Irrational Fears

75 Days of Summer
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chanyeol mournfully stared out the clouded living room window, raising a large hand to rub away some of the condensation in order to catch a clearer final glimpse of his best friend's retreating form.

He unconsciously let out a pitiful whimper as he watched Baekhyun get into his mom's car and speed away, flopping backwards onto the couch as soon as the vehicle was no longer in sight.

"What am I supposed to do now?" He whined to himself, despite the fact that no one was present to hear him.

His mother was constantly on business trips or attending various functions, and thus he essentially had free reign of the house.

The negative effect of this was that Park Chanyeol inevitably grew quite lonely, seeing as there was nobody around and practically everything he enjoyed doing required another person- namely, Baekhyun.

But Baekhyun's parents were scheduled to fly out the following morning on vacation and had wanted to spend a bit of time with their son before they departed.

"Doesn't mean they have to steal him away just to abandon him soon afterwards. Jerks." He muttered to himself before reluctantly getting to his feet and heading into the kitchen to see if there was anything good to eat.

Seconds later, he came to the conclusion that there wasn't, and slammed the refrigerator door shut.

After peering into various cabinets and his pantry and finding basically nothing there as well, he let out a defeated sigh.

"Those damn brats did eat everything." He grumbled, trudging up the stairs and collapsing onto his unmade bed.

"What is there to do? Baekhyun, come back~"

Park Chanyeol was immensely bored, to say the least.

He spent the night watching various T.V. shows but he couldn't find it in himself to really pay attention, and thus it wasn't long before he had passed out, clutching a pillow tightly to his chest.

The next night seemed to pass as slowly as the one before it, but this time Chanyeol was playing games on his laptop, consistently glancing at the time and inwardly groaning when it didn't seem to be getting later.

It may seem strange, but Chanyeol didn't really know what to do without Baekhyun being there.

The completely unexpected sound of a knock at his front door caused him to leap to his feet and race to the window beside it, curiously peeking out at whoever was visiting at such an ungodly hour.

(It was really just 10 o'clock.)

As soon as he saw who was standing on the other side- although it was slightly difficult given that it was pouring and his window was coated in raindrops- he threw open the door and pulled the shivering boy into his arms.

"Baekkie! What the hell are you doing here!? Can't you see it's raining?"

Baekhyun didn't hesitate to shove the giant off of him and shoot him an unamused look.

"I'm not blind, Chanyeol. But I- I needed to get away from my house."

A tremor shot down his spine, and Chanyeol immediately wrapped his arms back around his trembling best friend.

"What happened?" He asked softly, completely ignoring the fact that his body was becoming drenched as well due to how closely he was holding Baekhyun to him.

"They want to eat me, Channie!" Baekhyun exclaimed, gripping onto the hem of the younger's cotton tee and balling up the soft fabric in his tiny fists.

"Who wants to eat you!?" Chanyeol demanded, a note of panic in his increasingly turbulent voice.

His grasp on Baekhyun's waist tightened even more, and Baekhyun let out a muffled gasp as he burrowed his face into the curve of the other boy's neck.

"The raccoons." He mumbled, causing Chanyeol to fall silent for a moment before he let out a loud guffaw.

"Raccoons? Baek, they won't hurt you. Besides, you were inside, right?"

"So? Channie, you don't understand! They were right outside my window! They were clawing at the glass! I swear, one of them even flipped

Please log in to read the full chapter