Sweets and Shivers

75 Days of Summer
Please log in to read the full chapter

                         

“Freedomfreedomfreedomfreedomfreedomfreedomfreedooooom~” Baekhyun ran around Chanyeol’s bedroom, high on both adrenaline and an unimaginable amount of sugar.

“I knew I shouldn’t have let you eat that much chocolate so late,” Chanyeol groaned, arms snaking around his best friend’s waist to hold him in place and keep him from running into anything.

Baekhyun craned his neck in order to meet the younger’s eyes, a delirious smile finding its way upon his pale lips.

“Freedom!” Baekhyun chirped one remaining time, twisting in Chanyeol’s grasp so that he was facing him and their chests were pressed together tightly.

“We’re free, Channie…” Baekhyun mumbled, eyes fluttering to a close as he drowsily clutched onto the collar of Chanyeol’s shirt and slowly began slipping forward.

His head came to rest directly over Chanyeol’s heart, his breathing evening out and making it quite clear that Baekhyun had already drifted off into dreamland.

Baekhyun muttered something incoherent as Chanyeol’s hands slid down to the back of his knees, swooping him up to cradle him like a sleeping child, which Baekhyun often seemed to be.

A child, that is. Baekhyun didn’t sleep nearly as much as his nonsensical sidekick liked to.

Chanyeol gently set the delicate brunette down on his bed, rearranging the boy until he deemed the whole arrangement to be comfortable. He quietly drew the blankets up to Baekhyun’s chin before clambering up beside him, stretching his body out atop the covers because he was much too warm to get under them.

He glanced at his alarm clock, eyes widening once he saw that it was nearing three in the morning.

“Thank goodness you crashed, Baekkie,” He murmured, tenderly brushing the boy’s bangs out of his eyes before closing his own.

“I was…” A drawn-out yawn. “…so tired…”

It was highly probable that Chanyeol joined Baekhyun in his dreams.

 

~

Although Chanyeol was the one out of both of them that preferred to sleep in, he was the first one to awaken, hurrying downstairs to begin making breakfast to celebrate their very first day of summer vacation.

Their very first day of ‘freedom,’ which Baekhyun so aptly called it.

He was just loading up a plate with freshly made pancakes when he heard a creaking on the stairs, and he whirled around, consequently being graced with the sight of Baekhyun lethargically making his way into the dining room, his hair tousled and his clothes in disarray.

“Ch-Ch-” Baekhyun’s mouth opened wide in a yawn, stopping him from completing his sentence.

He rubbed his curled fists against the corners of his eyes in an attempt to make the world come into focus more quickly after having been asleep for so long.

“Channie,” Baekhyun finally managed, motioning to the food Chanyeol had been hard at work preparing.

“What’s all this?”

Chanyeol hastily shrugged his shoulders, a guarded look plastered across his normally much more vibrant face.

“Celebrating our escape from school, that’s what.”

Baekhyun laughed, a light, tinkling, airy sound which never ceased to make anyone within hearing distance crack up as well.

Chanyeol pulled out a seat for him, gesturing for him to go right ahead and begin eating after he was suitably situated.

“Chocolate chip pancakes, Baekhyun, your favorite!”

Baekhyun made a little humming sound in agreement, immediately shoveling a forkful of the amazing hot cakes into his mouth.

A contented moan escaped his lips as he reveled in the taste of the sweet, fluffy pancakes, and upon hearing this, Chanyeol’s face turned a bright crimson color which was impossible not to notice.

“What is it, Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked curiously, barely fighting off the smirk which threatened to spread across his face.

“Er- nothing. Do you… like them?”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes before taking another bite, making a similar sound to the one he’d made moments earlier.

“Of course I like them. They’re my favorite, stupid.” He grinned to reassure Chanyeol that he was only joking about him having less than average intelligence, gesturing towards the chair at the other end of the table.

“Aren’t you going to eat, too?”

Chanyeol slid into the seat across from Baekhyun, pouring syrup onto his own stack of pancakes before taking a bite as well.

“What do you wanna do today, Baek?” He asked through a mouthful of food, causing Baekhyun to shy away and make a disgusted face.

“Gross!” He cried, whacking Chanyeol on the arm. It must not have been very hard, because it didn’t seem to faze the younger boy in the least. He just continued to chew his pancakes, amusement twinkling in his chestnut eyes.

“You didn’t answer my question, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun was just opening his mouth to reply when Chanyeol suddenly jumped to his feet, running over to the stove.

“Oh! I almost forgot!”

Seconds later, Chanyeol was placing strips of cooked meat onto his best friend’s plate.

“Bacon for Baekhyun~” He sang, before settling back onto his chair.

Baekhyun blankly stared at his plate for a few moments before lifting his gaze to meet Chanyeol’s, regret evident in his eye

Please log in to read the full chapter