Chapter 18

Shadows of Love

Charmaine dragged along behind Tavia with a not so happy expression. She didn't want to come to the dinner but Tavia insisted that she do so. Joe had asked her to attend as well and she had declined faking a headache but Tavia wasn't so easily put off. She gave her all the excuses she could think of but Tavia was adamant about her going. Normally, she wouldn't mind doing something she didn't want to just to please Tavia. But tonight's dinner would mean seeing Raymond again. Charmaine didn't want to do that. She still hasn't forgotten their last encounter at the park. The more she sees of him, the more her emotions are in jeopardy.

Tavia turned back to look at Charmaine, “Would you mind hurrying a bit? I’m sure everyone is waiting for us.”

Charmaine gave her friend a glare, “I told you I don’t want to go. Why do you insist?”

Tavia smiled, ignoring Charmaine’s glare, “Because I want your company. Come on, we’re here already. So stop scowling and put on that pretty smile of yours.” Charmaine made a half attempt of a smile which caused Tavia to laugh. “Not convincing but still good,” she commented as she pulled Charmaine behind her into the restaurant.

Charmaine followed in and saw Michael and Jessica already seated at the round table. To Michael’s right was a vacant seat, which Tavia was heading towards, since Ron was next to that seat. Raymond was seated on the other side of Ron and looked up when he saw her. Joe was on Jessica’s left and next to him was another vacant seat, hers she knew. Oh no, Charmaine thought. She was stuck sitting next to Raymond. How will she be able to endure the next two hours.

Joe got up from his chair and took her hand, “How are you feeling?”

Charmaine smiled weakly at him, “Much better.”

Joe squeezed her hand and pulled her forward. When she was seated, he poured her a cup of hot tea and said, “No wine for you tonight.”

Charmaine smiled and teased, “Yes Doctor.”

Joe pinched her nose and said, “Now that’s a good patient.”

Raymond, who sat on the other side of Charmaine, watched with open jealousy. He took the bottle of XO on his left and poured a hefty amount into his glass. Before the glass touched his lips, Ron’s hand shot out to stop him. He leaned in and whispered, “I don’t think you should drink tonight.”

Raymond gave Ron a hard look, which Tavia caught, and said tightly, “It’s none of your business. Leave me alone.”

Ron knew better than to argue. With great reluctance, he slowly removed his hand. Tavia who saw the exchange pulled Ron to her side, “What’s wrong with Raymond?”

Ron smiled despite the anxiety he was feeling, “Nothing is wrong. I just don’t want him drinking because he’s driving tonight.”

“Oh,” Tavia exclaimed. With the incident forgotten, she turned back to resume her conversation with Michael and Jessica.

As the dishes were brought out one by one, the group chatted quietly among themselves. Joe was forever the attentive boyfriend, only turning to Michael to respond to questions being directly aimed at him. The waiter next brought out lamb chops and began the process of dividing the servings onto their individual plates. Joe lifted Charmaine’s plate to the waiter but Raymond stopped him midway and said, “She doesn’t like lamb.” He then turned to Charmaine and without taking his eyes off of her inquired softly, “Am I right?”

Joe flicked an annoyed glance at Raymond and turned to Charmaine, “Is that right?”

Avoiding Raymond’s eyes, Charmaine smiled sweetly at Joe, “Yes, I must have forgotten to tell you.”

Joe replaced her plate and gave Raymond an icy look before turning his attention back to Charmaine. “I’m sure you told me. It must have slipped my mind.”

Charmaine continued to smile at Joe, happy that he was not going to pursue any further, “Why don’t you have my portion?”

Joe took her hand and kissed the knuckles. He cast a glimpse at Raymond and found him still looking at Charmaine with an expression that went much deeper than mere casual interest. Joe slid closer to Charmaine and draped his arm across her shoulder.

Raymond was incensed by the simple action and knew that Joe was silently declaring Charmaine as his possession. He looked directly at Joe and saw the smug smile.

Joe felt Raymond's eyes on him and lifted his eyes to meet his. In a tone full of mockery, he asked, “Is something bothering you Raymond? You look like you want to kill someone."

Raymond turned abruptly away and poured more liquor into his empty glass. Charmaine could feel the tension between the two men, especially from Raymond. She knew that he was upset and seething with anger.

Suddenly, the door was thrown open and a herd of men came rushing in with knives. Raymond jumped from his seat and grabbed Charmaine, pushing her behind him while he punched and kicked at the slew of attackers. An attacker managed to cut Raymond on the arm, causing him to wince with pain. Charmaine shivered as she watched the blood ooze from his wound as Raymond kept on blocking one blow after the other.

Joe was fending off several men at once and he seemed to be faring well. Michael and Ron had Jessica and Tavia in a corner and were standing guard in front of them. More men piled into the room, only they were Michael’s men. The attackers quickly fled with Michael’s men hot on pursuit.

Raymond turned around to face Charmaine. He ignored his injured arm and with concern, he patted her from head to toe, making sure for himself that she was unharmed. When he found no trace of any cut or bruise on her, he hugged her tightly to him and breathed into her ear, “Thank God nothing happened to you.”

Charmaine remained motionless in his arms and felt the shocked eyes of the others on them. Joe! She scanned the room for him and found his crumpled form on the floor. He was lying face down and wasn’t moving. She broke away from Raymond and screamed, “Joe!”