Chapter 38

Shadows of Love

Jessica hurried into the café where Joe was waiting. She stopped at the table and looked down at him with concern, “Is everything alright?” she asked as she searched his face.

Joe smiled reassuringly at her and stood up to pull a chair out for her, “Of course. Why wouldn’t it be?”

Jessica was taken aback by his answer, “In your message, you sounded rather rushed. I thought something had happened.”

Joe laughed softly, “Sorry about that. When I left the message I had just had an argument with a stranger over a parking space. You can imagine the mood I was in.”

Jessica giggled, “Oh good. I thought something drastic had happened.” She took a sip of her water and looked at Joe, “So what did you call me out for?”

Joe waited till the waitress bought over their drinks before answering. Jessica missed the look that he shared with the waitress. He placed a tall glass of orange juice in front of her, “I hope you don’t mind but I already ordered for you. Orange juice right?”

Jessica smiled, “Yup, you sure pay attention to the minor details.” She bought the glass to her lips and took a small sip of the juice.

Joe sat back in his chair, “Did you hear the great news?”

Jessica was stumped as to what he was referring to, “What news?”

“So you don’t know then,” he smiled and rested his elbows on the table, “Raymond and Charmaine are getting married.”

Jessica looked at Joe with sympathy and was about to say something comforting when Joe stopped her.

“I’m happy for them,” he said but when Jessica remained silently looking at him, he continued, “Alright, I’m a bit upset but I’ll get over it. As long as Charmaine is happy then I’m happy.”

Jessica gave Joe a bright smile and said, “I’m glad that you’re taking it well.”

Joe lifted his glass, “Let’s make a toast to them.” He waited for Jessica to pick up her own glass, “May they live a life full of happiness.” He brought his glass to his lips but didn’t drink as he watched out of the corner of his eyes as Jessica gulped down half of the juice. When she replaced the glass onto the table Joe noted that her eyes were beginning to look daze. With feigned concern he asked, “Are you okay?”

Jessica rubbed her temples and said softly, “I don’t know. I feel kind of dizzy.”

Joe got up quickly to her side, “Come on, let me take you home.”

Jessica nodded and felt her knees wobble as Joe helped her up from the seat. “I don’t feel so good.”

Joe grabbed her purse and assisted her out the café. On his way out, he gave a curt nod to the waitress. Outside on the street, he helped Jessica into his car, which was parked directly outside the café. A couple of hundred dollars assured him that space. He gently placed Jessica on the passenger seat and buckled the seatbelt, “I’ll get you home in no time.”

Jessica leaned back against the headrest and murmured something inaudible.

Joe was immensely pleased with the result. The café that they came out from was actually part owned by him. The waitress was the girlfriend of one of his men, which made the entire process so much easier. He had told her to slip the pill into Jessica’s drink and she did so with no questions. The pill wasn’t going to harm Jessica in any way. It was only a sleeping pill but since he only gave her half of it, it wouldn’t knock her out completely, at least not yet. He wanted her to be semi-conscious when he brought her home. That way, they could avoid any suspicions from her building security guard.

When they entered Jessica’s apartment, he lifted her up in his arms. She had already passed out in the elevators. He carried her into the bedroom and dropped her dead weight onto the bed without care. He rummaged through her bag for her cell phone and scrolled for Charmaine’s number. With a smile, he hit the send button and waited for Charmaine to pick up.

“Hello?” Charmaine’s voice came over loud and clear.

“Charmaine, it’s me Joe. Something has happened to Jessica and I don’t know what to do,” Joe said urgently into the phone.

“What? What happened?” Charmaine asked anxiously.

“I don’t know how to explain it. Can you come over to Jessica’s place and give me a hand?”

“A hand in what?” Charmaine persisted, “What happened to Jessica?”

“I think she’s hung over,” Joe said, “We were having dinner and all of a sudden she started feeling dizzy. I’m not sure if it’s because she had a little too much to drink. I don’t know what to do. Can you come over quick?”

“I’ll be there in ten minutes,” Charmaine said and then she disconnected her phone.

Joe placed Jessica’s phone back into her bag and left her bedroom closing the door behind him. He had ten minutes to get things ready for Charmaine. With a chuckle he walked to the living room.