Cycle

A Frozen Heart

 

 

 

   Green grass covered the expanse of the great elven garden known as Haneul. The once ice covered stone paths had been uncovered and not a single flake of snow covered the ground. Flowers bloomed everywhere and the once barren trees were full of leaves. The normally frozen over stream was flowing and strong, as if it had never seen snow. Haneul was full of life once again and the eleven world seemed to be healing.

 

   “It’s beautiful,” Donghae whispered as he sat at the long stone table in the center of the garden, the cool grey surface no longer encased in ice. “I’ve never seen green grass before, or flowers. Did the land really used to look like this?”

 

    “Yes,” Eunhyuk replied from where he sat next to him staring up at the great tree above them. “The spring used to come every year, as well as the summer, fall, and winter. You should see the fall. The leaves turn beautiful shades of red, orange and yellow.”

 

   “What caused this to happen? It’s still freezing out here.” Donghae questioned, pulling his cloak closer and securing his hood over his head and a cold wind blew through the garden.

 

    “Something happened with the King last night. I felt his power shoot through me and his light filled the palace. I think King Heenim did this.”

 

    “Yes, Heechul did do this.” Leeteuk spoke as he made his way across the garden, a wide eyed Kangin following behind him gaping at the beautiful garden. “I felt the power coming from his chambers last night. The light was blinding.”

 

    “How did he do this?” Eunhyuk asked, “Do you think he remembered how to change the seasons? If so, why did he just change the garden?”

 

    “I don’t know what happened, but I think it had something to do with that human of his.”

 

   “HanGeng?” Donghae interjected, “What does he have to do with the King’s power?”

 

    “There’s a connection between the King and HanGeng. Heechul’s skin glows brightly around him and they seem to be drawn together.” Leeteuk explained, taking a seat at the table as Kangin wondered around the garden picking flowers and touching the green grass.

 

   “Maybe we should tell him what we found in the ancient scrolls?” Donghae suggested, smiling to himself as he watched the normally grumpy Kangin bounce about the garden like an excited child.

 

  “You let a human read the ancient elven scrolls?!” Leeteuk scolded in a firm tone, “Hyuk, those scrolls haven’t been consulted in centuries. They’re fragile and the information contained within them is dangerous.”

 

    “Yes, it is.” Eunhyuk agreed, leaning over the table so he could speak softly to Lord Leeteuk. “I found out things that I never knew were true.”

 

    Lord Leeteuk listened carefully as Eunhyuk and Donghae detailed everything they had read in the scrolls. They told him of the origins of the inferior elves and the connection that used to exist between men and elves. Each bit of information shocked the golden haired lord, his eyes going wider the longer they spoke.

 

    “Are you telling me that the King and the human of his could be a mated pair?” Lord Leeteuk asked, basing his question on the information he’d just been told.

 

   “If the scrolls are true and humans and elves once came together, then yes.” Eunhyuk answered, “When our magic is weak it seeks out something to strengthen it. Humans were banished from the realm because our magic called to them. King Jaejoong formed a mated pair with a human named Yunho. His magic connected them. They had a child together, the first inferior.”

 

    “Our magic has been weak for centuries, ever since what happened with King Heenim and..,” Leeteuk’s words trailed off, a frown forming on his face before he continued. “If the King has found a mate, even if it’s a human, it’s a good sign. Magic is returning to the palace. I can feel it inside me.”

 

    “What if the King conceives a child with this human? We can’t have the heir to the kingdom be an inferior.”

 

    “Are you going to tell the King about what we found out?” Donghae asked.

 

    “No,” Lord Leeteuk answered, “We can’t let the King know. He won’t go anywhere near that human if he believes he may conceive an inferior. But, it’s an risk we will have to take, for the King’s magic is returning to him and it’s because of HanGeng.”

 

    “What’s because of Hannie?” King Heenim’s voice sounded as he came padding across the garden, his bare feet peeking out of his long icy blue robes and his blonde hair pinned messily atop his head with a silver clip. “The garden looks beautiful. This must be what I heard last night. I’m getting stronger.”

 

    “You look tired, Sire.” Lord Leeteuk commented, rising to his feet and helping his king sit down at the head of the table.

 

    “I am a bit tired,” Heechul agreed, “I’ve been feeling strange the pasted couple days.”

 

    “How so?”

 

    “I awoke with stomach pains again. My mood’s off. I’m usually a terrible morning person, but I sprang out of bed this morning, despite how tired I felt.” King Heenim details, “And my s are sore.”

 

    “You have !” Donghae gaped, “Like a girl!”

 

    “No, I mean my s and chest are tender.”

 

     “Your cycle has started, Sire.” Lord Leeteuk informed, “It’s been years since I witnessed one, but the signs are all the same. You’re fertile.”

 

    “Oh!” Heechul gasped, the realization hitting him in the face. “You’re right, it is my cycle. I had forgotten what it felt like. Teukie, I may be able to conceive again.”

 

    “Again?” Eunhyuk repeated, not sure what the King meant.

 

    “I remembered something last night,” Heechul explained, his voice hesitant as he spoke. “I used to have a husband and I was once with child. What happened to them, Leeteuk-ah? Where is my son?”

 

    “That’s not something I can tell you, Sire.” Leeteuk denied, “You have to remember on your own.”

 

    “This subject is painful for me,” Heechul dismissed, standing from the table. “Come Leeteuk, if I am having my cycle, then let’s not waste it. If I recall correctly, I will only be fertile for three or four days a month. I may not have my cycle again after this, it’s too unpredictable.”

 

    “What are you suggesting, Sire?”

 

    “My people need an heir and it’s my duty as King to give them one.” Heechul explained, extending his hand towards his advisor. “Let’s go make a baby.”

 

    “Are you sure?” Leeteuk stammered as he allowed his King to pull him to his feet. “Just because your cycle…,”

 

    “Leeteuk, I may never get another chance at this. We need another royal birth to strengthen the line. It’s been centuries since I had my cycle. What if it takes another century for it to come again? Do you not wish to conceive a child with me?”

 

    “You’re right,” Leeteuk agreed, still hesitant to go with his lover. “We have to try.”

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!