Child

A Frozen Heart

    Soft torchlight reflected off the dark stone walls of Seutaui as the great elven king made his way through the passageways of his vast palace. He was descending into the underground portions of Seutaui, making the torchlight even more necessary than in the above passages. The palace underground is where the inferior elves made their homes and a place the fair haired rarely visited.

 

   Lord Leeteuk strolled alongside his king, studying the slightly younger elf’s expression as they walked. Though, King Heenim wished to be unescorted today, Lord Leeteuk couldn’t let his monarch descend into the underground on his own. Heenim had been fragile all day, his metal state waning and physical health just as fragile. The news of the birth of a new elf child had not been taken well by the ruler. What was supposed to be happy news, was a source of frustration and grief for the elven ruler.

 

   “Why do you want to see Captain Zhoumi at such a late hour, Sire?” Lord Leeteuk questioned as the continued to wind deeper into the palace. “His child is most likely sleeping.”

 

   “I need to ask him a few questions,” Heenim answered, “This is the first child to be born in a hundred years. We need to understand how?”

 

   “Well, when two elves love each other…,”

 

   “Very funny,” Heenim cut off with an annoyed look. “This is a serious topic, Leeteuk. The royal line has been without a child for centuries. We are supposed to be the superior race. I need to know why the inferiors were able to conceive when we were not.”

 

    Leeteuk opened his mouth to speak, but was silenced by a wave of his monarch’s hand. It was best not to press the topic. The fact that the royal line remained barren was a sensitive topic for their leader. Heechul was the most powerful of elf in the realm, as such, he was expected to produce many children and keep the elven line strong. In his nine hundred years of life, he had yet to have a single child.

 

    “Sire, I wasn’t expecting you so late.” Captain Zhoumi greeted as a intricate wooden door was opened and the guard bowed to his king.

 

   King Heenim took a moment to look over his captain of the guard. For a person who just delivered a child, the tall brunette elf looked well. His long auburn hair hung down his back in silken waves. He was wearing a thin emerald green silk robe that pooled on the floor and hugged his slight frame, not revealing much extra weight left from his pregnancy.

 

   “You look well, Captain.” King Heenim complimented as the inferior elf stepped aside and allowed them to enter his home.

 

   “Thank-you, Sire.” Zhoumi answered, giving another bow before gesturing across the small one room living space to where his baby son lay in his crib. “I’m sorry, Hemi is sleeping.”

 

    King Heenim moved across the stone carved room, passed a set of white wood carved sofas and a large bed draped in green netting, to stand over the modest wooden crib in the corner. A child lay in the small bed, wrapped in warm green blankets and sleeping soundly. He had delicate features and fluffy brown hair. As King Heenim gazed down at the child his heart filled with unexplainable pain and he had to turn away before tears decided to fall. He couldn’t look at him.

 

    “He’s beautiful, Captain.” Lord Leeteuk complimented, “Captain Henry and you must be so proud.”

 

    “We are,” Zhoumi answered with a soft smile, “If Henry didn’t have to work tonight you’d find him with Hemi is his arms. He’s a proud father. Would you like something to drink, Sire?”

 

    “Water,” Heechul replied before gracefully sitting down on one of the sofas. “I’m feeling a bit faint.”

 

    “Should I retrieve the doctor?” Lord Leeteuk asked, “You’re rather pale.”

 

    “No, I’ll be fine.”

 

    “Is something the matter?”

 

    “I don’t know,” Heenim answered honestly before addressing Captain Zhoumi, who was approaching him with a silver chalice full of cool spring water. “How did you manage to conceive a child? No one has been able to have a child in over a century, for the royal line, even longer.”

 

    “Well,” Zhoumi began, nervously biting his lower lip as he handed the chalice to his king. “My cycle hadn’t occurred in decades, like many others. Henry really wanted a child, it was all he ever talked about. So, I went to the royal library and consulted the ancient scrolls.”

 

     “Those scrolls contain dark magic,” Lord Leeteuk pointed out, “Captain, what did you do?”

 

     “There was a scroll detailing fertility rituals,” Captain Zhoumi admitted, “It had an herbal tea listed, but the ingredients have been lost to the snows. Henry-ah snuck into Eoleum and gathered the ingredients from the human’s stores. I know it’s against the law to enter the human realm, but sire, we were desperate.”

 

    Narrowing his eyes, King Heenim rose from the sofa and flung the water from his cup into Zhoumi’s face. He was furious with his guard captain. Leaving the safety of the trees was strictly forbidden and making contact with humans was even more taboo. Though, he understood the desperation of wanting a child that was no excuse for breaking the laws of the realm. Zhoumi hung his head in shame as he baby son woke from his slumber and began to cry loudly.

 

    “You had no right to take such risks for personal gain.” King Heenim shouted, the child’s cries piercing and making his head swoon and heart ache. “All the ingredients you stole and the scrolls you used are to be confiscated.”

 

    “Yes, Sire.” Zhoumi complied, his voice soft and head still hung low.

 

    “When Captain Henry returns from patrol he will be taken to the prison cells.” King Heenim continued, “You, will be taken now.”

 

    “Sire, please?!” Zhoumi pleaded, “What about Hemi? He needs his parents. Please be merciful?”

 

    “Lord Leeteuk, call the royal guards.”

 

    Lord Leeteuk gaze Zhoumi a sympathetic look as before leaving the room to fetch the guard. Captain Zhoumi bolted towards his child’s bed once Leeteuk had left, desperate to stop his panicked cries. But, he was stopped by his King. A gust of wind shot through the room and knocked the guard captain off his feet. King Heenim moved over to Hemi’s crib and reached down to lift him from the blankets. As soon as his arms encircled the child, Heenim’s heart began to beat frantically and he felt like he was going to pass out. Suddenly, for no known reason, the monarch felt a panic settle over him and a pain stir inside him. It had nothing to do with the inferior child’s menial powers, for he possessed none at such a young age. Something long since forgotten was threatening to surface.

 

    Shutting his eyes, King Heenim held the crying child close as images flooded his mind. He saw long blonde hair and dark brows. He saw blood staining his sliver robes and he heard himself sobbing. None of these images were familiar to him. When he opened his eyes, a group of guards had entered the room and they were dragged Zhoumi up off the floor.

 

    “What do you want us to do with the child, Sire?” one of the guards asked as Lord Leeteuk took Hemi from Heenim’s arms.

 

    “Give her to Kyuhyun to be cared for until I decide what to do with his traitorous parents.” Heechul ordered, “And inform me as soon as you have Captain Henry in custody.”

 

   “Captain Henry sent word from the forest that he has prisoners, Sire.” One of the royal guards informed. “Humans were discovered in Aleumdaum.”

 

    “Humans?” Heenim repeated with raised brows.

 

    “Yes, Sire.” The guard confirmed, “Captain Henry is delivering them to the palace as we speak.”

 

    “Have the humans brought to my throne room. I will deal with them personally.” King Heenim ordered, “Make sure Captain Henry is taken care of as well.”

 

    “Yes, Sire.”

 

    “Leeteuk, come with me. I want you to have the servants to prepare my best robes and my sword. These humans will learn what happens when they intrude on the realm of the elves.”

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, it's a bit short. But, I want to make the part where Heechul meets the humans a seperate chapter.

 

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!