Father

A Frozen Heart

 

 

    A child’s soft coos filtered throughout the King’s bedroom, a sound that had never been heard in the space since Heechul was an infant himself. Zhoumi sat on a small stool next to his King as said monarch held his child in his arms and rocked him back and forth in an intricately carved white rocking chair. Henry stood next to his mate smiling at the way their king held Hemi safely in his arms and whispered soft words to the child.

   “He’s perfect,” Heechul complimented the child in his arms, “You should be proud.”

   “We’re just glad to have him back with us,” Zhoumi answered, smiling softly at his King. “I was away from my child for over a month, Sire. You can’t know how hard it is to be away from a child for so long.”

    “Believe me, I know.” Heechul whispered, tears stinging his eyes as he spoke. “I lost my own child centuries ago, Captain. You will never understand what it’s like to lose a child. Or, I hope you never will.”

    “You had a child, Sire?” Henry asked as Heechul handed Hemi back to Zhoumi.

    “I lost Wonhee before he was even born, but yes, I had a child once.” Heechul answered, “I asked you both here to apologize for how I reacted to what you’d done to conceive Hemi. Even though it was wrong of you to break the law, the reason was just and your punishment has been served in my eyes.”

    “Lord Leeteuk told us that you are with child, Sire.” Zhoumi began, “How far along are you?”

    “Two months,” Heechul replied with a smile, “That’s the second reason why I called you here. Captain Henry, could you take Hemi with you while I speak with your mate in private. I have a favor to ask of Captain Zhoumi.”

    “Of course, Sire.” Henry bowed, before taking Hemi from Zhoumi and exiting the room.

    “Shut the door, Captain, for what I need to ask of you is not for anyone’s ears but our own.”

     “Yes, Sire.” Zhoumi complied before standing and shutting the bedroom door.

     “Do you like this chair, Captain?” Heechul asked in a listless manner. “Isn’t it beautiful?”

     “It’s very nice, Sire.”

     “I had it carved when I was pregnant with Wonhee. It was supposed to go in his nursery so I could rock him to sleep at night.” Heechul explained, remembering details about his past that he had previously forgotten. “There was a matching cradle once, but I burned it the night I lost my son.”

    “I’m sorry for your loss, Sire.” Zhoumi stated, meaning every word. “I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose a child. Yes, I was away from Hemi, but he was alive and well. You must have suffered greatly.”

     “Yes, I did.” Heechul whispered, “Sit down, Captain.”

     Zhoumi took a seat on the stool next to him king and waited for the older male to speak. This was the longest conversation he’d ever had with the royal. Inferiors and the fair hair elves rarely mixed on a social level.

     “I need to know what it’s like to carry an inferior,”

    “I don’t understand,”

    “What does it feel like when the child growing inside you is inferior?” Heechul clarified, “If it is a royal child, I will be able to feel its growing powers and the connection we share as parent and child. What does it feel like if the child inside me is inferior?”

    “But, he’s not an inferior.” Zhoumi argued, “Lord Leeteuk is the father and…,”

    “I don’t know if Leeteuk-ah is the father.” Heechul admitted, “HanGeng may also be the father of my child. I slept with them both during my fertile period. Either of them could be the father of my child.”

    “How is that possible? HanGeng is a human.”

    Taking a deep breath, Heechul relayed the information about inferiors found in the ancient texts. He told Zhoumi of the history of his people and why their status was like it was now. Zhoumi listened quietly, taking in the information with a blank expression he’d perfected as a guard captain.

     “I will need your help if my child is inferior,” Heechul explained, “I do not know what ti expect of an inferior pregnancy and you are the only living elf to have gone through one in decades.”

     “What will you tell the people when their future king is born with dark hair?”

     “I will tell them that I lost another child and they will have to wait for another heir to be born. I cannot let any know that I conceived a lesser elf. The people will see me as weak and there may be an uprising.”

     “You would put your child to death for being lesser?” Zhoumi gaped, “Sire, you can’t..,”

     “No, I would not harm my child.” Heechul clarified, “If I do not feel my child’s emerging powers in the next month, I will need you to tell others that you are again with child. Pretend to carry another son and when if I give birth to a lesser, you may claim him as your child and I will pretend to have lost mine. Please, do this for me, Captain?”

     “Sire, I can’t. What would henry think when I do not give birth to a son?”

     “Tell your mate the truth. I trust him to keep this secret.” Heechul instructed, “But, this plan will only be needed if my son does not develop his powers by the end of the third month. If he is royal, I’ll feel him growing inside me.”

     “Though there will be no power, you will still feel your son if he is inferior. Every parent can feel his child as he grows, even the father. Henry could touch me when I was pregnant and Hemi would respond to him. I could feel him move inside me and my belly would grow warm. In time, you will know who the true father is.”

      “Thank-you, Captain. You may go now.” Heechul dismissed, standing from his chair and moving over to the mirror as Zhoumi bowed and left the room.

     Parting open his long silver robes, Heechul laid his hand against the very slight swell of his stomach and shut his eyes. He tried to feel the child growing inside him, tried to make a connection with his son, but nothing happened. All he felt was the warmth of his own skin. Frustrated tears leaked out of the King’s eyes as the bedroom door opened behind him and the two most important men in his life stepped inside the room. Heechul opened his eyes and looked at Lord Leeteuk and HanGeng through the mirror. Leeteuk was all smiles, while HanGeng had his head hung and a frown on his face. The human believed that Heechul was carrying Leeteuk’s child and that didn’t seem to sit well with him.

    “Both of you come here.” Heechul commanded, “I need to test something.”

    “Did your meeting with Lord Zhoumi go well?” Leeteuk asked as he approached. “Is he willing to help us?”

    “He has to help us if I order him to,” Heechul dismissed, “Teukie, come over here and touch my stomach. HanGeng, go fetch Sungmin for me.”

    “Yes, Sire.” HanGeng bowed before exiting the room.

    “Teukie-ah, place your hand on my stomach. I need to you feel something.”

    “Alright,” Leeteuk agreed, coming to stand behind his king.

    Reaching around Heechul’s body, Leeteuk placed his hand on Heechul’s stomach. As soon as his skin touched Heechul’s a warmth spread up his arm and Heechul made an uncomfortable noise.

    “Your skin feels warm and there’s power coming off you,” Leeteuk whispered into Heechul’s ear. “Is it our child?”

    “It feels like something’s trying to reach out and touch you from inside me. Zhoumi said that his child reacted this way when Henry touched him.”

     “Does that mean the child is mine?”

     “I don’t know yet,” Heechul answered as the door opened and HanGeng stepped back inside, now with Sungmin.

    “You wanted to see me cousin?” Sungmin asked, smiling as he observed Leeteuk and Heechul standing together like a true couple. “You two look cute together.”

     “Come over here and touch me,” Heechul instructed, “I need to test something.”

    Leeteuk stepped back and allowed Sungmin to take his place behind the king. Reaching around Heechul’s body, Sungmin placed his hand where Leeteuk’s had been.

    “Am I supposed to feel something? It’s a bit too early to feel any kicking.”

    “You don’t feel anything?” Heechul asked, “No warmth or power?”

    “No, do you?”

    “No,” Heechul replied, “HanGeng, come here and take Sungmin’s place.”

    Doing as he was told, HanGeng placed his hand on Heechul’s stomach as Sungmin stepped back. The same warmth and power Leeteuk had felt crept up his arm and Heechul shut his eyes in discomfort. The reaction was the same as it was with Leeteuk.

    “It feels the same,” Heechul whispered, “He’s trying to reach out to both of you. That doesn’t make sense. You both can’t be the father.”

     “No, we can’t.” Leeteuk agreed, “There’s something strange going on with this pregnancy.”

    “Are there any texts in the library that deal with pregnancy and birth?” Heechul asked, turning on his heels. “What do the texts say about mated pairs and mating with humans?”

    “I don’t know,” Sungmin shrugged, “Yesung would know it there are any. It’s been centuries since anyone attempted to sort through the ancient texts. There could be anything in them.”

    “I’m going to the library,” Heechul declared, “Leeteuk, I need you to go consult with Onew. He may know something. Take Kangin with you. If he’s your mate, you should be spending more time with him. HanGeng, you come with me.”

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!