Tok Tok Tok

Chorus

Yoona groggily answered her phone. She checked the time and it was only 3am. She cursed whoever was calling her at such an ungodly hour and didn’t even bother checking who it was. “What?”

 

“Guess who’s finally going on a dinner date with your sister?”

 

“Yuri?”

 

“Correct! I am so excited, Yoong. You have no idea.”

 

Yoona was sleepy but she could clearly hear the excitement in her best friend’s voice and she just couldn’t help but ruin it. “I bet Taeyeon-unnie just thinks she’s going to have dinner with you and nothing more. Calling it a ‘date’ without the other person’s consent wouldn’t be right, Yul. Just like calling me at three in the morning. I’m not somewhere in Busan. I’m halfway across the world.”

 

“You talk to me about Jessica all the time! You talk to me about your exes and I never complained!”

 

Yoona had to pull away the phone from her ear to prevent it from getting damaged by the sheer volume of Yuri’s voice. “Alright, alright. Congratulations on being able to ask my sister out for dinner. Like finally!”

 

And just like that Yuri was back to her giddy self. “I honestly wouldn’t be able to do it without Key. Who knew Krystal’s obnoxious best friend could be of so much help.”

 

Yoona wanted to ask how and why Key got into the picture but that was a discussion for another day, preferably day time and not in the middle of the night.

 

“Good luck on that one-sided date with my sister,” she snickered and she knew that if she was an arm’s length away from Yuri, she’d get her forehead hit. “In all seriousness though, Yul, if things between you and my sister move forward just know that I’m her sister first and if you hurt her, I will ruin your life.”

 

She could hear Yuri huffing on the other line. “Please, you know me well enough to know that’s not gonna happen and besides, I’m taking things one step at a time. I don’t want to think ahead just yet.”

 

In all the years they’ve known each other, Yoona had to admit that she’s never witnessed such thing. Yuri has dated a handful of people but never has she acted the way she was acting now. Yoona was regretting not knowing sooner that her best friend has fallen in love with her older sister. She was slightly wishing she could see Yuri’s flustered face while talking about her sister. It would’ve been an adorable sight and quite a funny one, too.

 

“Oh, by the way, how are you and Jessica-unnie? Spare me the details of your ual encounters. I just wanna know how you guys are doing.”

 

“We are doing fine. She’s going to go back to Seoul soon though and it’s another four months ‘til we get to be with each other again.”

 

“Four months won’t be too long. You could control your urges for four months.”

 

“I can’t wait to get back to Seoul. Believe it or not, I’m missing you and Fany, too.”

 

“Don’t miss us too much. Especially Fany. When you get back here the only time she’d be leaving your side and Jessica’s is when she has to work. She’s excited to help you two plan your wedding. I’m warning you now, Fany means serious business and I don’t think anyone could contain her not even Krystal. Jessica-unnie’s sister has become quite a softy when it comes to our Fany.”

 

Yoona couldn’t imagine a soft Krystal. This was the same girl who kept on threatening her even before she started dating Jessica.

 

“Well, I’ll let you go back to sleep now.”

 

“Thank god. Tell me how your date with my sister goes and please be mindful of the time here in France.”

 

“Fine. Good night!”

 

“Night, Yul.”

 

She placed her phone back to the table and shifted to hug Jessica tighter. She was still in awe at how much of a heavy sleeper her fiancée is. She could probably put a sleeping Jessica in a plane bound to Seoul and she wouldn’t wake up until a flight crew tells her that everyone has gotten off the plane except her. She kissed Jessica’s forehead and whispered an “I love you” before drifting back to sleep.

 

 

---

 

 

“And they were saying these things about me and Tiff and I swear to god if they had been a bunch of random people on the street, I would’ve kicked them in the balls, tie them to a tree and set that tree on fire.”

 

Key pursed his lips, wondering if Krystal was just kidding or if she’d actually do it. “It couldn’t be helped that some people are narrow-minded pricks. All you could do is pray for them.”

 

The girl huffed. “You don’t even pray.”

 

“At least I don’t let people talk about me.”

 

“I didn’t let them talk crap about me but it’s not like I could tell them to shut their filthy mouths. What if it brings a negative effect on Tiffany?”

 

Key sighed heavily. “The Krystal I had known would’ve at least snarled at those dimwits. You’ve really changed so much since you started going out with Tiffany. I’m about to sell a quarter of my soul to Satan just to get my mean and sassy best friend back.”

 

“I’m still the same Krystal you know. I just got better at controlling my temper.”

 

“Yeah but it’s not like you’re doing it for yourself. You’re doing it all for her. It’s like you’d let people walk all over you just for her. It’s fine to love someone but you can’t just forget the person you once were before you started going out with them.”

 

“Thanks, Master Shifu.”

 

“The sass is too late.” Key stood up and left a couple of bills on the table.

 

“Where are you even going?”             

 

“Spying on someone’s date.”

 

“Whose?”

 

“Yul’s. You know, you should learn from her. Even though she’s this awkward, i-don’t-know-what-to-do-with-myself-when-the-apple-of-my-eye-is-around girl and she sometimes tries too hard to act cool, at least she doesn’t lose sight of who she is just because of someone she likes.”

 

“What does that even mean?”

 

“Figure it out yourself. You’re smart.”

 

With that he left Krystal still trying to figure out what it was that he seems to be noticing that she doesn’t.

 

 

---

 

 

Key was inside Yuri’s apartment as the latter made the difficult decision of what to wear for her date. “Maybe I should just stick to wearing a simple shirt and a pair of shorts. It’s almost summer.”

 

“Where are you taking her? Across the block to eat ddukbokki?”

 

Yuri stopped in her tracks. “She likes eating those. That’s actually not such a bad idea.”

 

Key took the shirt from her and tossed it across the room. He then cupped her face and said, “Listen to me. You asked her out for dinner not to go out for a midnight snack. This is going to be your first date with her. Make it memorable. You can do better than ddukbokki.”

 

“You’re right,” she nodded and Key let go of her face.

 

“Hurry up and decide what you want to wear. I still have to do your make-up.”

 

Once Yuri has finished prepping up for her date, she and Key went through the whole confession thing that Yuri intended to do by the end of the night.

 

“Okay, so how are you planning to tell her?”

 

“I don’t know. Shouldn’t I just tell her that I like her?”

 

“You don’t just like her. You’re in love with her. Tell that to her straight.”

 

“So I just tell her that and wait for her reply?”

 

“Yeah and maybe you could tell her in detail how long you’ve been pining over her and hope she’d get flattered. Then maybe she’d tell you she likes back.”

 

“You really think so?”

 

“Of course not, you don’t want to sound so desperate. Just tell her exactly how you feel.” Key checked everything for the last time and once he was satisfied with how she looked, he led her to the doorway. “You’re ready.”

 

“Am I?”

 

“You so are. You’re going to pick her up, right?”

 

“Uh-huh.”

 

“Well, you shouldn’t make her wait. Go.” He handed her the key to her car and he waited a few more minutes before calling Hongbin. “Where are you?”

 

“Just outside Yuri-noona’s apartment building.”

 

“Alright, wait for me.”

 

 

---

 

 

Yuri was outside her workplace, waiting for Taeyeon to come out. The older girl sent her a message saying she’d be a few minutes late because they had to re-record a few parts of the song. Fifteen minutes passed before Taeyeon was finally able to leave the recording booth.

 

Yuri got out of the car to open the door for her and the first thing she noticed were Taeyeon’s tired eyes. She thought about cancelling but the older girl insisted that it was fine. “I’m tired and hungry and I’ rather not eat alone,” she told Yuri with a reassuring smile.

 

“Are you in the mood for Italian,” she asked the girl when they were waiting for the traffic light to turn green but Taeyeon didn’t seem to hear her. She looked at her and noticed how she was staring at the food stalls in the street they were in. She remembered clearly what Key told her earlier and she could imagine him yelling at her. “Be better than the ddukbokki.”

 

She decided to go against what he has told her and decided to follow what she felt was right. “Taeyeon-unnie, do you want to eat ddukbokki?”

 

Taeyeon looked at her and nodded eagerly. “I’ve been craving for it for a week now. I think I should be allowed to eat them now that we’ve finished recording.”

 

Yuri smiled and mentally apologized to Key. “I am not better than the ddukbokki.

 

She parked her car at the sidewalk and both of them got out to buy the food that Taeyeon’s been craving for. “Oh wait,” she said, stopping Taeyeon. She found it convenient that Taeyeon was wearing a hoodie. She carefully placed the hood on Taeyeon’s head in an attempt to slightly cover her face. She tucked the stray hair behind Taeyeon’s ear. “There, hopefully that’s enough to make you incognito for a few minutes.”

 

Taeyeon mumbled a thank you and the two of them proceeded to buy from the stall nearby.

 

They were walking back to the car when Yuri posted an important question. “Unnie, where are we supposed to eat this?”

 

“There’s this place that Yoong showed me before. Not many people go there.”

 

“Okay. Just tell me how to get there.”

 

 

---

 

 

“Goddammit! Where are they going?”

 

“Should we really continue spying on them like this?”

 

“Yes, this is for Yuri’s sake. God I told her she should do better than those spicy rice cakes.”

 

“Taeyeon-noona looked like she wanted to eat those though,” Hongbin retorted. He was able to observe Taeyeon’s face when they were buying it from the food stall.

 

“This could’ve been the perfect date. It should’ve ended with that Lady and the Tramp spaghetti scene. How is that supposed to happen when they’re eating spicy rice cakes? Follow them.”

 

 

---

 

 

“Unnie, we’re on a cliff,” Yuri said as she and Taeyeon got out of the car.

 

“Yeah,” she looked around and added, “Told you not many people go here.”

 

“Most people with suicidal tendencies opt to jump off a building nowadays. Less hassle.”

 

Taeyeon, who she could’ve sworn was too tired to even open her eyes, broke out into fits of laughter. Once she stopped laughing, she saw Yuri looking around. “Where are we supposed to sit?”

 

“You think the hood of your car could take both of our weight?”

 

Yuri shrugged and carefully sat on the hood of her car with Taeyeon following suit. So far this ideal date that Yuri had imagined is turning out so differently.

 

Taeyeon excitedly took the first bite of the spicy rice cakes. “This is so good I could cry.”

 

Yuri chuckled and ate a piece and she had to agree. “You said Yoong showed you this place?”

 

Taeyeon swallowed the food in and nodded. “She has this weird habit of finding places like this.”

 

Yuri tried hard to think of a reply but she was so nervous, her thought were pretty much in shambles so the conversation died there and they ate quietly. Taeyeon surprisingly finished hers real quick while Yuri took her sweet time to finish hers and even offered the older girl some of hers to which the latter declined.

 

Taeyeon leaned back and patted her tummy. “I can’t believe I’d feel this full just by eating ddukbokki. I feel so tired.”

 

“You guys should ask for a proper vacation after this promotion.”

 

“Yeah, we really should.” She looked at Yuri who was eating the last piece of rice cake. “So you said you were going to say something to me?”

 

Yuri cleared . She thought Taeyeon has forgotten about that. She wanted to confess but she was too nervous to even gather her thoughts properly. She didn’t want to look like a fool in front of Taeyeon and she’s afraid that if she opened now, that’s exactly how she’d look like. She saw Taeyeon yawning and typical Yuri thought it was embarrassing that it was taking her too much time to answer. “Are you sleepy? We should probably head home.”

 

“Can we stay here for a while? Fresh air’s nice.”

 

“Oh...uh, sure.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

Both of them stayed quiet, Taeyeon was too tired while Yuri had a lot on her mind. She was still trying to convince herself that now was the right to tell Taeyeon what she feels for her. Unfortunately for her, when she’s finally gathered enough courage to say it, Taeyeon was already asleep.

 

“Oh no, should I wake her up? What would Key do?”

 

 

---

 

 

“What is happening? Give me that.” Key took the binoculars from Hongbin’s hands. He was slightly impressed when the latter suddenly brought it out.

 

“Taeyeon-noona seemed to have fallen asleep.”

 

The two of them were parked a few meters from where the two was. Key wanted to applaud Hongbin for being so good at this spying thing although he never expected that the guy could be such a creep. It came in handy though.

 

“Oh great! Looks like she wouldn’t be able to do it.”

 

“Should we leave now? Yuri-noona would probably wake her up and bring her home.”

 

Key shook his head, still observing what Yuri was doing through the binoculars. “No, she’s...actually doing the opposite. Kwon Yuri, what in the hell?”

 

Yuri carefully scooched closer to Taeyeon and cautiously moved the girl’s head so that it would be leaning on her shoulder. She thought of waking her up but the peaceful state of the older girl stopped her from doing it.

 

She tried to stay awake but it was already sleepy and it was also quite late. A few minutes later, she’s finally joined Taeyeon in dream land.

 

“Looks like Yuri-noona has fallen asleep, too.”

 

Key unlocked the door and got out while Hongbin tried to stop him. “Where are you going? They can’t know we’re here.”

 

“How are they going to know we’re here? Both of them are knocked out.”

 

“Oh.” Hongbin stared at the two and smiled. “They look good together.”

 

“I know! That’s why I’ve been trying to make this happen. Well, we should go home now.”

 

“We’re going to leave them here? What if some creep shows up and do something bad to them?”

 

“Okay, first of all you’re one to talk, you creeper. Nothing’s going to happen to them. This place is practically deserted.” Key tried to look for Yuri’s phone and she found it on her pocket.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“I’m setting up an alarm for Yuri. There. Now we could leave them here. She’s going to wake up a couple of hours from now. Either this will wake her up or the mosquitoes will.”

 

“You sure about this?”

 

“Positive. Now let’s go because eye bags are not my thing.”

 

Just like Key has predicted, Yuri woke up due to the sound of alarm. Also she felt the mosquitoes feasting on her blood. She checked the time and it was almost 5am. She tilted her head a bit and saw Taeyeon still sleeping, not even bothered by the blood ers. Yuri swatted them away and gently woke her up.

 

“Taeyeon-unnie...wake up.” Taeyeon shifted a bit but it took a little more nudging before she finally woke up.

 

“Did we sleep here?” she asked groggily.

 

“Yeah, sorry I didn’t wake you up and I ended falling asleep.”

 

Taeyeon rubbed her eyes and started scratching the parts of her face that were bitten by the pesky mosquitoes. Yuri stopped her from doing it and said, “Don’t scratch it. I have a cream for that.” Maybe it was because she just woke up that she wasn’t aware that she’s cupping Taeyeon’s cheek in a very affectionate way. When she finally realized what she was doing, she removed her hand from the girl’s face and quickly got off the hood. “I should get you home now so you could rest more.”

 

She thanked the heavens that Taeyeon could barely open her eyes or else she would’ve seen how badly Yuri was blushing. The thought of them spending the night together made her blush even more.

 

 

---

 

 

“Unnie, we’re here. Do you need me to help you go up?”

 

“No. I’ll be fine.” Taeyeon stepped out of the car and before she went inside the building, she knocked on the window of Yuri’s car which the latter opened for her. “That was fun. We should do that again and you haven’t told me what you were going to say to me yet.”

 

Yuri nervously giggled. “Then there should really be a next time. I promise to tell you then. Oh here.” She opened the glove compartment and grabbed the cream for the mosquito bites.

 

“Thanks. Drive safely.”

 

Yuri followed Taeyeon with her gaze and when the older girl was out of sight, she finally let out the squeal she was holding back. When she got back home, she dialled the first person she wanted to tell about her amazing night to.

 

 

______

i apologize for the lack of yoonsic and for not updating for quite some time. i never intended for key to play such a big part in the girls' relationships. it just happened that way. and i still haven't quite figured out what to do with krysfany yet lol i'm trying to wing it

Title: Tok Tok Tok by 4men