Burn

Chorus

“So why’d you really break up with her?” Krystal asked as she stood next to Taeyeon who opted to stay at the counter instead of joining the others at the table.

 

“What’s the point of telling you that?” Her voice didn’t indicate a clear emotion but the younger Jung knew better.

 

“I saw you getting teary-eyed, you know. You can’t escape these hawk eyes.”

 

Taeyeon sighed. “What exactly do you want me to say?”

 

“The truth.”

 

“I really don’t see any point in telling you that.”

 

“You owe it to yourself to at least tell truth to someone...anyone really.”

 

“That’s not going to be you.”

 

Taeyeon walked away and went to where the others were, pretending that her conversation with Krystal didn’t take place.

 

The younger one scoffed and flipped her hair. “ please I’m not even that curious. Okay maybe I am...a little.”

 

Yuri appeared from the cafe’s kitchen and asked, “Baby Jung, why are you talking to yourself?”

 

“I, uh, do this sometimes. It’s healthy.”

 

Yuri nodded. “I’m extremely healthy then. I talk to myself a lot.”

 

“Uh yeah. Sure, Yuri-unnie.”

 

The two of them also joined the others and Yuri forced herself to stop thinking about Taeyeon and Krystal’s conversation. It was bothering her a lot since she took pride in knowing whatever it is that’s happening to Taeyeon’s life. To find out that she got into a relationship with someone she didn’t know was a big blow.

 

 

---

 

 

I was sitting next to Jessica while she and Tiffany are talking animatedly in English which reminds me that I really need to work on my English speaking skills. I don’t want my fiancée’s family to think that she was going to get married to someone who doesn’t even have the brain to learn a simple language.

 

I stared at my soon-to-be wife and held her free hand tighter because it felt like if I didn’t do that, I would be floating on thin air. It has been minutes ago since I had asked her to marry me and I honestly couldn’t believe she said yes. I guess I’ve just gotten so used to her rejecting me every time I do something new.

 

I was already preparing myself or a huge “No” so I was pleasantly surprised when I didn’t hear it.

 

I leaned forward to give her a kiss on the cheek and she turned to me, asking what I did that for. I shook my head and smiled. I don’t even know why I did that.

 

“Oh goodness, let me puke.”

 

“Don’t be like that sister-in-law.”

 

Krystal stuck her tongue out and sat beside Tiffany. I’m glad they’re good again although I’m sure it’s only a matter of day before they have another fight.

 

“So how does the bridal party work? Do you do it together or separately?”

 

Krystal didn’t hold back with the suggestion, “I vote for separate ones and for Tiff to be the stripper on Yoona-unnie’s bridal party.” Tiffany hit her arm. “What? The money you’d get from it could be used to buy something useful”

 

“I still have money. Thank you very much.”

 

“Then, I’d gladly spend it for you.”

 

Everyone except for Tiffany laughed at what the youngest girl said.

 

“I still have to finish my internship abroad so I don’t think the wedding would take place soon.”

 

“Still. Do you know how long it takes to prepare for a wedding?”

 

“Relax, Fany. Jessica and I would be planning things together so I think there’s no need to stress out about it.”

 

“What kind of wedding do you want though?”

 

“Garden wedding!”

 

“Beach wedding!”

 

Jessica and I looked at each other. I’ve already pictured us to be wed at a garden full of flowers and trees.

 

Yuri cleared , “I’m sure you’d be able to work on that and discuss it later on. Are both of you going to wear a dress?”

 

“No.”

 

“Yes.”

 

We looked at each other again and this time there was an evident frown on her face. It’s not that I don’t want to wear a dress. It’s just that I can see myself wearing a suit while she’s the one wearing a white dress and walking down the aisle.

 

“Wow. You two seem like such a compatible couple. You sure you don’t want to break off the engagement while it’s still early? Oof!” Tiffany elbowed Krystal in the rib.

 

So right now we don’t agree with some stuff. It’s not a big deal, right?

 

 

---

 

 

Yoona was fixing her toga when Jessica crept up on her and did it for her instead. The older girl smiled and pecked the corner of her lips. She laughed when she saw her lipstick had left a mark and she wiped it immediately with her hand.

 

“You look good in a toga.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Are you nervous?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Not even a little?”

 

“It’s graduation. Not our wedding day, dear fiancée.” Yoona laughed and pinched her nose.

 

“You’re not worried that you might trip on stage?”

 

“Why would I be...” Yoona smiled and taunted her, “you tripped, didn’t you?”

 

“I did no—yes, I did but I doubt anyone noticed.”

 

Yoona guffawed and she regretted ever admitting it. “I was wearing a really high-heeled shoes, okay?”

 

“Please tell me it was recorded.”

 

“Krystal has the copy,” she muttered, thinking of ways to get it and incinerate all existing copies. Yoona noticed her problematic expression which she found extremely cute. She enveloped the girl in a tight hug and rubbed her back.

 

“Don’t feel too bad about it.”

 

“You were laughing at me just now.”

 

“I’m sorry,” she said, still chuckling. “It’s just funny that the oh-so-graceful Jung Jessica would trip on stage while getting her diploma.”

 

Jessica hit her shoulder with her fist. “It went unnoticeable to the audience. Only Krystal who was recording everything noticed it.”

 

“Of course, honey. Whatever you say.” She placed a lingering kiss on top of Jessica’s head.

 

“Stop patronizing me. Let’s go. Tiff and Yuri’s waiting for you.” Jessica broke away from their hug and pulled on her hand.

 

“Why’d you invite those two here?”

 

“They’re your friends.”

 

“Yes but alcoholic Hwang and crazy Kwon probably have something up their sleeves and I don’t want to be part of it.”

 

 

---

 

 

Jessica and Krystal took the vacant seat on the third row as instructed by Tiffany and Yoona. They should’ve known that it was Taeyeon who was saving the seat for them.

 

The older Jung thought her younger sister would take the seat beside Taeyeon but she was dead wrong. She could only glare at the younger Jung. She greeted the couple sitting on Taeyeon’s left, recognizing them to be Yuri’s parents with Yuri being the carbon copy of her dad.

 

“This makes me want to graduate sooner.”

 

Jessica knew she was only saying that because she wouldn’t have anyone to hang-out with at school anymore.

 

“Unnie, do you think they’ll have lesser time for us now that they’re probably going to be busy with work?”

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

“Shouldn’t you worry about Yoona-unnie being gone for six months  because of her internship halfway around the world?”

 

“I will miss her, that’s a given, but it’s not like I could ask her to stay.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Are you going to stop Tiff from playing her dream role just because you don’t like it?”

 

“Hell yes.”

 

The older sibling shook her head. “You can’t do that, Krys.”

 

“Yes, I can. I just tell her not to do it.”

 

“You’re going to lose her if you do that.”

 

“She’s going to lose me if she ever does something I don’t want her to do.”

 

“You’re being unfair.”

 

Krystal played with the program list in her hand and stared at the speaker. “Not wanting her to get kissed by some random dude is unfair?”

 

Jessica had a small smile on her face now that she understood where her sister was coming from. “But it’s going to be part of her job unless all the roles she auditions for in the future is that of a nun, you’re just going to have to deal with a few kissing scenes. Besides, they sometimes fake it.”

 

“I don’t like this conversation,” the younger Jung mumbled.

 

“Ahn Soojung.”

 

“They’re starting.” Jessica sat upright which caused her forearm to rub against Taeyeon’s. “Sorry.”

 

Taeyeon just smiled and stared back at the stage. Krystal saw the short interaction. Knowing that the older Kim still has feelings for her sister turns out to be a huge burden.

 

There were times when she’d caught her staring at Jessica and when Yoona appears, she would look elsewhere. She still has no idea what the girl’s reason is for breaking up with her sister but she has already came up with several theories.

 

“Hwang Chansung.”

 

She shifted her attention back to the stage and saw Tiffany at the side, waiting for her name to be called.

 

“Hwang Tippani.”

 

Krystal chuckled knowing that her girlfriend would be pissed off at the mispronunciation. Before Tiffany took the rolled paper from the dean, she stood beside the speaker and spoke through the microphone. “It’s Tiffany, by the way.” She then took the pseudo diploma and shook the dean’s hand. Before she got off the stage, she blew kisses towards Krystal’s direction and exclaimed, “Hi, Krystal!”

 

Said girl sank in her seat while her sister and Taeyeon laughed at her. “I wouldn’t mind if the security tackled her to the ground.”

 

“Im Seulong.”

 

“I think it’s sweet, Krys.”

 

“You wouldn’t find it sweet if it happened to you.”

 

Jessica knew her sister better and the small smile creeping up the younger Jung’s face did not go unnoticed. “Oh please, I know you liked it. Stop pretending.”

 

“Kim Ryeowook.”

 

Her ears perked up and she stared at Yoona who was already ascending the stage.

 

“Kim Yoona.”

 

Yoona shook the dean’s hand and much to Krystal’s dismay, she didn’t do anything embarrassing. She just smiled towards them, most likely towards Jessica and Taeyeon then head back down.

 

When it was Yuri’s turn, she didn’t do anything out of the ordinary but Krystal was pretty sure that her wide grin was directed particularly at the girl sitting beside her parents. Taeyeon.

 

When the ceremony ended, the graduates went straight to their loved ones. Tiffany, not having any of her family members there, went to Krystal and crushed her in a tight hug. Krystal was going to reprimand her about her earlier actions but Tiffany has successfully emotionally hijacked her when she whispered, “Thank you for being here.”

 

“You’re such an embarrassing girl,” she replied and broke away from the hug to kiss her girlfriend on the lips.

 

Yuri was going to join the hug that involved the Kim sisters but she was caught by her father. “Yuri-ah.”

 

“Dad.”

 

If that wasn’t enough, her mother joined her father in smothering her. “We’re very proud of you, Yuri-ah.”

 

“Mom,” she whined.

 

Jessica stood beside the Kim sisters and laughed at how effortlessly Yoona lifted her older sister. “I did it, unnie!”

 

“Get me down, Yoong.” Yoona did as she was told. I’m genuinely surprised that you and your friends graduated on time even with all the skipping.”

 

“Unnie, attendance in college is not as important as it was in grade school and high school.” Yoona stuck her tongue out at her sister and hugged Jessica. “I’m finally free from that prison disguised as a school.”

 

Jessica couldn’t help but laugh. Her girlfriend sounded so giddy and it was highly infectious.

 

“We could work on our wedding now?”

 

“You still have that internship, remember?”

 

The younger girl pouted and tugged on her arm like a child. “Can’t I just back out on that?”

 

“What? No! You’re going to have an internship in the fashion mecca—“

 

“That would be Milan. I’m going to Paris.”

 

“Still. You shouldn’t pass up on an opportunity like that.” Yoona looked at her dejectedly. “Tell you what, we could plan our wedding even though you’re in Paris so once you get back the only thing left to do is to finalize things.”

 

“But I want to do all of the planning together.”

 

“Then we’ll just have to wait until you get back.”

 

“I think my best friend’s just worried that you might find someone to replace her while she’s away.” Yuri put an arm around Yoona which was shoved away immediately.

 

“I’m not. I know I’m the only one she loves.” Yoona was going to lean in for a kiss but Krystal pushed her away from her sister.

 

“Let’s continue talking about this during dinner.” She doesn’t know why she suddenly cares so much about Taeyeon’s feelings that she’d actually make an effort to stop the lovebirds from going at it.

 

“Great. My parents cooked for us.”

 

The Kwons nodded and Mrs. Kwon just had to compliment Yuri and Tiffany. “You two keep your kitchen very clean.”

 

Tiffany was going to thank the old lady but Krystal’s not going to let her have that satisfaction. “That’s because they barely use it.”

 

 

---

 

 

On their way back to Tiffany’s shared apartment with Yuri, the two received a handful of sermon from the Kwons about how unhealthy it is to always order fast food instead of cooking their own meal.

 

Krystal who got in the same car as her girlfriend volunteered to cook for the two when she’s staying over only because Tiffany was glaring at her like she wanted to shoot laser beams out of her eyes.

 

Taeyeon, Yoona and Jessica were in another car. Taeyeon was able to go with them because she cancelled all of her existing plans to celebrate this very special day.

 

Taeyeon took the back seat and was quiet all the way to their destination while the couple talked about random things.

 

“I didn’t trip,” Yoona said as she grabbed Jessica’s hand that was on her lap.

 

Jessica sighed, regretting ever revealing that information.

 

The older Kim gazed outside to distract herself but it was a bit short-lived. Yoona called her and asked what her plans are for the next six months.

 

“I’m not sure. They haven’t said anything about releasing a new album. Why?”

 

“That’s great. You and Jessica could hang out and get to know each other better.”

 

“What?” Jessica looked at Taeyeon’s reflection in the rear view mirror. Although they’ve finally had closure, Jessica was still not comfortable being around Taeyeon.

 

“You’ll be in-laws soon so I think it’d be a great idea for you to spend time with each other, you know? For you to get along. You should include Krystal.”

 

“Yoong, your sister might be busy.”

 

“No, it’s fine,” Taeyeon said, “It’s not like we have to spend every waking minute together.”

 

She wanted to oppose but she didn’t really have any other reason to  do so she smiled and nodded.

 

 

---

 

 

We were inside the elevator going up Tiffany’s floor when Mr. Kwon posed a question. “Is everyone gay?”

 

“No.”

 

Krystal chortled and my best friend huffed. “Your daughter’s still in denial, Mr. Kwon.” Yuri hit Tiffany’s arm and told her to shut up.

 

“Yuri-ah,” Momma Kwon warned, “don’t talk to your roommate that way.”

 

“But—“

 

“Yuri-ah, you know we’ll accept you whatever your ual preference is.”

 

This is why I would love Mr. Kwon to be my father. He’s a kind man, understanding and caring, too.

 

“I’m not interested in girls.”

 

“Yeah, she’s interested in a midget,” Krystal mumbled but everyone caught it considering they were all cramped in such a small space.

 

“Midget? So it’s Youngbae?”

 

“No, mom!”

 

She was saved from further interrogation when the elevator doors opened. I still feel bad that my best friend couldn’t even open up to me about this but forcing it out of her would be no good.

 

Tiffany let us inside her apartment and it looked like Mr. And Mrs. Kwon cleaned up the whole place. Have I already mentioned that Yuri’s parents are great?

 

We went to the dining area and I momentarily forgot about the people around me. There was so much food! I was going to grab a kimbap that Mrs. Kwon made, she makes the best kimbap I swear on my life, when I got pulled back by my lovely fiancée.

 

“Are you that hungry?”

 

“Yes.” She pulled me closer and I didn’t feel that much hungry anymore. I’m kidding. I still am but it’s not like I could shove my gorgeous fiancée away from me just to have a bite of the best kimbap in the world.

 

She led me to the table and handed me a plate. “Don’t put too much on your plate. Just go back for seconds, okay?”

 

I grinned and placed a chaste kiss on her forehead. I really couldn’t ask for more now that I have her.

 

 

---

 

 

Taeyeon watched her sister and Jessica from afar while Krystal was keeping a close watch on her.

 

“Krys, do you want pineapple juice or soda?” The younger Jung stared at Tiffany instead of answering. “What? Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“Nothing. I’ll have soda.”

 

“Soda’s bad for your health.”

 

“So why would you include that in the option?”

 

“To give you the illusion that you have a choice.”

 

Krystal chuckled and said, “Remind me again how you got that diploma.”

 

“I’ll go get your pineapple juice.”

 

She shook her head and shifted her gaze back at Taeyeon. She wasn’t the least bit surprised that Yuri was already talking to her.

 

“You should try my dad’s kimchi. He made it himself.”

 

Taeyeon heeded to the suggestion and she wasn’t disappointed with the taste. “This tastes great.”

 

“I’ll tell my dad to give you some so that you could take it home with you.”

 

The two of them were the only ones eating at the living room because there’s not enough chair in the dining area.

 

“Taeyeon-unnie?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Remember when you told me before that you like someone and that person liked you back? What happened between you two?”

 

Taeyeon laughed, masking her surprise. “You still remember that? It’s been years.”

 

“Good memory,” the tanned girl said, pointing to her temple. That action reminded her of a certain Jung.

 

“Yuri, it took you a year to memorize the name of my band mates.”

 

She smiled sheepishly and opted to tell Taeyeon the truth. “I have good memory when it comes to you.”

 

“You’re really my number one fan, huh?” Taeyeon joked.

 

“Of course. Stop changing the topic though, unnie.”

 

“You caught me.” She put her plate down the coffee table. “I screwed up.”

 

Yuri waited for her to elaborate and she was honestly thinking about what the younger Jung told her before, “You need to tell someone the truth,” but she still couldn’t.

 

“No news about you dating someone came out, unnie.”

 

“I like to keep things private.”

 

“Isn’t that too private? Even Yoona doesn’t know.”

 

“It doesn’t matter now. Like I said, I screwed it up. It’s all in the past now.”

 

“I told you before that if you needed someone to talk to, I’m always here. The offer still stands.”

 

Taeyeon conjured up a small smile in response to Yuri’s huge and genuine one.

 

“Thank you, Yuri. So who’s the midget that Krystal was talking about?”

 

Yuri immediately turned red and the only thing she could do was to walk away, leaving Taeyeon all by herself. “So much for ‘I’m always here’.”

 

 

---

 

 

Yoona was packing her bags, making sure that she wouldn’t leave the important things. Jessica was on the other side of the room, staring at the pictures on the wall.

 

It was full of their pictures together. It was Yoona’s brilliant idea to put pictures of them on the wall of her room. It was her surprise for Jessica on their first anniversary.

 

Jessica thought it was cute even though the pictures that Yoona posted were both hilarious and embarrassing. There was a photo of the holding ice cream cones and melted ice cream stained their faces. There was another one where Yoona was standing next to Rilakkuma.

 

It was actually Jessica inside a Rilakkuma suit. She was forced by Krystal and Tiffany to wear it. It was taken after the trio found out that they passed everything and were candidates for graduation.

 

Yoona wasn’t aware that Jessica was inside the suit and she thought it was a simple gift from Jessica so when the latter took off the head part of the costume, she was dead silent for ten seconds before hugging her tightly.

 

Yoona insisted on keeping it but Jessica had to be the bearer of the bad news and say that it was only for rent.

 

“Admiring yourself in a Rilakkuma costume?” Yoona hugged her from the back and planted kisses on her neck.

 

“I look good.” She turned around and pecked Yoona’s lips.

 

“You do. You’ll be coming with me to the airport to send me off, right?”

 

Jessica shook her head. “I have an important shoe sale to go to.”

 

Yoona tickled her until Jessica raised a white flag for Yoona to stop her tickle attack. “I’m not gonna leave the goddamn airport if you’re not there to send me off.”

 

“I’m really not going then.”

 

Yoona smiled, understanding what Jessica meant. “You’ll miss me that much, huh?” She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively as she gently pushed her fiancée towards her bed. “When I get back, we’ll move in together.”

 

“You mean you’re moving in with me, right? You don’t even have your own place.”

 

“For now, I don’t but I’ll save up for it.” She laid Jessica down on her bed and hovered on top of her. “Six months would go fast and the next thing you know, I’m back here and we’ll be planning our wedding. Our garden wedding.”

 

Jessica grabbed her by the collar and pulled her down. “Beach wedding.”

 

“Jessiiiicaaaa, you know I don’t swim.”

 

“We’re not going to be swimming. We’re just getting married there.”

 

“But what if—“

 

“Hush! Beach wedding. If you really want a garden wedding then we could just place flowers and green things on the shore. Could you place salt water in a garden?”

 

“We could try—“

 

Jessica cut her off the best way she knew how. By kissing her lips. “Beach. Wedding,” she mumbled into the kiss and Yoona knew the discussion was over.

 

 

_____

when it changes to first person it's yooa's POV. i don't know what it is about me and beach wedding i just really really like the thought of it. church wedding for me is like bland food. edited some of the typos tht 

Burn by Ellie Goulding totally irrelevant i just really like the song :)

and now i shall continue writing more chapters and finish verse haha