Isn't She Lovely

Chorus

Yoona descended the stairs and walked towards the dining area of the Lefebvre’s house. Minyoung was instructing the help where to put the dishes when she caught sight of Yoona. “Yoona, take a seat. It’ll only be the two of us tonight. My husband’s still at work and he won’t be home ‘til later.”

 

“So it’s just us two who would eat all of these?” Yoona asked as she sat down and counted the dish on the table. There’s a variety of delicious food that was set on the table but there was something missing. “You don’t...eat or serve rice, unnie?”

 

Minyoung smiled and it reminded Yoona of the way her mother would use to smile at her and her sister. “Oh right, I forgot. It’s been a while since I’ve asked the help to cook rice for me. I’ve gotten so used to eating bread or pasta. I’ll ask them to cook rice then. Is it okay for you to wait a bit longer?”

 

“Oh no, no, no. You don’t have to. It’s fine. I could eat anything. I don’t mind. I’m just used to seeing a bowl full of rice on the table.” Yoona rubbed the back of her neck, suddenly feeling shy thinking that she sounded so picky.

 

Minyoung sat across her. “I’ll tell them to cook rice from now on.”

 

“I’ll eat whatever they put on the table, unnie. You don’t have to spoil me.” Yoona smiled and started digging in.

 

For a moment, the lady thought Yoona was putting food in and swallowing it right away without chewing it. She later figured out that Yoona was just eating at an extremely fast pace and she found herself saying, “Take your time. No one’s going to take the food away from you.” She chuckled when Yoona ducked her head and smiled shyly. She started joining her but she would glance at the girl across her who looked so satisfied with what she was eating.

 

By the time they finished eating Yoona was leaning back on the chair and holding her tummy. “If this is how the food tastes like all the time, I’m afraid I’ll be having a hard time going back to Seoul. Jessica should learn how to cook like this,” she muttered the last part.

 

“Is that the fiancée you were talking about on our way here?”

 

Yoona nodded eagerly. “She can’t cook but she’s perfect at other things.” Minyoung laughed at the poor attempt to defend her.

 

“She’s free to visit you here if she wants.”

 

“Really? Thank you! I’m not sure if she’d be able to do that though but still, thank you, unnie.”

 

“She must really trust you to let you be away from her for that long.”

 

“She knows I’m head over heels for her.”

 

Minyoung remembered how her own husband used to tell her the same thing but that was a thing of the past. Now even though they still sleep on the same bed, husband and wife feels nothing more than just a label. “Young love, huh?”

 

“I’m actually envious of you and your husband, unnie. I wish Jessica and I could last as long as you two.”

 

“Lasting long is not always a good thing. You have to last long and still treat each other as if you’re falling in love for the first time.”

 

Yoona simply grinned. “That’s not going to be a problem. I’ll always be like that when it comes to her.”

 

Minyoung didn’t know if she should applaud her or if she should laugh at her naivety. “That’s going to take two people to work. Not just you.”

 

“I forgot to mention that she’s madly in love with me, too.”

 

Minyoung laughed. With Yoona living with her for half a year, the house wouldn’t seem so empty anymore.

 

 

---

 

 

“I’m still mad at you for forgetting our 200th day with my best friend. Where are you taking me?” Krystal looked out of the window to see if she could figure out where Tiffany’s planned destination is.

 

“That is partially your fault though. If you wanted to go out then you should’ve told me.”

 

“You forgot that it’s our 200th day together as a couple and I thought you went out to buy me gifts not go shopping for new clothes.”

 

Tiffany hid her embarrassment with a chuckle. “I didn’t know I was supposed to remember it.”

 

“Who else should remember it? The street vendor in front of your building? I don’t remember being in a relationship with that ahjussi.”

 

“Alright, I’m sorry. I’ll make up for it on our first anniversary.”

 

“Do you even know when that is?” Krystal gave up trying to know where they were and leaned back on the seat, tilting her head to the side to glance at Tiffany.

 

Tiffany was going to lie and say yes but she knew Krystal would catch on the lie pretty quickly. Truthfully, she didn’t know because they just sort of happened.

 

“Say it. Give me the date, time and place.” Krystal waited and waited but all Tiffany did was try to recall in her head when it happened. “I knew it. You don’t know that either.”

 

“I just don’t recall you asking me to be your girlfriend.”

 

“That’s because it was you who begged me to be yours.”

 

Tiffany creased her eyebrows. “Excuse me, I will never beg anyone for anything.”

 

Krystal scoffed. She exaggerated a little bit on that part. “It was a little after Christmas when you got back from the states and you didn’t tell me you were going to leave and I got mad. So to make up for it you told me to change and go out with you. You brought me to that bar and I walked out on you because you were letting some doofus hit on you. I was going to hail a cab but you stopped me and then we argued and you implied that you wanted us to be official so I said yes and that’s how we got together.”

 

Tiffany started remembering that incident as Krystal recalled what happened that night. “Oh yeah,” she laughed, “you thought I wanted you to be my girlfriend.”

 

“Yeah you were pretty much begging me so I said yes because I’m not that heartless.”

 

“No one begged and how come you remember all those tiny details?”

 

“I might not be the nicest girl out there but I’m not an awful girlfriend who forgets important events and details.

 

Tiffany would’ve pinched her cheeks if she wasn’t driving. She really found it cute that Krystal is the sentimental one. “Alright, alright, I’m that awful girlfriend.” She parked the car in front of a theatre. “We’re here. Wait here. Don’t get out.” Krsytal did and watched as Tiffany walked to her side to open the door for her. “See? I can be sweet.”

 

“Sure,” Krystal deadpanned and got out.

 

“You should really learn how to appreciate my sweet side.”

 

“What are we doing here? Krsytal asked ignoring her senseless blabber.

 

“I will be auditioning for a part that I’ve wanted ever since I knew that theatre is my calling.”

 

The two headed towards the entrance and Krystal was a bit creeped out because of how old the theatre looked like. “Please tell me you don’t want this part just because of the wardrobe.”

 

“How did you know? I’m auditioning for Elle Woods.”

 

The younger girl rolled her eyes. Her girlfriend’s obsession with the color pink is getting out of hand. “You can’t audition for that part just because the character would be wearing pink 100% of the time.”

 

“I’m not just doing it because of that. I really like the character too. She gives girls like me hope.”

 

“Hope that people would look at you in a different light despite looking like a bimbo?”

 

“I don’t look stupid. Just because you were this little nerd back in grade school—“

 

“Key told you that, didn’t he? That traitor. Do you know that when he was a kid, he was afraid of his own shadow? Yeah, his mom recorded it. He was crying because his shadow won’t stop following him around.”

 

Tiffany opened the door leading to the theatre where the auditions were being held. “You two are so weird.”

 

The two of them settled at the middle row, waiting for Tiffany’s name to be called. “Is there going to be kissing scenes in this play?”

 

“I don’t think so. If there is, they’ll probably fake it.”

 

“Mmm...probably, huh? I’m still not sure I like the odds of that,” she mumbled and Tiffany missed it. The girl was too absorbed watching the other Elle Woods hopeful on stage, noting their mistakes and mentally telling herself not to do any of it. “Why don’t you start small first? Like auditioning for the part of that lady who do people’s nails?”

 

“Krys, you have to aim high all the time.”

 

“Oh, what if you don’t get the lead part?”

 

“Then the lady who people’s nails would do.”

 

“You don’t even have blonde hair and I doubt you’d look good with it.”

 

Tiffany ignored her. She really didn’t need that kind of negative energy right now.

 

“Hwang Tippany.”

 

Tiffany stood up and hurriedly went up the stage. Krystal watched her delivered lines that she didn’t even know Tiffany had memorized. She only seen her girlfriend in action twice and if she had to be totally honest, she’d say Tiffany was lacking a lot but she was not that horrible. She’s just having a hard time getting rid of herself and getting into character. She noticed the improvement on her pronunciation and Krystal was proud of that.

 

By the time Tiffany has finished, Krystal was on her feet, clapping for her. There were probably other actors who’d do better than her and she probably only did well because Tiffany’s just as perky as the character but that’s not going to stop Krystal for cheering for her.

 

Tiffany blushed and bowed before getting off the stage.She stopped Krystal from clapping and pulled her out of the theatre. “You are so embarrassing.”

 

Krystal laughed and retorted, “Nice to get a taste of your own medicine, huh? So do you think you got the part?”

 

“I’ll have to wait for the call backs.”

 

“Oh come on, you were great. I wasn’t expecting that and because you did great, you’re going to treat me out for dinner.”

 

“What about Key? Should I call him?”

 

Krystal thought about it and shook her head. “Key will live. He’s going to find something interesting to do because that’s what he’s good at.”

 

“I don’t know. Should we really leave alone with his shadow?”

 

The two girls laughed as they got back inside the car. “Remind me to ask Key’s mom for a copy of that video.

 

 

---

 

 

“Wait, so the Taeyeon that you’ve been crushing on is your best friend’s older sister. Your best friend who left for an internship in Paris. You said she knows about you having feelings for her sister and she’s fine with it but you’re not sure to approach her. Why?”

 

Yuri was on Tiffany’s couch, lying on her back. She went there to talk to Tiffany and Krystal but Key was the only one there. She wasn’t quite sure how she ended up in this position and why she even agreed to tell Key everything.

 

Key calmly led her to the couch and told her to say everything that bothers her. She looked to her right where Key was sitting on another chair, chart and a pen in hand, scribbling something.

 

“I don’t know how to and I’m afraid of getting rejected.”

 

Key scribbled something again and said, “I see. How do you feel about that?”

 

Yuri bolted up and frowned. “Are you trying to be my shrink? What are you even writing?”

 

Key held up the chart. “List of restaurants and clothing stores around Seoul that I have yet to go to.”

 

“I’m leaving.”

 

“Wait! Sit back down! Why would you even think that she’d reject you?”

 

Yuri did what she was told and sighed. “I don’t think I’m her type.”

 

“Why would you say that?”

 

“Because I’ve been dropping hints and she doesn’t seem to care.”

 

“She could’ve just missed it. What kind of hints are we talking about?”

 

“Like...I tell her that I remember small things about her even though I generally have a bad memory.”

 

“You sound like a creeper. I’m amazed by the fact that she’s not already crept out by you.”

 

Yuri frowned even more. “I really don’t know what to do anymore and then a few weeks ago, I found out that she was in a relationship with someone and I think they were serious. I didn’t even know.”

 

“You definitely are a creeper. Why do you even have to know that? The only thing you have to know is how to make her yours and you’re lucky that I’m here.”

 

Yuri looked at him suspiciously. She doesn’t even know him well and yet she’s told him a secret that she didn’t even have the guts to tell her best friend or any of her friends. Now he’s telling her that he was willing to help her get Taeyeon. “What do you want in return?”

 

“Nothing. I just want to play Cupid for someone and seeing as to my best friend has already found her match, the only way I could do that is through you. Are you up for it or do you want to die alone?”

 

Yuri pursed her lips at the options. She shook Key’s hand and said, “Okay, I’m up for it.”

 

“Great! Step 1: Stop acting like her little sister.”

 

 

---

 

 

“I learned my first French sentence today.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes.” Yoona cleared . “Bonjoo, Madmoijelle.”

 

Jessica chuckled at her attempt. “You’re so cute.”

 

“I’ll get better. It’s not easy trying to learn two languages at the same time.”

 

“What other language are you trying to learn?”

 

“Swahili,” Yoona deadpanned, “English, of course.”

 

“Who’s teaching you that?” Jessica already knew she was getting basic French lessons from Madame Lefbvre but she didn’t know Yoona was also brushing up her English.

 

“Stevie Wonder.”

 

“What?”

 

Yoona cleared once again and started singing. “Isn’t she lovely? Isn’t she wonderful? Isn’t she precious? Less than one minute old. I never thought true love we’d be making one as lovely as she but isn’t she lovely made from love.”

 

“I’ll be reciting the lyrics of that song for when I meet my in-laws.”

 

“Yoong, you do know that the song is dedicated to his daughter, right?”

 

The younger girl tilted her head to the side and read the lyrics once again. “Seriously?”

 

“Who did you think Aisha is?”

 

“His wife.”

 

“It’s his daughter.” Jessica laughed even more, seeing the confused Yoona still trying to figure out what the song really meant. “Nice try though. Your pronunciation’s getting better.”

 

“I could still say you’re lovely, wonderful and precious, right? Those aren’t adjectives used only for babies, right?”

 

“It’s not exclusive for babies, yes.”

 

“Dammit, it was going to be my song for you.”

 

 

_____

i'm not scary i just got a little frustrated 

Isn't She Lovely by Stevie Wonder

i actually just found out that it was a song to celebrate the birth of his daughter so i just...lol i didn't know

will fix typos later