Are you in there?

A Frozen Heart

 

 

         Steam rose up from the hot water that filled the royal bath inside the King’s chambers. The tub was made of white stone and was sunken into the floor of the cold tile lined room, taking up most of the space in the center of the chamber. King Heenim’s bath was large enough to fit four or more people, but tonight only a single figure sat in the deep flower petal covered water. King Heenim was perched on the stone bench that circled the deep bath with his head leaning back against the edge where a towel was folded beneath it for support. His eyes were closed and his legs were stretched out in the water as his hands held his swollen belly.

    It was well into the King’s fourth month of pregnancy and his body was beginning to change drastically. What was at first a very slight bloat of his lower abdomen was now a round protrusion that started just below his sternum and sloped like a ball down below his pelvis. There was no denying that his was with child, even at such an early month when his stomach should not have been this big. It worried the King that he was showing so early in his pregnancy. If he was this big now, how big would he be in month nine?

    Two months had passed since he’d decided to give up on perusing HanGeng as his mate. They spent less and less time together as each week passed and it was to the point now that Heechul barely even saw his human lover. He’d thought ignoring HanGeng would be an easy task, but as each day passed, Heechul found it harder and harder not to go running to the human that had stolen his heart. There was an empty hole inside him, one that only HanGeng could fill, and his powers were starting to weaken again. The snow was taking over the garden and he had yet to create anymore plant life. His skin had also stopped glowing.

    Shutting his eyes, Heechul let the loneliness he felt sink in and sorrow fill his heart. Even though he thought he was doing this for everyone’s own good, it was still very painful for him. Support is what he needed during this trying time, but the only people he had to rely on at the moment were his servants and Onew, the palace doctor attending to his pregnancy. Leeteuk seldom came around, too distracted by his own human mate to bother with a moody and ill monarch. Heechul barely left his chambers and spent most of his days in his rooms trying not to throw-up his meals or become too irritated by everything around him. Deep down, he wished someone would come help take care of him, but he knew it was best if everyone stayed away.

   “Why am I so fat?” Heechul whined as Onew stepped inside the bathroom holding a tray full of medicines to administer to his ailing monarch. “It’s only been four months. I’m not supposed to be this huge yet.”

    “This is your second pregnancy, Sire.” Onew began to explain, kneeling down next to Heechul’s head as he spoke. “Your womb had already been stretched and altered by the first child. Because of this, you will start showing earlier than the first time.”

    “But, why am I so huge?” Heechul groaned opening his eyes and staring up at the cheerful doctor next to him. “Something doesn’t feel right.”

    “You’re not huge, Sire.” Onew reassured, “But, you are larger than most are during their fourth month.”

    “Why?”

    “It could be a multitude of things really,” Onew shrugged, “You could be eating more than you should, or your body is over compensating for the pregnancy. It could also be that you’re having multiples.”

    “Multiples?” Heechul repeated, his heart sinking a bit at the thought of caring more than one child. “Like twins?”

    “Yes,” Onew agreed, “Or more.”

    “More?” Heechul blanched, “Stop speaking nonsense. There haven’t been any elven twins in two thousand years.”

    “No, but it is possible. It would take a very power and fertile monarch to produce twins.”

    “Which I am neither,” Heechul pointed out, “Until the humans arrived, I was at my weakest. There’s no way I possess the kind of power needed to conceive multiples.”

    “But, that human of yours infused you with more power than I’ve seen you have in centuries.” Onew countered, “He caused your cycle to return and the garden to come to life. Sire, I know you fear hurting him and yourself, but I do not think ignoring HanGeng is a good idea. He is the key to bringing warmth back to the realm. I think you should reconsider seeing him again. He may be able to help strengthen you in preparation for giving birth. If you are carrying twins, this pregnancy is going to take a toll on your body that it may not be able to handle without help.”

    “I can’t,” Heechul shook his head as Onew handed him a cup of medicinal tea to drink. “I love him.”

    “Then, why keep him away?”

    “Because, he’s not like us.” Heechul began, taking a sip of tea between words. “He will age and die while we endure. I will remain in this realm while he passes on to the next. I can’t love someone who is going to leave me, Onew. It wouldn’t be fair to either of us.”

    “What’s not fair is you torturing yourself like this while he spends all day in Bimil trying to find a miracle.” Onew added, “Did you know that he’s been sorting through the ancient texts every day for the past two months trying to find a way to be with you. That man loves you, Sire. Don’t let your own stubbornness get in the way. He’s your match, bound to your for the rest of his life. You can ignore him, but he will never stop trying to be next to you.”

    “I know,” Heechul whispered, staring at the cup in his hands as he spoke. “I’m just frightened, Onew. My child hasn’t developed his powers yet. They were supposed to have formed last month, but I can’t feel anything. I think I’m carrying Hannie’s child, not Leeteuk-ah’s. If that is the case, I won’t be able to keep him. I can’t let HanGeng know that I’m going to give our child away. It’s best that he keeps his distance and doesn’t know about my condition.”

    “Sire…,”

    “Don’t tell anyone about what I have told you,” Heechul commanded, “This child will be as if he never existed, understand? I cannot have my subjects knowing that their king produced an inferior heir. After I give birth, I will try to conceive again, but with a royal elf, not a human. I might even send Hannie back to the human village. There’s no place for him here.”

    “Drink your tea and don’t think of such matters. This bath is supposed to help relax you.” Onew instructed, “I’ll send Kyuhyun to help you dress in a few minutes. Then, you need to come to the examination room for your monthly examination. Right now, try to relax, Sire. Stress is not good for the baby.”

   Waving his hand in dismissal, Heechul took another sip of his tea before sitting it on the side of the bath and shutting his eyes while Onew left the room. Running his hands over his swollen stomach, Heechul tried to connect to the child growing inside him. Even if his child was an inferior, he should still be able to feel him, right?

    “Are you in there?” Heechul mumbled to himself, flinching when he felt a slight flutter in his stomach.

    Eyes flashing open, Heechul looked down at his stomach where it stuck out of the water. He could feel movement inside him as his child kicked made himself known. The movement felt strange to him. It was as if his son was everywhere at once, kicking one side of his belly and the other simultaneously in different rhythms. The sensation was both uncomfortable and amazing at the same time. Suddenly, his wish HanGeng were here to feel it too.

     “There has to be a way..,”

     “Hnnie?” Heechul gasped upon hearing his lover’s voice float through his head. “Hannie, where are you?”

     “Why are these texts so complicated? Isn’t there a filing system in this crazy place? Why is that pink haired weirdo staring at me? He’s been staring at me for over an hour. Doesn’t he have anything better to do than watch me read?”

    Glancing about the room, Heechul tried to figure out what was happening. He could hear HanGeng’s voice inside his head, but the human was nowhere in sight. It was as if he were hearing HanGeng’s thoughts as he sat reading in the library on the other side of the palace, but that was impossible, right?

    “If he doesn’t stop looking at me, I’m going to move tables. What is his problem? Do I look like I’m going steal something?”

    Taking a deep breath, Heechul tried to move his thoughts away from HanGeng and back to his own. It felt wrong to be inside the human’s head without permission.

    “I wonder what Heechul’s doing right now? I wish he’d let me see him. I’m worried about him. Sungmin said he’s been sick lately. Heechul-ah, I love you. Please, let me see you. I need to hold you in my arms. I miss you so much.”

    “I miss you too, Hannie.” Heechul whispered, “I’m so sorry.”

    Taking his hands away from his swollen belly, HanGeng’s thoughts left Heechul’s head and he found himself alone with his own thoughts. It was clear that his child had finally made his powers known to him, making Heechul more than confident that the life growing inside him was Leeteuk’s son. Only royal children developed powers in the womb.

    “You’re telepathic,” Heechul told his unborn child, somehow relieved and saddened at the same time. “Your father is going to be so proud.”

         

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!