurried over and offered them some champagne. With glasses in hands, they set off to mingle among the guests. Michael stopped mid-step and stared off into the near distance. Furrowing his brows, he squinted his eyes then headed off in the direction of his gaze, “Tavia!”

Tavia turned hearing her name and was surprised to see her god-brother. “Michael,” she greeted cheerfully, automatically wrapping him in bear hug. “What are you doing here? I never thought I would encounter you at one of these.”

Michael chuckled, “I should be asking you that question.” He turned and smiled at Jessica, his eyes taking on a warm glow, “How are you Jessica?”

Jessica smiled shyly as she forced herself to meet his eyes, “I’m well and yourself?”

“Good, never been better,” Michael said jovially as he locked his eyes with hers. Not caring that they had an audience, Michael said, “Remember to save a dance for me.”

Jessica lowered her head in delightful embarrassment and murmured, “I definitely will.” She heard Tavia snickering beside her and with her elbow lightly jabbed her friend.

Michael pretended that he didn’t see that and placed an arm around Tavia’s shoulder. He turned her slightly to face Raymond and Ron. “Tavia, I want you to meet Raymond and Ron. They are my two best assistants. In case you are ever in trouble and can’t find me, look for either one of them. They’ll know where to reach me.”

Tavia smiled and shook their hands but her gaze remained fixed on Ron. “You look familiar,” she announced after examining his face with open curiosity.

“Really? Is that good or bad?” Ron asked with humor inordinately pleased that Tavia was focusing her attention on him.

Tavia smiled again and cheekily answered, “That’s for me to know and you to find out.”

Ron laughed, already enjoying the evening which he thought would be dull and uneventful. Giving Tavia a grin, he asked, “Would you care to dance with me later?”

Thrilled, Tavia gaped openly at him and said, “I would love to.”

Michael cackled and took a step to stand between them, “Stop flirting for a minute here. Tavia, you didn't answer my question. How did you get the tickets to this ball? From my understanding the tickets are quite expensive and not sold to the general public.”

Tavia giggled and hooked her arm with Michael’s pulling him along to their table. “I have my ways you know. You’re not the only one with connections around here.”

In a chiding tone that meant he wanted real answers, Michael said, “Out with it.”

With a sigh, telling him that she was not happy with his brotherly behavior at this moment, Tavia said, “My friend’s boyfriend gave us the tickets. They should be here soon. I’ll introduce you to them when they arrive.”

Michael relaxed a bit. He can’t help but worry about Tavia. Tavia was an orphan that his mother took in when she was only eight years old. He loved her like a real sister and didn’t want to see her hurt or injured. Although Tavia had been living on her own since she graduated out of college, Michael still thought of her as a little girl who is naïve and don’t know the cruelness of the world. He made an effort to meet all her friends and would warn her against those that he felt was a bad influence. “Who is this friend of your’s?”

“You know her Michael. You’ve seen Charmaine a few times with me already.”

Raymond’s ears perked at the name wondering if they were the same person. Anxiously, he looked at Tavia waiting to hear more.

“Yes, I remember her,” Michael said as a memory of her flashed through his mind. “You guys are always together.”

Tavia suddenly pointed towards the stairs which lead into the ballroom, “There she is now with her boyfriend Joe.”

Raymond mechanically turned in that direction and his breath caught at the sight of Charmaine. It was as if time stood still. Although Charmaine was looking off to the side, Raymond would still have known it was her. He could never forget that face. She looked as beautiful as when he last saw her. Only now she had an air of sophistication that was even more alluring than her girlish charms of the past. His heart thudded wildly and he felt himself perspire. Raymond stared as she walked into the room, turning every so often to look up at the man beside her. Reluctantly, Raymond removed his eyes from her to the man and felt a moment’s shock when he saw who it was. What was she doing with Joe, he pondered with annoyance.

Tavia waved her hand at the newly arrived couple and said, “They’re coming over now.”

Keeping his eyes trained on Charmaine, he waited calmly for her and Joe to make their way over. Joe said something to Charmaine that caused her to smile sweetly in response. Raymond was overcome with jealousy as he continued to watch the pair. Charmaine still has not seen him and he wondered what her reaction would be when she did. Raymond knew he shouldn’t be expecting her to jump into his arms at seeing him again. After all, he was the one who screwed up their relationship. Except in his heart, he had not forgotten her all these years and secretly wished that they could pick up where they left off. He will never admit this to anyone but Charmaine was the only woman that he ever loved and still did.