Discovered

A Frozen Heart

 

 

    Tall trees loomed overhead, their leafless ice covered branches blocking out much of the sun’s warming rays. The forest floor was dim and frigid. Wind cut through the snow covered underbrush, displacing the dusty powder and making visibility poor. The sun was slowly sinking below the horizon, causing the already unbearable cold to sink lower in temperature.

     “Where is this Elven River you promised us?” Kangin shouted, as he trudged through the deep snow behind his friends. “I thought you said there were caves we could take shelter in there?”

    “There are,” Donghae promised, “According to the map, we should be standing right next to it.”

   “All I see are trees and ice!” Kangin stomped his foot, “You’re reading the map wrong!”

   “I am not,” Donghae whined, “Maybe the forest has changed since the map was drawn?”

   “It’s been hundreds of years since that map was drawn, of course the forest changed.”

    “It doesn’t matter now,” HanGeng cut in as he took off his pack and sat it on the ground. “The sun’s setting. We need to set up camp and get a fire going.”

    “You did pack a tent, right?” Kangin questioned, sounding skeptical.

    “Of course I packed a tent,” Donghae defended, removing his own pack and unbuckling the top. “Have a little faith in me, Kangin.”

   “I have faith in you, but sometimes you can be a bit naïve.”

   The three friends worked in silence as they set up their thick animal skin tent, using the surrounding trees for support. Dry wood was hard to come by, so the fire they built was small and their dinner was meager. Kangin glared at the dried fish and cold clumps of bread Donghae handed him. He wasn’t used to such a small selection of food. If the elves existed, he hoped they fed them well.

    “Let me see the map,” HanGeng requested, extending his hand towards Donghae as they all huddled around the fire inside their tent, the smoke filtering out a hole in the roof and escaping into the dark forest. “We have to figure out where we are.”

   “How far inside the forest do you think we are?” Kangin asked, taking a bite of his fish and wrinkling his nose at the salty taste.

    “I’d say we walked about twenty miles today, maybe a little less.” HanGeng answered, “According to this map, we should be near the Elven River. If we follow the river, it will lead us to the Elven palace.”

    “But, there is no river here!” Kangin pointed out, “We’re lost.”

    “The forest has been frozen over for centuries, we just need to look at things from a different perspective.” HanGeng suggested, trying hard not to panic. “I say if we do not find the river by the end of the day tomorrow, we head back to Eoleum.”

   “No!” Donghae shouted, standing up and stomping his foot. “I will not go back to that place.”

    “Donghae, we can’t wonder around out here will no idea where we’re going. The food will run out and we’ll freeze. I know you want to see the elves, but..,”

    “You don’t understand,” Donghae cut off, tears filling his eyes. “I can’t go back. I have nothing left there.”

    “Don’t say that,” Kangin scolded, “You have us. We’re all going to be miserable old bachelors together, remember?”

    “That’s only because no woman is ever good enough for you,” HanGeng teased, “How many girls have you turned down?”

    “Eoleum is full of crusty hags,” Kangin dismissed, “It’s not my fault. What about you? I don’t think I’ve ever seen you with a girl.”

    “Where’d Donghae go?” HanGeng changed the subject as he noticed the younger was no longer in the tent.

   Making sure their cloaks and hoods were secure, Kangin and HanGeng left the tent in search of their friend. The moon was full in the night sky, casting the snow covered forest in an eerie blue light, making it easy to see where they were going. Donghae’s tracks in the snow lead them over a small hill and through a collection of rocks. Fortunately, they found younger seated on a large boulder near what looked like a frozen lake. Donghae’s shoulders shook as he wept beneath his fur lined hood, his tears falling into the moonlit snow.

    “Hae, come back inside the tent.” HanGeng spoke in a gentle tone, “It’s below freezing out here.”

   “I’m sorry,” Donghae wept, his voice sounding lost. “This was stupid. I shouldn’t have dragged you out here with me. I don’t know what I was thinking. Kangin was right, this was foolish.”

    “Don’t cry, kid.” Kangin soothed, taking a seat on the rock next to him. “Now’s not the time to give up. We still have tomorrow to find the river. Yes, this was a bit foolish, but we’re here now.”

    “Big softy,” HanGeng teased Kangin as the older gave Donghae a tight hug.

    Kangin gave HanGeng a warning glare as he stood and offered his hand to Donghae. As the three men made their ways back through the snow a gust of wind tore through the trees, along with the sound of bells. The high pitched sound was unnatural and melodic, causing them to pause.

    “I hear voices,” HanGeng whispered, his eyes moving towards the soft glow of their campfire in the distance.

   Kneeling down behind a set of ice covered rocks, the three men peered through the snow at their small sleeping tint. There were several tall figures standing in front of the opening and the silhouette of someone inside the tint. It was hard see the features of the people, but they had long hair and wore sleek armor.

    “Who are they?” Donghae whimpered, sounding alarmed. “They have weapons.”

   “I’m moving closer, stay here.” HanGeng instructed, sliding away from his hiding spot and through the soft snow.

    Slipping behind a tree trunk, HanGeng held back a gasp as he took in the sight of the tall figures standing in front of their tent. They were dressed in silver armor made of thin metals and soft looking leathers. Their hair was various shades of brown and hung down their backs in a single thick braid. Slim pointed ears shone through their dark hair and their skin was pale, almost glowing in the moonlight.

   “There’s no one here, Sir.” One of the figures stated as he emerged from the tent and bowed to the men outside.

    “Yes, there is.” Another figure replied, turning and gazing in HanGeng’s direction. “I can hear them breathing.”

    Placing his hand over his mouth, HanGeng tried to still his breath, but it was no use. Before he knew what was happening, he had a sword pressed to his throat and a pair of dark eyes was staring down at him.

    “How dare you enter Aleumdaum?” the creature hissed, “No Human is allowed inside Heenim’s realm.”

    “Sir, we found two more! Should we kill them and take their heads to the King?”

    HanGeng’s heart dropped in response to the creature’s words. They’d found Kangin and Donghae and now they were all going to die.

    “No, King Heenim will want them alive.” The creature above HanGeng ordered. “Bind their hands.”

    “Yes, Captain Henry, Sir!”

    “On your feet, Human. I bet the King will want to behead you personally. No man has entered this forest in more than a century. It will be an honor to watch King Heenim tear you apart.”

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!