I am your Father

A Frozen Heart

 

 

    It was very quiet in the great elven palace. Not a sound could be heard echoing throughout its vast halls. All of the elven world was sleeping, for night had fallen long ago and the King had retired to his chambers. King Heenim was seated on the edge of his large canopy bed dressed in a set of thin silver sleeping robes that touched the floor. His hands were poking out of the garment’s billowing sleeves and were pressed against his swollen stomach beneath the shimmering fabric. Six months had now passed since his child was conceived and his stomach was like a boulder attached to his body, making it hard to stand or move properly. He had been six months pregnant when he’d lost Wonhee, making this day especially hard for him.

    Two months went by and Heechul had yet to tell HanGeng that he was the father. Kibum’s words, while convincing, were untrustworthy. Kibum was at his core an inferior elf and a scorned one at that. No matter what he claimed about rituals and growing powers, there was no proof to back it up. Rising from the bed, Heechul wobbled over to the door and slowly made his way out into the hallway. It was the middle of the night and the passages were silent.

   Heechul’s bare feet tapping against the stone floor echoed around him as he walked. He was headed for Bimil, the great elven library, to search for the rituals Kibum had told him about. Even though two long months had passed since Heechul had been told of the ritual, he had yet to make it to the library to search for it. HanGeng spent the daylight hours inside the library and Heechul refused to search for the paper while his human lover was present. He was avoiding the mortal in fear of a confrontation and having to answer questions that he himself was unable to answer.

   Being so late, the library doors were locked by Yesung's, the keeper of knowledge, powers. Yesung had a great aptitude for memory and recollection. He was able to tap into any thought or event he himself had been witness to in the past. This made him the perfect elf to catalog and protect Bimil. As King, Heechul had the power to unlock Yesung’s incantation and enter the library whenever he wished. Pressing his hand against the tall wooden doors, Heechul took a deep breath and willed the doors to open.

   Inside the grand space, the moonlight shone down from the skylight in the center of the library, casting the tall bookshelves in a cool blue light. Heechul moved over to one of the many tables that dotted the room and shuffled through the stacks of papers that covered it. This is where HanGeng had been working, he could smell him and feel his presence on each page that he’d touched. There were mountains of ancient texts stacked on the table and with no filing system to sort through them with, it was taking the human months to sort through it all.     

    “What are you looking for, HanGeng-ah?” Heechul whispered, his breath catching in his throat as he felt a spark of power draw him deeper into one of the stacks of text.

   Tossing papers onto the floor, Heechul frantically dug through the fragile ancient texts until he came in contact to the one that was calling to him. Something about this particular text was different. It was as if it needed him to find it. I wanted him to read it. Lifting the paper from the table Heechul stared at the letters on the page, his eyes darting back and forth as he read what was written upon it. Though it wasn’t the ritual Kibum had sent him to find, it was much more significant.

   “Elven bonding ritual,” Heechul read aloud, “Once a mated pair is chosen by the natural power within you, a bonding ritual can be performed to create a permanent fusion of elf and mate. If the mate chosen is mortal, the ritual will fuse the mortal’s sole to his eleven mate until the day the elf dies. Time will not affect the mortal, nor will it age him. He will live his days as he is now, forever attached to his mate and able to live as long as the immortal he was destined to be with.”

   Feeling faint, Heechul sat down at the table and stared at the text with wide eyes. If this ritual were real, it would solve many of the problems he was having with HanGeng. He could guarantee HanGeng’s presence in his life for as long he lived, whether it be one more year or a hundred.

   “It takes the magic of a King to perform this ritual, no other elf is powerful enough to do so. Though the magic is real, the ritual has never been performed in all of elf history. Mortals and immortals rarely bond and those that have were not treated well by their ruler. Think carefully before asking your monarch to perform the bonding ritual, for he may not approve of such a union.” Heechul continued to read.

    “I hope you’re not considering using that ritual, Sire.” A voice spoke from behind Heechul causing him to flinch and spin around in his chair.

   Yesung stood a couple feet away, staring at him from beneath his black laced hood and his soft pink and blonde hair reflecting the blue light of the moon above his head.

   “Yesung, you scared me.” Heechul spoke, placing his hand on his stomach as his son began kicking him. “You woke up my son, Ow!”

    “That ritual is an abomination to elf kind,” Yesung continued as if Heechul hadn’t spoken, “Humans have no place in our realm, mated pair or not.”

    “I think that is my decision, not yours.” Heechul scolded, “If you haven’t noticed several mated pairs have been created between humans.”

    “Yes, I know. Your cousin Eunhyuk is sleeping with that childlike mortal and your advisor Leeteuk has been mated to the grumpy one.” Yesung answered with a look of disgust, “Did you know that Lord Leeteuk has been impregnated by his human. He’s two months along. The father of your child is carrying an abomination inside him, Sire. You must do something about it!”

    “Leeteuk’s pregnant?” Heechul asked, the news shocking to him. “How do you know this?”

    “He’s been coming in here each day and reading books on child birth. Onew informed me of Lord Leeteuk’s condition this morning when he came into the library and asked for a book on twins.”

    “Leeteuk is carrying twins?”

    “No Sire, you are.” Yesung informed, “You do know that, right?”

    “I am not,” Heechul stated flatly.

    “Unless, Onew is a liar, you are, Sire.” Yesung argued.

    “I have to go,” Heechul began as he stood as fast as his pregnant belly would allow and wobble towards the door. “There have been too many secrets kept from me. I have a doctor to confront.”

    “Sire, you cannot take the texts from Bimil.” Yesung warned, for Heechul still held the ritual in his hand.

    “I am King and I can take what I wish,” Heechul informed, using his greater power to push pass the incantations and step into the hallway with the ritual in his grasp. “Good night, Yesung. We will discuss your attitude towards humans at a later date.”

    Moving as quickly as he could, Heechul wound through the dark passageways to Onew’s chambers. He didn’t care that it was the middle of the night. He needed answers and he needed them now. Too many people were telling him too many shocking and conflicting things. This all needed to be sorted out tonight.

   “Wake up!” Heechul shouted as he stormed into the palace doctor’s bedroom and caused the younger elf to wake with a jerk, the male sleeping next to him also waking in the process.

    Heechul eyed Taemin, one of the younger royals in his court and Onew’s longtime lover. The fair male was almost as beautiful as he was himself, but there was a baby-faced quality to him that took away from his elegance. Taemin clutched the sheets against his chest and stared at him with wide eyes, clearly surprised that the King himself was standing in his bedchambers.

   “Leave us, Taemin. I need to speak with Onew alone.”

   “Yes, Sire.” Taemin answered, slipping out of bed and retreating from the room in his silk pajama pants.

    “Sire, it’s late. Has something happened?” Onew questioned as he sat up and focused his sleepy gaze on the pregnant monarch in front of him.

    “Why didn’t you tell me Leeteuk was pregnant!?!”

    “He asked me not to, Sire. He didn’t wish to worry you during your last few months of pregnancy. We were going to tell you once your own child was born.”

    “Fair enough,” Heechul grumbled, understanding his friend’s reasoning. “But, why wasn’t I informed that I was carrying twins!! I think that is something I should know about!”

    “I’m not one hundred percent sure about it yet,” Onew replied, sounding guilty. “I was waiting for your six month check up to tell you. I found a test that will help me determine how many children you are carrying as well as the paternity of each child, but it can’t be performed until the sixth month.”

    “Then what are you sleeping for?” Heechul huffed, turning on his heels and heading for the door. “Come, we’re performing this test right now.”

    “But, Sire…,” Onew stammered, “We need both potential father’s present and it’s the middle of the night.”

    “Then, wake them!” Heechul shouted, tired of all the unanswered questions and tired of being alone. “I need to know whose child I am carrying and what is going to happen to this kingdom! I’m exhausted, Onew! I can’t do this any longer!!”

    “Yes, Sire.”

    After Onew was properly dressed and Leeteuk and HanGeng had been summoned from their beds, Heechul found himself lying on the examination platform in Onew’s office. Leeteuk and HanGeng stood on either side of him staring down at him with concerned looks. They hadn’t been told why they were here and probably feared that something was wrong.

   “First of all,” Heechul began as he reached out and took HanGeng’s hand, his skin glowing softly as he did so. “I’m sorry for shutting you out, Hannie. I hurt you and that was not my intention.”

    “You did, but I can forgive you.” HanGeng replied, “Is there something wrong?”

    “Nothing is wrong, Hannie. We’re going to perform a test and need you both here for it.”

    “What kind of test?” Leeteuk asked, earning a glare from his king.

    “You, I am furious with!” Heechul seethed, “First, you abandon me to be with Kangin, which I understand because he’s your mate, but I may be carrying your son.”

    “I didn’t abandon you, Sire. I’ve been trying to see you for weeks, but you ordered the royal guard to keep me away from you.” Leeteuk pointed out.

    “That’s not the reason I’m angry,” Heechul clarified, “I’m angry because you’re pregnant and you didn’t tell me!!”

    “You’re pregnant?” HanGeng repeated, staring at Leeteuk with wide eyes. “When did that happen? Who’s the father?”

    “I got my cycle a couple months ago and I didn’t realize it until the next morning.” Leeteuk admitted, “Kangin-ah’s the father. I’m pregnant with an inferior child. I was afraid to tell anyone.”

    “Because the child is half human?”

    “Yes,” Leeteuk nodded, turning his attention back to Heechul. “I don’t care either way. He is my child and I love him even if he will be a slave. But, there are many who will not approve and I was afraid you would be angry with me, Sire.”

   “Why would I be angry with you for conceiving a child with your mate?” Heechul asked as he took Leeteuk’s hand, so that he was holding hands with both of his lovers. “I’m happy for you, Leeteuk-ah. It doesn’t matter if your child is inferior. He will not be the heir to a kingdom, so if he has no powers it will not affect anything. He will still be your son no matter what.”

    “Sire, I’m ready.” Onew interrupted the intimate moment. “I need a blood sample from each of the potential father and then I will have to take a sample from your child.”

    “How will you do that?” Heechul questioned, sounding worried. “Will it harm the child?”

   “No,” Onew reassured, “Though, it may be painful for you, Sire. Lord Leeteuk and HanGeng will need to step out as a do this. It’s kind of invasive.”

     Once a sample of blood had been taken from Leeteuk and HanGeng, the pair stepped out into the hallway to wait. Leeteuk leaned against the wall and stared at his feet, not really sure what to say. So many things had happened in his life and he had yet to share it with anyone, not even Kangin.

    “Does Kangin know you’re pregnant?” HanGeng asked, as if he read Leeteuk’s thoughts, which wasn’t the case.

    “No, I haven’t told him yet.” Leeteuk answered, “The only person who knows is Onew and maybe Yesung. He’s kind of a snoop.”

    “Kangin deserves to know,”

    “I know he does,” Leeteuk agreed, “I’m just afraid of how he’s going to react. He’s still a bit uncomfortable about us being mated. It confuses him.”

    “It confuses me too,” HanGeng stated with a heavy sigh. “Everything about your world confuses me. I’ve read so many things in the texts and I still have no idea how anything works. I just wish Heechul would stop pushing me away. I miss him.”

    “He misses you too,” Leeteuk reassured, “He’s just afraid. As King he has so many responsibilities to his people that he can’t afford to be selfish like I am. Heechul loves you, I can see it in his eyes when he looks at you. He’s just afraid to let himself love you completely. Heechul-ah’s been hurt so many times that he’s afraid he’ll lose you too.”

    “I’m afraid of losing him as well, but we can’t let that fear drive us a part.”

    “I wish he knew that,”

    Several long minutes passed as they waited for Onew to let them back inside the examination room. This test was taking longer than the others, so long that they ended up seated on the floor fighting off sleep as they waited. It was late and they’d both been pulled from their beds, making them exhausted and ready to fall back asleep.

   “You may come back in now,” Onew’s voice whispered, causing both males to stand and look at him with worried eyes. “Be quiet, the King is sleeping.”

    “Why did it take so long,” Leeteuk asked in a hushed tone as he and HanGeng followed Onew back inside the examination room.

    “I had to give him a sleeping draft because he wasn’t able to stand the pain,” Onew informed, “His body fought my intrusion. The birth canal isn’t meant to be breeched until the child is at full term, so it was difficult collecting the samples I needed.”

    “Did you get the samples?” HanGeng inquired, glancing over to where Heechul lay sleeping soundly on the examination platform, his lower half covered in a thick grey blanket.

    “Yes, and I was able to make contact with both fetuses.”

    “Both?” Leeteuk repeated, “You mean…,”

    “Yes, his majesty is pregnant with twins.” Onew answered, “I am sure of it.”

   “But, there haven’t been any elven twins in centuries.”

   “It takes a very powerful monarch to produce twins. His majesty has more power within him than he himself understands.” Onew answered, “He will give birth to two elven princes and two heirs.”

    “Who’s the father?” HanGeng asked hesitantly, “Will they be inferiors?”

    “I tested both child’s samples with each of yours. There were two positive and two negative results.” Onew detailed, inspecting his test vials as he did so. “One child belongs to Leeteuk and the other is yours, HanGeng.”

   “How is that even possible?”

   “From what I’ve read, it is quite possible. You both mated with his majesty in the same twenty-four hour period. It overlapped the conception period and resulted into two children, one inferior and one royal.”

    “Heechul-ah said that he would give away his child if it were inferior,” Leeteuk pointed out, “Will he still do that now. There’s an heir with enough power to rule. Why give up the other?”

    “I do not know the answer to that,” Onew replied, “You’ll have to ask his majesty when he wakes. Though, a congratulations is in order my Lord. You are going to have two beautiful children, one with your mate and one with the King. You should be proud.”

    “He was going to give away our child,” HanGeng whispered, looking at his sleeping mate with a disappointed gaze. “I won’t let that happen. I don’t care about eleven law or classes. That child is mine and he will not be cast aside because he is considered inferior.”

    “I won’t let that happen,” Leeteuk reassured, “It’s going to be hard, but this realm needs to change. With this birth, as well as my own child’s, we can rewrite the laws.”

    “Would Heechul do that?”

    “He will if we both work together,” Leeteuk plotted, “Are you ready to start a revolution, HanGeng. Are you willing to fight for your child?”

    “Yes,” HanGeng declared firmly, “I’m ready.”

   

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS = FASTER UPDATES!!!