Chapter 17

Shadows of Love

Raymond rang the bell again and heard footsteps approach. He expected to see Tavia but instead it was Ron who greeted him. Punching his friend lightly on the arm, he teased, "Making yourself at home already?"

Ron chuckled, “No. She’s in the kitchen cooking. Come in, let me get you something to drink.”

Raymond took a seat at the sofa and looked around the living room. It was small and cozy and yet with the sparse furnishing, the room looked perfect. Ron walked out of the kitchen with a bottle of beer and handed it to him. He took a swig and said, “I couldn’t believe it when you told me that Tavia was cooking.”

Ron couldn’t help but smile, “We’re her guinea pigs. So no matter how bad it tastes, don’t hurt her feelings.”

Raymond looked at Ron with a comical expression and asked, “Would I do that to your girlfriend?”

“Yes, you would!” Ron declared and laughed. Just then they heard keys rattling in the lock. The men looked at each other in wonder and Raymond asked, “Are you guys expecting anyone else?” Before Ron could answer, Charmaine walked in.

She was just as surprised and stood in place, with her hand still on the door knob, looking at them suspiciously, “How did you guys get into my apartment?”

Ron recovered from the shock and uttered, “Tavia….”

Charmaine didn’t let him finish and called out her name, “Tavia!”

Tavia rushed out of the kitchen with a spatula in hand, “What? What happened?”

Seeing Charmaine’s stern expression, Tavia giggled, realizing what she forgotten to do, “Sorry Charmaine, I forgot to call and let you know.”

Ron looked at the two women but directed his question at Tavia, “You two live together?”

Tavia smiled sheepishly and blushed. She walked next to Ron and timidly said, “Actually, I don’t live here. This is her apartment but I come here all the time.”

Ron turned to look at Raymond, who had his eyes fixed on Charmaine. This was not good at all, he thought. He smiled apologetically at Charmaine and grabbed Raymond’s arm, “Let’s go.”

Before Tavia could protest, Charmaine said, “Don’t leave on my account,” startling Ron and Raymond. She turned to Tavia, “Next time, let me know in advance so I won’t be caught off guard.”

“Promise,” Tavia said and returned to the kitchen leaving Ron and Raymond feeling awkward.

They didn’t have to feel that way for long because Charmaine said, “I’ll leave you guys to continue whatever you were doing.” She then headed down the corridor and into her room.

Raymond got up and made to follow but Ron pushed him back down onto the couch. “Where do you think you’re going?” he asked testily.

“To talk to her,” Raymond growled, brushing Ron’s hand aside.

“Don’t do it” Ron pleaded as he barred his way. “How many times do I have to tell you to just leave her alone. She’s over you already.”

Raymond shook his head, “No, she’s not. I know she isn’t. There are things that I can’t tell you about us.”

“Give it up,” Ron said with annoyance. “Don’t dig up the past anymore.”

Raymond stared at his friend and said heatedly, “Why don’t you want me to get back with Charmaine? Since when have you started getting involved with my personal problems.”

“I’m not. I just feel that you won’t be happy with the end result,” Ron implored.

Raymond smiled gingerly then, “On the contrary, I’m certain I’ll be happy with the results. Because no matter what, in the end she and I will be together.”

Ron didn’t make any further comments as he watched his friend walked towards the corridor. The buzz of the door bell stalled Raymond from going any further. He watched Ron get up to open the door. When the door was opened, he was angered to see Joe.

Joe stared at the two as he made his way in and demanded, “What are you guys doing here?” as Charmaine came out from her room. Charmaine took Joe’s hand and said, “Tavia is borrowing my kitchen and invited them over for dinner. I didn’t mind since we’re going out anyway.”

Joe relaxed hearing her explanation and asked tenderly, “Are you ready to go?”

“Yes but let me remind Tavia to clean up,” Charmaine said and went into the kitchen.

Again, Joe found Raymond staring after Charmaine and it bothered him a lot. He walked to stand in front of Raymond, blocking his line of vision. He used his index finger and jabbed at Raymond’s chest, “I’m warning you for the last time, don’t try anything on my girlfriend.”

Raymond met his gaze unflinchingly and said through clenched teeth, “Don’t threaten me.” Instead of answering, Joe turned away but Raymond called his attention back, “And another thing, she won’t be your girlfriend for long.”

Joe glared at Raymond and opened his mouth to say something but stopped when he saw Charmaine. Turning his back on Raymond in dismissal, he held his arm out to her, “Let’s go.”

Charmaine nodded and glanced briefly at Raymond and Ron to mutter a goodbye. When the door closed behind them, Raymond saw the look on Ron’s face and warned, “Don’t say a word.”