Council

A Frozen Heart

 

 

       The cool stone under Heechul’s bare feet helped calm his nerves as he stood in the center of the great elven meeting hall known as Isahoe. It had been centuries since a council had met in Isahoe. Seated at a long stone table in front of where Heechul stood was the elven council, which was comprised of six members of royal decent. They stared at him with mixed expressions, some sympathetic and other suspicious. Leeteuk smiled at him reassuringly, while Eunhyuk and Sungmin looked just as nervous as he felt. They were only three votes. It would take a fourth to pass the laws and Taemin’s views on inferiors were unknown.

    “These laws are an abomination to everything our society stands for!” Yesung raged as he slammed the scrolls Heechul had spent months drafting down onto the table. “Why would you want to free the inferiors?”

    “They are elves just like we are and deserve to be treated as such.” Heechul answered, trying to sound firm and intimidating.

    He was still dressed in his flowing coronation robles and talk sparkling crown, giving an elegant and intimating presence. King Heenim was trying to appear like a competent and authoritative leader before the council.

    “They are inferior to us!” Ryeowook piped in, his high pitched voice piercing the air. “Yes, they are elves, but they are half breeds with no powers. They should be eliminated from this realm, not granted rights!”

    “And what about this clause to legalize human and elf unions?’ Yesung added, pointing to the document in front of him. “They are not even elves. How can you think it is right or natural to embrace humans into this realm? Do you no know how the inferior class came to be? If we let humans and elves breed we will weaken our people!”

     “I have read the ancient texts and I am aware of the history, Lord Yesung. How can human elf mating be unnatural when our power calls to them? I agree with what I see and feel, not some twisted idea of what is natural.”

    “I think the King is right,” Sungmin spoke up, “These laws will better our realm, not destroy it. What is weakening our people are the ignorant ideals of elves like you!”

    “You’re just saying that because you’ve been ing with a slave for decades!” Yesung accused, causing Sungmin to blanch and bow his head in shame.

     “Leave him alone,” Heechul scolded Yesung, “I know about Sungmin and Kyuhyun’s relationship and he has nothing to be ashamed of.”

    “You know?” Sungmin repeated, his voice raising an octave. “Sire, I’m sorry…, Kyu-ah and I…, we…,”

    “Don’t apologize to me, Sungmin-ah. A few years ago I may have thrown you in Bimil for seeing Kyuhyun, but not now, not after everything that has happened. I understand things more clearly now. You are free to love who you wish, be it royal, inferior, or even human.”

    “The King has gone mad!” Ryeowook shouted, “This is insanity! I say we vote to dethrone him and place someone sane on the throne!”

     “Only someone descended directly from the royal line has the power to hold the throne.” Lord Leeteuk pointed out, “If you dethrone King Heenim, your only options for a replacement are his cousins Eunhyuk and Sungmin. No other royal is related to the King’s line.”

   “An inferior lover and a human lover!” Ryeowook shrieked, “They would be worse choices. Sire, please come to your senses. We have to have order between the classes!”

     “If you give those pests rights, they will want more! What if they try and overthrow you?!” Yesung screamed, standing up from the table and tossing the laws onto the floor. “I will not vote for this!”

    “Fine,” Heechul conceded, “I know your and Ryeowook’s votes will be against. How do the rest of you vote?”

    “I vote to pass the laws,” Leeteuk stated firmly, “I’m proud of you, Sire.”

    “I vote yes, as well.” Eunhyuk declared.

    “If it means Kyu-ah and I do not have to hide any longer, then I vote yes as well.” Sungmin added with a soft smile, “I too, am proud of you, Cousin.”

     “That is three for and two against.” Heechul accounted, “Taemin-ssi, you have the deciding vote. If you vote in favor of the laws, then they will be so, if you vote against, it will be a tie and they go back into the draft stages until we convene again.”

    Taemin, who had been sitting quietly next to Ryeowook throughout the entire meeting, lifted his gaze towards his king to reveal a face full of tears. He looked frightened and confused. Heechul felt sorry for the young royal.

     “Sire, I have read through the laws you drafted and…,” Taemin stammered, his gaze dropping when Yesung glared at him. “I need to time to consider my decision.”

    “There is no time,” Yesung spat, “Vote now!”

    “Leave him be, Lord Yesung.” Leeteuk scolded, “Taemin-ssi, the council is convened now, and we need your decision.”

     “I…, well…, I don’t…,” Taemin stammered, “You see..,”

    “May I have a moment with you, Taemin-ssi?” Heechul asked, “Let’s step outside into the hallway. I think some fresh air will do you good.”

    “You’re just going to try and swindle his vote.” Yesung accused.

    “He’s clearly overwhelmed. I am just trying to help him calm down.” Heechul explained in a firm tone. “I am your King and if I wish to speak with Taemin-ssi alone, I will. Do not forget your place, Lord Yesung.”

    Taemin rose from the stone council table and retreated towards his King. His movements were panicked and his long ice blue robes were tangle about his body as he moved. Something was wrong with the young royal and Heechul didn’t like it. Stepping out into the hallway, Heechul eyed the guards at the door and decided to Taemin outside instead. They found themselves in a small garden covered in wet mud and budding trees. A warm breeze blew through the small alcove between the roots of the great tree that held the palace and the air smelled of flowers. Spring was setting in once again.

     “Now, tell me what’s upsetting you, Taemin-ssi?” Heechul requested in a calming voice.

     “I’m frightened, Sire.” Taemin wept, “I know what my heart wishes me to vote, but I frightened by the others.”

    “Why do they scare you? Don’t let them intimidate you. Yes, you’re the youngest council member, but your vote counts as much as theirs.”

     “But, they threatened me.” Taemin burst into tears, “They said that they’d hurt me if I didn’t vote the way they wanted me to.”

    “Who threatened you?”

    “I cannot say,”

     “Taemin-ssi, I’m your king. You can tell me anything. Vote the way you feel is right. I’m not trying to pressure you.” Heechul reassured, “If you’re worried about being hurt, I can guarantee your protection, even if your vote is against me.”

    “You would do that, even if I vote no?” Taemin asked in a tear filled voice.

    “Yes, your life is precious to this realm, just as all royal elves lives’ are. I just want everyone to understand that inferior elves and humans’ lives are just as precious.”

    “I know how I’m going to vote now,” Taemin declared, wiping the tears from his eyes and straightening his posture. “Just make sure you make good on your promise of protecting me afterwards.”

    “I promise on my honor as your king,”

    “Swear it to me on the life of your son,” Taemin instructed, “I need to be sure.”

    “I swear to protect you on the life of my son,” Heechul promised, knowing that he would keep true to his words, no matter if Taemin voted against the laws or not. If there were to be a revote in the future, it would be good to have the young royal on his side.

     Stepping back into Isahoe, Heechul reconvened the meeting and took a vote on the laws once more. Just like before, there were three votes for and two against. When it came time for Taemin to vote, he stood from his seat and looked his King in the eyes as he did so.

    “My vote is, yes.” Taemin declared, causing Yesung to shriek in protest and Ryeowook to grab him by the sleeve and raise his hand to strike him.

   Before Ryeowook was able to hit the frightened young royal, Heechul had bridged the gap between them and grabbed Ryeowook’s arm.

   “Do not lay a hand on him, or I will not hesitate to throw you in Bimil where you belong!” Heechul raged, “Taemin is a council member and his vote stands as it is.”

    “You threatened him when you left the room, didn’t you? What did you promise him if he voted your way?” Yesung accused, “I call for a revote!”

    “You’re the one that threatened me, Lord Yesung!” Taemin shrieked, “You came to my chambers and warned me if I voted against you on anything the King wanted that you would make me regret it. You threatened to have your guards destroy Onew’s office and take him from me!”

    “I did no such thing,” Yesung defended, obviously lying. “The King brainwashed you. Why would you want to give inferior elves rights? You’re from a pure family and your lover is a royal physician.”

    “You’re not like them. They’re filthy…,” Ryeowook huffed, jerking his arm out of Heechul’s hand and gesturing towards Sungmin, Leeteuk and Eunhyuk. “Two of them have mated with humans and Sungmin is sleeping with trash. You’re superior even to other royals, just like Yesung and I.”

    “I’m tired of seeing my friends hurt,” Taemin shouted, tears flowing from his eyes as he screamed in Ryeowook’s face. “None of the royals even speak to me when Onew is not around. I’m the youngest royal and everyone treats me like a child. I want justice for me friends and myself!”

    “Your friends?” Heechul repeated, with raised brows.

    “Jonghyun and Key are my servants. I like them. They speak to me like a real elf, not something they scraped off the floor like the royals do.” Taemin explained, “Minho, the palace guard in my wing, he brings me cookies from the kitchens when he passes by on his rounds. He brought me newly bloomed flowers from the royal garden this morning, even though he’s not allowed to go there because he’s inferior. He risked being thrown in Bimil just to make me smile. I think he likes me.”

    “Now that the laws have been passed, Miho can pick flowers for you without being arrested.” Heechul pointed out with a soft smile. “Do you like him, Taemin-ssi?”

     “I love Onew-ah, but I think Minho may be my mate. When he’s around me, I can feel my power get stronger.” Taemin admitted, “It’s very confusing.”

     “Yes, it is.” Heechul agreed. “This council meeting is adjured and a reading of the new laws will be scheduled for the morning. I will also be ordering the royal guard to make Lord Taemin a priority and to watch Lord Yesung’s movements. I do not take threats lightly.”

     “This is an outrage!” Yesung shouted, taking Ryeowook’s hand and pulling him towards the doors. “I will not stand for this.”

    “Should we worry about him?” Taemin asked nervously once Yesung and Ryeowook were gone.

     “I’ll have them watched, don’t worry. I will know every time he sneezes.” Heechul reassured, before turning towards the doors himself. “Now, if you would excuse me, I need to go inform my mate of the good news.”

    

______________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!