Chapter 31

Shadows of Love

Ron took his cup of coffee from the counter and sat down at a table by the kitchen. He was about to bite into his bagel when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He looked up and frowned when he saw who the uninvited person was. Turning back to his bagel he said gruffly, “What do you want?”

Joe grinned and took a seat opposite of Ron, “Why the rudeness? We have nothing against each other.”

Ron bit into his bagel and chewed mechanically ignoring Joe.

“You and Raymond are best friends right?” Joe asked, but it was more of a statement than a question. He chuckled softly when there was still no response from Ron. In a singsong tune, he said, “I wonder how Raymond would react if he found out that you were the cause of his break up with Charmaine four years ago?”

Ron stopped chewing and turned hard eyes on Joe, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Joe leaned in and said conspiratorially, “You know what I’m talking about.” He smiled tigerishly at Ron then leaned back in his chair. “The only question you need to ask is whether you want your buddy Raymond to know.”

Ron dropped his bagel onto the table and said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about and I don’t have time for this.” He got up and was about to leave when Joe dropped something onto the table with a loud clang. Ron looked at the small device not understanding its purpose.

“Sit,” Joe ordered as he turned the power on for the video camera.

Ron stood fixed eyeing the video camera when he began hearing voices coming out from it. It was his voice! Quickly, he grabbed the video camera and what he saw paralyzed him. It was him and Tavia talking on the street. Listening intently to the conversation he remembered it as the time when he confessed the awful truth of what he did to Raymond to her. Flabbergasted, Ron asked, “How did you get this?”

Joe chuckled and reached up to retrieve his camera. “Next time, don’t make any confessions on a public street. You don’t know who might be around to eavesdrop.”

“You low down…” Ron cursed but stopped when Joe waved the camera in front of him.

“Sit,” Joe ordered again but Ron made no move to do so. “Maybe I should just bring this straight to Raymond. I bet Raymond would be mighty pissed off to learn that his best friend was the one who set him up. Not to mention because of the break up Charmaine attempted suicide and almost died.” Taking a breath, Joe smiled wickedly at Ron, “Do you think he would forgive you?”

Ron clenched his fists as he sat obediently down, “What do you want from me?”

Joe smiled knowing that he had Ron in a corner with no where to run, “I want your cooperation.” He looked straight into Ron’s brooding eyes and said, “You are going to help me get Charmaine back.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raymond awoke and stretched his arm out to find the place beside him empty. He glanced at the clock. It was already late morning. He swung his legs over the bed and squinted at the sunlight peeping from the partially opened blinds. With a smile he opened the bedroom door and walked into the hallway. The smell of bacon and eggs filled the space. He could hear Charmaine humming in the kitchen. Carefully, he tiptoed towards her and smoothly brought his arms around her tiny waist, “Good morning,” he said cheerfully.

Charmaine continued her task but turned her head quickly to give him a quick peck on the cheek, “How did you sleep last night?”

Raymond snuggled closer to her and dropped his head on top of hers, “Like a baby because I have a warm and lovable oversized teddy bear to cuddle with.”

She giggled at the endearing comment and said, “Breakfast is almost done. Go and wash up.”

Raymond kissed her head then vanished into the bathroom. Ten minutes later he emerged feeling refreshed. Breakfast had already been laid out on the table. He took a seat just as Charmaine came out from the kitchen with a pot of coffee. “You’re spoiling me,” he stated as he pulled out the chair next to him.

Charmaine laughed and sat down. She poured coffee into his mug and said, “Well I’m just paying you back for pampering me. So let’s call it even.”

Raymond laughed at her reasoning and lifted her chin up with his fingers, “I like waking up in the morning and seeing you.”

Charmaine stared dreamingly into his eyes and said, “The feeling is mutual. Let’s eat before the food gets cold.”

When they were finished eating and the plates have been washed and put away, Raymond turned to Charmaine, “Do you feel like going for a walk?”

Charmaine smiled in answer and followed him out of the apartment.

They walked to a nearby park and sat down on one of the benches. Together they watched the children play on the swings and slides.

Raymond picked up her hand and said, “I’ve never been so happy in my life.”

Charmaine turned teasing eyes on him, “Never? As in ever?”

Raymond laughed at the direction of her question, “Except all those times with you. Every minute with you I’m happy.”

Charmaine leaned her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes, “Me too. I never thought I would see you again. And I thought even if I did, you’ll probably have someone else in your life by now.”

Raymond rubbed his cheek against her head, “There can never be anyone else but you. Even the time when we were apart, you were still constantly on my mind. No one can ever take your place in my heart.”

Charmaine smiled to herself at his admission and breathe in his male scent, which seem to intoxicate her senses, “Raymond?”

He lifted his head to look down at her and what he saw made his heart swell, “Yes?” he asked shakily as he kept his eyes on her.

Charmaine looked straight up at him and breathed, “I love you.”

Raymond smiled blissfully just before he captured her lips in a fiery kiss.