Chapter 33

Shadows of Love

Ron opened his door and was surprised to see that it was Michael, “Come in. What brings you here?”

Michael took in Ron’s crumpled clothes, untidy hair and said, “You look like a mess!”

Ron gave Michael a slight smile and ran his hand through his unkempt hair, “Haven’t been going out much so no need to groom myself.”

Taking the can of beer that Ron offered, Michael pulled the tab opened and said, “Tavia will be calling you soon.”

“Really?” Ron asked hopefully. “She’s not mad at me anymore?”

Michael smiled and after taking a drink from the can and said, “She was really mad but then I told her that I was the one who set up Raymond years ago and that you were just following my orders.”

Ron was perplexed asked warily, “Why would you take the blame for it?”

Michael leaned forward in his chair and looked at Ron, “Because Tavia loves you. It’s killing her to know that you did something that despicable. So I told her that I was the one behind it and you had no choice but to follow my orders.”

Ron looked questioningly at Michael, “I still don’t understand why you would take the blame for it. You didn’t have to get involved.”

Michael chuckled and he patted Ron on the knee, “I don’t want to see Tavia unhappy. And that’s how she’s been since learning about it. Tavia is like a sister to me. I want you two to make up and go back to how things were before this whole mess came to place.”

Ron was grateful to Michael but was still doubtful, “That doesn’t mean Tavia would forgive me for my part in it. Besides, I feel bad that she’s mad at you now instead.”

“She will forgive you,” Michael assured. “As for me, don’t worry. She won’t stay mad at me for long. After all, I’m her god-brother. As a matter of fact, we had breakfast this morning and she’s back to her usual self.”

Ron clasped Michael’s hand and said, “Thanks so much for doing this Michael. I owe you one.” Then a thought occurred to Ron, “But what about Raymond? Is she going to tell him and Charmaine?”

“No, she promised that she’s going to let the entire thing drop.” Michael’s face turned serious as he looked intently at Ron, “And as for owing me, you can pay me back by making Tavia happy from now on.” He paused a moment then said, “And don’t do anything that reckless and stupid again. I don’t think I can bail you out the next time.”

Ron’s response was only a noncommittal smile.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tavia walked into the café and saw Charmaine standing by the counter writing into a ledger. “Hi.”

Charmaine was happy to see Tavia and gave her a hug, “Where have you been? You haven’t been around lately?”

Tavia smiled and took a seat, “I’ve been busy,” she lied. The truth was she didn’t how to face Charmaine after finding out what Ron did to her and Raymond.

Charmaine brought out a cup of coffee and sat down, “Where’s Ron? You two are always together. Strange that he’s not with you now.”

“He’s busy,” Tavia said bending her head to sip the coffee. “Enough about me. What about you? How are you and Raymond doing?”

Charmaine giggled and said excitedly, “We’re great! Never been better. In fact, he should be here any minute now.”

“I’m glad that you two were able to find each other again after all these years,” Tavia said earnestly. “True love is rare and hard to find.”

Charmaine smiled, “You’re absolutely right about that. I never stopped loving him. Even when I was with Joe, I kept thinking about Raymond. Is this what you call fate?”

Tavia looked at Charmaine and asked quietly, “You’ve forgiven him for what he did?”

A shadow crossed her face but then Charmaine smiled again, “Yes I did. I guess it’s because I really love him. But he promised me that it won’t ever happen again. He even quit drinking so that he won’t make that mistake again.”

“Have you ever wondered who sent that text message?” Tavia asked softly as she studied Charmaine’s face.

Charmaine was taken aback by the question and said, “No. I was too furious at that time and now I don’t even care.” Tavia visibly relaxed thinking that Michael was right. She should really drop the entire thing. No sense in bringing up something that is done and over with. Charmaine caught the change in her face. “Why are you asking this?”

“N-nothing,” Tavia stammered. “You know me. I’m nosy.”

Charmaine accepted her answer then looked up as Raymond approached them. “Do you mind if Tavia joins us for dinner?”

Raymond kissed her cheek then sat down next to her, “Of course not because Ron will also be joining. He’s parking the car and should be in shortly.”

Just then the door opened again and Ron walked in. He stopped when he saw Tavia. Thinking that she still hasn’t forgiven him, he said, “I don’t think I would be joining you guys for dinner.” He turned to leave but halted when Tavia called his name.

“Why not? Do you have something more important to do than have dinner with your girlfriend?” Tavia taunted with a wide grin.

Ron turned back and smiled at Tavia. In a firm voice he said, “Nothing is more important than my girlfriend.”