Chapter 15

Shadows of Love

The street was crowded with pedestrians but that didn’t bother Jessica. She had just bought four bags of clothes at very much discounted price so that put her in a happy mood. She didn’t realize how late it was until her stomach rumbled with hunger. Having been out shopping since 11:00 am, she didn’t stop for a bite to eat or even a drink. She saw a juice stand at the corner and with bags in tow scrambled her way towards it. She waited as the teen threw in slices of mango and peach along with, to her annoyance, a huge quantity of ice cubes into the blender. She opened to protest but was cut short.

“You shouldn’t be adding that much ice to the fruit. For the prices, we pay for these smoothies, it should be all fruit and nothing else.”

Jessica turned and saw Michael, smiling at her with a cheeky grin. The teen quickly nodded her head and threw in only fruits into another blender.

Jessica smiled at Michael with gratitude, “Thanks.”

Michael took out his wallet and paid for the drink not giving Jessica a chance to argue. With drink in hand, she followed Michael to the curb, “What are you doing here?”

She looked down at her bags as if to ask ‘isn’t it obvious’. “You know how much women love to shop.”

“Yes but I didn’t realize how much. Looking at your bags, I would say you bought out the entire store.”

Jessica giggled, “Almost,” she joked.

Michael opened the passenger door of his car, “Let me drive you home.”

Jessica glanced at her watch, “I’m meeting Tavia. We’re having dinner together tonight.”

Leaning against the side of his car, Michael asked, “Where are you meeting her? Let’s go together. I’m sure she won’t mind.”

Jessica was delighted with the suggestion and gave him another warm smile. “We’re meeting here and I actually see her coming this way.”

Michael turned towards the direction of her gaze and smiled as he saw Tavia and Ron walking together. “Good thing I invited myself. Even things out a bit, don’t you think?” he winked at her.

The wink made her feel dizzy and good thing she was leaning against a pole. It would be quite embarrassing if she were to fall on her face in front of him. “Yes,” she mumbled.

Tavia was among them in a matter of seconds. She looked at Michael with surprise, “What are you going here?”

Putting an arm around her shoulders, he said, “I just got out from a meeting around here and bumped into Jessica.”

“In that case you might as well join us for dinner,” Tavia said. Michael and Jessica share an amused look which caused Tavia to eye them curiously, “What?”

Michael squeezed her shoulders and said, “I already invited myself.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Joe walked into Charmaine’s café and saw Charmaine standing behind the counter staring blankly ahead. Quietly, he walked up to her and still she showed no sign that she was aware of his presence. Joe bent his head to peer at her, “Charmaine?”

“Huh,” Charmaine looked up and found Joe looking at her with concern. “I didn’t hear you come in.”

“Are you okay?” he asked, noting the dark circles under her eyes, “Couldn’t sleep again?”

Charmaine attempted to smile, but found it to be an effort, “Yes. I’m tired.”

Joe walked behind the counter and came up behind her. He took her hand and led her to a chair and gestured for her to sit. When she was seated, he began massaging the tension out of her neck and shoulders.

Charmaine closed her eyes and tried to relax but she couldn’t. Every time her eyes were closed, images of Raymond pops into her head and it was driving her crazy. She lifted her hand and stopped Joe, “Give me a few minutes while I clean up and close down.”

Joe smiled and helped her up, “I’ll help myself to some of your delicious coffee while I wait. That is if there’s still any left.”

Charmaine smiled genuinely and said, “I’ll make a fresh pot for you.”

Joe caught her hand, “Don’t bother. I’m not the kind of guy who would make my girlfriend work when she’s tired.”

Instead of answering, Charmaine only smiled then headed towards the back to clean up.

Joe checked his messages while he waited for Charmaine. When she was finally done, he stood up and saw that she still had her apron on underneath her coat, “You forgot to take that off,” he pointed at the stark white fabric.

Charmaine looked down and swiftly remove her coat. When the apron was off, she absently threw it onto a table and got into her coat again. She missed the top button and only when she was at the end did she realize her mistake.

Joe came forward and removed her hands. He undid each button and with precision, re-buttoned each one. “What are you thinking of?”

Charmaine turned from his searching gaze and murmured, “Nothing. Let’s go.”

Joe followed her out without further questioning. He knew something was on her mind and he intended to find out what it was.