Beneath Me

A Frozen Heart

 

 

     Soft sunlight filtered in from the skylight in the center of the vast elven library of Bimil. King Heenim sat at one of the tables under the skylight sifting through stacks of papers, the dust from the ancient texts visible in the sun beams and causing his human companion to sneeze periodically. HanGeng watched Heechul work with a curious gaze. Heechul was very different today. The monarch was absorbed in his work, not looking up once from the piles of papers in front of him. His brows were furrowed and his eyes focused as he read each word carefully. Afraid Heechul may be too lost in thought, HanGeng reached out and touched the King’s shoulder, causing his skin to glow suddenly and him to flinch.

    “You’ve been reading for hours. Maybe you should take a break.”

    “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for,” Heechul dismissed, thumbing through another stack of scrolls. “There’s nothing in here about a child having two fathers. It’s not possible.”

    “Of course it’s not.” HanGeng clarified. “That’s not how it works. One per egg. That’s how it works with elves right? I mean you’re pregnant and you have a , so I’m not the best person to ask about this.”

    “Yes, that’s how it works.” Heechul chuckled, turning away from his reading to smile at the clueless human next to him. “You’re cute, Hannie.”

    “Could the child really be mine?” HanGeng asked in a soft tone, his eyes moving down to Heechul stomach and back up again. “Am I your mate?”

    “Yes,” Heechul answered with a shrug. “My power responds to you like it should with my true mate. You’re my match.”

    “You don’t seem very happy about it.” HanGeng pointed out with a pout. “I like you a lot, Heechul. Do you not like me at all? Are you ashamed of me?”

    “It’s not that simple,” Heechul began with a heavy sigh, reaching out and taking HanGeng’s hands in his before he continued. “I like you too, HanGeng. My body likes you a lot and my power loves you. My heart tells me to give in and marry you like I should my true mate, but my head is getting in the way.”

    “Why?” HanGeng asked, rubbing his thumb over the back of Heechul’s hand as he spoke and causing the King’s skin to glow brighter. “Why can’t we be together? Is it because I’m human?”
     “Yes,” Heechul answered, casting his eyes to the floor in mild shame. “What would the others think if I made a human my King? You’re less than the inferiors. You’re beneath me.”

    “Is that really how you feel?” HanGeng pressed, “Am I just some inferior creature to you? Were all those moments we spent together meaningless? Was everything you told me you felt a lie?”

   “No,” Heechul replied with a soft sob, “I love you…,”

   “Then why can’t we marry?”

    “I…, I don’t…,” Heechul stammered, searching for the right word. “There’s laws and.., I don’t know.”

    “Your King, change the laws.”

    “I can’t just change the laws. They’ve been enacted for hundreds of years. It’s our way of life, Hannie.”

    “Maybe it’s time for a change?”

    “Maybe,” Heechul agreed, “But, the laws aren’t the only reasons we can’t wed.”

    “What else is there?”

   “If this is your child, he will have no powers. An heir has to have power in order to keep his people strong and change the seasons. All elves’ powers are rooted in their King’s. If the King is powerless, so are his people.” Heechul explained, “If this child is yours, I’ll have to give him up and try to conceive a pure blooded heir with someone else.”

    “And if the child belongs to Leeteuk,”

    “Then, it will make it easier for us to wed, since I’ll already have a pure heir.” Heechul informed with a soft smile, “But, there’s still the issue of age.”

    “Age?”

    “You’re 29 years old, right?”

    “Yes,”

    “I’m 930 years old,” Heechul admitted with a soft blush. “There’s a bit of an age difference between us, don’t you think?”

    “Maybe just a bit,” HanGeng chuckled, “Are you saying I’m like a child to you?”

    “I should hope not. The things we’ve done are nothing a child should ever do.” Heechul teased, before adding in a more serious tone. “I stopped aging when my powers hit their prime at 30. You will keep aging until you die. The average life span of a human male is 70 years old. To me, that is like a week’s worth of time. I cannot let myself love you if I can only keep you with me for such a short time.”

   “But…,”

   “I hope this child isn’t yours.” Heechul stated in a shaking voice. “Not only will my son be powerless, he’ll have to live most of his life without a father. You won’t be around long enough for him to even remember you.”

    “That’s kind of morbid,” HanGeng pouted, “I’ll be an old wrinkly man and you’ll still be the same?”

    “Basically,” Heechul answered with a shrug, “I don’t know if I can handle that. I know that sounds shallow, but…,”

    “I understand,” HanGeng reassured, “But, can’t we just make the most of the time we have together?”

    “No, I think it’s best if we spent some time apart.” Heechul denied, standing up from the table. “I need time to think.”

    “Can I stay and keep sorting through the texts?”

    “Of course,” Heechul agreed, “If you need any help, Yesung can assist you.”

   HanGeng watched Heechul leave with a sad gaze. There had to be a way for them to be together, there just had to. Picking up a pile of papers, HanGeng began sorting through the contents for a miracle.

  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!