Chapter 36

Shadows of Love

They walked into the restaurant together and found their friends waiting. Raymond pulled a chair out for Charmaine and sat down. He took Charmaine’s hand and looked at Ron and Tavia with a gleam in his yes, “We have good news to announce today.”

“Congratulations!” Tavia exclaimed as she jumped up from her seat to walk around the table and gave Charmaine a hug. “I’m happy for you.”

“How did you know?” Raymond asked perplexed because he hasn’t even said a word about it.

With her arms wrapped around Charmaine’s shoulders, Tavia smiled impishly at Raymond over Charmaine’s head, “I can tell by the glow on her face.” She then looked down at Charmaine and winked. “So when is the big day?”

Charmaine smiled at Raymond then said, “We’re not having a big wedding. Just close friends and family for dinner. We’re hoping sometime next month.”

“That’s great news!” Ron added as he patted Raymond on the arm, “It’s about time you got married!”

Raymond turned to Charmaine and softly said, “I have all I want now.”

Tavia returned to her seat, her eyes on Ron, “Don’t you have something to tell them?”

Both Raymond and Charmaine looked at Ron expectedly while Ron fidgeted in his seat. “Well, it can wait. I don’t want to spoil your great news.”

Tavia expelled an annoyed huffed as she glared at Ron, “It’s now or never.”

Judging Ron’s expression, Raymond knew it was serious, “What is it? Are you in some sort of trouble? You know I’ll help you with anything.”

Ron faced the couple and said apologetically, “I don’t know where to begin.” He looked at Tavia and when he saw her encouraging smile, he surged ahead, “I’ve done something to hurt you in the past. That night, four years ago, when Charmaine caught you with another woman, I set it up.”

Raymond heard what Ron said but it didn’t seem to register. Puzzled, he asked, “What are you talking about?”

“I drugged you Raymond. That’s why you were all over that woman. Then I sent a text message to Charmaine to catch you in the act. I wanted you guys to break up.”

Raymond stared at Ron and quietly asked, “Why did you do that? What did you have to gain by it?”

Instead of pushing the responsibility onto Michael as Tavia expected him to, Ron said, “We were just starting to get ahead in the game and was being recognized. I was afraid that Charmaine might get in the way.”

Raymond’s face turned hard as he stared coldly at Ron and bit out, “Because of you, I almost lost Charmaine.”

Ron grasped Raymond’s arm across the table and pleaded, “Look, I’m sorry. I really am. I didn’t know. I’m telling you this now because this secret has been eating me up. Not one day goes by that I don’t regret what I’ve done.”

Raymond flung Ron’s hand away and said icily, “Why are you even telling me this now? After so many years.”

Ron cast his eyes down and said, “I want to get it off my chest.” He then looked at Raymond beseechingly, “Ray, we’ve been friends since kids, please don’t be angry with me. I’m really sorry about it. Can you forgive me for it?”

Raymond stood up and glared at Ron, “No.” That single word was like a blow to Ron. Before Ron had a chance to respond, Raymond had already left.

Ron watched Raymond’s retreating back helplessly then noticed that Charmaine was still in her chair. He looked at her uncertainly, “I’m sorry.”

Charmaine smiled softly at him, “Don’t worry, I’ll talk to him.”

Ron was shocked by her attitude. He thought she would be furious with him, just like Raymond. Instead, she was sitting here and smiling warmly at him. “Aren’t you mad at me too?”

Charmaine’s smile wavered and she hesitated for a moment, “No, I’m not. Perhaps if I had found out then I would be.” She turned to look lovingly at Tavia, “I learned how important true friends are and I sort of understand why you did it. So, no I’m not mad at you.”

Ron sighed as he looked gloomily at her, “Thanks for forgiving me but I still lost my best friend.”

Charmaine got up then, “I’ll talk to him. Don’t think about it too much.” She gave Ron a hug and then kissed Tavia on the cheek, “I’ll talk to you later.”