Chapter 7

Lightless

"Listen, I'm sorry about this." 
"For.. What?" 
He sighed then gestured with his hands to the area surrounding us. 
"For basically kidnapping you. I thought I knew you, but I obviously don't. I'm sorry for that." 
I lowered my head to avert from his intense gaze that was fixed on me, thinking about the past moments I had here. I've only been living here for about two days, and yet no harm has been done; he shouldn't be apologizing. 
"No, it's not your fault. I'm sorry that I've been burdening you, I should really be in the homeless shelter but.." I trailed off. I wasn't going to admit to anyone else if I couldn't even do so to myself. I was a coward for not turning myself in to the shelter, they would've provided me with a roof over my head, a plate of food to eat, clothes to wear, and it was their job to implement people like us with those necessities. 
"You were scared?" He filled in for me. I expected him to burst into a pack of laughter but he didn't. He was kind enough to consider my feelings and to leave the conversation at that. 
I didn't notice Joon enter the apartment again until he patted the area between my shoulder blades. 
"What happened?" He inquired, witnessing my pained look, then glancing at Yoseob. "Did he do something to you? I'll beat him up." 
A dry laugh ground against my sandpaper-like throat. 
"No, I was thinking about something." I put a delightful expression so he wouldn't suspect anything, I wasn't in the mood for repeating anything, especially something I was shady about. 
"Want to watch TV?" Yoseob asked Joon even though his gaze was still directed towards me. "There's a variety show on in seven minutes." 
"Sure." 
I dragged my legs that I sometimes called my dead wight, after the two boys and to the couch. They allowed me to take a seat first, which I did, with sudden ease. Yoseob crashed on my right and Joon on my left. 
Great, I'm in the middle. 
"What's this show about?" I asked. 
Yoseob turned towards me, "It's a drama that just aired. I think this is the first episode that they're playing tonight." 
I nodded in comprehension, glancing at him one last time before I focused on the TV that stood before us. It was perched on a table that held other items such as keys, a sapphire cellphone case, and of course the TV. It was rather huge in this compact room, making everything seemed crammed, like the three of us on this couch. I was afraid the legs would give out any second and we would be plummeted backwards into the hardwood floors. 
"You bastard!" Someone screamed, scaring the living daylights out of me. The TV didn't have that type of emotion radiating off of the characters. I peeked to my right, Yoseob was fine, holding a pillow close to his chest. To my left, Joon was cursing under his breath; it was him. 
"Yah, cry baby, here," I reached to the coffee table that was placed in front of us, pulling a tissue out of the box. "You look like you needed one." 
"I'm not crying! It's just he's just a jerk to her! Does he not consider how she feels?" 
Yoseob chuckled to himself, causing me to burst out laughing. Joon didn't seem like the type person to wail over a soap opera. I was determined to discover what other embarrassing habits he contained. 
Out of nowhere, my stomach rumbled in frustration and I suddenly remembered I haven't ate much today; pancakes and ice cream. I had ice cream about a half hour ago as something to munch on. Of course, I didn't want to bother either one of them, so I didn't dare to say a word. 
Minute after agonizing minute, my stomach would stir with hunger. I hoped they were paying too much attention on the TV to notice. 
"Evie," Yoseob started. I looked briefly at him, then held my stomach as it began to release pains. "Hungry?" 
I wish I wouldn't have but I nodded my head. He pushed himself off of the cushion, padding his bare feet into the kitchen. 
"Finally, we're alone again." Joon wrapped an arm around my shoulder, yanking me closer to him. 
"Now," he puckered his lips while inching near my face. He was closing the gap between us. 
"What the hell are you doing?" 
His eyes shot open, his lips still pressed together. He backed away. A light shade of rose dusted his cheeks. He wiped his hands on his jeans; his palms were sweaty. I made him nervous. 
"Oh, you want a kiss?" I asked loudly so Yoseob could hear. Ask and he shall receive. I stood, dragging him up with me so Yoseob could see what I was about to do. 
"Close your eyes." 
Eyes closed, his face was tense. 
I lightly kissed my hand, then stepped a few inches back to allow my hand better access. I brought my hand forward to slap his lips, an audible pop echoed. 
"Yah!!" He held his face. "What was that?!" 
"Evie, that was awesome!" Yoseob voiced in the back. 
I sprinted as far as I could from Joon, and found myself in the direction of the kitchen. I hid behind Yoseob, making sure that neither of us would get burned by the steaming pan on the stove. 
Joon screamed my name and a few words that were either incoherent or said under his breath. 
"You're going to get it," he joked. "Oh, no Joon's coming. We're so frightened!" Yoseob said with sarcasm. "What so ever shall we do?" 
"I think we should run." I joined in. 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

Pic credits: http://dramaswhoo.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/iu-korean-singer-2.jpg