Coronation

A Frozen Heart

 

 

      It was very quiet in the royal nursery, not a living soul allowed into the room besides the select few trust by the King. Two weeks had passed since his children’s’ births and both princes were growing well. Heechul stood over HeeGeng’s crib as his dark haired son slept soundly. Today was HeeLee’s coronation day. In a few minutes Heechul would be presenting his and Leeteuk’s child to his people and declaring him heir to his throne. HeeGeng would remain hidden in the nursery in the care of his father and Zhoumi.

    “Don’t worry, Sire.” Zhoumi whispered as he came to stand next to his king. “HanGeng and I will take good care of him while you’re gone.”

    “I haven’t let him out of my sight since he was born.” Heechul pointed out, glancing over to the pile of blankets on the floor where he and HanGeng had been spending the night for the past couple weeks.  “I can’t help but worry, Mimi. If any knew he existed, he could be taken from me or killed.”

    “After the coronation, the council will be meeting to vote on the laws.” Zhoumi detailed, “Just wait a few more hours and HeeGeng will be safe.”

    “I hope you’re right,” Heechul whispered as Leeteuk stepped inside the nursery holding their son in his arms.

    HeeLee was dressed in a sparkling white set of coronation robes with the royal symbols woven into the fabric with silver thread. They were the same robes Heechul had worn when he was a child, and despite them being over nine hundred years old, they looked almost brand new. Heechul himself was dressed in a long flowing set of royal robes that matched his son’s. They were made of fine silk and had a long train that moved behind him as he walked. His long blonde hair hung down his back like a shimmering curtain and there was a tall, gleaming, silver crown upon his head. The crown was encrusted in clear gems that caught the light like shards of glass and was woven from fine metals. It was the King’s finest crown and was necessary to show his wealth and power to his people on such an important day.

   “You look beautiful today, Sire.” Leeteuk complimented his king. “How are you feeling?”

    “Better,” Heechul answered, “I’m not exactly back to my old self, but at least I can walk without any pain. How’s HeeLee doing? Did the coronation gown fit him alright?”

    “He had a little fit when I changed him, but he’s fine.” Leeteuk answered, rocking his child slowly in his arms as he spoke. “The gown’s a little big for him. He’s small for his age. You were a bigger baby when you wore these.”

    “Onew said it was normal for twins to be smaller,” Heechul explained, “They’ll catch up in time.”

    “I wish I could bring HeeGeng with us,” Heechul lamented, looking over his shoulder at his sleeping child in his crib and then back his second son in Leeteuk’s arms. “It’s not right hiding him like this. I’m not ashamed either of my children.”

    “I know, Heechul-ah, but it’s for the best.”

   “It still feels wrong to me,”

    “The throne room has been filled with all the royals and their servants,” HanGeng informed as he stepped inside the nursery. “I never knew there were so many elves living in the palace.”

    “There are hundreds of elves in the palace, Hannie.” Heechul explained with a soft smile. “We used to have more, but many have been lost to sickness due to the isolation of the winter.”

    “It’s getting warmer outside,” HanGeng continued, “I was in the garden today and the snow is almost completely melted.”

    “I can’t explain the weather change,” Heechul shrugged, “I haven’t performed any rituals or done anything different.”

    “Do you feel any different?”

    “Not really,”

    “You are different, Sire.” Leeteuk pointed out, “You’ve changed a lot since HanGeng’s arrival and even more so after the conception of your children. I’m seeing glimpses of the King I new eight hundred years ago.”

     “Now that you mention it, I do feel a bit more like my old self.” Heechul agreed, “But, I was so very naïve back then. I am no longer jaded, Leeteuk-ah. I see things more clearly now.”

    “And you’re doing great things with that clarity,” Leeteuk added, “Making the inferior class equals to us is something the old Heechul would have never done. You saw them as lesser and hated them after what happened with Kibum. Now, you’re trying to say them.”

    “Can I ask you a question, Sire?” Zhoumi interjected from where he stood next to HeeGeng’s crib.

    “Of course,” Heechul confirmed, “You can ask me anything you like. I have much to make up to you for keeping you from your child for so long and you’ve been a good friend to me when I needed one the most. There’s no need to stand on formalities around me, Captain.”

    “Thank-you, Sire.” Zhoumi replied with a slight bow, “I just wanted to know if you were changing to class laws because you truly believed the inferiors are equals to the royals, or is it just to protect your son?”

    “I would be lying to you if I told you that this wasn’t mainly to protect my son,” Heechul began, “But, I do believe that all inferiors are just as entitled to live their lives as any royal. We are all elves, it does not matter what color your hair is or what powers you posse.”

     Without thought, Zhoumi moved across the room and pulled his king into a tight embrace. Heechul just stood still and let his friend hug him, not sure how to react to the sudden contact.

    “Thank-you,” Zhoumi whispered, “I am proud to call you my King, Sire. Thank-you for doing this. My people have waited for centuries for this day. You will have our loyalty and your sons will and their sons. The inferior class will support you forever.”

    “I have to pass the laws first, Captain.” Heechul pointed out, “This is the right thing to do. There is no need to thank me.”

    “Sire, we need to go.” Leeteuk interrupted the exchange as HeeLee began to become a bit fussy. “The people are waiting to meet their prince.”

   “Help Hannie watch over our son,” Heechul instructed Zhoumi as he pulled away from him and took HeeLee from Leeteuk. “I am trusting you with one of the most precious things to me.”

    “I will watch over him as if he were my own son,” Zhoumi promised, “Do not worry, Sire. HeeGeng will be safe with us.”

    “I wish I could bring HeeGeng with us,” Heechul lamented, directing his comments towards HanGeng. “I am not ashamed of our son, Hannie. I hope you understand that?”

    “I do,” HanGeng nodded, “I know you’re only trying to protect him. Go pass the laws so we can stop hiding. I believe in you, Heechul-ah. You can do this.”

     “I hope you’re right,”

     Leaving his mate to care for their son, Heechul carried HeeLee down the winding passages towards the throne room. Leeteuk walked proudly next to him, dressed in a set of golden robes and wearing a small old crown that represented his station as royal advisor and consort, the second title not exactly true anymore. Once the laws were passed, Heechul planned on asking HanGeng to marry him. It would be hard for his people to accept a human as their King consort, but Heechul wanted nothing more than to present his mate officially to the kingdom.

    “Have you given any thought to the rituals you found in Bimil?” Leeteuk asked as they walked, “The one to prolong human lives or the one to empower the inferiors?”

    “Once the laws are in place, I’m going to ask Hannie to marry me.” Heechul explained, “If he says yes, then we’ll attempt the ritual to bond him to me. It wouldn’t be fair to me to marry a man that is going to be dead in forty years. That is like a day in our lives. My father was two thousand years old when he died and my mother was over a thousand. I cannot live the rest of my life without my mate.”

    “Do you think your power has recovered enough from the birth to attempt the ritual?”

     “I feel fine, don’t worry.” Heechul reassured, “If I pull off the bonding ritual, then I will think about the second one. I do not know if it is the best idea to empower the inferior class. They have been oppressed for centuries. If they suddenly have the power to fight back, there could be a war. Making them equals in law is one thing, making them actual equals, could prove to be dangerous.”

    “Do you think they would really use their powers against the royal class?”

    “It’s possible,” Heechul replied as they stopped in front of the doors to the throne room. “There are royals that the inferiors hate. If they had the power to fight back, they may choose to do so. I cannot risk the safety of the governing class. A war is the last thing we need right now.”

    Dropping the subject, Heechul turned towards the doors and used his power to open them. As soon as he stepped inside the vast throne room, he was met with a roar of applause. HeeLee squirmed in his arms, slightly upset by all the noise. Heechul rocked his child slowly as he moved across the chamber towards the dais in the center where his throne sat. Leeteuk dropped back and followed behind him like a proper consort.

     “Congratulations, Sire.” Yesung stated as they reached the top of the dais where the pink haired elf stood next to the coronation table. “You have birthed a beautiful son.”

   “Thank-you, Lord Yesung.” Heechul replied, his gaze moving from the royal elf he despised to his two cousins standing behind the coronation table. “How are you today, cousins?”

    “Well, Sire.” Eunhyuk replied, smiling brightly as he glanced down the stairs to where Donghae stood in the crown below. “My cycle started this morning. I’m hoping to have a child of my own by the end of the week.”

     “Congratulation, Eunhyuk-ah.” Heechul beamed, “I’m happy for you.”

    “Life is returning to our kingdom again,” Sungmin pointed out, “Look at the people. They are thriving.”

     “I do not see the joy in the possible conception of a half human,” Yesung scowled at Eunhyuk. “Isn’t your mate that disgusting man that invaded our kingdom with his friends. I would not be excited about birthing a child of such low status.”

    “Watch your tongue,” Heechul scolded, “A mated pair is a beautiful thing, no matter if it is elf and human or elf and elf.”

     “You would not have said such a thing when you were wed to Lord Siwon.” Yesung grumbled, “He was an honorable match for you, Sire.”

    “You do not know of what you speak,” Leeteuk ground out, “Lord Siwon was a misguided fool. His majesty has found a better match that makes him happy. Do not taint this day with your ignorance.”

    “Yes, you are a good match as well, Lord Leeteuk.” Yesung agreed, not know that Leeteuk was referring to HanGeng and not himself. “I’m sure we will see a wedding soon. It is customary for the King to marry the father of his child. An heir should have both parents in his life.”

    “Leeteuk has already been mated, if you haven’t noticed.” Heechul interjected, “His son will be born in a few months. It would be unfair of me to take him from his true mate.”

    “You’re pregnant, My Lord?” Yesung gaped, “With whose child?”

    “A disgusting human’s, as you so poetically put it.” Leeteuk huffed, pointing to where Kangin stood in the crowd next to Donghae. “My son will be half human and I am not ashamed of this fact. I found my true mate in life, you should be so lucky to find yours.”

    “I have Ryeowook-ah, there is no need for a true mate.”

    “I thought the same of Siwon,” Heechul mumbled to himself, before adding in a louder voice. “Let’s stop arguing and crown HeeLee as my heir. He’s getting restless and will need to nap soon.”

    “May I have your attention please?!” Yesung shouted, quieting the crowd below. “Today is a special day for our realm. The King has provided us with the first heir in over eight hundred years.”

   This was met with a burst of applause. HeeLee snuggled closer to Heechul and hid his face. Clearly the noise was upsetting to him.

    “May I present to you, our new heir..,” Yesung continued to speak, “HeeLee, son of King Heenim and advisor and consort to the king, Lord Leeteuk.”

   Heechul stepped forwards and placed HeeLee on the coronation table. The infant squirmed and fretted as Heechul placed a tiny silver crown that looked like woven twigs upon his tiny head before picking up a quill and signing the coronation papers. HeeLee began to cry loudly as Heechul lifted him from the table and the crown on his head tilted, its size a bit too big for the tiny infant. HeeLee was much smaller than Heechul had been when he’d worn the same crown as a newborn child.

    “He’s tired,” Heechul explained when Leeteuk gave him a worried look. “Finish up here while I go put him down for a nap.”

     “Long live HeeLee!” the crown began to shout as Heechul descended the stairs with his crying son in his arms. “Long live King Heenim! Long live Lord Leeteuk!”

     “May their wedding come quickly!?” Yesung added, causing the crowd to cheer and Heechul pause in his decent.

     “Wedding! Wedding!” the crowd cheered.

     “King Consort Leeteuk and King Heenim!” Yesung provided, “Long live the royal family!”

     Heechul glared up at the pink haired elf. Yesung knew that Leeteuk was already mated to Kangin and pregnant, yet he encouraged the crowd anyway. He was trying to force his agenda on the people. If he had his way, Kangin would be killed and Leeteuk’s child enslaved. Heechul felt the urgency even more to pass the laws he’s drafted. The council would be convened as soon as HeeLee was napping safely in his crib. This elitist chaos, stopped today.

 

  ______________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!