Thoughts

A Frozen Heart

 

 

     Darkness enclosed the great elven king as he sat weeping on the floor of one of the many passageways inside the palace. Heechul wasn’t sure how long he had run before collapsing onto the floor, but this part of the palace was unfamiliar to him. He was seated at a dead end next to a dark wooden door. This section of his palace was quiet and cold. He’d ended up deep in the lower levels where the inferior elves lived and royals rarely ventured.

    Heechul’s hands shook as he held his swollen stomach beneath his silver robes. He could feel his child moving inside him with soft flutters and harsh kicks. There was power radiating off his unborn son, it swirled through him and filled him with a strange warmth. Heechul didn’t know whether to be happy about his son’s developing powers or sad because he’d been abandoned yet again by the father of his unborn child.

    What hurt Heechul the most was that Leeteuk believed that he’d be trapped by his own child. Heechul would never trap his best friend in a relationship that he didn’t want. He knew that Kangin was Leeteuk’s mate and would never separate them because of their son. Yes, Leeteuk would have responsibilities to help care for his child and raise him to be the next heir, but that didn’t have to mean he would have to leave Kangin. Knowing Leeteuk’s thoughts hurt Heechul deeply. The one person he trusted the most in the entire world had betrayed him.

    Suddenly, Heechul wished that the child inside him belonged to HanGeng. He knew that his human mate would make a good father and would help raise their child well. But, the stability of his people relied on the power of him and his offspring. If only HanGeng was a royal elf like him…,

    The child inside you is not what you think it to be.

    A voice floated through Heechul’s mind, causing him to cease his sobs and glance nervously about the dark passageway. There was no one in sight.

     You are more powerful than you are aware, Sire.

     “Hello?” Heechul called out, flinching when the door next to him opened and a figure dressed in a dark cloak stepped out into the hallway.

    The figure knelt down in front of Heechul and removed his hood. He had long dark hair and pointed ears, signaling he was an inferior elf. The elf did not speak, only tilted his head to the side curiously and reached out to touch Heechul’s stomach. Heechul flinched and tried to scoot away from the mysterious elf, knocking the brunette’s hand away from him in the process.

    It’s been a long time, Sire.

    “Who are you?”

     You do not remember me? I know it has been centuries since we last met, but I was sure you knew my face well.

     “I don’t…,” Heechul stammered as the elf in front of him opened his mouth to reveal his tongue had been cut from his mouth, making him unable to speak. Heechul’s eyes widened in response to the horrifying sight as he realized who was kneeling in front of him. “Kibum?”

     You do remember me, Sire. Kibum replied through his thoughts. I can feel your son’s telepathy inside my head. He will be a very powerful elf.

     “I’m so sorry,” Heechul apologized, “You didn’t deserve what happened to you. I was just so angry. You must think I’m a monster.”

    No, you’re not a monster, Sire. You had just lost your child because of Siwon-ah’s actions. You were not in the right state of mind. I used to hate you for taking my mate from me, but I no longer feel that in my heart. Siwon-ah and I made mistakes and so did you. We were all to blame for what happened.

    “I took your tongue,” Heechul began, just saying it making him queasy. “I had no right to do that. You were just trying to keep your mate. I was blinded by love.”

     You’re the king, you have every right to do anything you wish. Kibum answered with a soft smile. I may have lost my ability to speak, but I have gained much more in my years of solitude. I have learned how to tap into my powers, Sire.

     “But, you’re an inferior elf. You do not have powers.”

     I thought that were true, but it is not. All elves have powers. Royal elves can feel their powers from the day they are born. The bloodlines of the royals are strong. While the dark haired elves are weaker, they still have the potential for developing power. It’s just repressed inside us. There is a ritual to bring forth our powers written in the ancient texts. I found in many years ago while working in the library.

     “Why didn’t you share this with anyone?” Heechul asked, not sure if he were panicked or excited by the things he was hearing. “Did you perform the ritual? What powers do you have?”

       I was afraid to come forward about what I had found. The ancient texts were banned for a reason. Previous rulers found the information within them too dangerous. There are factions that wish to rid our realm of all the lesser elves. If they knew I had found a way to empower the lesser, they would have killed me and destroyed the texts.

     “Then, why tell me? I could do the same.”

    You won’t, Sire. I know that you care for all your people, royal or not. You have even accepted humans into our realm again. The child growing inside you is proof that you do not discriminate based on power.

     “What do you mean? This child belongs to Leeteuk. It’s of royal conception.”

     Your child is a first of his kind. Kibum answered, placing his hand on Heechul’s stomach and shutting his eyes. You are very powerful, Sire. Of all the rulers we have had, your power is the strongest in all of elven history. Though, you have repressed it because of tragedy. Even before what happened with Siwon-ah, your power was hidden from you because it was waiting for your true mate. Our mates are not only for companionship and producing children. They are our other halves in life. AN elf is not fully formed until he meets his mate.

     “What are you saying? I don’t understand what this has to do with Leeteuk and I’s child.”

     The child belongs to your human lover, not Lord Leeteuk. Kibum informed, opening his eyes as he felt Heechul’s son move in response to his words. He is half human, but extremely powerful. His power is confused. It’s underdeveloped and wild. It’s reaching out to those you are closest to in order to find its origin. Your confusion fuels your son’s confusion. He doesn’t know who his father is. The human doesn’t possess the power to connect with him and that he needs.

    “Is that why I can feel a connection with Leeteuk as well?”

     Yes, you are close to him, so your child reacts to him. Your confusion makes him confused as well. But, Leeteuk is not his father.

    “How do you know all this?” Heechul asked, overwhelmed by what he was hearing. “How do I know that you’re not lying to me? I did have your tongue cut out.”

     I have nothing left to lose in life. There is no reason for me to lie to you. Kibum answered. After I lost my ability to speak, I gained the power of sight and perception. I cannot see the future, but I can sense things about people that they themselves cannot see.

    “You do not belong down here in the shadows.” Heechul began as he slowly wobbled to his feet. “I’m bringing you to the upper floors to work.”

    No one can understand me but you, Sire. Once your child is born, you will lose that ability as well. I like it here in the shadows. Here, no one stares or judges me. There will be too many questions. Please, do not make me leave my home?

    “Alright, calm down.” Heechul soothed, seeing the panicked look on Kibum’s face. “Is this your door?”

    Yes, I live here.

    “Then, I will come visit you instead. First, I need to check your claims with Onew and the texts. Do you have the text for the ritual you used or is it still in the library?”

    Magic guards Bimil and does not allow the books to leave. I hid the ritual in one of the book shelves on the second level. It’s under a blue book about snow. I figured no one would want to read about cold weather, since we’re trapped in a blizzard.

    “I’ll find it,” Heechul reassured, turning as HanGeng’s panicked thoughts filled his head.

    He has to be here somewhere.., HanGeng’s thoughts penetrated Heechul’s head. Heechul-ah, where are you? Why are you crying? Please, don’t hide from me? You’re scaring me!

     “I have to go,” Heechul informed Kibum, “Don’t tell anyone what you’ve told me. This is our secret.”

   

  ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!