Wait A Minute

Chorus

“He’s Kim Heechul. I’m sure you’ve already heard of him. He personally asked for you.”

 

Yoona looked at the profile that was handed over to her. This Kim Heechul was smirking in his photo and if anything, Yoona now thinks he’s some sort of predator. “He asked for me? Personally?”

 

“Mm-hmm.”

 

“He knows I’m engaged, right?”

 

“Don’t worry, Yoona. I don’t think he asked for you because he likes you like that.”

 

“We can never be too sure.”

 

Minyoung shook her head, laughing at the girl’s self-admiration. “I think the two of you would get along.”

 

Not quite. As soon as Heechul saw Yoona, he barked orders and Yoona scrambled to her feet. “Noona, I can’t have an intern who can’t catch up quickly.”

 

“Give her a break. She just got here.” Heechul crossed his arms over his chest, scowling as he watched Yoona going back and forth, not knowing which chore she should do first. “It’s not like you didn’t act that way the first time you got here.”

 

“I was able to adjust in a week.”

 

“It’s her first day. She’ll improve.”

 

Heechul has seen photos of her and he smiled a little. Seeing Yoona brought back memories of his first time working for Minyoung. “It’s too bad she’s taken.” Minyoung cocked her head to the side and Heechul had to laugh. “It would’ve been fun going with her to events. She’d be the bait to lure people in but at the end of the night, those people would end up with me.”

 

Minyoung slapped him on the shoulder. She knew how his mind works. She knew him too well.

 

“I’m kidding. We could still do that even if she’s taken.”

 

“I’ve organized the files on the table. I’ve returned all the clutter to where they should be, I think and I’ve also thrown away the cold coffee you left on top of a drawer. It left a mark. It was very unsightly. You should use a coaster next time. Oh and I’ve deleted all the spam messages from your inbox just like you said. Is there anything else?”

 

Minyoung grinned and patted Heechul’s back a little too hard. “Looks like she’s doing just fine.”

 

“Well, I knew I had good decision-making skills. I hired her, didn’t I?”

 

“Of course, whatever you say.”

 

Yoona stood on the sidelines, smiling because she accomplished her first tasks as an intern. She was silently hoping that she wouldn’t be stuck in doing these things for the rest of her stay there.

 

Later that evening, she was going to sleep earlier but she couldn’t pass up on the opportunity to talk to Jessica. She logged in on Skype and invited her for a video call. “Hey.”

 

“You look tired.” Jessica immediately took notice of her flushed face.

 

“I have done so much stuff today. The amount of schoolwork I’ve done in my college year does not surpass the amount of work I’ve done today.”

 

“You shouldn’t be tiring yourself out.”

 

“It’s that good kind of tired—“

 

“There’s no such thing.”

 

“—Heechul likes me. Could you believe that?”

 

“No,” Jessica droned out, “who’s that?”

 

“He’s the Korean designer who personally asked for me.” Yoona grinned proudly, her eyes closing slightly because she was way too tired to keep them open.

 

“Why’d he do that?”

 

“Because he knows how awesome I am even when he’s only seen my picture,” she answered, completely missing out on the jealousy behind Jessica’s words.

 

“You sure he didn’t just develop a tiny crush on you? Because, you know, you are quite the looker.”

 

“Is this jealous Jessica again? I wish I could hug and kiss you right now. You’re absolutely adorable.”

 

“I’m not jealous. I’m just bored.”

 

Yoona propped her chin on top of her hand. “So go out with other people.” Jessica grinned and stared at Yoona knowingly.  “That is not what I meant. Go hang out with Yuri or Tiffany or better yet Taeyeon-unnie.”

 

“You know I’m too lazy.” Truthfully, she just didn’t want to subject herself in more awkward moments with her ex-girlfriend.

 

“I know that but it’d be really nice for the two of you to bond. You could maybe look at things for our wedding. Plan together or something. Unnie and I pretty much like the same stuff.” Jessica inwardly cringed at how accurate that statement was. “I’ll call unnie and tell her to pick you up tomorrow.”

 

“That’s really not necessary, Yoong.”

 

“Nope. It’s done. I’ll be doing that as soon as I end this video,” she paused to yawn, “call.”

 

“Go to sleep.”

 

“You should go back to sleep. What are you doing? Why are you up so early?”

 

“I knew you’d call so I woke up early and waited,” she shyly admitted.

 

“You shouldn’t do that. Go back to sleep.” Yoona rubbed her eyes in a poor attempt to keep herself awake and Jessica didn’t miss it.

 

“I will. Go to sleep, okay? Good night.”

 

Yoona looked at her watch which was still set to Seoul’s time. “Good morning. Sleep well. I love you. Oh I should learn how to say that in French.”

 

Jessica giggled. “Je t’aime.”

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing. Sleep.”

 

Yoona wasn’t able to do call her sister because as soon as she landed on the bed, she’s knocked out.

 

 

---

 

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“It’s your first day here and you already have an office. Impressive.” Key made himself comfortable on the swivel chair.

 

“I only get a cubicle. What are you doing here?” she asked once again. Yuri sighed and swatted Key’s hand away from her table. “I just finished organizing that.” She’s silently praying that Krystal would call him so he could leave her alone. “Don’t you have anything better to do?”

 

“I was supposed to get a haircut but I thought of dropping by here first.” Key stood up, grinning from ear to ear. “This is really smart of you. Getting a job here to get closer to her.”

 

“I got this job because I was qualified and I needed to work.”

 

“Right. What would your job here be? Besides stalking that tiny vocalist of a band?”

 

Yuri huffed and walked towards the file drawer.

 

“Why does this company still have file drawers? Are you guys living in the medieval period? Everything can be kept in a computer now.”

 

Yuri simply rolled her eyes while Key continued scrutinizing her every move. “You look good looking smart.”

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

“I wasn’t expecting you to look...smart.”

 

“Are you saying I look stupid?”

 

“You look like a lost puppy most of the time but this is good. Maybe you could get her to like you back by looking like a hot office girl.”

 

Yuri frowned. “Taeyeon-unnie’s not like that. She doesn’t just go for looks.”

 

“How sure could you be? Have you seen the person she’s dated before?”

 

“I just know she’s not superficial.”

 

“Do you always think so highly of Tae—“

 

“Good morning, noona,” a tall guy who had shoulder-length hair with a messy fringe greeted. Yuri smiled at him and nodded in acknowledgment while Key scowled. He will never be caught in public looking like he just got out of bed or as if he hasn’t bathe in weeks.

 

“Yuri would be getting quad venti, soy, no foam, latte and I’d be having a grande, non-fat latte with caramel drizzle.”

 

“Key!”

 

Key looked at her innocently. “What?”

 

“Hongbin-ah, I—“

 

The guy named Hongbin simply smiled, dimples on his cheeks showing, and said, “I’m sorry I only got Yuri-noona’s. What would you be having?”

 

“I hate repeating myself,” he sighed, “grande, non fat latte with caramel drizzle.” He said it slowly this time and Hongbin could only chuckle as he nodded.

 

“Got it. It’ll be here in a few minutes.”

 

“Thanks, George.”

 

Hongbin scrunched up his eyebrows but the smile on his face never left. “My name’s Hongbin.”

 

Key brought his hand over his mouth. “Oh, I’m sorry. You looked like a George to me. Off you go now.” Hongbin left and Yuri could only stare at Key, mouth gaping. “What? He looked like George of the Jungle with his messy hair.”

 

“That was very rude and you’re going to get me fired.”

 

“I just ordered a drink. It’s not like I made you lose a group’s music video.”*

 

“You need to leave.”

 

“I’m not gonna leave until I get my drink.”

 

Yuri pulled on her hair and walked out. She went to the restroom that was closer to where she was so she could freshen up. Ten minutes with key and she’s already feeling like she’s aged ten more years. On her way out, she bumped into Taeyeon who was surprised to see her there. “Hi, Taeyeon-un—Taeyeon-ssi.”

 

Taeyeon cringed. “That’s too formal, Yuri. What are you doing here?”

 

This got Yuri all pumped and excited. “I’m working here now,” she answered with a really loud voice that startled the older girl.

 

“Oh, I’ll be seeing you more often then.”

 

Yuri giggled. “Yeah.”

 

Key, who decided to go out and see where Yuri has gone to, heard and saw the exchange and he stood there in horror as he watched Yuri giggle like a teenage girl.

 

“I’ll see you around.” Yuri nodded and stared at Taeyeon’s retreating figure.

 

“Oh my god, look at you! You look like Madonna and J.Lo in a room full of younger guys. I thought I was going to die of second-hand embarrassment.”

 

Yuri walked back to their office, completely ignoring Key.

 

“This is what I’m talking about. You need to stop that. Believe it or not, some people don’t like it when you show them too much affection.”

 

“You don’t know what Taeyeon-unnie likes!”

 

“That’s true. I’m not going to argue with you on that but if knowing her too well still leads you to nowhere then you should really start doing something else other than knowing things about her.”

 

Yuri slumped down on the chair and turned her back from Key. She knew he was right. “Maybe I should just give up. I’m way out of her league.”

 

Key placed both of his hands on his waist. “Are you fishing for compliment right now or have you never seen yourself in a mirror? You’re actually gorgeous. I mean, don’t get me started on your nose. It could cut through a thick glass and your chin! Oh my god, your chin is y and I don’t usually use ‘y’ to describe a part of someone’s face. You have a hot body too so I don’t get how you’re out of her league. This is such bull.”

 

“But there are other people out there who likes her and probably deserves her more.”

 

“Who the cares? You like her and you should go get her and Zeus or even Chronos won’t be able to stop me from making that happen.”

 

Yuri faced him and asked, “Who?”

 

“It’s such a good thing you’re hot.”

 

Just then Hongbin entered the room. “Hongbin-ah, you really didn’t have to.” She took the drinks from him and gave one to Key.

 

“It’s fine. Oh, by the way, noona, I didn’t know you like Taeyeon-noona.”

 

“You...you heard our conversation?”

 

Hongbin smiled shyly and nodded. “I kind of eavesdropped. Sorry.”

 

“George, you’d look better without that nest on your head,” Key said out of the blue.

 

“Really? I’ve been so used to having a long hair. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable getting a short do.”

 

“You know what’s a good idea? You and Yuri taking a trip to a salon.”

 

“I’ve never been to a salon.”

 

“There’s always a first for everything, George.” Key hit Hongbin’s shoulder and Hongbin squealed in horror.

 

“Key, stop assaulting him.” She then checked on the guy who was now rubbing the spot that Key hit. “Hongbin-ah, are you okay?”

 

“I’m okay, noona,” he said, smiling. Yuri admired how pleasant his face looked. “I guess we should go to a salon then.”

 

“No. You don’t have to do what Key says.”

 

“It’s fine, really. Summer’s coming and it’d be difficult to keep this hair.”

 

Yuri looked at Key disapprovingly. She’s willing to bet everything she owns that this is only one of Key’s ways to get her and Taeyeon together. She’s not exactly up for the idea of changing how she looks to get someone’s attention but if it was going give her a chance for Taeyeon to see her in a different light then she was willing to try. “Fine then.”

 

 

---

 

 

“Oh my god! Get that thing out of my shop!” Heechul pointed at the item on the table and Yoona looked at him in confusion.

 

“It’s my lunch.”

 

“You’re eating pizza? For lunch? A whole box of pizza? Are you insane? You’re going to be a whale if you do that.”

 

“Whales eat krills, planktons and small fishes,” she answered back and took a bite.

 

“What would my clients say if they see one of my staff eating unhealthy food?”

 

“It’s okay to eat unhealthy food sometimes.”

 

“No, it’s not.” Heechul deadpanned.

 

Yoona shrugged and continued eating. “You want a slice?”

 

“No. Throw that away.”

 

“No way. I’m not going to waste pizza.”

 

“This is insubordination. I could fire you!”

 

Yoona leaned back on the chair. “This is so good. So much cheese. Look!” She took another bite and pointed at the cheese that seemed like gum. “Are you not a fan of pineapple on a pizza, Heechul-ssi?”

 

Heechul’s ears perked up soon as he heard “pineapple.” He could do without ham or pepperoni on a pizza but it always, always¸has to have pineapples. He groaned and sat across Yoona. He then reached for a slice and hungrily ate it. “Dsfjkjdhfkjdh.”

 

“What?”

 

“This is real good.”

 

Yoona laughed as he watched Heechul devour slice after slice after slice. It was only her second day working there but she felt as if she’s been working for him for years. She wasn’t sure why she’s so comfortable with him even though he would usually shout at her.

 

Heechul, on the other hand, would sigh after finishing a slice and grabbing another one. He doesn’t even remember the last time he’s eaten pizza. It was always salad, endless bowls of leafy salad or plain bread. He was going to reach for another one but the box was already empty. “It’s gone,” he said in dismay.

 

“Yeah, you finished my lunch.”

 

He gasped. “How many slices of pizza did I eat?”

 

Yoona cackled. “A lot.”

 

“Oh no, no, no, no.” He cradled his head with his hands. “I should fire you for making me eat that much.”

 

“You enjoyed eating it.”

 

Heechul looked up, a pained expression plastered on his face. “I did,” he cried out.

 

“Do you want me to order another one?”

 

“No, no more ordering of pizza. Ever. I don’t want to see pizza inside this shop ever again.”

 

Yoona blinked her eyes twice. “Can we have pizza once a week?”

 

“No.”

 

“Twice a month,” she continued to bargain.

 

“Ugh! Fine but it has to have pineapples. If it’s pepperoni pizza, it’s not allowed to be in here.” He wiped his mouth clean of any morsel and that’s when he noticed the ring on Yoona’s finger. “Aren’t you too young to be engaged?”

 

“How sure are you that I’m not married yet?”

 

“Because that does not look like a wedding ring. Do you think I’m stupid?”

 

“No.”

 

“You don’t seem like you’re afraid of me.”

 

“That’s because I’m not. I thought I would be because you look intimidating and I’m a real fan of your works. They’re all amazing but I don’t know...I’m just comfortable around you. I don’t think I’m too young to be engaged, by the way.”

 

“Good luck on that.”

 

“Have you been engaged before, Heechul-ssi?”

 

“If you’re that comfortable around me then just call me ‘Heechul-oppa’. Heechul-ssi makes me feel like I already have to head back to Korea and enlist for the army. No, I haven’t been engaged to anyone yet. I hate people. Oddly enough, I don’t hate Minyoung-noona and I guess I don’t hate you, too.” Heechul stood up and entered his office, leaving Yoona to clear up the mess on the table.

 

Yoona was smiling to herself. She felt like she did something good for Heechul to not hate her. She was going through the incoming mails when her phone rang. Her smile only grew wider when she saw who it was.

 

“Hi, future wife.”

 

“You might or might not like what I’m going to tell you.”

 

_____

*a jab at sm's stupid data loss and the cause of snsd's comeback 

i introduced two new characters because i can and because i like them hahahah hongbin is the cutie from vixx and heechul

Wait a minute by snsd lol i' just using random songs that i listen to now