Not a Bad Thing

Chorus

“Oh right, Sica’s dad has nothing but nice words for one Kim Taeyeon.” Jay’s statement made the three girls sigh in relief. “I see you brought a few friends.” He waved at Krystal to which the younger Jung replied with a polite nod.

 

“You don’t mind, do you?”

 

Jay shook his head and led them to their rooms. They followed closely while Yuri and Key trailed behind.

 

“It didn’t work. She didn’t even notice it.”

 

“Yuri, look at her. She could barely open her eyes.” Key side-eyed her. “I’ve never seen someone looking so gorgeous and having the self-esteem of a pineapple.”

 

Yuri sighed. She was feeling a bit down ever since they picked up Taeyeon from her house and the latter didn’t notice her hair but she thought maybe Key was right. Maybe Taeyeon would notice later on. “Who are you even texting?”

 

“Binnie.”

 

“Who’s that?”

 

“Your boss’ son. Who else?”

 

“Oh so now you’re all chummy because you found out he’s an heir to some big shot businessman?”

 

“No. We’re all chummy because I’ve figured we’re cut from the same cloth.”

 

“Just because both of you came from an affluent family?”

 

Key huffed. “He let me put make up on him. If someone trusts me enough to let me do that, there’s really no reason for us to not get along. Oh, by the way, did you see what the love of your life did earlier?”

 

“Taeyeon-unnie? What?”

 

Key put his phone in his pocket and studied Yuri’s facial expression. He wasn’t sure if he’s imagining things but for someone who’s met someone for the first time, Taeyeon seemed hostile towards the guy. He thought the others would notice it, too. It seemed pretty obvious for him. Maybe he just had a knack in sensing hostility. He lives for it, after all. “Oh nothing. Never mind.”

 

“Krys, your dad told me about your girlfriend. Do you want me to get you guys a separate room? For privacy?”

 

“That’d be great.” Tiffany answered, sending her sweetest smile to the guy.

 

Jay smiled at him and led them first to a vacant room that had one bed. Krsytal was going to accept it but remembered who she was with and how weird the room arrangements would be if she and Tiffany got a room of their own. “What about them though? Who would share a room together?”

 

One look at Key and the guy knew what she wanted. “I’ll be sharing a room with Jessica-noona. A privilege that only I have because I’m her sister’s most treasure best friend.”

 

Jessica didn’t complain and Key and Krystal mentally high-fived. They did it for two completely different reasons. Krystal was satisfied that her sister won’t be sharing a room with Taeyeon and Key pat himself on the back because Yuri would be sharing the room with the older Kim.

 

Yuri blushed when Key whispered to her discreetly, “Go get her, Tiger.”

 

“Jay, do you mind if we take a look around?”

 

“Not at all. I am supposed to show you around so why don’t you guys settle in first and I’ll come by after an hour and we’d take a look around.”

 

Jessica smiled and thanked him before she got inside her room, Key in tow. The rest did the same thing. Taeyeon immediatey threw herself on the bed and Yuri decided to take a quick shower. When she finished, Taeyeon was still deep in slumber. A few minutes later, someone came knocking on their door and it was Jessica.

 

“Jay’s showing me around. Do you want to come? Key’s sleeping and Krystal was too lazy and if Krystal’s not coming, Tiffany’s definitely staying. So I was wondering if you and...” she took a peek of the unconscious figure on the bed beside Yuri’s, “oh, she’s still sleeping.”

 

“I could wake her up.”

 

Before Jessica could even protest, Yuri has already walked towards Taeyeon, gently nudging her to wake up. When she did wake up, she excused herself to get ready and told them to wait for her. She was still sleepy but she couldn’t just let Jessica be alone with her ex-boyfriend. She doesn’t know the guy which only makes her trust him the same way she trusts people who don’t give extra ketchup when she orders large fries.

 

So Taeyeon tagged along just so she could keep an eye on both of them. Yuri went with them just so she could be with Taeyeon. The whole time Jay and Jessica were talking about the resort’s amenities, she and Taeyeon were trailing behind and observing.

 

“You’re doing a great job in this,” Yuri joked, “looking after Jessica-unnie for Yoong.”

 

Taeyeon halted. She was too tired earlier but now she’s come to a realization. She was there to look after Jessica just in case this Jay pull something funny but she was supposed to be doing that for her sister since Yoona wasn’t there to do this herself. “Ah, right.”

 

Yuri waited for her to catch up and Taeyeon, for the first time that day, finally paid attention to something else other than Jessica. “You changed your hair color. It looks nice. Was it already like that earlier?”

 

Yuri’s hand shot up to her hair and self-consciously tucked a loose strand behind her ear. “Yeah...I-it was Key who told me I should get it changed. Just to mix things up...a bit.”

 

“It really does look great on you. Like a different you except you’re still my sister’s best friend.”

 

Yuri laughed it off. Sure she was elated that Taeyeon thinks she looks great with the new hair but she was certainly hoping she’d think of her more than just Yoona’s best friend.

 

The two of them turned their heads towards the two people walking ahead of them when they heard them laughing.

 

“Looks like the two of them are having too much fun.” Yuri looked at Taeyeon and grinned. “We should do something about that.”

 

It doesn’t take a genius for Taeyeon to figure out that Yuri was planning something mischievous so she just went along with it.

 

 

---

 

 

Krystal saw everything from the balcony of their room. How Taeyeon and Yuri seemed to be plotting something and how Yuri “accidentally” splashed water on Jay and Jessica. She’s willing to bet that when Yuri bowed to apologize to the two, she was holding her laughter in and Taeyeon was trying to make up an excuse as to why Yuri suddenly decided it’d be fun to dip her foot on the water and started kicking towards their direction.

 

“Something’s going on and I’m starting to figure out what it is.”

 

She didn’t bother turning around because she’d recognize that voice anywhere. “You’re imagining things again.”

 

“Oh am I? Did I just imagine Taeyeon giving the nastiest look that guy who did nothing but invite us here? He’s not even letting us pay. There’s something I don’t know and you know how I’m not comfortable not knowing something.”

 

“Stay out of it, Key. It’s not important and it doesn’t concern you.”

 

“When have I passed out on gossip?” Key put an arm around Krystal which she hastily shook off.

 

“Oh god, I’m only telling you this because I could barely keep it to myself. I can’t tell Tiffany because it’d be really complicated because she’s sort of involved with the people that are involved.” She turned to face Key and pointed a finger at him. “You can never tell anyone.”

 

“I will cut my fingers off first before I tell any soul.”

 

She sighed and double checked if someone else was in earshot. “Taeyeon is still in love with my sister.”

 

“Still?”

 

“She’s unnie’s ex-girlfriend.”

 

“And Yoona doesn’t know.”

 

“Yes and what I don’t get is why Taeyeon broke up with her. I don’t get it. She seems to still love her a whole lot.”

 

“Is it important for you to know? Your sister obviously has moved on.”

 

“Yeah but...” Krystal thought back to those times she’s seen Taeyeon trying to hold everything in, “I just feel sorry for her and I’m not even supposed to feel that way because she hurt my sister and yet I still do feel bad.”

 

“Looks like the little monster have a soft spot for the person who hurt her sister. That’s totally not wrong.”

 

Krystal, sensing the sarcasm, shoved Key away from her. “I want to know what made her do it.”

 

“Well, good luck on trying to make her tell you about that. I’ll be going downstairs to get a snack. You wanna come with?”

 

Krystal shook her head and looked back at the four people at the shore. “Tiffany would go bat crazy if she finds out I left her to go eat.”

 

Key laughed, thinking Krystal was just joking or exaggerating. He realized she wasn’t. “Wow! When I get back from eating all the goddamn snack I want, we’ll be having a serious talk about this situation you have with Tiffany.”

 

“Situation? Don’t you mean relationship?”

 

Key didn’t answer and walked out of their room.

 

 

---

 

 

“Why do you seem so sad nowadays?”

 

Jay and Jessica went up to change their clothes, leaving Taeyeon and Yuri who were soaked from head to toe because of the little goofing around that they did earlier.

 

“Do I?”

 

“You do.” Yuri didn’t wait for Taeyeon to follow it up and she’s made up her mind. She wasn’t going to beat around the bush this time. “You must’ve really cared a lot about this person for you to still be sad about not being your life anymore. You say it’s all in the past now but I don’t think you’ve moved on yet.”

 

“It’s hard to move on if—“ She didn’t finish what she was saying since she could be giving away the identity of that person and it wasn’t really the wisest thing to do.

 

“You’re so secretive.”

 

“What I did wasn’t something I should be bragging about. I was a complete jerk.”

 

“You’re not a jerk.” Yuri bit her lips, not wanting to say anymore but what her mind wanted didn’t seem to agree with her lips at the moment. “I don’t like jerks and...and I like you so...simple logic. You’re one of the nicest person that I know.”

 

 Taeyeon smiled and thanked her. “As far as I’m concerned, you’re the nicest person I’ve ever met.”

 

Yuri was slightly disappointed that her little confession was disregarded but she wasn’t going to push it.  She was, however, willing to push more to know something more about Taeyeon’s previous relationship. “If they...or he was in front—“

 

“She. She’s a she.” Taeyeon felt silly that she was embarrassed to say that when the girl beside her has friends who are also into girls.

 

“If she was right here right now, what would you tell her?”

 

Taeyeon has never been asked this question before. Granted, she’s never really told anyone about her and Jessica. “I don’t think I could put into words what I want to say to her except maybe I’m sorry.”

 

“I don’t believe you did whatever you did just because you wanted to hurt her. You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself, Taeyeon-unnie.” She stood up and tried to rid herself of the sand that got stuck on her clothes. “We should probably change or else we’d be itching all night.

 

 

---

 

 

Krystal and Tiffany were having dinner with Jessica at the Japanese restaurant in the hotel. Jessica was telling them about how pretty the sunset was and how it was stupid of them to miss it. Krystal rebutted saying it wouldn’t be the last sunset and that the only reason Jessica was able to see it was because she didn’t have Yoona beside her. “If Yoona-unnie was here with us, you’d also be in bed with her instead of watching the stupid sunset.” Jessica could only reply with a glare.

 

“Speaking of Yoona, you could finish my sushi because I have to call her and tell her the good news.”

 

“What good news?”

 

“That it’s been settled and we’re going to be holding the wedding here. Also, we’re going to get a discount.”

 

“You asked Jay-oppa for a discount? Have you no shame? What is Yoona-unnie going to say about this?”

 

“This was her idea. It was her who told me to ask Jay if we could get a discount.” Jessica stood up, phone in hand, and went to a spot that has better coverage.

 

“You should’ve told me Yoona was cheap.”

 

Tiffany shrugged. “I didn’t know she was. Maybe they’re just thinking about the future, you know, saving up. Could you pass me your sister’s left-over sushi?”

 

Krystal took the plate and passed it on to Tiffany. While her girlfriend devoured the sushi, she was staring at her sister who was all smiles talking to her girlfriend on the phone.

 

“Yoona-unnie and my sister really match well, no?”

 

Tiffany nodded and wiped the side of . “They’re one of those good-looking couple that you either envy or hate on.”

 

“Like a match made in heaven.”

 

Tiffany snickered and leaned on Krystal. “What about us?”

 

“Us? We’re a match made somewhere else.”

 

“I would’ve busted your lips open if you had said ‘hell’.”

 

Krystal chuckled and patted Tiffany’s head. “What do you think about Yoona-unnie’s sister?”

 

“Doing a background check on the in-laws? Taeyeon-unnie’s cute.” Krystal looked at her and she immediately retracted what she said. “Okay, okay, you’re the only person who should be cute in my eyes. God.”

 

“Don’t call me god. ‘Your Highness” would suffice.” Krystal grinned mischievously.

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes. “Taeyeon-unnie’s a really good person and Yoona really loves her. Now if you take that and turn it into figures and you triple it, that’s how much she loves Yoona. She’d do anything for Yoona’s sake.”

 

It then hit Krystal. She looked back at her sister who was still on the phone, giggling, probably talking about wedding plans with Yoona. She’s not a hundred percent sure but she knew her guess was close to the truth.

 

 

---

 

 

“I asked him about it jokingly but he said he was going to give us a good price.”

 

“This ex of yours is nice. I like him.”

 

“He really is. That’s why my dad likes him.”

 

Yoona huffed, jealous of the fact that her future father-in-law is fond of Jessica’s last boyfriend. “I take back what I said. I don’t like him.”

 

Jessica chuckled, finding Yoona’s reaction absolutely adorable. It was making her miss the younger girl even more. “Yoong?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Come back sooner so we could plan all of this together.”

 

“My, my, are you excited to get married to me?”

 

Jessica sensed the teasing in her voice. “I am and I’d be very upset if you tell me you’re not.”

 

“That’s crazy. If we could get married right after I get back then we should totally do it.”

 

She whined, “No, planning it together is more fun.”

 

“Look forward to me getting back to Seoul.I miss you.”

 

“Me too. I should go. Wouldn’t want my bill to go off the roof, right penny pincher?”

 

“I’m not a penny pincher. I’m just thinking about our future.”

 

Jessica laughed. She couldn’t deny the fact that Yoona has matured a lot and she could see it by the way she speaks about their future together. They said their goodbyes and Jessica was going to go back in the restaurant but she changed her mind when she saw Taeyeon heading towards the beach. She sent a message to her sister saying she and Tiffany should go back up without her before following Taeyeon.

 

She wasn’t sure why she was doing it. It wasn’t until they got to the beach that she let Taeyeon become aware of her presence.

 

“Sic—Jessica, what are you doing here?”

 

“I was stalking the Kim Taeyeon.”

 

“Should I file a restraining order?”

 

“Ha...ha...shorty’s got jokes.” Jessica took off her slippers and sat on it. Taeyeon followed suit, sitting an arm’s length.

 

Jessica always thought it’d be awkward being with her more so being alone with her but the silence was surprisingly tolerable. Taeyeon, on the other hand, had questions on her mind that she wasn’t sure she should say out loud, worried that she might cause an awkward atmosphere.

 

“Yoona’s becoming more responsible. Have you noticed?”

 

“Yeah the kid doesn’t spend much. The day before she left, she asked me if she should sell all the shoes that she doesn’t use anymore. She didn’t tell me why she wanted to do that but I’m guessing it has to do with your wedding.”

 

Jessica nodded and silence took over once again. Then she remembered something that made her laugh which caused Taeyeon to look at her and think she’s odd. “What?”

 

“I just...remembered that time we were also at a beach sitting like this.”

 

Taeyeon remembers it but if her memory serves her right, they weren’t sitting like this. There was a nonexistent gap between them and she’s pretty sure she had an arm around Jessica but there was no use going into details so she just said yes.

 

“We had those gifts for each other. Where’s that shirt with my stupid faces on it, by the way?”

 

“You hated my gift so much you left it at my place on purpose.” Taeyeon didn’t. She genuinely forgot to bring it with her when she left. “It’s gone though. Burnt it.”

 

Taeyeon turned to Jessica to see if she was serious and she seemed like she was.

 

“Family gathering. It was some sort of tradition. Every year we’d gather and make a bonfire and have drinks. That year I volunteered to make the bonfire and I put the shirt in there without the others noticing. I was pissed off.” Jessica remembered it like it happened yesterday. She smiled as she recalled how bitter she was over the break-up.

 

Taeyeon did her own reminiscing. “Remember those voice mails you sent me a day after we broke up?”

 

Jessica looked at her in horror. “What voice mails?”

 

“You don’t...remember?”

 

“What did I say in them?”

 

Taeyeon shuddered when she saw Jessica’s glare. She should’ve figured out that Jessica was probably too drunk to know that she’s dialled her number and left her a handful of voice mails. “Nothing. Forget about it.”

 

“Kim Taeyeon, tell me now. What did I say in those voice mails?”

 

“Mostly swear words.”

 

“Oh,” Jessica calmed down, “well I was angry.”

 

“I noticed.” Taeyeon deliberately left out the other content for the sake of Jessica’s pride. “It’s getting cold. We should go back to our rooms.”

 

Jessica agreed. Her mind was still occupied with one question and on their way back to their respective rooms, she continued pondering about it.

 

“Good night,” Taeyeon said before going in her room that she shared with Yuri.

 

Jessica stayed there for a few more seconds. “Should we tell Yoong that we had a relationship?” she mumbled before leaving. She got inside her room and was surprised to see Key in there. When she left to have dinner with Tiffany and Krystal, Key told her she was going to be out the whole night. “Hi, Key.”

 

“Hey. Tell me honestly, which eye shadow should I use?”

 

She sighed. It was going to be a night full of talks about make-up again.

 

 

______

Title: Not a Bad Thing by Justin Timberlake i've totally given up on the title of every chapter