Epilog

A Frozen Heart

 

 

     The forest of Aleumdaum was alive with green and brightly colored flowers. Paths that had been frozen over for centuries were now covered in soft mosses and elves moved about the trees once more. Twenty years have passes since King Heenim thawed the forest; twenty years of peace and prosper. Each real, human and elf alike, was returning to their former glory. The human town of Eoleum that lay just outside the forest was no longer a wasteland upon a frozen lake. It was now a beautiful fishing village and regularly traded with the elven realm. Seasons came and went like they were designed to do and the world was as it should be.

    Inside the forest of Aleumdaum lay a large gathering space for both humans and elves. It was an expanse of green grass surrounded by flowering trees and a bubbling stream. In the center of the field was a great white gazebo carved with intricate elven symbols. It represented peace between the realms and the warmth of spring. King Heenim sat on a large white silk palate in the middle of the gazebo. He was wearing long ice blue robes and his flowing golden hair was woven into a long braid over his right shoulder. Blur crystals encrusted his braid and a tall silver crown was pinned atop his head.

    HanGeng sat behind his mate, holding him against his chest with his hands pressed against his husband’s pregnant belly. The King was with child again and glowing brightly in the spring sunlight. Heechul leaned back against his lover and turned his head to steal a kiss. Their lips met softly at first but turned deeper and more passionate within a few moments. Even after twenty years of marriage, they couldn’t get enough of one another.

   “Could you not make out in front of your children,” A voice whined, causing the king the break the kiss with his husband and smile at the two young men ascending the stairs into the gazebo.

    HeeLee and HeeGeng had grown into fine elven princes. They were practically inseparable, their powers linked to one another and their bond very strong. HeeLee had long blond hair like his mother and deep blue eyes like Lord Leeteuk. He was beloved by the people for his handsome features, but also a bit of a nuisance because of his mischievous nature and outspoken ways. Heechul saw a lot of his young self in his son. HeeGeng was the source of HeeLee’s power. If he were not by his brother’s side, HeeLee was as useful as a dark haired elf. They were linked not only by blood, but magic.

   Like his brother, HeeGeng had grown up well. He had delicate features like Heechul, making him a very beautiful prince and desired by many, but his personality was soft like his father’s and he was quite shy. Together with his brother, he would make a fine king one day, for the people of Aleumdaum rejoiced in the fact that their heir was of humble birth. With the humans now inside the forest, inferior elf birth was on the rise and they now outnumbered the royals.

    “How are my babies today?” Heechul asked his sons with a bright smile, “Isn’t the weather beautiful?”

    “We’re not babies anymore, mother.” HeeLee whined, “We’re twenty years old.”

    “And, I’m over nine hundred years old. You’re still babies to me, and always will be.” Heechul explained, “Isn’t that right, Hannie?”

     “I have to agree with your mother,” HanGeng chuckled, kissing Heechul lightly on the cheek.

    “Father, you always agree with Mother.” HeeGeng laughed, “How can you be so in love after all these years?”

     “You’ll know how it feels when you find your own mates,” HanGeng replied.

     “Actually, that’s why we wanted to speak with you.” HeeLee began with a nervous look on his face. “I think HeeGeng and I have found our mates.”

     “You have?” Heechul asked, sitting up straighter. “Who? I need to meet these so called mates and approve of them. I will not have my sons mated to just anyone. You’re so young and…,”

    “Mother, please..,” HeeLee cut off his panicked parent, “I’m sure you’ll approve of them.”

     Stepping aside, HeeLee and HeeGeng bowed to two elegant young elves in beautiful silk robes. They ascend the stairs and bowed to their king before taking up position beside their new mates. Heechul chuckled at the presence of the two young elves and nodded in approval, for he knew these young elves very well. Next to HeeLee stood a dark haired elf with soft features. He was biting his lower lip nervously and his large single lid eyes looked nervous.

    “Don’t be scared, HaeHyuk.” Heechul reassured Eunhyuk and Donghae’s son. “If any were to be bound to my HeeLee, I am glad it is my cousin’s son. You’re a good elf.”

    “Thank-you, Sire.” HaeHyuk bowed humbly to his monarch. “Your son is very precious to me.”

    “And you, KangLee…,” Heechul continued addressing Lord Leeteuk’s and Kangin’s dark haired son who was clinging to HeeGeng. “You have your mother’s wisdom and your father’s bravery. I am honored that you are bound to my son.”

    “I see they have told you,” Lord Leeteuk’s voice chuckled as he pushed passed his son and took a seat next to Heechul, Kangin close behind him.

    “Our sons are going to be wed,” Eunhyuk beamed, appearing on the stairs with his mate, Donghae and giving HaeHyuk and tight hug.

    Donghae and Kangin looked much like they did twenty years prior, only a couple years of age on them. Heechul had performed the bonding ritual for the two mortal males a few years after he had performed it on HanGeng. It took that long to reserve enough power to do so and to convince his husband that he wouldn’t die. Bonding the other pairs had actually been an easier task than bonding with his own mate. Heechul had been able to use Leeteuk’s and Eunhyuk’s magic combined with his own to create the bond.

    “Did everyone know about this but me?” Heechul grumbled as his friends sat down around him and their children laughed.

     “They told me a few days ago,” HanGeng admitted, “They were afraid of how you would react to the news. You’ve been kind of moody lately and…,”

    “I’m pregnant, not moody.” Heechul huffed, before letting his anger dissipate as he watched HeeGeng take KangLee’s hand and cause the latter’s skin to turn red; like mother like son it seemed.

    “Does that mean you give us your blessing, Sire?” HaeHyuk asked hopefully, his presence next to HeeLee causing the prince’s skin to glow softly.

     “I don’t know,” Heechul teased, with a pout. “You’re taking my babies away from me.”

    “Your sons are taking our babies away from us,” Eunhyuk argued, gesturing towards Leeteuk and himself. “We should be the worried ones.”

     “No one’s taking anyone away,” KangLee reassured, “We all agreed to take this slow. We’re only twenty and hand hundreds of years to figure this out and marry. Don’t worry, Sire.”

   “Trust your son to be the rational one, Teukie-ah.” Heechul chuckled, “Why didn’t HeeLee inherit any of that?”

    “He got your temper instead,” Leeteuk pointed out, “And your rash behaviors.”

    “I’m standing right here,” HeeLee grumbled, much like Heechul does when ignored.

    “As long as he promise to take things slowly, then I give you all my blessing as King and your mother.” Heechul spoke, flinching and grabbing his stomach when his newest son kicked him. “I guess its fitting. My first born sons are all grown up and I’m popping out a third soon. Tell again why I wanted another baby?”

    “Go and play kids while we attend to your king. He’s a bit emotional today.” Leeteuk dismissed the second generation standing before them.

    “Dad, we’re not kids and we don’t play anymore.” HeeLee argued, “We’re twenty.”

    “And I’m not emotional, I’m pregnant.” Heechul huffed as the children left the adults to argue amongst themselves. “Give me a break, I have a boulder for a stomach and it’s full of bees.”

    “Did you just call out son a bee?” HanGeng asked with a soft chuckle.

     “Sometime he feels like one,”

     “I can relate to that,” Sungmin groaned as he wobbled up the steps into the gazebo holding Kyuhyun’s hand for balance, for he was eight months pregnant with his first child and was barely able to move. “How did you carry two of these thing? I only have one and I feel like I’m dying.”

    “How are you doing today, Minnie?” Heechul asked his cousin, feeling sorry for the cute elf, for he knew how uncomfortable it was in the last month. “Don’t worry you only have a couple more weeks left.”

    “I want it out of me now,” Sungmin whined as he carefully sat down next to his King and kicked off his shoes. “Kyu-ah, rub my feet, they’re swollen.”

    Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, but knelt down and did as he was told. Even though they weren’t mated by magic, Kyuhyun still loved Sungmin dearly and would do anything for him, even rub his swollen feet.

    As each of them settled down with their husbands and lovers, Heechul moved his gaze out into the green lawn surrounding them. It was a perfect day full of sunshine and fluffy clouds. Human, royal and dark haired elf alike roamed the field interacting as if they had always been together. Heechul could see his sons seated under a tree with their new mates. They were laughing and smiling. HeeLee’s skin was glowing brightly and KangLee almost looked sunburned. Everyone looked so happy and at peace.

    Settling back against HanGeng’s chest, Heechul lay his hands on his stomach and shut his eyes as he fourth son squirmed inside him. His thoughts floated back to Wonhee and a sadness filled his heart. King Heenim would never forget the child he had lost or the years he had spent grieving him in the ice. He couldn’t forget the love he had for Wonhee, but he knew that life move on and his son wouldn’t want him to be sad. He’d done great things since Wonhee’s passing; he’d freed slaves, thawed the land and birthed and raised two beautiful princes. King Heenim was no longer worried about his heart freezing over or winter lasting longer than it should, for the world was bright once more and there was love blossoming all around him.

 

The End

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = Love :D