Shock

A Frozen Heart

 

 

    The great prison of Gyodoso once held many prisoners. Its large cells and iron bars had housed hundreds of human captures from the Great War and many elven criminals as well. Gyodoso was vast and winding, made up of different levels for different crimes, the most serious locked away at the very bottom of the twisting spiral. But, it had been centuries since any elf or human had committed a crime serious enough to get them locked away in Gyodoso. All the cells stood empty and the levels unoccupied by even a single guard. The once great prison stood in ruins, its halls covered in dust and bars rusted through.

    Soft sobbing echoed throughout the uppermost level of Gyodoso. Here, there were two cells in use for the first time in centuries. In one sat two human men. Donghae and Kangin shared a cell near the prison’s entrance, their only view through the bars was of the cell just across the tiny stone carved passageway where two dark haired elves sat. Donghae sniffled and wiped the tears from his eyes as he gazed across the hallway at the thin auburn haired elf that was weeping loudly in his cell partner’s arms. Though, Donghae himself was frightened and on the verge of crying, he could tell the elf across the passage was in much greater pain than he was. Something terrible had happened to them and Donghae felt pity for them.

   “I wonder if HanGeng’s alright.” Donghae whispered, his eyes focused on the cell across the hall. “He’s been gone for hours.”

    “He’s probably dead,” Kangin answered bluntly from where he sat further back in the stone carved outcropping staring at the wall like a grumpy troll. “We’re next, I suppose.”

   “Don’t say that,” Donghae scolded, tearing his eyes away from the elves and onto his human friend. “HanGeng’s fine. We’re going to be fine.”

   “No we’re not,” Kangin argued, “You heard that nasty King up there, he’s furious. He probably tortured HanGeng to death and now he’s going to do the same to us. Good job, Hae, you’ve killed us all.”

    “I didn’t mean to,” Donghae sniffled, truly terrified for the first time since he’d arrived and now full of guilt as well. “I just thought…,”

    “Don’t listen to grumpy Kang Troll, you’re not going to die.”

    Head snapping around, Donghae let out a cry of relief as he observed his lost friend standing on the other side of the iron bars. HanGeng looked well, better than well actually. He was dressed in pale green elven robes, he was washed and smelled of perfume, and there was a smile on his face. Other than the two elven guards standing behind him, he almost appeared to be a freed man.

   “You’re alive!” Donghae cried out, “What happened? Are you alright?”

    “Why are you dressed like that?” Kangin added, wrinkling his nose in disgust. “You look like a girl.”

    “King Heenim had me bathed,” HanGeng admitted with a slight embarrassed blush. “He’s letting me walk freely about the palace, as long as I have guards with me. I even have my own room.”

    “What about us?” Kangin questioned, rising from the rock he’d been sitting on and approaching the bars. “Why do you get special treatment and we’re stuck in this hole?”

    “I don’t know,” HanGeng answered honestly, “I don’t understand anything that’s going on. All I know is the King’s not going to execute you, at least not yet. He’s keeping us alive for some reason.”

    “Are we going to be let out of here?” Donghae inquired hopefully.

    “Maybe?” HanGeng shrugged, “King Heenim’s not much of a sharer. He wouldn’t tell me anything. All he does is stare at me funny and glow. He’s quite beautiful up close.”

   “Oh No, don’t you go falling in love with an evil elf king,” Kangin scolded, “That thing is going to use you up and then kill you. He’s pure evil and this place is poison.”

    “I think it’s romantic,” Donghae gushed, “What if he marries the King and we all get to live here the rest of our lives? I want to marry an elf too.”

    “Stop that,” Kangin spat, “This isn’t some fairytale and these things aren’t human. They’re going to kill us!”

    “Who said we were going to kill you?” a new voice entered the conversation as a trio of fair haired elves stepped into view next to HanGeng.

    Kangin froze at the sight of the man that had spoken, his eyes going a bit wide and breathing picking up. Like King Heenim, this elf had long flowing blond hair and blue eyes, but unlike the King, who’s hair was almost white and eyes intense and piercing, this elf had golden locks and aqua eyes. His features weren’t as feminine as the King's and his gaze was warm, where the King’s had been cold. He smiled softly as he spoke and his features were punctuated by a soft dimple in his cheek. His build was small, yet bulky, as if he possessed a set of firm muscles beneath his robes. Kangin stared at the handsome creature in front of him, completely taken in by his appearance and friendly demeanor.

    “Kangin, you’re staring.” HanGeng spoke breaking Kangin out of his trance.

    “I was not,” Kangin denied, not willing to admit he’d been taken by an elf.

    “As I was saying,” the handsome elf continued to speak, “We are not going to kill you, at least if I have any say on the matter.”

   “No offense, you’re not the King. That bastard is unstable.”

   “I am Lord Leeteuk, the King’s advisor, and you should watch what you say about our leader,” the handsome elf warned. “King Heenim takes my advice very seriously and it would be in your favor not to anger me.”

   Kangin narrowed his eyes at Lord Leeteuk, less taken now that he’d been scolded. Lord Leeteuk chuckled and winked at him, his expression bright and a bit condescending. It was almost as if he was addressing a child and that angered Kangin.

    “Bastard,” Kangin cursed under his breath as Donghae spoke in a soft tone next to him.

   “What’s your name?” Donghae asked one of Lord Leeteuk’s companions, his expression awestruck as he stared through the bars.

   The elf in question flinched in response to being spoken to and backed up a couple steps. Clearly he hadn’t been paying much attention to the conversation. Donghae stared at him like a child looking at a piece of candy. Leeteuk’s companion was dressed in long ice blue robes and he had platinum blonde hair that hung down his back. It swept across his face almost covering his almond shaped eyes. He had a pronounced jawline and a thin frame. To Donghae, he was more attractive than the feminine King Heenim or the friendly Lord Leeteuk. There was something interesting about his unique features and the graceful manner in which he moved.

    “My name’s Donghae,” Donghae continued to speak.

    “Eunhyuk,” the elf in blue answered, “I’m the King’s cousin.”

    “It’s nice to meet you,” Donghae greeted, extending his hand through the bars.

    Eunhyuk looked at the hand offered to him as if he didn’t understand what to do with it. The customs of men were foreign to him. Instead of shaking Donghae’s hand, Eunhyuk poked it with his index finger and jumped back when he received a small shock in return.

    “That hurt!” Donghae whined, taking his hand back. “What was that for?”

    “I didn’t do it,” Eunhyuk answered, “You did.”

    “No I didn’t,”

    “Static?” Leeteuk offered as an explanation.

    “Can I take this one out of his cage?” Eunhyuk asked, gesturing towards Donghae as he held his injured hand against his chest. “He’s cute.”

    “You’ll have to ask King Heenim,” Lord Leeteuk answered, “But, I don’t see a problem with it. Maybe you could make him your pet or something?”

    “I am not an animal,” Donghae spat, “I’m a human being.”

    “Same difference,” The third elf in the party chuckled, his bow shaped lips turning up in a smirk.

    “Don’t be mean, Sungmin.” Lord Leeteuk scolded his friend, “Come, let’s go speak with Captain Zhoumi and leave the humans alone.”

   HanGeng sat down in front of the bars as the three elves moved to the opposite side of the hallway. He wasn’t ready to go back to his room just yet and he was worried for his friends. Donghae sat down on his side of the bars and reached out to his friend. Taking Hae’s hand, HanGeng gave the younger a reassuring smile as they eaves dropped on the conversation across the hallway.

   “How are you feeling, Captains?” Lord Leeteuk asked the two inferior elves locked away in front of him.

   “Where’s Hemi?” Zhoumi asked through sobs, “Is he safe?”

   “Kyuhyun has him,” Sungmin answered, “Don’t worry, he’ll take good care of him.”

   “Kyuhyun doesn’t know how to care for a child,” Henry pointed out, “He’s never been around children.”

   “He’ll figure it out,” Sungmin promised, “He will do his best to care for Hemi.”

   “I want to see my baby,” Zhoumi begged, “Please, Lord Leeteuk, let me see my child?”

    “I cannot,” Leeteuk denied, “King Heenim…,”

    “He’s just bitter because he has no children,” Henry huffed, “He’s angry because the inferiors are growing in number and the royals remain barren.”

    “That is not his motivation,” Leeteuk denied, “You both broke serious laws. The King cannot let that go unpunished, even if your cause was just.”

   “The humans didn’t even know I was there.” Henry tried to explain, “I was discreet.”

    “How could you be discreet when taking the things you did? There were vials of blood in those baskets.” Eunhyuk accused, “What was the blood for?”

    “I put it in the tea like the scrolls said to.” Henry answered. “I took it when they were sleeping.”

    “You drank human blood?” Eunhyuk scoffed, “That’s disgusting.”

    “What did the scrolls say the purpose of the blood was?” Leeteuk questioned in a calm manner.

    “According to the scrolls, the blood was the key to the fertility ritual. I don’t know why.”

    “Do you think the teas will work on King Heenim?” Eunhyuk asked hopefully, “Maybe if he was able to conceive a child with Leeteuk, then…,”

   “No,” Leeteuk cut off, “Heechul-ah and I are not going to have a child.”

    “Why?”

    “Having another child would do more damage than good for Heechul-ah. I will not put him through that.”

   “Another child?” Zhoumi repeated, “What are you talking about?”

   “This conversation is over,” Leeteuk dismissed, motioning for Eunhyuk and Sungmin to follow him. “Eunhyuk, go take your human pet and lets go. I’ll clear it with Heechul-ah later.”

   “Yay!” Eunhyuk beamed as he moved over to the human’s cage and motioned for one of the guards to open it. “You’re coming upstairs with me, little pet.”

   “I am not a pet,” Donghae pouted, struggling as he was jerked out of his cell and his hands were bound behind him.

   “Leave him alone!” HanGeng shouted, standing up and moving towards his friend.

   “Stay out of this, just because Heechul-ah has some kind of weird interest in you doesn’t give you any authority.” Leeteuk scolded, “Eunhyuk’s not going to hurt your friend.”

   “I just want to talk to him,” Eunhyuk clarified, “I’ve never spent much time around humans. I have questions.”

    “King Heenim is requesting the human’s presence in the garden,” a royal guard informed, appearing from down the hall and ending the argument. “Come with me.”

   HanGeng reluctantly followed the guard, glancing back at Donghae as he did so. Eunhyuk reached out to his new pet to take hold of his arm, but as soon as his fingers touched the mortal, he received another shock. Donghae squeaked in mild pain and Eunhyuk took a step back, eyes narrowed at the man in front of him.

   “I don’t think it’s static.” Eunhyuk concluded, touching Donghae once more and receiving the same reaction. “Leeteuk, are there ancient scrolls in the library that tell about humans?”

   “Yes, but they’re locked away. No one’s read them in years, since before Heenim was even born. They were written by the elven elders before they passed from this world and they’re forbidden texts.”

   “Maybe it’s time to make them unforbidden? Clearly, there are things we can learn from them. Captain Zhoumi and Henry created a child using the scrolls. What if we could have children again too? What if we can make the snow stop?”

   “Wait, you don’t know how to make the snow stop?” Donghae interrupted, “Doesn’t King Heenim control the weather?”

   “He used to.” Leeteuk informed in a sober tone. “Now, he’s just as trapped in the ice as the rest of us.”

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!