Chapter 21

Shadows of Love

It was close to 3:00 am when Charmaine finally left the hospital. Joe had told her to leave several times but she refused. She wanted to make sure that he was going to be fine. When he finally fell asleep, she left. As she made her way across the parking lot, she saw Raymond leaning against a car. He saw her at the same time and ran over to her.

Raymond stopped a feet away from her and said, “I’ve been waiting for you.”

Charmaine brought her hand up to stifle a yawn and said, “I don’t want to talk about anything now. I just want to go home and sleep.” She turned away from him towards the curb to hail a cab.

Raymond’s hand grabbed her arm from behind, “I’ll drive you home.”

Too tired to argue, Charmaine allowed him to help her into his car. During the ride home, they didn’t speak. Charmaine had her face averted out the window on her side. She knew the questions that were on Raymond’s mind. How could she answer them when she didn’t know what she was going to do herself. She wanted to end it with Joe and be with Raymond but Joe’s health was at stake now.

Raymond had insisted on walking her up to her apartment and again she didn’t argue. Once inside her apartment, Raymond went into the kitchen and made a cup of tea for her. He waited for her to take a few sips before pulling her down to sit beside him on the couch, “What’s going on?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” Charmaine answered quietly.

“Before at the hospital, you can’t deny what happened between us,” Raymond stated firmly. “I know you still love me. Don’t lie and say you don’t!”

Charmaine lifted her eyes to his and demanded, “What are you expecting me to say or do? I’m with Joe now!”

“Joe! So what? Break up with him,” Raymond said harshly.

“I can’t,” Charmaine said softly and when she saw the hurt on Raymond’s face, she added, “At least not now.”

Raymond asked, “Be honest with me, do you have any intentions of being with me again?”

Charmaine met his eyes and stared into its depth. She took a steady breath and said slowly, “Yes, but I need to tell Joe in my own way and in my own time. Can’t you understand that?”

Raymond saw her reasoning. He didn’t like it but he understood. “How much time do you need?”

She looked away from him and said, “I don’t know. So much has happened and I need time to sort it all out.”

Raymond brought his hands up to cup her face. Gently, he turned her head so that she was now looking at him again. “I’ve waited four years already so what’s another few days.”

Charmaine smiled tenderly at his words and mouthed, “Thank you.”

Raymond felt like he was in a trance as he stared at her lips. With ease, he slowly moved towards her. He in a breath and then kissed her abruptly, hugging her to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Michael sat in the darkness in the living room of Jessica’s apartment. Jessica and Tavia went to sleep hours ago. Ron was snoring lightly on the floor. Picking up a bottle of beer, he went out onto the terrace. Sleep evaded him. He had too much on his mind. At times, he wondered why he chose this line of work. He was smart, graduating at the top of his class in college. Who would have thought that he, with a MBA, would make a living out of trafficking drugs. He should have been a lawyer or even a doctor. Instead, he chose a very different path and had been in this destructive path for over ten years now. He wanted to give it all up but he can’t right now. Not when Joe was such a big threat to everyone. What happened tonight was just an example of the evil that lie in Joe’s mind. The guy was ruthless and cold and didn’t have a care to who gets hurt along the way. However, tonight’s incident enlightened Michael on something. And that is that Joe cares a lot for Charmaine. He also learned something else too, so did Raymond. Ron had denied it, but Michael thought otherwise. If Joe and Raymond butted heads over a woman, it wouldn’t be the first time. Only, this time, Michael believed it would be fatal because he had a strong suspicion that both men were actually in love with Charmaine.

“Mind if I join you,” Jessica asked standing in the doorway to the terrace.

Michael jumped at her voice and smiled, “Of course not,” he said as he leaned against the rail.

Jessica pulled her robe tighter together against the evening chill, “Can’t sleep?”

Michael nodded, “Too much on my mind.”

“Anything I can help with?” she asked lightly, knowing that he would say no.

“Actually, yes,” Michael said which caused Jessica to straighten up in surprise. “You can help me get a few more bottles of beer out from the fridge and then drinking them with me.”

Jessica giggled as she looked at him, “Is that all? Will I have to sit her and talk to you also?”

Michael laughed suddenly in a happier mood, “Yes, that’s a must.”

“Be right back,” Jessica said and trotted off to get the beers. When she returned minutes later, Michael had lighted some candles and placed them on the small patio table.

“How does it look?” Michael asked as he positioned the final candle in place.

Jessica turned to look at the twinkle in his eyes and murmured, “It looks perfect. Just perfect.”

Michael stared at her and said, “Just like you.”

The compliment made Jessica flush and she could feel the heat creep up to her face. She quickly took a seat and placed a beer in front of him, “Cheers.”