Chapter 8

Shadows of Love

Charmaine and Tavia walked arm in arm down the busy street. Peddlers were everywhere and so were all the office people who were out for lunch. Tavia turned to look at Charmaine, who hasn’t been her usual self for the past several days. As she looked at her friend now, she noticed that she seemed a bit dazed, her mind lost in thought, “Something on your mind?” she asked.

Charmaine was startled by the question and managed to smile, “Of course not. Why would you think that?”

Tavia looked ahead and said, “Because I called your name several times and you didn’t respond.”

“You did? I’m sorry. I guess I wasn’t paying attention,” Charmaine said. She hasn’t been paying attention to anything since seeing Raymond that night. She thought she had finally put Raymond behind her and he shows up again. Although it was unintentionally, nevertheless seeing him again brought on the feelings that she fought so hard to forget. She was now with Joe and Raymond probably didn’t remember her or his infidelity. To him, she was just another woman in his long list of conquests. And even if he did remember her and wanted to resume their relationship, Charmaine would have turned him down flat. She barely survived the last time and if it weren’t for Tavia, she would never have gotten through the heartbreak and made a new life for herself.

“You’ve been acting weird ever since the night of the ball.” Tavia stopped and clutched Charmaine’s arm and anxiously asked, “Did something happen afterwards? Did Joe try something on you?”

“No!” Charmaine cried out hurriedly. “Joe is a gentleman. He would never do anything of that sort.”

Tavia was relieved and it showed on her face. Then she frowned, “Then what’s bothering you?”

Charmaine sighed and debated whether to tell Tavia the truth. Tavia was her best friend and she had done nothing but support Charmaine during the toughest time of her life. Even if Tavia wasn’t able to help, at least sharing her feelings would ease her burden a bit. “Remember how we first met?”

Tavia remembered that night very clearly. She was a volunteer worker at the County hospital. Her shift was about to end when the paramedics rushed in a female who lost a lot of blood. The emergency workers stated that the female had slashed her wrist in a suicide attempt. Tavia recalled the pale, lifeless face of Charmaine and it gave her goose bumps. What a pity, she thought. Someone so young shouldn’t end their life just like that. When Charmaine was stable enough, they transferred her into the recovery unit. Tavia had taken to visiting with Charmaine on a daily basis, trying to convince her that nothing is worth ending her life for. At first, Charmaine ignored Tavia, letting her prattle on and on. After a few weeks, Charmaine started to respond. A few more days passed and Charmaine was opening up to Tavia and the two had become good friends. Charmaine had told her what caused her to act out so desperately but refrained from mentioning the name of her boyfriend. Tavia didn’t probe but listened with compassion. That was what Charmaine needed at that time, a friend. With Tavia by her side offering unconditional support, Charmaine slowly recovered. Now, Tavia looked at Charmaine with a baffle expression, “Why are you bringing that up?”

Charmaine felt the heartache all over again as she spoke, “I saw HIM again.”

Tavia was astounded and asked, “Him? As in the guy who cheated on you? The guy that you were crazy about and almost ended your life for?”

Turning away so that Tavia couldn’t see the tears burning in her eyes, Charmaine said, “Yes.” Charmaine didn’t understand why she was having all these emotions where Raymond was concerned. She should hate him for what has happened. Instead, she feels an emptiness that has never been filled since that night.

Tavia turned Charmaine around so that she could see her face and what she saw made her ask, “You’re planning on getting back with him?”

“Of course not,” Charmaine said. “I’m with Joe now and Joe has been nothing but loving towards me.”

Tavia nodded and accepted her answer. “I’m glad to hear that. Although I don’t know Joe that well but anyone is better than that cheating ex boyfriend of yours.”

Charmaine knew that Tavia was right. Linking her arm with Tavia’s, Charmaine said, “Let’s continue shopping.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raymond and Joe waited in the old abandoned warehouse while Ron kept watch outside. The buyer should be here any minute and if things go smoothly, there’ll be more opportunities for them in the very near future. Raymond perched on top of a wooden crate watching Joe pace in front of him. “Would you sit back? Your pacing is beginning to get on my nerves.”

Joe stopped and lifted the corners of his mouth in what seemed to be a mock smile, “My pacing bothers you? I thought it was more than that.”

Raymond stared at Joe with disdain, “Everything about you bothers me and if it wasn’t for business I wouldn’t waste my time here with you.”

Joe laughed snidely, “The feeling is mutual. For the next shipment, I’ll go on my own.”

“We’ll leave that up to Michael to decide,” Raymond said firmly.

Joe laughed again and looked at Raymond with a bemused expression. His cell phone rang. He took the phone out of his pocket and viewed the caller ID. With his back to Raymond he flipped open the phone and tenderly greeted, “Hi Charmaine.” Raymond heard her name and sat upright trying to listen in on the conversation. Joe spoke softly into the phone but Raymond could still make out what he was saying. Joe ended the call with, “See you tonight.” When Joe turned around again, he found Raymond looking at him with apprehension. “What are you looking at?”

Raymond turned away and said in a business manner, “No personal calls during a transaction. That’s the number one rule of the game.”

Joe leaned back against a row of crates and said sarcastically, “Please forgive my ignorance. I’ll never do it again.”

Raymond heard the sarcasm in his tone and ignored it. Not that he was afraid of Joe. He was more interested in something else. Trying to sound casual, he asked, “I see you have a girlfriend now. Would that mean you have finally put our past differences behind?”

“May be and may be not. Does it matter? We don’t like each other so let’s leave it at that. If it wasn’t for the sake of business, I wouldn’t have let Michael insist on you coming along with me.”

Raymond was seething inside having to talk nicely to Joe. He forced himself to smile, “I would have thought that having such a lovely girlfriend would lighten up your personality.”

Joe turned hard eyes on Raymond and sneered, “Get to the main point. You’re interested in my girlfriend aren’t you?”

Instead of flinching from his accusation, Raymond met his gaze, all pretense gone, “So what if I am? Are you afraid of losing to me again?”

Raymond expected Joe to go ballistic by his comment but instead he laughed heartily, “Afraid? Not with Charmaine.” He turned and looked smugly at Raymond, “You could try all you want but I have confidence in my girlfriend.”

Raymond didn’t know why but he felt the words like a blow to his stomach. Turning away from Joe, he discontinued any further conversations.